Reckon Ball: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

By Jim Rossignol on November 14th, 2011 at 8:32 am.

You know what I reckon?
The latest dev diary from the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning team (which you can see below) details a bit about how the class system works. We’ve heard a bunch about this before, it’s their “destiny” system that tries to let players make decisions about their character creation as you progress, rather than being defined by your character choice at the start, and then only slot in a few attributes. It basically turns the tradition on its head, allowing you to unlock new destinies (read: classes) depending on how you spend points on the various skill trees. There’s also some fancy in-game footage of what is shaping up to be an interesting-looking, if very trad looking, RPG.

I quite like how appropriate the fiction of this is to a videogame, which is that you are “the only being without a fate in a deterministic universe.” That makes some kind of sense.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Shinryoma says:

OK. Unfortunately we’ve seen enough dev diaries to know that they’re no indication of how good the game will be.

2. Icyicy9999 says:

The game has an all-star team behind it, but it doesn’t look as promising as I expected it to be when I heard the names behind it.

Hopefully it will be good, and hopefully EA won’t butcher the franchise for the sequel like they do with BioWare RPGs.

3. CaspianRoach says:

I’m just glad for any high quality RPG title in this age of console QTE shooters. Kudos to developers who make games that make you think.

4. Sian says:

That’s all fine and dandy, but the most important thing to me: Will this require Origin or is that optional?

5. The Sombrero Kid says:

Thought this was a 360 exclusive?

6. pakoito says:

Yes the combat is real time twitch based, but that is in service of immersion IMO, same way Monster Hunter or Dark Souls. If you guys read about the skill system it uses, it looks like a lot of effort and thinking has gone into it, enough to not enrage RPGCODEX. Link: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=242

* Combat and non-combat skills separated
    * Skills increased by use
    * Total skill cap so you can’t master all of them
    * 3 skill trees (mage, warrior, thief), equipable “class” with special skills unlocked by combat skill combinations

• Andy_Panthro says:

For immersion? Not sure what real-time combat has to do with that. It’s not the combat, the graphics or the viewpoint that will draw me into a game (but they can certainly help), it’s the quality of the game in terms of the construction of the world and the writing of the characters and plot.

The video hasn’t sold me much on that yet, but it’s enough to keep my eye on at least.

7. misterT0AST says:

If anything I will find a way to get at least the soundtrack. Grant Kirkhope composed it! I still have stuck in my head all of his music from Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie. All of it. All. Of. It.

Comment on this story