Skyrim: Say, Have You Met Lydia?

By John Walker on November 15th, 2011 at 10:58 am.

But no tattoos, as far as I can tell.

Ah, this meeting brings back memories. Childhood days, alto wine, romance! My life was wrapped around the quests. Her name was Lydia. I met her at the Stormreach Castle in 4E 201, marked down from 4E 241.

Ahhhh, Lydia. She was the most glooooorious creature under the suns. Marie, Ajira, Akorithi. Rolled into one.

Oh Lydia, oh Lydia
Now have you met Lydia?
Lydia the uuuuuuuseless companion

She has eyes that folks adore so
And a breastplate even more so

Lydia, oh Lydia, as much use as chlamydia
Oh Lydia the queen of to-dos
In a doorway she’ll stand, if given the chance
Blocking access to chests is her foremost romance
Her ultimate goal is to block your advance
You can’t go anywhere with Lydia

La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

When her bow is unfurled, she’ll fire arrows at the world
But targets need not bother her
She’ll miss rats in Ivarstead, spiders, the undead
And not trouble the wolves of High Hrothgar

La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

Oh Lydia, oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia?
Oh Lydia the uuuuuuuseless companion
When you go into a basement
At the entrance she’ll make her encampment

Lydia, oh Lydia, get lost in Kolskeggr
Oh Lydia the queen of to-dos
To both combat and tact you only bring shame
With every yawn you emit, my ire I proclaim
Yet whenever you die I load my savegame
You can’t go anywhere with Lydia

La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

With profuse apologies to Groucho Marx and Yip Harburg.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Njordsk says:

She died in an ambush, sorry you learn it on the internet.

Damn thieves !

• Stylosa says:

Lydia got killed, how……I have no idea. She’s dead outside my house in Whiterun. It’s quite funny every time I go back and people stop to stare at the corpse, haha.

I find corpses funny? I’m not right in the head it would seem….

• psyk says:

“I find corpses funny? I’m not right in the head it would seem….”

As long as you haven’t tried to drag her corpse back inside to put in your bed I think your ok.

• Saiko Kila says:

If you wait for a nude mod before looting the body, then it’s time to start worrying.

• Alexander Norris says:

She died in Markarth at the climactic moment at the end of the first part of *that* quest (the bit before it goes all Riddick). I considered F5ing, but then decided to live with it because it was dramatic.

• Amnesiac says:

She got mauled by a bear about twenty minutes after I asked her to follow me

• Synesthesia says:

well, i saw a single raining mammoth. That was nice.

2. spcd says:

Lydia is a dumb …. Only thing she does is standing in doorways so I can’t get out. So I killed her.

3. Vexing Vision says:

I demand an audio-recording. Sheogorath will be pleased.

4. Kdansky says:

She followed me for about twenty minutes, then I sent her packing. So bloody annoying. You should have added a verse about her rushing in front of my firebolts (killed her twice by accident) and/or shouting loudly while I try to be a sneaky bastard.

• tehfish says:

My horse likes doing that too

(well not the shouting part)

It’s a remarkably fireproof horse though, seems to not mind being set on fire repeatedly. :D

5. TwitchierFish says:

My Lydia died, I’ve not felt this bad since Dogmeat got killed in Fallout 3.

• phlebas says:

What are you talking about? Dogmeat didn’t die in Fallout 3. He definitely didn’t charge off and get himself killed by a mirelurk before I had a chance to do anything about it. That never happened.

• Meusli says:

I left that damned dog at home, it was nothing but a death finder.

• Patches the Hyena says:

I made him un-killable via console. It was glorious.

• mike2R says:

Dogmeat died three times in the space of twenty minutes immediately after I got him.

Third time he stayed dead.

• Werthead says:

The first time I met Dogmeat was when I was returning to Megaton having completed the final quest in BROKEN STEEL. The very last thing I did in the game before retiring it was picking him up and taking him home.

Something tells me that I saved myself a lot of headaches this way.

• jalf says:

My dogmeat got lost for weeks. Sent him to fetch something or other in the middle of a gunfight, as I recall, and when he didn’t return, I figured he’d probably gotten himself killed.

Fast forward several real-world days, and *a long* time ingame, and I run into him some place halfway across the map. WITH THE AMMO I ASKED HIM TO FETCH (I think it was ammo, it might have been something else)

• The Pink Ninja says:

And this is why everyone uses ED:E in New vegas: She can shoot from a distance and has the amazingly useful radar perk.

• Mistabashi says:

I used the Dogmeat armour mod to give the poor fella a fighting chance. It also allows you to strap-on some packs, which besides allowing him to carry stuff for you also makes him look quite amusing.

• Kleppy says:

Yeah, but also: Rex from New Vegas is a huge fan of charging a pack of Cazadors, getting poisoned (a robot dog gets poisoned, right) and subsequently dying after I saved. Fuck you Rex, this is why I was supposed to be a lone wanderer.

6. Nathan says:

Yes, I have met Lydia. And she’s *mine*. Mine I tell you!

7. Uglycat says:

I found her very useful as Dragon-breath-target-fodder ™

8. Nevard says:

I guess it’s not just my Lydia who has brain damage then
    Every time I walk into MY house she says “are you lost?”

• caddyB says:

She’s doing the girl irony thing. She means you never come home so only reason for you to be there is being lost.

9. psyk says:

Yep she seems to of taken up squating in my house.

• Kellador says:

She’s always rummaging through my things in my Whiterun house. I’m afraid I’ll have to vacate her from the guest room when she knocks another tankard of the living room table!

10. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

One of my favourite songs of the Marx Brothers, bravo Mr. Walker.

• maninahat says:

Thank goodness there are people still familiar with the Marx brothers in this day and age.

• Starky says:

How could anyone not be familiar with brothers who wrote the philosophy that inspired communism?

(jk)

• ptrx says:

Yeah, I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this song stuck in my head from the moment I saw her. Where are the tattoos in this game?

11. Zorganist says:

Lydia killed herself by running in front of my sword during a fight with a necromancer. I was killed by a giant whilst kiting a mammoth afterwards, though.

The most useful thing she’s done is carry all of my crap before I can find a vendor I haven’t already bankrupted.

12. callmecheez says:

Her sarcastic line when you select the ‘lets trade items’ dialogue is so annoying.

Hope it gets a mod so you can just look at a companion and select “trade”.

• John Walker says:

Oh, a thousand times this.

• Kdansky says:

Now, now, we don’t want a useful UI, do we?

• Mitchk says:

“I’m sworn to carry your burdens(!)”

God I hated hearing that. I’m a massive loot hoarder so I was constantly throwing battle axes and suits of armour at her. Listening to her moan about it drove me insane!

Unfortunately my Lydia is now dead; I climbed a mountain and found an old snowy ruin laden with bandits. During battle, I snuck up on an unsuspecting foe and cracked them over the back of the head with my axe. Turns out it was Lydia!

I didn’t load my quicksave…

• Fox89 says:

I slapped her for that once. I was giving her some Dwarven Gauntlets I had just found and a forsworn bow, both of which were better than the equipment she was using by default. That’s not ‘carrying my burdens’ you ungrateful woman, it’s a present!!

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Fireball -> Dead Thrall -> Fixed.

• Doth Messar says:

At least it’s not as annoying as hearing that idiot in the companions tell you “I would be dead if not for Vignar”. I avoid him because I can’t stand hearing him tell that pitiful tale. One of these times I’m going to bludgeon him with my war hammer, and I will love every second of it.

• Stuart Walton says:

Is there a console command to change her name to ‘Pack Mule’?

If not, let’s hope a construction set is on the way.

13. Wertymk says:

I gave her a good fire enchanted great axe, a +15% 2 handed weapon damage amulet and better armor. Now she’s unstoppable. All I have to do is watch and maybe heal her from time to time. So, not so useless if used right.

• President Weasel says:

Wait, you can give stuff to her? So she can be a pack mule AND slightly better equipped?
      I’ve not been playing for that long, don’t look at me like that.

• DigitalSignalX says:

If you’re practiced in smithing and enchanting, your companions can actually break the game they’re so unstoppable. Kit her out in superior Dwarven or steel plate heavy with +health stats, some jewelry with ice and fire resists, and a good sword/shield combo and she’ll tank two ice trolls at once. If you give her HP pots she uses them too when things get hectic.

In dungeons we sneaky sneak and I usually one shot everything as it appears despite her rattling like an imperial kitchen behind me. When you get to the “boss fight crowd room” I’ll uncrouch, let her aggro everything and just sit back peppering with arrows while she works.

“Look, a cave! Wonder what’s inside?” – BLOOD AND XP.- “Is that all you’ve got!?”
      Boss fight imminent: “I don’t like the looks of this”
      Room with hidden exit/door: “I’ve never seen anything like this before.”
      Glass Sword, Y U WEIGH SO MUCH? “I am sworn to carry your burden…”

Too bad her marriage script is bugged, else I’d make her the full time tank and spank. Ya, I went there.

• Patches the Hyena says:

DigitalSignalX, that is brilliant. I will strive to emulate you… as soon as the game arrives from foreign climes.

• mike2R says:

She’ll use a staff in her off-hand too.

When I faced “that” frost troll early in the main quest, I had a summoned Flame Atronach flinging fireballs, Lydia with a staff casting flames, and my spell-sword self casting more.

Didn’t even get close enough for me to hit it with my mace.

• simonh says:

Yeah, she’s not useless at all!
      I gave her the two-handed Axe of Whiterun that you get at the same time as her, and a nice bow. She can hold her own in a fight, has infinite arrows, and effectively doubles your carrying capacity, and as long you don’t hit her she’ll only get knocked down by enemies, never die. Sure she has some problems following you in the world, but she’ll always find you eventually once you stop or enter a dungeon or house.

She’ll even dual-wield staffs if you give her two! The charges will run out quick though so it’s not really worth it other than for some specific hard fight.

• Doth Messar says:

Are you sure she is in invincible? I mean more often than not she does just get knocked down, and I’ve seen a giant launch her into the stratosphere, but when I fought Red Eagle he crushed her with a power attack and left her crumpled in a corner. (Maybe I hit her with my axe, as she was always running in front of me, but I’m fairly certain Red Eagle has that honor)

• Salt says:

When at low health Lydia (like most man and mer NPCs) will kneel on the ground and call for mercy. The enemy AI is set to ignore targets that are doing that. So long as enemies aren’t chopping off too much health in one blow or spewing area of effect attacks she will tend to stay alive.

She definitely gets more useful in a fight once you give her a set of nice gear. My character is all spells and light armour, so Lydia got the heavy stuff including the odd Daedric artefact.

I’ve now replaced her in adventures with a conjured Frost Antronach. It serves the same role of attracting attention away from my feeble elf but with the significant advantage of vanishing in a puff of magicka when it needs to get out the way or stop making noise.

• Apples says:

Can you actually give the NPCs mercy if they ask for it, or is it just related to enemy AI? I stopped attacking once upon hearing that, but the ungrateful bugger crawled away, got up and started attacking me again. It would be cool if you could spare NPCs and have them offer to join you after they recover out of gratitude.

• mantel says:

I offloaded some stuff I didn’t want to use and she turned in to the anti-bandit. We got ambushed by a few bandits and by the time I had sunk my axe in to one of them she had chopped up two of them with her dwarven sword and was making a mage in to a pin cushion.

• vexis58 says:

I am also here to defend Lydia. She is the best thing ever. She is the only NPC in this game whose name I remember.

The only downsides I’ve found are that she is completely unable to avoid stepping on traps, and she doesn’t understand the concept of “get out of my way, this hallway is too narrow for both of us!”

She carries my junk for me, allowing me to loot twice as much stuff before I have to go back to town to sell everything. She doesn’t judge me if I steal things, she’ll even help me carry them, and sneak around whenever I do. She can’t use magic, but I give her all of those random miscellaneous staves I always forget to use, so she’s always throwing icicles at the dragons, summoning a wolf familiar, and fearing undead into the next room. I gave her a magical two-handed sword and some dwarven armor, and she’s an unstoppable juggernaut who defends my squishy self with her life. She also has a built-in bow for hitting things that are too far away (though lately she prefers to use her icicle staff)

Well, almost unstoppable. I once encountered a lich that I only managed to kill by exploiting the terrain and pelting it with fireballs from the top of a cliff, and when I finally won that fight, I found Lydia dead on the side of the mountain. She had died from the onslaught while I was running around in a panic while chain-guzzling potions and trying to not die. I was very sad that my friend was dead, looted all of the stuff from her body and stashed it in my house, then I heard about a resurrect dev command I could use to bring her back. Yay! Lydia’s okay!

• etusa says:

What difficulty are you people playing when you are saying she is unstoppable? I gave her pretty good armor (dwarwen), good shield+good 1h and some bling but she kept dying pretty fast :o that and stupid ai and stupid path-finding made me from really liking her to hating her. Although I was slightly sad when I couldn’t find her after I told her to return home :/ guess she was bound to fail in that too..

14. CaspianRoach says:

Awwww, that’s so cute.
    Too bad she doesn’t have any voiced lines apart from about 20 of them. :(

15. apocraphyn says:

The errant sexism oft’ displayed by Mr Walker has evidently reached it’s peak through the belittling of this empowered female figure, (likely to affirm his own masculinity).

I, for one, am ashamed.

16. Stitched says:

“Wait here, Pack mule.”
    *adventures for several hours and gathers loot*
    “Carry this and follow me back to town”.

The only thing missing in Skyrim is the Torchlight ability to send your companions back to town to sell all the crap you give them and bring back the gold.

Mod community – make it happen.

17. Taverius says:

I give mine the second armor set, and a good weapon – she’s unstoppable, saved my life more than once :D

• CaspianRoach says:

And if you learn Healing Hands and let her do all the work it’s a good way to level Restoration. (on master difficulty)

• Kdansky says:

I don’t think playing on Master difficulty improves the game. Enemies just have a ton of HP and hit like a truck, which means one constantly kites everything (sprint-shout + exploding runes + bow) and that only breaks immersion.

• CaspianRoach says:

Well yeah there are some rough edges with the master difficulty, for example, brawls. They become a 5 minute left mouse button clickfest because of the enormous hp pools but other than that I’m quite happy with the difficulty. Not to mention that my Atronach + Lidya do all the tanking and most of the mobs die before even noticing me or ringing the alarm (sneak bow crits x3 are awesome).
      And there is always a countermeasure to your enemies’ abilities, there’s Armor spells to protect you from melee/archery and there’s potions, resists and wards to protect you from projectile spells. The game was clearly designed with the console difficulty in mind so upping it a bit seems like a logical move to me.

• psyk says:

What is “console difficulty”?

Ninja gadien on the hardest difficulty would like a word

• CaspianRoach says:

“I can’t aim for shit because of my sluggy controller” difficulty. Sup, autoaim. Plus I’m fairly certain you can’t effectively kite and dodge attacks in Skyrim with a controller like I do with the mouse. Almost instant 180 degree spins and precise bow shots are some of the things you can’t do without it.

• psyk says:

I’m using mouse and keyboard.

How do you dodge attacks with a mouse? going to be hard unless you have binded movement to your extra mouse buttons. You know what’s funny people will be completing the game on consoles and with the 360 pad on pc on the same setting your playing on.

““I can’t aim for shit because of my sluggy controller” difficulty. Sup, autoaim. ”

That’s you, for me both just as easy to use MW3 (lol) no aim assist sensitivity on 10 way to easy. Just got to get used to them.

• Joe The Wizard says:

She’s my front line. If she gets killed, I reload. And, if she’s in the way, I just Shout push her out of the way. Done and done.

• DrGonzo says:

I play it with both controller and mouse and keyboard depending on whether I’m playing in bed or at the desk. It is indeed much, much easier with a mouse and keyboard.

18. riflez says:

I really need to trade her in for a newer model..”I am sworn to carry your burdens” Yes and I swear I’m locking you in a crypt shortly.

• protospork says:

My Lydia is locked in a crypt, unfortunately. When you complete Meridia’s quest she teleports you-and-only-you out of the dungeon, then locks the door behind you.

I miss you, Lydia :(

• diebroken says:

Ha! At least she’s no where near as annoying as the Adoring Fan in Oblivion. Who coincidentally got ‘accidentally’ lost on one of the planes of oblivion… ;)

19. quaunaut says:

Shut your mouth, Lydia is the best. I love you honey.

20. JM88 says:

She makes a good pack mule, made her carry all my dragon crap before I could buy a house.

21. Avenger says:

Wonderful…

22. sneetch says:

I left her in the pub. I’m a busy dunmer! I gots sneaks to sneak and peeps to backstab brutally and some lady in clunky metal armour isn’t gonna help that!

Mind you, I didn’t know you could change her gear, I’ll put her in my house when I get one, got my first horse (very fat horse, gonna cost a fortune to feed it) yesterday so I’m a bit skint.

He may be fat but he is a ninja horse! I dismounted to go take on some bandits and he went apeshit on them!

• psyk says:

She just moves in as far as I could tell. I left her in the castle went to get some gold brought my house dumped the library I had in my pack went off for more gold came back and she was walking down the stairs thought I was getting robbed at first.

• AmateurScience says:

My horse was killed :( died right under me.

We got too close to a giant and he had a swing at us. Mr Tubbs (he did like the sugar cubes) took the hit but survived. As we galloped away we jumped over a rocky outcropping. There was a short drop and he took some damage from the fall, he collapsed and I was thrown from the saddle. There was nothing I could do for him.

One of the most upsetting things that has ever happened to me in a game. I don’t think I shall be buying another horse…

(sorry for off topic but this has hit me rather hard)

• psyk says:

:( Is like the time I killed the supposedly ultra hard horse in RDR:undead (name?) by sliding down a cliff no leaving the ground involved made me sad.

• Quizboy says:

My horse was killed

Mine just accelerated away sideways, while standing stock-still. I was happily trotting over a bridge when some scoundrel tried to accost me. I get off my horse to remonstrate with the riff-raff, and Captain Sugarlumps just levitates merrily away, through the bridge and trees, gathering speed as he vanishes over the horizon in a horsey blur.

I like to think he’s okay. Out there. In space. Possibly with a poptart body and trailing a rainbow.

• Telke says:

AmateurScience, I know the feeling – I was devastated when my main RDR horse, personally hunted, lassoed and broken in, slipped down a cliff and died while fleeing bandits.

• sneetch says:

@AmateurScience

I’m sorry for your pain. :(

@Quizboy

I’m hoping my horse is too fat to be able to approach the speed of light like that I don’t think I’ll be able to afford another horse.

On a completely unrelated note, I was delighted (although it was a minor pain) to find out that you can’t fast travel while encumbered. So much for my plans to load up on all teh lewts then zip back to town before strolling slowly to see some random shopkeeper and dump them on him for gold.

• Yargh says:

At least you didn’t accidentally shoot your favourite horse in the back of the head while hunting deer Telke…

• Saiko Kila says:

Is there any special horse in Skyrim, as it was in Oblivion? The oblivion special (Shadowmere) was not only exceptionally good, it was unkillable. It was the first and only horse in Bolivion I was attached to emotionally. Kind of, both Shadowmere and my character were female.

• Apples says:

Nevermind special horses, are there any that just aren’t really slow? All the ones I’ve seen are 1000G, and I could probably run faster than mine.

• Kandon Arc says:

I gave up on horses after my first interrupted my stealthy approach on a bandit camp by charging in and attacking everything. The fact that it was agonisingly slow didn’t endear it much to me either.

• jealouspirate says:

I’ve gotten two horses killed so far. I’d buy another but I fear for its safety.

The first horse died when I was swarmed by three ice wraiths. He died bravely defending me.
      The second had an unfortunate encounter with a dragon.

• Archonsod says:

Use sprint (alt) to make it gallop. As the loading tip says, what they lack in speed they make up for in endurance.

• Heisenberg says:

i had to put my horse out of its misery.
      …not because he was injured, i just didnt like the crappy/laggy animations and it actually seems worse then the horses in oblivion.

• Salt says:

According to UESP.net, all horses in Skyrim have the same speed and 1,000 gold cost. Only difference is in the colouring.

I’m a special snowflake and ride a horse named Frost that there’s a quest around in Riften. I don’t think there’s a way to end the quest where you keep the horse, so I just galloped off on it and used the console so that mounting him wouldn’t count as theft every time I did it.

Bring up console, click horse, type ClearOwnership

23. noodlecake says:

She kills more things than I do! I’ve got her kitted out with kick ass equipment so she tends to get to stuff with her greatsword before I can fireball them. She gets in the way a bit sometimes but I can normally squeeze past.

• Snidesworth says:

Likewise. I could do without her getting in the way and the endless moaning whenever I’m trying to give her stuff, but she’s currently rolling around with a bunch of dwarven gear (greatsword included) and she destroys most things I come across.

And, as Uglycat said, she’s top tier dragon bait.

24. GenBanks says:

I just leave her in my house. In theory she’s supposed to protect it from thieves right?

25. Carra says:

Spoilers, spoilers, oh no!

26. Clavus says:

I turned my Lydia in a Space Marine: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11217331/screens/2011-11-14_00003.jpg

She tanks the f*ck out of everything while I get the chance to get some spells out. Plus she can carry all that heavy loot when we raid another dungeon.

She never dies for me either. She only kneels down at some point after taking too much damage.

• amorpheous says:

Yeah, my Lydia does the same even after being blasted by a dragon 3 or 4 times. She just kneels for a bit then gets up and starts fighting again.

• Apples says:

I think companions have some kind of health regen/damage threshold mechanic going on, because I’ve seen mine doing the ‘damaged crouch’ and getting back up – but also she once died after taking a whole load of damage at once.

• Snidesworth says:

Yeah, when companions get down to critical health they drop to one knee and become disabled until combat ends. Most enemies will ignore them. The ones that don’t, or the ones that hit sufficiently hard to take huge chunks of health off, will still kill your companions though. As will you, if your companion drops down in the middle of a hectic fight.

• mike2R says:

Yeah it is a clever mechanic, sort of half-way between stupidly immortal and stupidly dying all the time.

Probably works better if you are a melee character though… I keep Emperor Palpatineing my companions to death.

• Grayvern says:

Companions tend to be pretty unkillable if a fight goes on long enough they sometimes get back up from the damage crouch.

The game pretty much ignores them when they are crouched but they can be killed if you or the game accidentally hit them.

27. Apples says:

I’ve got the woman from Azura’s Shrine instead (Lydia buggered off somewhere after getting lost). I accepted a quest in the mage’s college, turned around, heard screaming and saw a “quest failed” line appear across the screen. She’d walked in front of the questgiver’s practice spell and murdered him. Brilliant AI.

• Doth Messar says:

That’s hilarious. I can’t fault her that, I would have done the same thing. As for Lydia, she’s in Whiterun’s Dragonsreach, waiting for you at the tables, most likely.

28. Jockie says:

Mine died after she was set on fire by some nasty wizards, then stumbled onto a pressure plate unleashing one of those slamming wall traps. Nice way to go.

I had to get a new companion and return to the cave to pick up all the useful gear she was carting around (I eventually married her replacement).

29. amorpheous says:

I gave my Lydia a two-handed Dwarven axe and an Elven bow and now if I take her with me she tends to kill off enemies off before I can even touch them, which is annoying as I’d like to level my own skills up. >_<

30. Wubble69 says:

Vigilance is more annoying!

Barking ALL the time.

I traveled as far away from his home as possible and then sent him home so he had to walk the complete length of the map to get home.

THAT will learn him!

31. godgoo says:

Cudos for the Marx Bros reference.

32. Jams O'Donnell says:

I can’t remember where I left my Lydia. Hopefully she’s not stranded in the wilderness somewhere.

33. Inglourious Badger says:

Oh yeah! Lydia. I’d totally forgotten about her. Literally the next quest I did after being, err, given her (is that the least sexist term?) forced her to stay at home as I had to bring a ‘Companion’ with me, from the Companions funnily enough. He was useful but sometimes when I was sneaking I was SO sneaky that he lost me and I had to run back and get him. And now I have no one. It’s better that way (and in the game…etc)

34. Belmakor says:

Lydia doesn’t die. You KILL her.

To elaborate; she will just drop to one knee if her health hits zero during combat (mouse over her to see her health). Either she regenerates her health a little and rejoins the fight or you accidentally hit her with a spell, sword or arrow and she will immediately die. Try it!

She is awesome.

• Nevard says:

Actually that’s not true, she does enter that life saving mode at low health yes, but it’s not exclusively you that can kill her.
      She doesn’t become invincible, any damage will finish her off and often she’ll be killed dead before she enters safe mode.

• Archonsod says:

Enemies stop targeting her when she’s down though, so it’s only if you kill her or you’re up against something using AoE attacks.

• Doth Messar says:

As I’ve said earlier (and read other people’s accounts and explanations) I’m fairly certain they can die from high damage dealing enemies (Bosses etc). I lost my Lydia to Red Eagle as he bashed her brains in. I was far across the room healing up, so there was no way I could have killed her. I also lost that “Uthergred the Unbroken” to a Dwemer Centurion/Morlock (forgot their names, but they live underground) combo.

35. Drake Sigar says:

When she fires off an arrow, her face will flush red
    For she regularly plants them, in the back of your head.

36. Bluerps says:

Heh. She approached me and explained her position as a housecarl. I nodded gravely, understanding the honour that had been conferred to me. Then I ended dialogue, walked out of the door and have not spoken to her since.

I like that the game gives me an underling, I just don’t want to take anyone with me while adventuring (independent of their usefulness). I think I will buy a house soon, so that she has something to do (because someone has to guard it).

37. Christian O. says:

How can you make a game like Fallout 3 and have someone make Fallout: New Vegas, then make a new game on a new engine and manage to make the companion A.I. somehow worse?

Anyone tried the Eldergleam tree mission? Where you have to escourt a dude from Whiterun to Eldergleam if you want “the good” option? He attacks everything that even glance at me, including dragons, an entire bandit hideout and a giant spider, and he can’t be healed and has no weapons. Whoever designed that mission needs to transfer to Hell.

• zontax says:

A new engine? what game have you been playing?

It’s obviously a slightly modified gamebyro engine.

• Jigowatt says:

Oh man I did the Eldergleam quest yesterday. That guy is such an idiot. At one point he ran off the road, waded through some rapids and started trying to take down a large frostbite spider by PUNCHING IT IN THE FACE. Needless to say, he didn’t last long. I ended up loading and frantically shooting the spider with arrows before he could get across the river!

BUT THEN, when we finally arrived at the sanctuary, he just stood around and didn’t say a word to me, so I had no idea there was an alternative to cutting the tree! Thus, I blame the deaths of those innocent worshippers on fucking Maurice Jaundice or whatever his name was.

Haven’t met Lydia yet, but I have Jenassa from Whiterun following me. She’s not that annoying actually, and seems to be pretty useful in a fight.

• Doth Messar says:

Yeah Janessa is bad ass. I never gave her any new armor or anything and she pretty much holds her own. She also doesn’t speak much, which is a plus. And when she does it’s fairly relevant.

38. The Tupper says:

I now have that song going through my head repetitively: the bloody Muppets’ version.

Thanks a bunch, John.

• Rhygadon says:

Yep, I’ve got the muppets version stuck in my head now too, despite having last heard it, oh, probably about 25 years ago. That’s some evil songcraft.

39. Gnarf says:

Lydia not actual companion. Actual companion Horse.

40. 3lbFlax says:

I keep meeting new potential companions, but I don’t want any of them because I’m too fond of the woman whose name I forget but whose companionship I earned by bare-knuckle fighting her until she loved me. She wields a greatsword so I don’t have to, though I am starting to wonder if she’s stealing all my XP with her murderous antics.

41. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

She’s not as stupid as the Jarl of Morthal who’s gone off to confront her wizard because he’s been upto mischief but instead of telling him off, she just stands in his house, day and night, just staring at him. Her daughter is being a bit uncommunicative too, which is really annoying as apparantly she is supposed to give me the third bit of a quest to allow me to become Thane of Morthal.

I leave Lydia at home to guard my cool chest that I’ve filled with tankards I’ve nicked from every pub. I either take Aela or Ria with me on quests. I gave Ria some nice armour and she isn’t completely useless. I never met them outside Whiterun though, I did find the corpse of a giant. Apparantly I missed out on an introductory scripted event there.

42. theblazeuk says:

Lydia was a useful distraction and able fighter in levels 2-3. Then I walked into the Falmer cave ahead of schedule and we bravely fought through the three monsters guarding the front of the cave, before encountering their pets.

One of those hideous things nearly killed me so she sacrificed herself, giving me the chance to finish it off with my last magicka. Then I noticed that four more of the things were scrabbling around the corner, so I looted her corpse and legged it. She will be remembered, though she will not be buried.

43. Dominic White says:

Lydia lasted until I hit around Level 12, then she got jumped by a pair of trolls and a dragon. Useless? Far from it – she handled most of the heavy stabbing up until that point.

44. Belsameth says:

I actually love her to bits!
    Now that dog for the Deava quest was annoying. It ran through a lair murdering *everybody* and when not going on a mad killing spree it was so busy humping my leg, it actually pushed me away. Very, very annoying. (Yes, that dog even murdered the boss room. All I had to do was loot).

Already been decking out Lydia, but reading this she’ll get a nice new set of armour too… :)

45. Calderwook says:

She can’t be killed in my game for some reason. She just submits for a bit then gets up again.

• Squiddity says:

They enter that state, but if they take more damage, they can still be killed.

46. Kandon Arc says:

When I first met Lydia, I thought ‘Companions? In a Bethesda game? That’ll end well’ and so left her in the Jarl’s palace. Seems that was the right decision.

47. sneetch says:

Does Lydia or other companions have a horse or do you have to buy them one or do they just run along after you?

• Apples says:

They just run along. It looks silly, and probably causes problems when you go up a very steep slope (since the horses can go up steeper ones than people can, even though that makes no sense)

48. Metonymy says:

What’s kind of hilarious to me is that I’ve been mercilessly murdering everyone I find even remotely annoying, and so far there have been like no repercussions.

I killed some poor old lady in a forest, and then it turned out, yep, she’s a witch. Now I’ve got my own witch’s hut.

• plugmonkey says:

That’s nothing new. Bethesda have a slightly odd approach to morality. In Fallout 3, I murdered Allistair Tenpenny solely in order to steal his suit. Yup. He had this cool smoking jacket thing going on, so I snuck out onto the balcony, shot a helpless old man in the back of the head, stole his clothes and threw his naked body over the side.

I got “goody” points for doing that. It turns out Tenpenny was a Republican.

49. jealouspirate says:

So a lot of people use companions, eh? Personally I can’t stand having some NPC always fumbling around beside me, especially since I sneak a lot, so I bought a house in Whiterun to store her and my loot.

Haven’t tried any of the other companions.

50. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Lydia doesn’t seem to exist in my world :(.

I’m level 10, already have a companion and have just completed the second quest in the main plotline. The Jarl has mentioned Lydia but she’s nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

• Doth Messar says:

If you have a house she goes there, if not she hangs around in Dragonreach hall, go there when everyone is eating dinner and you’ll usually find her sitting at the end of the table, stuffing her face.