Time Enough: Now There’s An Achron Demo

By Jim Rossignol on November 15th, 2011 at 11:45 am.

Back to the computer.
Brain-provoking time-travel RTS Achron, which Richard had a good old chat about here, has been out for a couple of months, but it’s been lacking a demo for cautious, interested parties to have a play with before taking any kind of plunge. That all changes today with a demo that gives you a taste of the linearity-shattering multiplayer. Developers Hazardous say: “The recommended way to download the Achron Demo is via torrent,” but “The demo is also available via direct download.” Hooray!

I’ve also posted a video of some of the multiplayer action below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliocentric says:

Wait, the developer is having chronological issues?

2. Big Murray says:

Have they fixed the fact that it hurts my eyes yet?

3. Xasf says:

It hurts my brain way more than my eyes, but it’s a good pain :)

4. sogeking99 says:

Time enough at last! Like the reference!

5. The Sombrero Kid says:

If this would’ve been available at launch it’d've saved me the money since the game is downright terrible.

• pakoito says:

I don’t think it’s that bad. It has pathing issues but other than that it’s fairly playable. And complex.

• Droopy The Dog says:

It’s not that great either in a lot of ways, not just pathing but basic unit automation are pretty incompetent, units will often stand around when attacked without closing the gap to return fire. Which in a game where every command costs resources requiring such tedious micro is an even bigger problem than your standard RTS.

Then there’s the heirarchy system to help preserve chrono energy which rather than grouping a bunch of units together as one for commands, instead tells a bunch of units to follow one specific unit, with the whole thing falling appart if that one unit dies or gets stuck on a corner (painfully often).

The units are without exception uninspiring, basically just bundles of HP and DPS with only arbitrary damage bonuses vs. other units to differentiate between them.

So in every other aspect except the time travel business it’s a pretty lacklustre RTS.

And while it’s perfectly understandable why, the actual time travel is rather unwieldy. There’s no unit individual unit time lines so you can’t tell when commands happen or a unit dies without skipping along the timeline yourself to check and other little niggles like the default command not overriding “future” commands so you have to press 3 buttons for 95% of the orders to cancel counter productive future moves. So I can’t even laud them on the time travel too much given how it’s got plenty of room for improvement.

All that said, just the chance to mess around with paradoxes and fighting in multiple divergent timelines is rather fun the first couple of times you get it right.

6. Hoaxfish says:

I tried following that video, but since the commentator seemed a bit confused, and the game is apparently quite hard to follow with that time-travel thing, I just ended up being very confused about what was going on.

• Shadowfury333 says:

I wish I hadn’t made that video my YouTube page default video, but that one was done after having to throw something together because my regular cast of the regular Achron tournament couldn’t happen. Anyway, if you check out the channel there are better videos and tutorials on the game, which should make it less confusing.

Also, to anyone who complains about commands in the past not auto-overriding commands in the future, if they did, you’d have to constantly redo your units’ commands every time you changed something in the past, which would be a lot more unwieldy and frustrating. This isn’t Braid’s time travel.

7. YanDaik says:

i have only one question: wtf is going on there?!

Comment on this story