COD ELITE To Reach PC After All, Apparently

By John Walker on November 16th, 2011 at 8:24 am.

That's going to be drafty.

Good news – after yesterday’s surprise that Call Of Duty ELITE developers, Beachhead, had implied there was a good chance we’d not see a PC version of the multiplayer tools, the team have taken back to the Twitters (cheers, Chris) to put right what once went wrong. Last night they explained that they “misspoke”.

“We misspoke. [See? - Ed] Our goal has always been to provide a free PC offering for ELITE. Stay tuned for an update as timing is still being determined.”

It’s still perhaps not all that impressive, since it was supposed to accompany a game released eight days ago, and there’s still not even a vague deadline for when they think they’ll have it sorted. But at least those who bought MW3 on the understanding that it would work with ELITE, will have something to look forward to. So come on, ignore the braying of those who haven’t even tried it, are you enjoying MW3′s multiplayer on PC?

, , .

1. sink257 says:

It’s fun, yes.

2. Manac0r says:

“Al, what does Ziggy say I have to do?”
    “Ziggy says there’s a 92% percent chance you’re here to give Pc gamers call of duty elite.”
    “Damn it Al, Ziggy isn’t always right, my gut tells me…”

<3 Quantum Leap

• Rich says:

I want an adventure game of Quantum Leap. Get on it Telltale, Dean Stockwell doesn’t have long left!

• Shadram says:

It’s fine, he’ll just wake up on the nearest Base Ship when he downloads into his new body.

• MadTinkerer says:

And if Telltale makes a crossover episode with Back To The Future, it’ll be better than Smash Brothers and all the Marvel vs. Capcom games put together.

Hodge says:

Actually, Quantum Leap’s likeable-yet-B-grade stylings would be perfectly suited to one of Telltale’s likeable-yet-B-grade games.

3. Njordsk says:

Got the game for very cheap, otherwise I’d be in tears.

Solo was “ok”. First half was quite bad, second was quite good. But the Multiplayer…. I find it to be trash. Maps are ridiculous, dedicated servers are not ranked, lots of disconnection and so on.

COD4 has some tight maps, but there was some a little more “open”. Those are just a 200m/200m square and you go all guns out. It doesn’t work anymore for me, last time it did was with WM1 mind you.

bear912 says:

I loved Washing Machine 1. Maps made me dizzy, though.

• sneetch says:

I dunno, I thought Washing Machine 1 was just the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over…

• RedWurm says:

I don’t mind the multiplayer – and I liked mw2 – but yup, the maps feel like a big step backwards. A lot more convoluted and confusing, some awful spawning mechanics. I always loved having a big sniper battle going on while the rest of the team try to flank them and cause all sorts of chaos. Now you just find a point to snipe from, and since you have no hope of defending the half-dozen approaches, you’ll be fine for a minute at best until the spawnpoints screw you over. God knows where the rest of your team will spawn.

And yes, what the everliving tits is the point of the half-arsed dedicated server mode?

4. BooleanBob says:

Misspeaking: nature’s retcon?

5. Freemon says:

I got it for free from a friend. Someone gifted him the game and he already had it, so.

Anyway, Solo is decent. It’s like a Michael Bay summer blockbuster. I was expecting to be surprised by the multiplayer. I was, but in a negative way. It’s just respawn and spray, there’s nothing else to it. You spawn, run and either get gunned down almost instantly or you kill someone and then get gunned down almost instantly. Map design is terrible in some cases and doesn’t many much sense. The graphics are the same old thing with the exception of a little tweaks. The sound is half decent. The new perks and packages bring very little to the table. It was all just good marketing.

It’s like playing CoD4 but at x2 speed and always on Shipment or Killhouse…with 16 guys. I prefer the thinking man’s shooter, BF3. For me there’s no fun in getting to the top score based on twitching and knowledge of where the spawnpoints.

Actually…I haven’t played anything other than Skyrim since last Friday. Mother of god…

bear912 says:

“I prefer the thinking man’s shooter, BF3 William Shatner’s TekWar.”

Fixed.

• Dawngreeter says:

You listen to this man, he is obviously right in everything about everything. Such is the power of casually mentioning TekWar.

• Maxheadroom says:

Really? I’ve not played either of this season’s man shooters but I was lead to believe that BF3 was the slower paced, more tactical of the two?

Kudos for mentioning TekWar though

• Groove says:

That’s exactly how much I’d pay for MW3.

• tinners says:

What’s so bad about twitch shooters?

When I used to go on Modern Warfare for a quick 10 minute game, I could quite easily rack up a few kills and have fun. Unfortunately that’s just not possible with Battlefield, it needs more time/concentration.

In summary, depth = boring, fun = fun

• stretchpuppy says:

The only mode in BF3 which is “slower paced” at all would be Conquest, where you capture and hold objectives. The other 3 modes, TDM, Squad DM, and Rush are very fast paced. I’d imagine all modes will be slower paced during competitive play/clan matches on private servers when that feature is implemented…

6. Hoaxfish says:

We mispoke,

we didn’t mean to characterise PCs, a percentage of our buyers, as a wretched hive of scum and villainy,
    we didn’t mean to hype something, then downplay it was not going to happen because “it’s too hard”,
    now don’t look at the rapidly retreating statement behind the curtain.

7. Valvarexart says:

Was I the only one who found the name Beachhead overly amusing? I couldn’t give a damn about the contents of whatever garbage this man spouted out of his mouth (which is placed on his head which is a beach), but his name, now that is something to be proud of!

The Sombrero Kid says:

THANK THE LORD!

9. sneetch says:

“It’s still perhaps not all that impressive, since it was supposed to accompany a game released eight days ago, and there’s still not even a vague deadline for when they think they’ll have it sorted.”

Yeah, it’s not a very strong statement and I’m strongly reminded of the Kinect launch. Microsoft said that voice recognition would be added for the European nations in Spring 2011, it still hasn’t shown up (I don’t know if they added support for any new countries in the last year or so). Now, a cynical man might tell you that they only said that to sell as many Kinect units as possible and that they had no ability to actually provide support for voice recognition for those countries in that time frame but hey, they want you to buy the thing anyway!

My point here is that it’s not unheard of for companies to put this kind of mis(?)information out there and I’m not holding my breath waiting for it to show up. I wouldn’t be surprised if in about 2 months they tell us it won’t be showing up on PC for MW3 at all because we’re all insecure.

10. sneetch says:

Oh and, I’ve played some MW3 MP after about a 3 year haitus since playing the original MW and I got whooped by some ridiculously high-level players (who must have been playing almost constantly since launch) that seemed to automatically know where I was and what I was doing.

I seem to recall things being more even in COD MW but that may be advancing age as much as anything, the co-op is much more my cup of tea anyway.

11. StuffedCabbage says:

I swear at first glance I thought the dude in the picture was a Roman soldier.

Carra says:

I’ll probably pick it up at half price.

For now, still got me some Skyrim to play.

13. pilouuuu says:

Noooooo! Now I’ll have less time to play Skyrim! Why?

14. Shooop says:

I’m not up to date on this whole ELITE thing. What exactly does it do, just stat tracking? Don’t all modern games have that built into them already?

Not planning on playing the game until they have some fix for the atrocious FOV. And the comments here about even worse spawn points than the last game is a very bad sign. Here’s hoping the alterIWnet boys have something planned I guess.

15. akeso says:

Their time would be better spent making a paid stat tracking service for skyrim.

16. chopsnsauce says:

MP is good thanks for asking!

Most polished balanced COD MP I’ve played (though admittedly I’ve only played MW2 and BLOPS previously)

Love the fact that you can set up your killstreaks on a class by class basis and call them in in the order you want.

17. pilouuuu says:

Oh, just keep this on consoles and let me play my Skyrim with mods on the PC.