Thor Feelings: SMITE Screenshots

By John Walker on November 16th, 2011 at 1:17 pm.

Any excuse to shout I SMITE THEE is welcomed.

There’s a new screenshot of SMITE. What’s SMITE, you ask? You’re so forgetful. It’s Hi-Rez’s Thor-themed DOTA-inspired hyphen-inciting free-to-play multiplayer that we mentioned back in April. Why are we posting when there’s only one bloody screenshot in the last three months, when you’d think a developer proud of its game would release hundreds to make sure we can all see how great they think it is? Because this one pic is rather pretty, and I like pretty things. Oh, and I’ve put in the other seven pics they’ve released so far this year below.

Clix the pix for enlarging trix.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

Which Thor?

Because I’m seeing some Egyptian, Greek, and Hindu mythology in there.

• lasikbear says:

Speaking of which, isn’t it a bit weird to thrown in Hind imagery with Greek, Egyptian and Norse inspired imagery? Seeing as its still very much around, it seems kind of dismissive to just toss it in with the all the don’t-really-exist-anymores. I guess there are tons of games with angels and devils.

2. BurningPet says:

Their website has got to have at least 80% bounce rate.

It’s a shame because the game do look interesting.

3. Blackcompany says:

“Thor Feelings.”
    See what you did there.
    Titles like this leave me with a Tyr in my eye….

4. TotalBiscuit says:

Played this behind closed doors at Gamescom, it’s great. Lots more aiming involved, everything is a skill shot since it’s a 3rd person game, there is no autolockon for anything including autoattacks. The ancient mythology theme works very well, the fact that you can be flanked because someone is outside of your field of view is good too, makes surprise attacks much more effective. Needs some interface work, looking forward to the beta.

• Dragon Master says:

Please clarify “the fact that you can be flanked because someone is outside of your field of view is good too”. I’m pretty sure that there is such mechanic in, pretty much, every other MOBA game out there.

• TailSwallower says:

I think he’s saying that because it’s over-the-shoulder third-person, people can sneak up behind you.
      In any of the DotA clones enemies are visible anywhere on the map as long as you have one unit with line of sight.

Sure, you can come running out of the jungle behind someone, but they’ll still see you as soon as you clear the Fog of War, so I imagine it will work very differently.

• tyrionlayton says:

@Dragon Master: It depends what you mean by ‘field of view’. The difference is in most MOBA games you can move the camera to see any area of the map that’s warded or has a friendly unit nearby. If you can only ever see what’s immediately near you, team communication about enemy positioning becomes even more important than usual.

• Dragon Master says:

Thanks for clarifying! That actually sounds pretty neat, but it will be an ABSOLUTE nightmare to play and communicate in random games, considering it already is with a more simple line-of-sight techniques.

5. Kollega says:

I want to know only one thing: why is everyone cloning DotA lately? Is this genre niche really that underoccupied and profitable?

6. Shandrakor says: