Still In The Dark: Torchlight II Delayed Again

By Jim Rossignol on November 17th, 2011 at 7:56 pm.

Joystiq‘s crystal ball lit up earlier today with notification of a blog post by Runic bosslord Travis Baldree in which the man from Runic states that “a game of this scope up to the quality and polish level we want to achieve is going to take a little longer,” and also: “We’ve probably had 18 months of full development time on it so far – not excessively long yet, as far as that goes. The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small.” Basically, it’s not going to hit in 2011 as expected.

“Besides, you’re all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren’t you?” observes the astute Mr Baldree. Why yes, I am. I just saw a giant totally bat a wolf up the side of a mountain! Awesome.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Njordsk says:

nooooooooooooeeees !

I needed a HnS fix

• Syra says:

This is their way of saying they need time out to play skyrim too!

SLACK

• Syra says:

Oh but now they are in trouble, they really needed to get this out before diablo3 hits or they will be up against the worst possible competition.

Sorry for the double

2. Icarus says:

The only reason I’m not very sad (as opposed to ‘mildly sad’, which I am) about this is because November has already been awesome for games. I’m up to my eyes in Skyrim, Saint’s Row 3 unlocks tonight, Arkham City should be out next week and I’ve still got Assassin’s Creed Brofist to finish off.

• Koojav says:

I bought new PC for games coming out this Fall/Winter but then I remembered that I haven’t finished GTA IV.
      When I thought it’s going good and soon I’ll be able to get into any new title Magicka free weekend started and it’s a great possibility to go thru the campaign with new people.
      In two weeks Terraria 1.1 comes out so again I’ll spend some more hours playing title I already own.

After that I’ll probably try to convince myself that it’s okay to buy a shooter bundled with a spyware because it’s got great graphics. Torchlight II was my last chance of getting distracted enough not to care about BF3 and now all hope is gone :(

3. kael13 says:

Sadface. I may end up missing this with D3’s release around the corner.

Nero says:

Dangit! I’m never playing Skyrim so release it just for me! :)

5. Blackcompany says:

Smart play. Were I him, even if I had the game ready, I would not release it at this juncture. Simply too much going on this month. Hell, he even said it himself: ‘You’re all playing Skyrim…” Good point, that.
    I loved Torchlight as well, but I wouldn’t buy this game if it were released tomorrow. Skyrim being what it is, and with Steam’s Christmas sales less than 1 month away, a free Magicka Weekend, et al, I don’t know I’d even buy it this month.
    Not because I didn’t enjoy torchlight. But because I simply have more games to play, than I have time to play them, as it is right now.

• radioactivez0r says:

That hadn’t even occurred to me. Batman and SS3 next week for me on top of what I got for console this week…and I’m even playing through the first Torchlight when I feel up to it. January might be a nice time to drop this bad boy.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, I thought TL2 would be out much earlier. At this point, early 2012 is a more attractive release date for just about everyone. So long as they beat D3 by a few weeks at least.

6. Jeremy says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t buy it even if it was released at this point, I don’t have enough time to play another game in the cycle. I’ve been playing BF3 and Skyrim most nights, and I’m sure Anno will find some time to sneak in there as well.

7. noxxit says:

I smell procrastination! Tsk, programmers. Reminds me – I have some documentation to finish.

8. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

That’s a bummer.

He’s right though, I am deep into a dark souls playthrough right now. I died on the final boss approximately 17 times before I quit last night (but I’ve been devising a foolproof game plan all day at work). It’s an amazing game, just as demon’s souls was.

9. Robin_G says:

Booo! I’m terrible at getting hyped up for big game releases. I didn’t get Skyrim and I feel no inclination to, I think I’m dead inside. Strangely enough, this was on of the few games I have been looking forward to.

• SonofSeth says:

Yeah, about that. I never played a Scrolls game before, didn’t watch a single gameplay video for Skyrim, I watched maybe one trailer. Then I decided to try it out and 30 hours later I am consumed by it.

10. Srethron says:

Perhaps they are playing Skyrim a bit too much as well. I wouldn’t blame them if they were.

11. Lobotomist says:

Well this some sad news.

Actually just today I wanted to make a post about this (before hearing they delayed the game)

I think that Runic has “dropped the ball”

I mean, i am great fan of their work. I got T1 same minute it was available on their site. And have been waiting for T2 ever since…

But lets face it, even the most dedicated fan can not say T2 can stand toe to toe to Diablo 3.
    It becomes quite pointless game.

Torchlight 2 was supposed to be my fix until D3 is released. And I am sure this was the case for at least 80% of people that intended to buy it.

But now they are going to be released together.

Real unfortunate mistake.

I personally will still buy it for 20$ just to support Travis and crew.

But I can not even imagine i would be playing it, together with D3….

• Kenny007 says:

Count me as one of the 20%. I’m aiming to skip D3 entirely for this once it hits. I imagine I’m in the minority though.

• rottenspiel says:

And why couldn’t it stand toe to toe with D3? This is this perfect example of how hype and publicity change the perception of gamers about the games themselves.

“What, Torchlight 2/Grim Dawn/Path of Exile/Whatever stand against Diablo 3? You’re mad. Everyone knows that’s preposterous!”

Argumentum ad populum for the win!
      Objectivizing (subjective) experience for the win!
      The herd for the win!

Vroom vroom!

thekeats1999 says:

I’m another member of that 20%. Torchlight 2 and that one by the blokes who did Titan Quest. My internet connection goes down at least once every couple of hours, so that counts out D3.

• Lobotomist says:

I am glad you are devoted to Torchlight 2. As I said, i will also be getting it.

But as much I love work Travis and the team are doing, I am not deluding my self that in 18 months and with small team they can out do what Blizzard did in 8 years of development and probably over hundred million dollar budget.

Runic had chance to sell 100% of games, now they will sell only 20%

This is how much the delays will cost them.

They should have released in september as promised. Even if the game was unfinished.
      They would made killer sales

• Baka says:

The important thing to remember is that the game will most likely still be released before Diablo 3. Even if it’s just a few weeks, the hype for the Supermegablockbuster alone will lead a lot of people to getting their HnS fix with this. And who knows? Maybe the quality of the game will bind them.

• RandomGameR says:

I’d be more in that (statistically made up) 80%.

I was only planning on buying this to tide me over to Diablo 3. Having played Torchlight and part of the Diablo 3 beta and seen footage of Torchlight 2 I’m pretty sure that I know which of the two games is going to interest me. If they come out even within a month of one another I’m doubtful that I’ll buy Torchlight 2.

Oh well, maybe I’ll buy it just to support them, but that seems a little lame.

• Vinraith says:

Another 20% person, D3 is not appealing in the slightest but I’m looking forward to T2. I worry that they’re shooting themselves in the foot financially, though, because Blizzard’s marketing machine is a monster.

• MrMud says:

Torchlight was kind of shit and while this looks like it will be better, I cant see myself playing it if D3 is out at the same time.

12. Andrigaar says:

Not having much interest in most of the major titles, I was looking forward to this.

That seems weird to say though.

13. rocketman71 says:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK!!!

14. nimzy says:

I think you just saw the invention of cricket in Skyrim, Jim. Or maybe golf…

15. Wulf says:

Y’know, except for one instance (that was probably just my stupidity), I’ve never actually seen a giant attack anything unless you specifically lead them to the giant. :P So I’m guessing Jim did a very silly thing and run right into the middle of a bunch of giants whilst fleeing from a wolf. Which is funny.

Though I have to admit, I did it once, too. But I can usually outrun wolves without goofing so hard. In my case it was a particularly large group of bandits, two of whom were flinging fire spells at me. I dislike fire spells, and I was trying to get some space so that I could dodge their fire attacks whilst not killing them, since I couldn’t be arsed, but unfortunately I backed into a giant camp. I ran from the giants but apparently they seemed to think that giants would make good targets.

Not very bright bandits, to say the least. Then again, no one in these games seems particularly bright, attacking the werewolf-dragonborn-harbinger-of-the-companions-guy-who-can-punch-out-giants. Really not very bright at all. Giants seem smarter because, like I said elsewhere, they all tend to leave me alone so long as I leave them alone, and I’m completely fine with that.

Yep. Skyrim. The game where I respect giants more than I respect people, because giants are less prone to stupid.

As for Torchlight, that is a shame, as I was very much looking forward to it and I’d play it anyway, regardless of Skyrim. I don’t mind waiting though, I mean, so long as the time is spent polishing up the game and making it all the more better, then no loss.

(I know so much about the behavioural routines of Skyrim’s AI already that it’s ridiculous. But it’s not really all that hard to figure out, they generally follow some pretty stringent patterns. So once you know those, you pretty much know how everything in the game is going to react, and to what.)

• Gnoupi says:

I might set up an alert just to have Wulf’s comments delivered directly to my mailbox, print them and make a book by the end of the year, one page by article.

16. gryffinp says:

God damn it BlImean Runic games.

17. BirdsUseStars says:

I’ve got a big pile of of games I got for like a dollar on steam sales representing hundreds of hours of untouched gameplay.

What I’m saying is, I’m covered. Let me know when I can have it and I’ll buy it.

18. AMonkey says:

Hopefully they don’t release it close to Diablo 3 otherwise they will be destroyed sales wise. I want this game to do well.

19. televizor says:

They want it to go head to head against Diablo 3.
    The balls on these blokes!

20. Velvetmeds says:

There’s no point in playing Torchlight 2 when D3 is out. That’s like eating a sandwhich with nothing in it vs a sandwhich with everything good in it.

• Gnoupi says:

Funny, I feel the same way, but with the opposite sandwich labels.

21. Velvetmeds says:

Prefering something “indie” doesn’t make you “cool”.

• kitsuneknight says:

Preferring a squeal to an older game doesn’t make you “cool” either.

22. casedeck says:

Here’s a theory. I believe the plan actually is to go head to head with D3, in the full, simultaneous-release meaning.

As another reader already mentioned, it demonstrates remarkable bravery… But, could it also be a genious case of using a competitor’s (huge and un-beatable) marketing engine to your advantage? A sort of “if you can’t fight it, hijack it” approach? I mean, the population of players heavily disgruntled with many of D3’s design choices is potentially quite large. If Runic can put out a game, on the same day, with all of new Diablo’s controversial choices exactly reversed, and with at least perceivably similar level of polish (AKA “a very good to great game”), how many of potential D3’s buyers will choose to vote with their wallets and go via T2’s rute?

What Runic gets:
    – Torchlight’s fans, most of whom (the paying customers at least) will buy T2 anyway
    – Diablo fans (old and D3-hype-infested new) who consider their expected game as betraying them in some way
    – the D3 launch’s marketing and Net coverage, obviously huge, droning once more about the design choices contoversy of Blizzard’s new game, only this time with the “it’s here, you can buy it if you accept” perspective and mentioning Torchlight 2 as an “here’s what you buy if you don’t accept” alternative

Also, considering how many of Runic employees are ex-Diablo creators, the burying-an-old-grudge aspect of the whole thing is something to speculate at. (Imagine the possibilty of Runic’s game beating Blizzard’s game on launch-day sales. Or just matching them, or even getting close to them.) Just saying…

So, anyways: yeah, I believe they’re gonna do it. What’s more, I believe they have a shot with it, and wouldn’t be surprised if the thing works in their favour.

23. mygaffer says:

Torchlight 2 is definitely a launch day purchase for me, regardless of when that day actually is.