Cry Me A Robot: Mechwarrior Uses CryEngine

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2011 at 8:18 am.

Robot rock.
Still no in-game images yet, but we’ve just learned that Mechwarrior Online will use CryEngine 3. “It is definitely the best choice for us,” said Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games. “Both the character animation pipeline with the procedurally and physics based animations and the destruction system fit our goals perfectly and allow us to develop a truly unique AAA experience based on the award-winning BattleTech Universe.” Perhaps not too much of a surprise choice, either, given that Crysis mod. I also rather like the description of the “four pillars” of the game: “Mech Warfare, the embodiment of Mech to Mech combat. Role Warfare, the ability for player’s to customize their experience to suit their own style of gameplay. Community Warfare, the ability to let the players take part in epic combat for territorial control. Information Warfare, an element on the battlefield that incorporates information technology to help control the fight.” If they can nail all of those then it could be a fine, fine mech game.

, , .

1. Quaib says:

Frankly the most exciting VIDYA GUM news I’ve read in a while… mainly because I’m imaging what could be… which might not be such a great idea as high expectations are always shattered.
    Back to the insanely enjoyable Crysis Wars Mechwarrior mod.

• 12kill4 says:

^ I agree. When MW4 got re-released free last year I got back into MW in a big bad way. Now if only I could convince my friends to play too :(

2. Belua says:

Wait, what? Online? I thought we were getting a new, regular Mechwarrior? I feel disappointed now :(

• Quaib says:

If you’ve played MW: Living Legends you’ll know that there’s a prospect for a great game.

3. coldvvvave says:

Damn it all, I wanted a single player Mechwarrior( and Mechcommander).

Hanban says:

I try to look at it in terms of, if they have a hit, maybe these games will come. Admittedly I was also disappointed to see they had scrapped the singleplayer, but here’s hoping they at least make it a good multiplayer experience!

• cliffski says:

Gratuitous Tank Battles has mechs, and the artist is an artist who worked on mechcommander, if that helps :D

• Gnoupi says:

If you don’t need 3 separate controllers to use it, it’s not a good mech.

Hanban says:

I am brimming with excitement over this. I remember being a young lad dreaming of being a Mechwarrior. Even managed to nab my old callsign!

Please Lords of Game Design, let them make it a good one!

5. clockler says:

I could have sworn we used technology to make games, not pillars.

Maybe using technology to make games that feature potential future technology was too meta, so they started using good old bricks and mortar?

6. Squishpoke says:

“Mech Warfare, the embodiment of Mech to Mech combat.”

Of course.

“Role Warfare, the ability for player’s to customize their experience to suit their own style of gameplay.”

Excellent.

“Community Warfare, the ability to let the players take part in epic combat for territorial control.”

Now this sounds interesting. Perhaps they will set up a mercenary system, which would be awesome.

“Information Warfare, an element on the battlefield that incorporates information technology to help control the fight.”

SPIES SAPPIN’ MAH SENTRY

• nogav says:

They intend to have a persistent universe with planets being taken over by various houses depending on how in-game battles go. That’s what they’re referring to here.

7. Inigo says:

a truly unique AAA experience based on the award-winning BattleTech Universe.

Of course, that’s paraphrased. What he actually said was
    CLICK-CLICK WHIRR A. TRULY. UNIQUE. BEEP-BOOP TRIPLE. A. EXPERIENCE. WHIRR SEARCHING BUZZWORD DATABASE BASED. ON. THE. AWARD. WINNING. BEEP CLICK WHIRR. BATTLE. TECH. UNIVERSE. CLICK CLICK CLICK BOOP ERROR ERROR ERROR SHUTTING DOWN BEEP WHIRRRRRRR.

And then he slumped into his chair and jerkily waved his arms about as smoke belched from the back of his head.

8. Snorez says:

“F2P” has a tendency to mean “P2W”

I am an old school Mech junkie, but I am VERY wary of what will happen to this great IP.

• rocketman71 says:

Same here.

To begin with, their capacity of throwing every single promise they made two years ago out the windows without looking back while shouting THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU gives me exactly zero confidence in this.

Biggest disappointment of the year.

• Seth says:

If you’ve played MWLL you know that it’s thoroughly possible to make a great (one of the best, in fact) Battletech game in an online-only framework.

World of Tanks handles F2P well. This can too.

9. Nallen says:

MWLL. SO. GOOD.

10. Heliocentric says:

My favourite thing about Mechwarrior was non mech units undermining mechs supposed superiority, Spotters and artillery? Tanks taking out mechs ankles in dense fortest? T
    Or maybe just a gauss cannon anti tank platform sniping the driver.

I expect to find non of this here

stahlwerk says:

In Triple-A land, everyone’s a Mechwarrior!

• Hoaxfish says:

When everyone’s a Mechwarrior, no-one will be.

• Seth says:

You can expect to find it in MWLL, where vehicles and aircraft play a pretty cool role on the battlefield. Plus it’s Cryengine, too!

Napalm Sushi says:

I dusted off my Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries box recently and saw that it was even longer than I remember (nine years? Christ) since we were last blessed with a proper Battletech game. I wasn’t looking for an MMO, but Piranha can consider my attention seized regardless, as Battletech is, in my opinion, a far richer and better constructed sci-fi setting than either 40k or Star Wars.

12. Halo says:

So if you’re a fan of MechCommander, and you’re hankering after a new game, there’s always the in-progress-but-quite-playable MechCommander Omnitech: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=210.0

13. iucounu says:

Shurely “Cry Me a Rivet”?

14. Kleppy says:

Was I the only one who thought this was a Mech game made by the folks who did Gothic?

• Saiko Kila says:

I thought for a moment. It was “Games? Wasn’t it Bytes? Had they to change their name” But then checked it and found it’s a different, console-mostly company.

15. vecordae says:

This one’s worth keeping an eye on at least. When MW4: Mercenaries was re-released as a free game over at mektek.net I got proper excited. Even bought a fancy new joystick as my old Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback stick doesn’t work properly on Windows 7. Can’t wait to give this one one a try.

16. HeavyHarris says:

The way I see it, if the game is a let down at least we’re not out of $50-$60. And if it’s a hit? Well, bully for us then, right?