Friendly Rear: Enemy Front

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2011 at 11:56 am.

City Interactive have sent word of a new “gritty” FPS called Enemy Front. They explain: “Enemy Front is the realistic tale of a hardened soldier dropped behind Nazi lines to engage in dynamic, diversified missions ranging from quick skirmishes, espionage assignments, and sabotage activities.” The game is being developed jointly by studios in UK and Poland, and is designed by Stuart Black, who worked on the popular console manshooter, Black. It’s using CryEngine 3, which apparently allows “fully destructible maps that reflect the damage from every bullet fired and every grenade tossed”. So that sounds handsome. I’ve posted three more screenshots of angry or dying soldiers below.

Enemy Front will shoot Nazimen in 2012.

, .

1. Teddy Leach says:

Black was a VERY good shooter.

2. AshEnke says:

But Bodycount, his latest game, wasn’t.
    And this new game being from City Interactive, I can’t say I’m looking forward to playing it….

bear912 says:

I recall hearing somewhere that the brains behind Black left Bodycount sometime during development…

Don’t know if it’s true or not.

• Moni says:

Stuart Black left about a year before Bodycount was released, he’s mostly kept quite mum about the thing, but it seems to have boiled down to Codemasters not giving the studio the level of support Black hoped for.

In hindsight, it does look quite bad on Codemaster’s part since they shut down the studio pretty snappish after the game was released.

Bear in mind, there’s not too many facts there, so all of the above is hearsay and bollocks.

3. Dozer says:

Friendly old bum.

4. westyfield says:

“Diversified.”

5. CalleX says:

I´d rather play as a german.

6. LazerBeast says:

World War 2, now with even more grimacing.

• Dreamhacker says:

Featuring a stunning collection of brand new weapons including:

-MP40
      -M1 Garand
      -Kar 98K
      -M1 Thompson
      -Luger
      -and more!

….Yeah, I’m am sick to death of the WW2 guns. Why can’t someone just, you know, make an alternate history WW2 shooter with new guns?

7. Tomhai says:

Realistic tale, right? I wonder why do the soldiers look as if they were from propaganda posters? WWII soldiers hardly looked anything like that. I dont want to bash the game based on four sceen shots, but… oh wait I’m already bashing the game… well then, whotchagonna do… if four screenshots say the games sucks, it sucks;)

• tigershuffle says:

….my first thoughts too “realistic” lol

try “fantastical” or even “Chucknorrisical”
      looks a bit too stylised for my liking….but shooting is FUN

• Ross Angus says:

I see what you mean. The art style is nice, but seems at odds with the suggested mood. Perhaps it’s like Beyond Good and Evil!

PoulWrist says:

You can have a realistic story with stylised visuals :)

• Shortwave says:

I thought the fact they look like they come off of posters is what made my jaw drop.
      They are so badass looking, hahaha..

• Beardface says:

The art style seems like an interesting idea. Otherwise, you have to go the ARMA route – which first doesn’t even look that good, second ends up requiring a very beefy PC. Saying that a game cannot be realistic if it doesn’t *look* realistic is simply daft.

8. Flukie says:

Yeah Criterion made Black really, not one guy.

Those screens look good but yeah Bodycount isn’t a good impression.

• Magnetude says:

Yep, it was the tech that made that game, not one guy who loves guns. You could really tell it came from the Burnout people.

9. bob. says:

Interesting weapon choices there. I see the soldier in the second picture, the one in the background, carries an MP40. The one in the foreground also carries an MP40. And on the first picture, it seems one is firing an MP40 while the other one is holding an MP40. Oh, and you can also see two MP40′s in the third picture.

• Zoomon says:

At least they’re not using MKB42s in Stalingrad! OHMIGODTHEHISTORICALLYINACCURATEHORROR.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

My AVT will destroy you all!

• Waricck says:

Needs more variety of weapons if it’s anything like these pics.

10. Khalan says:

“dynamic, diversified missions”
    a) randomly generated missions based on your actions
    or
    b) market-speak for multiple objectives within a total of 10 or so levels.

Would be nice if it actually was the former.

11. sneetch says:

The rather dour looking German chappies in these screenshots somehow remind me of Wolfenstein, in a good way. It’s actually been several years since I’ve played a WW2 shooter so I’ll be looking at this with interest (odd how quickly generic Modern Battlefield Warfare has become the new WW2 for me).

Edit: Although “the realistic tale of a hardened soldier dropped behind Nazi lines” should mean you get wounded in the second engagement and slowly die of a combination of exposure and your infected wounds on a mountainside.

12. coldvvvave says:

It’s a Polish game, so you could also expect Evil Soviets.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Well, you cant say the Soviet side wasn’t somewhat evil overally… the fact they turned coats AFTER they were betrayed dont really change the facts of the atrocities they have commited during the war (or afterwards).

• MistyMike says:

Evil Sovs being a staple of Polish-made games, as evidenced by the likes of Painkiller, The Witcher and Call of Juarez.

• coldvvvave says:

Painkiller’s sequel had Evil Soviets, actually. You could also look up Sniper Elite and War Front Turning Point.

@Frankie The Patrician[PF]

‘Evil’ is a wrong word. Everyone commited atrocities, some just got away with it.

• Eightball says:

Pretty weird for a country invaded by another country to have a dim view of the invading country.

How one could say the Soviet invasion of Poland isn’t evil boggles my mind.

• MistyMike says:

@coldwave
      Sniper Elite and War Front turning Point were made in the UK and Hungary, respectively.

13. BrendanJB says:

Enemy Front is the realistic tale of a hardened soldier dropped behind Nazi lines to engagragrahblflraghblarhgblarhgghgharbghlgawargharab lraghblarghwargharblwarghablwarghablwarhgbhbalharglhglalbalragha
    wahrgharblwargharblblarhgblarhgghgharbghlgawargharablraghblargh
    wargharblwarghablwarghablwarhgbhbalharglhglalbalraghawahrgharbl
    wargharbl.

• Archonsod says:

Yep, that was around the point I lost interest too.

• Felixader says:

You made me laugh pretty hard, mostly cause you read my mind.

Stop reading my mind. X-P

14. CaspianRoach says:

Are these screenshots or are they artworks? They look slightly cartoonish because of the shading.

15. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Right, so is this some alternate history, where all German divisions consisted of SS troops?

Colthor says:

“Enemy Front: Indecent Exposure in a Time of War”

17. skyturnedred says:

No!! It was supposed to go WW2, then modern wars, and next move on to sci-fi war games!

• Inglourious Badger says:

No, no, it’s WW2, then modern shooters and then the universe begins to collapse in on itself reversing time, space and ending in weird wibbly paint like the end of 2001: a Space Odyssey.

I guess

• Dozer says:

2001: A Space Odyssey ends with him playing Guitar Hero, doesn’t it?

Chaz says:

It doesn’t look very realistic, but I don’t mind playing it Clint Eastwood style, as in the likes of Where Eagles Dare and Kelly’s Heroes, gunning Nazis down by the dozen.

19. Shooop says:

“Enemy Front is the realistic tale of a hardened soldier dropped behind Nazi lines to engage in dynamic, diversified missions-.”

My brain forced me to black out right there. Self-defense mechanism.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Enemy Front, Friendly Back?

• Squirrelfanatic says:

You might want to have a second look at the article’s title.

21. Shortwave says:

I’m excited to see how this plays out. I’m an optimist.

22. Zarunil says:

Trying too hard. 2 / 10.

23. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

WW2? Bit of a novel an unusual setting for a first person shooting type game.

It will never take off.

24. Blob says:

Never received in 2012 but maybe it’s better. We get the game refined in every detail :D I hope ;) I’m very excited. the game has to show for sure in the summer 2014, it’s gonna be awesome event :D

25. Cortes says:

I hear about this game from my friend. Tells me that Polish producer release in this year great WWII shoters. Then I read something about Enemy Front and I agree with my friends. Do you hear we will be alone on the battelfield? This can be challenge for us.

26. Blob says:

I heard about this it will be fun :D Especially that the world will give us a little more open than in other games of this type. This gives us new opportunities. And this, I really like :D

• Cortes says:

I have enough game where we must fallow for someone. Here we can go our own path and dosen’t metter whitch way we go to mission objective. It’s a great idea from developers:)

27. Blob says:

I agree with you, this solution opens up new opportunities for the player but also for developers. Maybe we see some new gameplay…

28. Cortes says:

I think that developers keep us in ignorance as preparing something special. It is possible that there will be some new gameplay or any additional information about the gameplay or missions.