The RPS Bargain Bucket: Of Elemental Evil

By Lewie Procter on November 19th, 2011 at 9:06 am.

I hope you’re all after some cheap games for your computer boxes, because that’s exactly what I’ve got. Here’s your weekly record of the best value gaming offers from across the world of PC gaming, it can only be the RPS Bargain Bucket. There’s tonnes of variety in this week’s selection, I reckon must be something for everyone here, but if you don’t spy anything that grabs your attention, you can always head over to SavyGamer.co.uk for a constantly updated digest of gaming deals across all platforms. Read on for this week’s selection.

Dead Space 2 – £3.74 (Probably UK only).
My experimentation with a range of proxies all yield the same result: It appears as though Dead Space 2 isn’t available on GamersGate for anywhere in Europe except for the UK, and although it is available on the USA version of the site, it doesn’t appears to be discounted there, so I suspect this is a UK only deal. EA are quite fond of region boundaries on special offers (with most, possibly all, Origin sales having been region specific so far), it makes my job a bit harder when publishers and retailers discriminate between their customers based on geography, but there’s not much I can do about it. This has barely dipped bellow the £10 mark since release, and here is is for under a fiver. It’s a rather good game, if you like your horror games to be full of action, and your action games to be full of scares. You get two flavours of RPS opinions, aren’t you a lucky thing?

Frozen Synapse x2 – £5.98/€7.36/$7.98
That’s two copies of Mode 7′s turn-based brain-strategy man-shooter, a pack ideal for splitting with a friend. This is definitely the cheapest I’ve seen it available for yet, although if you prefer to get it direct from the developers, and you want a code to activate on Steam, it’s also reduced (slightly less so) as part of the Show Me The Games sale. Lots of RPS coverage of this to sink your teeth into here.

Really Big Sky – £2.50/€2.80/$4
Beautiful trippy shmup thing. I didn’t actually totally understand what was going on when I played this at the Indie Games Arcade at Eurogamer Expo this year, but I did enjoy my time with it. There’s a trailer here, but I’ve already told you that it’s a beautiful trippy shmup thing, and that it is only £2.50. I don’t think you need any more information to base you purchasing decision on.

Aquaria, BIT.TRIP BEAT, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Braid, Gish, Half-Life 2, Machinarium, Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, World of Goo – £17.89
Happy Birthday Meat Boy. Obviously, it’s not his actual birthday: He’s just a fictional character from a video game, but it is roughly one year since Super Meat Boy released on the PC, and so he’s got together with all of his friends for a big sale. Here you get Super Meat Boy plus all the games that have characters that feature in it that are available through Steam (So no Minecraft or Alien Hominid). Every game there is fabulous, and I’d probably be a lot more excited about this pack if I didn’t think many of you lot that might be interested in this lot probably already own many of these games already. Still, all except Half-Life 2 have been reduced by 50% individually too, so that’s good if you don’t need the full set.

Deal of the week
Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment & The Temple of Elemental Evil – £14.95/€19.95/$19.95
It may be the season for all the massive indie bundles to come out and play, but it’s not just hot new indie games that can get packaged together at a discount. Here’s six classic PC RPGs from the likes of Black Isle Studios/Bioware/Interplay, and they all include all the relevant expansions and such. I wonder if pointing out that I was a mere 11 years old when the first of these came out will make the rest of RPS feel old. UH OH, now I feel old. It’s cracking value for sure, I remember times when people would pay more than the total here just for an original copy of Planescape: Torment, which until it got reprinted and then rereleased digitally, was actually fairly hard to get hold of. Speaking of Planescape, here’s some bloke called Kieron’s retrospective of it.

Also of note:
Magicka – £1.99/€2.49/$2.49
Cogs – £1.59/€1.99/$1.99
Bastion – £5.75/€7/$7.50
Celestial Mechanica – £2/€2.25/$2.50
Defy Gravity Extended – 93p/€1/$1.50
Serious Sam 3: BFE – £20.49/$29.99. Registers on Steam.
Zeno Clash – £3.98/€4.78/$5.98. Registers on Steam.
Avadon: The Black Fortress – £1.75/$2.50
1C Promo at GOG
Show Me The Sales

SavyGamer.co.uk is where all the cheap videogames live.

__________________

« | »

1. Kynrael says:

Haven’t tried buying it, but in France I see Dead Space 2 at £3.74.

• Thermal Ions says:

Even I’m seeing it at £3.74 from Australia and can add it to the cart. That’s a little cheaper than the US$69.99 on Steam.

Almost tempted to press the Buy button.

• jtm33 says:

I just bought it from Australia with no trickery. Got charged in GBP. $6.05 AUD through Paypal.

• Malleus says:

I’m from Hungary, and it’s 3.74GBP here, too. I went as far the credit card screen, so I’m pretty sure it costs that much.

• Bungle says:

Good price. I’d buy it if I had ever bothered to finish the first game. I doubt I even got halfway through it before getting bored and switching to something else.

• wu wei says:

Fantastic, the first one really clicked with me story-wise so I’m keen to get some more. Cheers :)

• Luk 333 says:

I bought it from Romania at the same price with no hassle.

• sassy says:

Another Australian here, bought the game at that discount with no issue at all. Gamersgate is even nice enough to allow me to login to the uk version of the site with my usual account and added the game into my usual games list.

Anyway go buy Avadon! That game is awesome!

• ShrikeMalakim says:

Confirmed purchased from US for $6.06, and it added the game to my general GamersGate account.

2. Persus-9 says:

I’m in Sweden and I just successfully bought Dead Space 2 off Gamersgate.co.uk without using a proxy. Woohoo! It even localised the display currency to krona (before charging me in £). I was logged in with an account I made while I was in the UK though.

• Aloshi says:

Bought Dead Space 2 from the USA (with an account made in the USA) via PayPal with no problems. Just had to buy from the UK GamersGate website.

3. bear912 says:

That Super Meat Boy Anniversary Pack would be an awesome bundle if I didn’t literally own every single one of those games already…

I guess I don’t already own the Bit.Trip soundtracks, but that’s it…

• Sheng-ji says:

Haha, Same here!

• Carra says:

Same here :)

They really should start adding an option where you can gift some games from the package or even better, discount those games you don’t already have.

• Thermal Ions says:

Each of the games (excl HL2) are individually discounted by 50%

• mazzratazz says:

Yes, they’re individually discounted by 50% each and if you buy the pack you can gift the ones you already have. So, exactly what you asked for basically :D.

4. Drake Sigar says:

Got the boxed version of Temple but had a hell of a time booting it up on Vista. Have a new computer with Windows 7 now, maybe I’ll have more luck…

• StarkeRealm says:

There was a fan made patch out there somewhere that would get it working under Vista and 7. On its own, it’s prone to throwing a fit and dying on anything more modern than XP.

• RizziSmoov says:

I had it working on a vista machine before but I guess I was one of the lucky ones when it came to compatibility

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

Oi! Trials of the Luremaster was/is free DLC (remember that?) so it can’t be part of that deal of the week.

And I also already own all of those except Temple of Elemental Evil, and I’ve never heard of that before. So that’s a proper bargain for hundreds of hours of baller entertainment.

• Drake Sigar says:

It was made by Troika. Nuff said!

• LionsPhil says:

So it’s an unfinished, buggy mess?

• croaker says:

It WAS a buggy mess on release. Now, with the Co8 modpack, it’s a magnificent game.

• sassy says:

It wasn’t a broken, unfinished mess. This is Troika we are talking about … so it was an ambitious, brilliant, broken, unfinished mess.

It’s a good game but story lite, combat heavy. The actual implementation of the games systems are fantastic, their attention to detail is superb.

• Bureaucrat says:

The last thing I’d call ToEE is “ambitious.” They took a hoary old D&D module and threw it in a decent-but-buggy turn-based combat engine.

What they didn’t do was what any good DM does when running a hoary old D&D module– add some personality. In terms of character, narrative, writing style, etc., the player was essentially just reading the thumbnail descriptions in the module book. The whole project had no ambition beyond simulation of a 30-year-old tabletop game.

• TheOx129 says:

TOEE was ambitious in the sense that for many people – myself included – it offered what was (and still is) the best implementation of 3.5 rules, especially with regard to combat. I really wish TOEE had been released with some sort of construction set or was just easier to mod, because the combat (something I feel many RPGs fail at making anything besides a chore after a while) was already great, so more focus could have been on the story, characters, writing, etc. that TOEE itself lacked.

• Wizardry says:

*waits for Bureaucrat’s list of better cRPG combat systems*

• Bureaucrat says:

OK, fine. For those people who are deeply invested in the D&D3.5 ruleset and want to see it in action in a CRPG, the combat rules system is excellent (but buggy, without fan mods). I’m just not really one of those people– I’ve played a lot of CPRGs, but I don’t have any particular reverence for D&D rules.

For my part, ToEE’s combat engine qualifies “good for a CRPG.” Which, to me, means that it isn’t so awful that it really gets in the way of enjoying the other aspects of the game (like, say, Arcanum’s did). If good CRPG combat is the sole appeal of a game, well, I’d probably rather be reading a book than playing it. And that was the case with ToEE.

6. cocoleche says:

I think the white background is making me go snow-blind. Maybe that ad is a little bit too immersive.

7. JB says:

Avadon is showing as £6.95 for me.

8. LTK says:

No good deals for Skyrim yet? Bummer.

9. cHeal says:

Why did nobody tell me how excellent Magicka was?

• DrGonzo says:

Wouldn’t know. Still can’t get it to work.

• Gnoupi says:

Because we are busy playing it while the unlucky ones who can’t get it to run are the louder ones.

• felisc says:

I never had a single crash with Magicka. It’s a great game. Magic combinations are extremely pleasant and throughout your playing you will constantly discover new yummy ways of blowing everyone to bits.

• DrGonzo says:

Doesn’t work on any of my 3 pcs so I can’t believe im in that small a minority. It sure looks fun. But releasing such a huge amount if dlc before you’ve fixed the game seems a bit dodgy to me.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I had immense fun playing Magicka with a friend, but every so often while loading the next chapter the loading screen froze and we had to start all over again.

well at least the new patch lets you save some more. could give it a whirl again.

• johnpeat says:

Probably because

a – at launch the multiplayer was irretrievably knackered for almost everyone – as in “utterly untested and not working” knackered
      b – the single player is a bit shit

Once the multiplayer was (mostly) fixed, that part of the game became excellent – but the single player is still a bit shit, really

That’s why

10. Denarian says:

Registered on the gamersgate.co.uk site and got the UK prices. Not only that but it also has a much bigger selection of games than some other EU versions of the site.

11. Medo says:

Too bad the Super Meat Boy soundtrack is windows only.

• bear912 says:

Such a shame, that.

… wait, what?

• Medo says:

Exactly.
      Edit: Look at the Steam page.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

How do these Steam Soundtracks work? is there any kind of filetype that i can put on my phone or player to listen to everywhere, or does it just get streamed? Is Steam pushing into mediaplayer territory?

• bear912 says:

Well, let’s hope there’s a Mac port one of these days… ಠ_ಠ

On a more serious note, I believe that the Steam soundtracks are merely MP3 tracks delivered to a specific folder on your hard drive. I don’t think it’s any more complicated, sophisticated, or exciting than that.

• johnpeat says:

What Bear said is true – it’s just a download of (usually) mp3s

SMB’s soundtrack is on Bandcamp ofc too

• LTK says:

It took me a while to figure out that a soundtrack bought on steam is simply in the game’s steamapps folder, too. Nobody tells you that, but it makes more sense than Steam having a dedicated music player for purchased soundtracks.

12. pakoito says:

Beware the bucket of elemental evil, you cannot activate it on Gog, Steam or whatever. Not suitable for netbooks.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

but it’s DRM free, is there a gamersgate client or something?

are most of these games even playable on win7x64 in their non-GOG variants?

• Wizardry says:

Yes. They are.

13. Mario Figueiredo says:

I took the chance to finally try out Magicka, since it is free on Steam for the weekend. And I must say I need guidance.

What confuses me most about this game is the whole control and gameplay aspect of it, that seems extremely confusing and complex. To tackle enemies I have to tap several keys in the right sequence and then issue a spell by either clicking with the RMB, the MMB, the RMB+Shift, or the spacebar (wtf!). Then I have to repeat this whole process for the next attack.

And it’s not just the insane amount of button mashing for just one attack, it’s also the fact I predict I will have to memorize tons of QWERASDF combinations to become efective at the game as difficulty progresses.

I cannot understand how this game has been so well received by critics and gamers, when I can’t picture myself playing such a complex control system. So it must be that I’m missing something here. But what?

• Lukasz says:

Have you never played any fighting game? with combos and key combinations?

The versatility of magic in Magicka is the strong point of the game, one of the reason it is so well received. That you can make insane spells blasting everything and everyone (and yourself)… if you can pull the combos off. and if you cannot… well its game’s charm of fucking up big time.

take it slowly, master few spells at first, find what works for you. don’t try to master every move or even try to be effective, just try to stay alive.
      and definitely play online. alone the game loses 2/3 of its charm.

• iucounu says:

Also: it’s designed to be hard to control. Half the fun is in accidentally blowing yourself up while running around frantically trying to remember how to make a shield.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

That’s probably it. I have, but never on a keyboard. Instantly you reminded me of arcade fighting games.

Ok. I think I’m approaching the game from the wrong angle. I came expecting straightforward click-click action, but it’s much more than that. Question is will I resist or care enough to become any good at it. But at least I can see now what I was doing wrong.

Thanks.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

You can start off with just basic spells. One element plus left click will get you surprisingly far. I got several acts in before I started using more complicated spells. Stick to what you need and gradually increase the sophistication.

You don’t go “ding!” and level up. Instead, you just get better at casting the spells through practice. Enemies that gave me serious trouble early in the game don’t even slow me down later on, and it’s not because my level has gone up or they have become weaker! I am just a better wizard!

That’s why this game is great.

• Starky says:

All you need is arse.

A.R.S.E.

14. boldoran says:

Practice

15. The Mechanical Aggressor says:

Just Cause 2 is £3.60 at Gamersgate this weekend

16. Rei Onryou says:

I did that! Then 6 months later it got reprinted and rereleased digitally. Even so, I own history.

17. malkav11 says:

Apparently the Avadon deal has expired, but I’d just like to recommend that people not purchase it from Direct2Drive, with Gamersgate being also iffy. Why? Well, Direct2Drive at least saddles it with incredibly shitty DRM that is not present in the direct-from-Spiderweb version or the Steam version (the Steam version obviously uses Steam, the Spiderweb version just uses a serial), and which can actually render the game almost unplayably laggy and unresponsive despite its seriously minimal hardware requirements. It was my understanding that there were also similar issues with the Gamersgate version but I can’t say for sure as I have not purchased that version.

• Janek says:

The Gamersgate version does indeed seem to have Securom. Haven’t actually got around to trying to play it yet, considering everything else out recently, so can’t confirm whether it causes issues in-game.

• Veracity says:

Yes, the Gamersgate version uses Securom, in what seems to be authenticate online once and don’t whine about Process Explorer mode. I bought it from there earlier in the week without checking. For me, Securom crashes on launch with a VC++ error I’ve seen before but never been able to make go away, and the game hangs on launch. Fortunately, Spiderweb is aware of this and fixing it by handing out keys to the direct version with what seems to be their customary sub-24-hour support response time. That should guilt me into paying whatever premium is necessary to buy the Geneforges I don’t have direct, if I ever get around to them.

Second or third (and last) time I’ve done this with Gamersgate, too. Do they have some deal with Sony to foist this shite on people? I’d always assumed it was entirely a publisher decision, but they seem to have a few things up using it that are available without elsewhere.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, Spiderweb’s support on this issue has been great, but I personally recommend people just buy from sources that don’t cripple the game to begin with and save them the hassle.

18. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Just so you know that $20 for the D&D bundle is the retail price for the boxed copy here in the states so no actual discount on it, but it’s still better than picking them up individually. My hesitation is whether they did anything to make them run or just slap them on a DVD because I couldn’t even get BG2 to run on Win7 last I tried.

19. Tams80 says:

Bah, I really should have bought Magicka while I didn’t have a PC capable of playing it properly. Seeing the collection at £4.24 just makes me feel down.

20. Jason Moyer says:

I wonder on which planet that D&D Classics Anthology retails for $35 on. The list price for a hardcopy is $20. Also, for people who care, they also recently released/will be releasing a similar collection with all of the Neverwinter Nights 1/2 content for $30 via retail (not sure if it includes all of the NWN premium modules, but it has the final NWN2 expansion which isn’t part of the Steam collection).

• NegativeNancy says:

Mind providing a link to the collection that includes NWN?

21. Moraven says:

Anomlay: Warzone Earth is up on Steam as the Daily Deal. Worth the price. Basically a reserve Tower Defense. You escort a convoy through the maps by routing to certain paths, upgrading and building out your convoy and using your abilities at a timely matter (repair, smoke screen, etc). Very Fun.

22. amorpheous says:

I’ve gotten to the point where I own most of the games in the Bargain Bucket. Also of note, owned != played. Sad :-(