Flagging Behind: Battlefield Heroes

By Adam Smith on November 21st, 2011 at 2:51 pm.

Capture the cup, seize the saucer, take the tea

It’s not a real war unless there are flags involved. How else would we keep score, or fully understand who is in charge? Thankfully, Battlefield Heroes now has a capture the flag mode. Admittedly, I did have to check the date on this several times to make sure capture the flag wasn’t actually added in 1842, but it really was added just now. No doubt to compete with another cartoony free-to-play team-based FPS that may be thinking of adding just such a mode in the future. Or that may indeed have had such a mode since its original incarnation in 1996. To jolly things up, there’s a trailer to announce the news and it has a rather spiffy voiceover, reminiscent of a rigid lip.

Is anyone still playing, or have powerful purchasables chased you all away?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. grok23 says:

To be fair to them, this game mode has been in development for a very long time. I helped beta test a version of CTF for BFH well over a year ago (it may even have been two years ago, excuse my old and decrepit memory). Thankfully they acknowledged that it was not polished enough to put out on general release at the time and kept on working on it.

Your last line hits the nail on the head for me. Pay to win is no way to play.

• Maldomel says:

Same for me about the pay to play. A shame because I was actually becoming very good before they decided to add buffing items and to force people to pay to remain truly competitive.

• Warduke says:

I agree. In the beginning this was a game I really enjoyed and put a ton of time into.. I took a break for a few months and came back to find the “pay to win” model in place.. major bummer.. Really ruined a good game. Haven’t been back since..

2. iteyoidar says:

I can’t say exactly what it is, but something about the art style in this game really creeps me out. The way the characters look…grotesque computerized battle-homonculi molded by a perverse war god. I suspect they were actually going for inviting and cartoony but I dunno

3. empfeix says:

I think I speak for everyone when I say…. no.

4. Luringen says:

Liked the game before it went Pay 2 Win (P2W?).

• Turbinator says:

I hope you realise that the game was -never not- pay 2 win. But of course you know that, having played it, right?

• jamesgecko says:

@Turbinator: Sure it was. You could buy weapons with cash, but you could also acquire enough in-game currency to buy them without paying actual money. They were rather expensive, but there weren’t a ton of them, and buying for keeps was not out of reach of the average player.

I quit about the time they removed the option to buy weapons permanently with in-game currency.

5. Dana says:

TF2 has new game mode coming as well. Probably something less original though, like get Demoman dead drunk, or escort Scouts mom into Spys lair.

• Davee says:

A VIP remake could be great fun. :)

• bear912 says:

I heard somewhere that payload is intended to be a replacement for VIP, but with less ways for it to go horribly wrong.

Whether having less ways for things to go horribly wrong is a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

• BathroomCitizen says:

Never played TF1, but ‘The Hunted’ map in TFC was awesome.

The player being the VIP itself added quite the right amount of suspense to the match!

• Beelzebud says:

Hunted mode was a lot of fun in TFC, but unfortunately all it took was one troll to ruin it for everyone, and thanks to the glorious internets, there was never a shortage of people willing to ruin it for everyone else.

6. Toby says:

I enjoyed BFH during the closed beta quite a bit. Back when you were free to customize however you liked.

• bakka bakka bakka says:

A few friends and I had a great time playing the closed betas in our no shirt, sombrero, and backpack uniforms. Then the closed beta ended and we saw that you had to buy those things for a limited time(!) and we stopped playing altogether. I have gone back one or twice and found I was strangely dominate.

7. Maldomel says:

But wasn’t BH all about capturing flags? At least that’s how I remember it, but they changed it to pay to play (in correct conditions).

8. celozzip says:

maldomel, you’re thinking of the battlefield conquest gamemode, which involves capturing flags, but we’re on about capturing just one flag and running with it back to your base, like in team fortress.

i enjoy bfh, but it really does suck to be on the server wirth the guy who’s bought some amazing minigun though while i’m using a thompson. it’s a better designed game than bf3 anyway.

• Maldomel says:

I see, that’s why I remembered flags. And yeah, it does sucks. That’s why I stopped, every time I think of it I see the trailer where they said you couldn’t lose to someone who bought powerful weapons since there were no such guns to begin with, and everyone could buy any gun at some point without cashing in some real money.

• Boothie says:

@celozzip yeah i pretty much gave up once that update hit.

@Maldomel where is that trailer now? is it just me or did EA wipe it clean of the internet after the infamous p2w update to save face?

9. Player1 says:

Same here. Liked it a lot at the start and my friends and I were mowing down royals like there’s no tomorrow until they went crazy with additional content and you had thousands of costumization options and basically the game went Pay 2 Win. I still tried a few times but much better equipped soldiers kept winning over my skills so i lost interest. Now i get a “please come back” email every few weeks…

it’s sad, they ruined a potentially great iteration of the franchise.

10. Heliocentric says:

I adored BF:Heroes, playing as a commando was a tense and visceral experience of outwitting opponents who on paper were your better. Then they added pay for jet packs. [/love]

11. MattM says:

After playing a bunch of CTF in TF2 I got pretty sick of the mode. Too many people can’t understand the strategy needed to play CTF.

12. Beelzebud says:

Looks like a cheap Team Fortress 2 knock-off, with no soul.

13. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Shame it was driven into the ground after the whole micro transaction service to game time business shifted post release.

Oh EA.

14. Boarnoah says:

I must say I did enjoy the game quite a lot and still do, I tried team fortress 2 but didn’t find it as enjoyable (probably because the maps were too small for my taste)

And admittedly it is often very hard to get any of the “uber” weapons without actually reaching for your wallet (as the prices for getting it for free often require you to devote a very large chunk of time)

But I do have quite a lot of uber weapons and haven’t spend a cent on them, the devs and marketing department are quite generous with dishing out free premium currency (battle funds) at one point I had nearly 2000BF which is more than enough to well equip all three class characters that I had