No Yolk: Dizzy’s Back

By Alec Meer on November 22nd, 2011 at 12:22 pm.

I'm going to celebrate by listening to some Shellac

Update: Confirmed as Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk, but for iOS and Android only. Bah!

Dizzy: a smiling egg-man controlled in assorted platform-puzzle-adventures by old European men such as I back in the late 80s and early 90s. For some reason (perhaps because he wasn’t the figurehead of a console company; perhaps because the key devs left to start their own company; perhaps because he was, well, an egg), Codemasters’ one-time flagship character didn’t really survive into the 21st Century. But now the delicate wee fellow is apparently due for a return. What kind of return is a mystery: all we have to go on is this none-too-cryptic image at the brow-rasingly-named eggcitingnews.com. Are you willing to shell out for the yolkfolks’ return?

Given Codies haven’t exactly had the best run of things lately (Red River and Bodycount didn’t meet a warm reception), my guess is these will be remastered releases of ye olde Dizzy games, perhaps for EyeTelephones but with a bit of luck also for for the modern-day equivalents of the personal computers they once ran on. I’d be surprised if it was a whole new Dizzy game. But we’ll see. No word yet on if creators the Oliver Twins, now at Blitz, will be attached to the project(s) either.

Having not played a Dizzy game for years, I honestly can’t tell you if they still stand up or not – if they deserve the gentle fondness my mind suggests when I try to recall of them, or if they’re over-cute and irritating by today’s standards. Anyone able to offer a -hahahahahahahahaahahahaaaah – more objeggtive opinion?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Mike says:

I tried to get our old Amiga working the other day, to limited success. Dizzy is still very charming and a lot of fun, but the controls are as terrible as ever. The way he jumps is this weird, gravity-bending mess. But everything else is so much fun.

This is great news!

2. Malcolm says:

I suspect if they ditched the (fairly harsh by modern standards) 5? lives and you’re out mechanic they could be quite a pleasant simple-puzzle/adventuring diversion.

• Unaco says:

Dumb down Dizzy? What? I suppose you want Quick Time Events as well huh (press Eggs to not die?) And switch it from 2D side viewed platformer to an FPS? Day 1 DLC and killstreaks?

You make me sick. Well, either it’s you or the seafood I ate last night.

• frymaster says:

5 lives? some only had one!

• DrGonzo says:

Press Egg not to die would make a very good marketing campaign for this.

• Malcolm says:

@Unaco – Yes! Dumb down Dizzy – I certainly never managed to finish any of them, even walkthroughs didn’t change the fact that it was all to easy to die – usually by misjudging the jumping motion and drowning, landing in a fire, landing on an enemy, or falling off a tower through a fire and then landing on an enemy.

With infinite lives or save games or something at least you’d be able to enjoy the adventure and puzzling bit. Dizzy is a game I have fond memories of – but the memories are coloured with extreme frustration.

• noom says:

I’m fairly proud to say I completed both Treasure Island Dizzy and Prince of the Yolk Folk (which was admittedly one of the shortest ones). Also got pretty darn far with Spellbound Dizzy but that one was relatively massive…

3. Malfious says:

Commadore 64 nostalgia.. must have been 5 or something when I first played this, such a great game, back then at least

4. Drake Sigar says:

Most of the shell puns from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles work here too. Convenience!

5. Richie Shoemaker says:

I was more of a Magic Knight fan myself.

6. phuzz says:

When my folks first bought a computer (Amiga 500), the two games we had where F/A18 Interceptor, and Treasure Island Dizzy.
    Dizzy was literally one of the first computer games I ever played.
    Mind you, I remember it as being bloody annoying :(

• frymaster says:

my brother once tried to land in FA18 upside down. I was quite impressed that the devs had thought to include having sparks fly off the tail fins for the few seconds before it exploded.

Also: submarine carriers :D

• Werthead says:

I remember trying to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge in F-18 Interceptor, but the game didn’t let you. Instead, it collapsed the landing gear, leaving the plane in a crashed mode just short of the bridge. Weird.

7. Schadenfreude says:

I seem to remember them being brutally difficult (as 16-bit games should be of course). Or maybe I was just crap. I definitely remember the controls being finicky enough that I’d be uneasy playing them on some kind of touch screen.

Quickshot Pro or nothing!

• Malcolm says:

Didn’t you get reset to the starting position every time you died? (I can’t really remember). Then you had to retrace your steps back to whatever room you were in when you died in the first place, trying not to die again in the process.

• James G says:

It varied a bit, but usually death would have you respawning on the same screen, or an appropriate nearby screen if this wasn’t possible. In Treasure Island Dizzy however you only had one life, and so death threw you back to the begining with everything you accomplished undone. (Edit: To clarify the other dizzy games gave you a limited number of lives. Also, a limited number of inventory slots. Which was especially frustrating if you happened to drop the aqualung while underwater)

I honestly can’t see a modern day Dizzy using the same system, it was frustrating enough at the time, and the concept of death and game over has been dramatically diluted in recent years. You’ll also need to add in some kind of save-state, games just aren’t written to be completed in a single sitting anymore.

• frymaster says:

yeah, in treasure island you had a 3-slot rotating inventory. Every time you clicked the button you’d pick up something new (if there), and drop the last thing. So working out how to pick up/drop stuff from the sea floor involved working it out before on land, so you didn’t drop the aqualung :/

(also: 8 bit, dammit. Bloody johnny-come-lately amiga owners…)

8. BooleanBob says:

Not that I want to be that guy, but I’m finding it hard to believe, even with this few comments, that nobody has suggested that it will be rebooted as an FPS.

• Milky1985 says:

I predict a 3d Action adventure series with “epic” plot development, and a whole new origin story!

• Okami says:

Re-imagined for modern players with streamlined gameplay and a new more mature and gritty version of Dizzy. Though the devs are commited to keeping the core of what made the franchise great in the 80s!

• Dinger says:

I know. I was thinking the same thing. A hardboiled faceshooter crammed into Dizzy’s shell. The yolk’s on us folks!

Just because he’s a childhood hero doesn’t mean you should go overeasy on him. Even if previews are supposed to only give us the sunny side, if it’s a miserable hash of a game, don’t walk on eggshells around it.

• cwoac says:

Is it wrong to be intrigued by the idea of dizzy as an fps? Especially in treasure island mode :
      . Any single bullet touches you, you die.
      . One life
      . Can carry the guns / health packs / grenades total, and you have to deal with the lovely rotating interface.

It would probably the nastiest, hardest core shooter ever, really.

9. Monchberter says:

Ahh, the Speccy Sonic.

There’s some great Dizzy games out there (Magic Land was my particular favourite), but given this is Codemasters we’re talking about, I fully expect the new Dizzy game to be a Dirt / Grid spinoff, Dizzy Kart anyone?

*goes to load Kwik Snax (great arcade Dizzy that)*

10. RaveTurned says:

In B4 “eggcellent” pun.

11. Ondrej says:

Our opinions may ovary!

12. Vexing Vision says:

Let’s see if it’s the Dark Soul of platformers, or a kid-friendly version of Rayman.

13. buzzmong says:

I wonder if Kwalee are going to be behind this, it would kinda make sense if this is turns out to be a mobile phone game and if it sticks to its platforming roots.

14. Dannygeist says:

Yahtzee’s going to be aroused by this news.

15. Rick Lane says:

So it’s a sort-of Comeback Albumen for the little guy, then?

16. Tom Walker says:

I haven’t read this story. The title is too exciting. Ideally they’d release it as a Speccy ROM too.

17. NeonWraith says:

Oh gods, I hate all of you right now D:

18. Fitzmogwai says:

Breaking news:

Also due soon on your home entertainment platform of choice:

- Sabrewulf. A modern interpretation of Sabre Wulf. Set in the grim paranoia of the 50s, Sabre Man must run through this FPS shooting assorted South American jungle animals in the face until he finally confronts the evil communist infiltrators working to turn the country of Bolezuela red.

- Daley Thomson’s Decathlon. A modern reimagining of Daley Thomson’s Decathlon. Playing a washed-up ex-athlete retired to a third-world narco-state, Daley has to put all his athetic skills to use in this gritty FPS as he fights ten drug barons working to turn the country of Bolezuela white. Features Pole-vault-jousting QTEs.

19. sinister agent says:

The best Dizzy game was Fast Food. It was a sort of pac man- clone where you chased food items around a maze. I was hopeless at the puzzle/adventure Dizzy games, especially Treasure Island Dizzy, with its death music so sudden and loud that it was genuinely terrifying.

Still tried to play them now and then, though. The intro music to fantasy world dizzy was rather charming. I never did figure out how to get past that canyon. Or the dragon. Or what that “knock and enter” door was all about. Or how to get Denzel to take off his headphones. Or almost anything in Treasure Island Dizzy. But then, I’ve never got on well with adventure games.

20. cai says:

Until there’s a decent Speedy Eggbert reboot, I’m not interested in any egg-related games.

21. SiHy_ says:

What’s next…? A ‘Seymour Goes To Hollywood’ reboot?

• noom says:

Gotta love that game. Not what you’d call a “subtle tribute” to the dizzy games. Still fun though as I remember it :3

22. jonfitt says:

OOh interesting. Some of my fondest Speccy memories are of Dizzy. Although I had to cheat on all but the shortest Prince of The Yolkfolk to see them through to the end. So punishing by today’s standards!

23. Mario Figueiredo says:

I have mixed feeling about this.

Codemasters never allow WoS distribution of the the dizzy series. This slowly but steadily grew my contempt for the company. Now, seeing the little character is due to be back, sort of legitimates Codemasters refusal.

This conflicts with my desire to stay angry.

24. Smebb says:

I will no doubt buy a Dizzy game, as a big Dizzy fan.
    Rehash, revamp, mish-mash or completely new game… So long as it has the same cast and feel to it. Denzil! <3

25. Red_Avatar says:

When I was 13 in 1993, a friend of my brother gave him a single floppy disk with Fantastic Dizzy, Magicland Dizzy, Yolkfolk, Fast Food and Kwik Snax. I remember having tons and tons of fun with these games – Fast Food was my least favorite though.

They’re still fun in a way, although most of them are pretty unforgiving. The atmosphere and colourful graphics of the PC versions are well worth a look, though.

26. Wulf says:

This is something I’ve wanted for a long time.

That is all.

(Also: Clover is a pretty damn decent modern Dizzy-alike.)

27. Jimbo says:

I only want it if I can buy it on a tape at the paper shop. Right by the penny sweets. *sob*

28. notrobot says:

There are some awful puns on here but omlette-ing you get away with them for now.

29. notrobot says:

I bet it’s some sort of on-rails shooter, though I’m hoping for something more free-range….

SORRY I’LL SHUT UP NOW

30. DrDerekDoctors says:

It’s a bit disappointing that the game they’ve chosen to convert is the crappiest of the series. Prince Of The Yolkfolk was a bonus game added to one of the full-price collections and only later released in a shameful attempt to make more money.

31. Ankheg says: