Bullet Points From Max Payne 3′s Art Boss

By Jim Rossignol on November 24th, 2011 at 7:41 am.

Gamespot have bagged a huge video interview with Max Payne 3′s art director, Rob Nelson, and you can see that below. Nelson starts out talking about the style of the game, with reference to the series’ inspiration in Hong Kong cinema, but also touching on the choice to set the new game in South America. The goes on to discuss some of the choices in physics and animation, and what that means for how the team are developing Max Payne’s gunplay potential for the new game. The interview clip also features a bunch of in-game footage.

Max Payne 3 will glide slowly into our reticules in March of 2012.

, .

1. dalejwilliams says:

I’m pretty excited about this release, the animation looks astounding.

2. Myles says:

The animation is superb (especially rolling around on the floor) and I really do buy this ‘animation-physics’ merging, but I really hope they keep the story as intriguing as the first two. I worry that this’ll become a mindless-action sequel with lacings of Max Payne plot.

3. Plopsworth says:

For a second I thought it said: “starts out talking in the style of the game”.

[Cue gritty voice] “I had arrived at the Rockstar office complex on a grey Monday morning. As I passed the threshold and walked past the receptionist, I couldn’t help thinking about the chain of events that had brought me to this destination. I felt like a bullet fired out of the barrel of a gun – terminal velocity reached – trajectory unknown. I was sliding along the razors edge – blindfolded – juggling deadlines, crunch-times, market forces and family life like a sleepwalking circus performer – but it was the only thing I could do – the only thing i wanted to do…”

• noilly says:

…”The bug stared at me like the spindly hellspawn that haunt my dreams. The keyboard and its infinite possibilities loomed over me like the sword of Damocles. I depressed the keys in my miasmatic cubicle, a chimpanzee consigned to chipping away at an obsidian monolith with a hastily crafted stone pick. The guillotine deadline was racing towards my neck and all I could do to resist was pop another saccharine pill. Alone, racing in a cart towards the nether portal…”

• Syra says:

“…The pills did nothing to ease the pain. The grating, grinding sensation a constant reminder of the possibility that an aneurysm could kill me in a heartbeat, the fathomless machinations of the microscopic movements of the bullet in my head calling the shots. Soon the interview would go live. Soon it would be there for all the world to see, the fans like so many howling wolves, judging my every syllable. Logic told me I made the effort and it should turn out okay. Logic was such a liar. If I made a mistake I would feel the crushing weight of the editor’s titanic boot stomp down, mercilessly on my groin. It had to be good, there was no choice. There is never a choice…”

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

“I think um… the, the uh…”

Every moment lasted an hour. My hesitation filled the air like smoke from a
      burning city choking every thought.

My words turned into clichés, trite sentences as dead as the corpses I’d left behind.

“first two max payne games are very uh… story-driven… uh… experiences.”

I was in a GameSpot interview. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

4. max pain says:

Looks nice, I just don’t like the bullet trails, a little too much.

It’s Payne! He’s commin’ down the stairs! Shoot the bastard!

• MadMatty says:

+1 ditch the bullet trails. Its meant to make it easy to see whos shooting at you (why?), but it just makes you lose immersion.

• Dhatz says:

I guess games stopped caring about visual immersion, they don’t even bother making smooth “adrenalin blur”.

5. John Brindle says:

And for a moment I thought ‘art boss’ referred to some kind of mid-game encounter with a powerful NPC who paints things into reality and forces Max to fight his way through a series of sub-worlds resembling paintings by Brueghel, Michaelangelo, Thomas Cole, Picasso and Hockney before finally finishing him off by dropping Damien Hirsts’ stuffed shark on his head.

6. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I can’t wait. Max Payne with a vastly improved Euphoria animation system? I’ll be sure to preorder this.

• Magnetude says:

I’ll miss the way MP2′s villains (and Max) would cartwheel into the air, limbs flung wide, when hit by a grenade… But yeah, Euphoria is all this series needed to become my ideal game.

I’m hoping there’s still a button that pauses the game and rotates the camera slowly around Max, much joy was had diving out of explosions firing twin uzis, then pausing to savour the carnage.

7. Ninja Dodo says:

GTA IV was awkward looking, but Red Dead Redemption was the first game that convinced me the Euphoria system could actually work. They seem to have the right idea with mixing in a healthy amount of keyframe and mocap with the simulation. Looks like a solid step forward.

Between this and Team Ico, in-game animation is going places.

• MadMatty says:

Overgrowth! Wolfire.com

• Magnetude says:

Bless Bethesda for trying to implement ragdoll-to-animation blending in Skyrim, ragdolling a baddy and seeing them wobble up to their feet is like watching vintage Doctor Who.

• sneetch says:

Being rag-dolled by a passing giant on the other hand is not so much fun. Bastards don’t even have the courtesy to shout “fore!” Think about the other golfersgiants!

• Ninja Dodo says:

@MadMatty: Agreed, Wolfire is also doing some cool stuff with dynamic movement.

8. Ultra Superior says:

The man sounds as troubled and lethargic as the main protagonist of the TROPA DEL ELITE movies. Which is coincidentally their inspiration source. Go BOPE!

• Magnetude says:

Is that film worth a watch? I saw a trailer for the sequel the other day and it looks intense. Plus it had quotes describing it as like “the best parts of THE DEPARTED, CITY OF GOD, and THE WIRE” which made me imagine Jack Nicholson and Idris Elba chasing a chicken.

9. Drayk says:

The more I see of this game, the more I think it might live up to the two first games.

10. Squire says:

A big part of being an “Art Boss” includes taking hypnotics apparently. I thought he was gonna stop talking half-way through, mid-sentence and that would be the end of the interview.

“…and another thing we’re doing is…uh…..making Max…more….um….”

-FADE TO

At least the game looks ace, bullet trails are rubbish though, get them to fuck. Also from what he was saying about the targeting and iron sights etc it seems like you can play the whole game without looking down the game. Well you better be able to, otherwise I’m not liking, its way more cool to fire nonchalantly and have your bullet fly through someone’s eye 100 metres [THAT IS HOW YOU SPELL METRE!] away.

11. kud13 says:

well, now that you’ve got Euphoria working for PC, how about bringing us RDR, Rockstar?