Classy Heroics: Firefall’s Battleframes

By Adam Smith on November 24th, 2011 at 9:30 am.

Rule #546: Every game with a class system must contain in image of characters standing side by side in a manner never seen in the actual game

There are the jetpacks, of course, which instantly drew out a nod of approval, but my first impressions of Firefall were only of mild interest. The marketing campaign has been rarely effective though, not because of increasing bombast or social network integration which would be more likely to make me ignore it’s attempts to inflitrate my life, but because it has increasingly taught me what it will actually be like to play. The latest developer diary is another convincing burst of information. It sits before me and tells me how the various classes will work and, most importantly, why that will be fun. Observe.

My most heroic moments occur when a friend needs me to edit a cover letter or personal statement. It may not be as glamorous as being able to construct energy shields but it is far more practical and I don’t have to wear a battleframe to do it. If necessary, I can fulfill my heroics in nothing more than a bathrobe.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Flukie says:

This game does look interesting to me, but as many other people are saying, I feel like I’m gonna be busy for at least half a year on the games I already own/haven’t played.

Hell I don’t even need batman to come out on friday even though I preordered. It’s great but it does mean that I’m bound to ignore a decent game along the way.

• Drayk says:

The game seems interesting. Reminds me of Tribes. But as Flukie said we have tons of games to play already…

• FalseMyrmidon says:

That’s because the lead designer was the lead designer on Tribes 1. The community manager even formerly ran the largest tribes forum.

2. MadMatty says:

yup ive joined the too-many-games order aswell recently, tho i´d give this a go as it looks a bit more interesting, like Tabula Rasa with jetpacks, plus added PvP (never played Tribes).

Also, nice to see a dev video from the US, which isnt some of the usual PR bullshit spamjargon, but is actually informing.
    “Our game is awesome, a revoloution, we´re so excited, its such an amazing place to work etc” – like dude, you work there.

3. Serenegoose says:

So, the dreadnought ‘frame’ for women has no armour whatsoever on her thighs.

Could she just not afford it? Like she got the torso plate and the ridiculo-boots and the gloves and then just ran out of cash and decided it was enough? What’s the in-universe reason why my super-tank, 50% of the time, is missing substantial chunks of their armour specifically where incredibly debilitating (at best, quickly lethal at worst) shots can be placed?

…..Is that what they’re offering to generate microtransaction income? Thigh plates?

4. P4p3Rc1iP says:

That medic mechanic reminds me of a certain other game with a cartoonish style… Can’t remember the name though. Think it was from the same studio that did Halo. Oh no wait, Quake, and then it became a mod or something. The studio was called Gasket I believe, just can’t remember the name of the game.

• Milkthistle says:

Except the medic in the early version you are describing ran around and hit people over the head with his medpac, giving them aids or healing his own team. The aids would then spread to the rest of the enemy team as they ran into each other until an enemy medic healed them all! (it was so much more fun to play medic back then)

5. BathroomCitizen says:

I still can’t appreciate the art style of the battle-frames.

Am I broken?

6. ChiefOfBeef says:

They’re balancing classes the complete opposite to how the WoW devs do then. For WoW, they designed PvE raid encounters and that was the top priority, then they tweak the classes to be balanced for them, then leave PvP virtually broken. It had always been obvious that it would be more straightforward to balance for PvP first, then adjust PvE content around how the classes turn out. But then they wouldn’t have their PvE-focused Alliance and Horde picnic with no actual war going on.

7. ImOnTheRadio says:

Ah, RPS finally posted this too. :P It was nice to finally have a new dev diary. I didn’t find it that interesting but atleast the subject was important and the game clips looked really good. Been waiting for this game since January.

8. DarkByke says: