‘Piracy’ Stops Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC

By Adam Smith on November 24th, 2011 at 5:14 pm.

You don't want this...but you do want to steal it

Is it Thanksgiving or Groundhog day? I could have sworn it was yesterday that news emerged of a Ubisoft title not being released on PC, with anguished claims about rampant piracy being blamed. Now it’s the turn of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and although the quotes given to PC Gamer don’t actually accuse us all of ‘bitching’, they do paint an unpleasant view of the PC gaming landscape. We’re told that Ghost Recon Online is the PC’s alternative to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

‘Why’, you ask? Senior producer Sebastien Arnoult has the answers. Or at least, some answers. “When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game.” Sigh.

There it is. A frank admission that ‘classical’ PC ports don’t have ‘any deep development’ because PC consumers are mostly pirates. Thanks for that. Arnoult claims that Future Soldier was never intended to come out on PC, although the existence of PC-specific forums at the official website suggests there may well have been plans at some point. It’s the reasoning given for not releasing the game that are so bothersome though.

What’s particularly irksome is the seeming faith in the assumption that the vast majority of people who play games on a PC would rather pirate them than pay for them. That must be why Skyrim is selling so badly and why Steam has collapsed under the pressure of operating in an environment where nobody spends any money, ever, for any reason. It’s a horrible place, the world he describes, so I’m glad that reality doesn’t appear to contain it.

But in case you’re thinking that you actually would like to pay for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, don’t worry. You’re wrong, you don’t want that at all. This decision was made because they’ve listened to us! Mr Arnoult tells us how he’s reacted to our demands, while also telling us what we said in the first place.

“We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’”

The framing of that statement, arriving with the announcement that the game won’t be on PC at all, does make it sound like all PC gamers traditionally acquire games through Pirate Bay. Is it a stretch to suggest that there’s an admission that Ubisoft’s DRM has polluted experiences in the past? If so, it seems an odd solution to remove the thing that was polluted rather than trying to clean it up. Perhaps we should drain the oceans.

What else?

“We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.”

So they are embracing the pirate-ridden wasteland by only releasing free games into it? I’m not entirely sure I understand. Who wins in that situation? Not legitimate customers, that’s for sure, who it seems will miss out on the entire single player campaign of Future Soldier, with only Ghost Recon: Online to play. That’s not to say Ghost Recon: Online won’t be a good game – we’ll be writing about it very soon, having seen it and come away impressed. But the attitude as to why only a free game is possible on PC does rankle. It doesn’t help that we’ve had comments like this two days in a row, of course.

There’s a little more.

“I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform [Xbox] that is clearly meant to be €60′s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.”

You see, we don’t want super-Hollywood content on the PC, or sixty Euro’s worth of game. We just want the scraps. Except we also want the super-Hollywood content so much that we will steal it at the first possible opportunity.

I think I’ll play Serious Sam 3 for a while, obviously spending the whole time wishing that it was more Hollywood.

, , , , , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

Oh well, I guess people will pirate it on the consoles then.

2. thetruegentleman says:

Why stop with the PC? Haven’t they read the articles about people stealing hundreds of copies of video games from stores and trucks? In other words, they shouldn’t sell their game for consoles either, because 90% of the people who will play that game either stole it, bought a stolen copy, or maybe just rented it.

ffordesoon says:

Yeah, I came away perplexed by that comment when I read it on PC Gamer yesterday. It seems like a fairly fundamental misunderstanding of the F2P ethos. League Of Legends isn’t as popular as it is because PC gamers just want to pirate things; it’s popular because it’s a good game that people like. The lack of a barrier to entry just makes it more popular.

I mean, the two ideas are inequal anyway. Piracy is (speaking incredibly generally) about getting a full game for free. F2P is about giving away ninety percent of the game in hopes that people will shell out cash for the (ideally) unnecessary-but-cool remaining ten percent. A dyed-in-the-wool, utterly unrepentant pirate – and I think there are honestly pretty few – doesn’t want to pay for anything. You’re not “serving a market” when you get him or her to try Ghost Recon Online, because he or she is presumably never going to pay you anything. I suppose they might eventually eke some cash out of a few, but if these people are already willing to steal stuff, they presumably have no moral objection to cheating. If they do end up cheating, you kinda have to ban them, right? And if you do, they’ll either go off and pirate more stuff (lose), or sign up with a dummy account and cheat maliciously, thereby ruining the game for the legitimate customers (lose). So, lose-lose.

I realize I’m generalizing a fair bit here, but my point is that Ubi’s stance on this makes no sense even if we take the initial (il)logic given as read.

“Hey! People who do not and will never pay for things! Come give our game a go! Don’t cheat, though, or we’ll ban you!”

I could be oversimplifying things, but that does feel an awful lot like what they’re saying, doesn’t it?

ffordesoon says:

Aaaand there it is!

HAAAAAH.

• NathanH says:

I don’t know much about F2P games but I am assuming that their thinking regarding dirty rotten pirates is some combination of:

1) free players are quite useful to make the game more popular and give the paying players someone to feel superior to, so even people who don’t pay are worth something

2) they hope the game will be sufficiently addictive that even the stalwart freeloaders will not be able to resist. F2P games look to me a bit like a really big and clever demo, and with very low entry price points to entice people to start paying. And once someone starts paying, I think there’s a fair chance they’ll pay more later. I’m not sure whether I admire or detest the F2P model.

ffordesoon says:

Both good points, but it still strikes me as a bizarre decision. “Cutting off the face to spite the nose”, as I belive someone else in the comments just described it (on an iPhone, so checking is too much of a hassle to be worth it).

Regarding F2P: I agree that the typical business model for it does give off the odor of marine life, but I’ve played some genuinely excellent F2P games, the aforementioned LoL among them. As a traditional game, LoL would’ve gotten fifty of my dollars; as an F2P game, it’s gotten a hundred so far. And I didn’t need to pay either time I shelled out the fifty. I could’ve gone without paying a cent and been peachy. I wanted to pay. The game itself is good whether or not you spend a dime. That model is a model I can support.

I do think it’s a model CoD should adopt, incidentally: give us multiplayer for free, and make us pay for SP campaigns and extra content. Not that the current model isn’t working for them, obviously, but it does seem like at least having a Premium Elite account should just be a yearly subscription that nets you everything, whereas a Free account gives you some rotating maps and the ability to buy into the SP campaigns? I don’t know if it would make them quite as much dough, which is why they won’t do it, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t be the best thing for them in the long term, particularly of they’re going to do annual releases anyway. You know?

• PodX140 says:

NathanH, free players are completely valueless to ubi, see their stance on piracy. Pirates are not a source of advertising, sales, or anything valuable. Likewise, anyone who plays the game for free is not a source of advertising, sales, or anything valuable.

This is Ubi Logic. Aka, No logic.

4. scottossington says:

I am still going to wait for the Settlers 7 DLC to go for cheap and that’s it for me and Ubisoft.

5. DickSocrates says:

Piracy is a problem. But it is not nearly the problem they choose to believe it is. Why they don’t want to know the facts but instead choose to believe the nonsense floating around I don’t know. You’d think someone who has risen to the position of a successful game developer would have greater critical thinking abilities.

Many of those pirated copies are not lost sales, they would never have been sales.

Many of those are from PC owners who don’t know if their system can run the game properly (something you cannot ever tell unless you try it) and since the developer can’t be arsed to put out a demo, many get a copy for testing purposes. If it works, a lot of those then turn into sales.

Some are even people who actually bought the game first and can’t stand the pointless and trouble causing DRM. One look at the Arkham City techincal forums shows some legit customers unable to launch the game because of SecuRom.

Some are indeed straight up piracy because people didn’t want to pay.

So to lump in all those categories into the one simplistic view is frankly unworthy of an intelligent person. It seems like they actively don’t want to engage with the issue in any intelligent way. Why would anyone choose to approach any problem that way?

PC sales are lower because: A) Lots of people have consoles B) Not everyone can run these new games C) Publishers generally silently release the PC version in the hopes no one notices it even exists, putting all their effort into console release. They don’t market properly and then pretend it is all piracy. No doubt piracy reduces this number, but it’s not the difference between a billion units and 5.

6. alundra says:

And this is bad news why?? There has only been one good GR game and that was the first one and it’s expansion. And if the most nagging company out there wants to start acting like the queen bitch (see? we can call them bitches too) and back off the PC platform, more power to them. The PC landscape will be nicer with them out of the picture.

RaveTurned says:

Henceforth known as Fuck Youbisoft.

8. Prime says:

Ach, Ubisoft can go [HAVE SEX WITH] themselves for all I care. They’ve just admitted they only give us the most basic scraps from their table, porting things in such a perfunctory, yeah-whatever fashion. they clearly don’t care to do what is necessary to win back PC custom, they’d rather just write us off as thieves.

For the record, I’ve spent a [LOVE-MAKING] fortune on games this year alone but I’ve boycotted Ubisoft due to the horrible and frankly abusive way they do business on PC. You want to take your games elsewhere? Good. Go. I’m quite happy to spend my money on people who will appreciate it and reward that transaction, as I did Day One with both Skyrim and Saint’s Row The Third this month.

• Blackcompany says:

I just wanted to say that a {Love Making} fortune is going into my online repertoire. That’s simply too good to pass up. Cheers.

9. tehfish says:

I now have the urge to download the console versions of these games, even though i have no way of playing them, just to annoy them…

10. Blackcompany says:

I have finally figured it out. The truth behind all of Ubisoft’s anti-pc-gaming rhetoric. It just hit me, actually.
    This is the same tactic politicians use to discredit opponents with whom they are concerned. Attack, degrade, dehumanize their supports and paint them as villains. Make everyone believe the cause is a vile, evil thing no honest person would support. Convince the majority to turn away and refuse to participate in their illicit lifestyle. By lumping all pc gamers into the Pirate category, Ubisoft paints a picture of PC gamers as inhumane, dishonorable thieves who are not worth supporting.
    This of course belies their silent counterargument. ‘Come to Console’ they not-whisper in the ear of budding devs. “PC is a sinkhole of lost profits due to pirates, don’t waste time with it. This ‘silent argument’ is implicit in their anti-PC campaign.
    But more important than the rant itself, is the reason for the rant. Ubisoft has a motive for their anti-pc campaign, see. They see the future, and they like it not. Ubi sees a future wherein small, independent developers, who care more about the quality of their games than about the bottom line of profit sheets, can compete on an even keel with triple-A devs.
    Ubisoft sees the Mojangs and the Supergiants competing toe to toe with itself, EA, Bethesda, et al. This comes mostly thanks to digital distribution eliminating many retail costs once associated with video game development. Steam, Impulse and yes, even Origin, all grant indie devs an entry into the market without the need to spend millions to distribute copies of their games worldwide. It lets them sell digital games in Australia at digital prices, not physical retail prices, since as digital distributions only, they need not worry about competing with brick and mortar stores carrying their product.
    Ubisoft sees this future. Ubisfot is concerned.
    Ubisoft is scared.
    They know the stranglehold the big houses hold on quality gaming is slowly eroding. They know they are losing their grip on AAA titles. They know that while indies are not eroding a significant portion of their market share now, the day will come when indies are eroding a gigantic share.
    Ubisoft knows that in this world, they can no longer just redistribute reskinned versions of old games every six months and compete in the long term. They know that they will need to up development time, increase the care they put into games, focus on story and innnovate in order to keep up in this world. They know this, and they know how it will affect their profit margin.
    Ubisoft knows this, and Ubisoft, is scared.

• Talnoy says:

The thing is, Ubisoft doesn’t care about quality – which is exactly what a lot of PC gamers DO care about.

Look at the Witcher 2. Smaller developer in Poland, and the game sells 2 millions copies, which a couple weeks after launch were made DRM-free. It sold 2 million copies because it’s a GOOD GAME, not because it’s Assassin’s Creed “The same game as last year with new gimmicks” 4.

Good quality games sell on PC, and bad quality ones do not do so well – I’d put money on the fact that on PC, Modern Warfare 3 sales would be (in proportions per 100,000 customers, each with a PC) at LEAST a third lower than consoles because a lot of people know that it’s the same recycled garbage as last year.

Ubisoft doesn’t care to release their products on PC because they simply know that they’re not good. Not to mention the horrendous DRM. I bought AssCreed 2 on PC and had to crack it because it wouldn’t run properly and I’d get kicked off all the time.

I’ve not bought a Ubisoft product since, and good riddance I say.

• StingingVelvet says:

Witcher 2 only sold a million… actually “close to a million” was the statement. And that was after it went down to $29.99 everywhere. Kind of disappointing compared to the original actually, and to Crysis, the last big PC exclusive with that kind of budget that I can think of.

Not saying it wasn’t successful, but them’s the facts. And I bet it doubles the PC sales in a week on Xbox.

ffordesoon says:

Sigh. It would seem my long, somewhat well-reasoned, and not at all nerd-rage-y post got eaten by the internet, so I guess I’ll just post something snide, blunt, and scattershot:

“Hey, people who do not, have not, and will never pay for anything! We have listened to you, because clearly you are our PC customer base! Here, play this thing that is free until you want to be at all good at it! But remember, if your obvious lack of moral compunctions extends to cheating so you don’t have to pay us for things, we will ban you, which will in no way result in your taking our servers down with a DDoS attack, nor in your logging back on using a dummy account and maliciously cheating in order to drive our legitimate customers away, nor even in your hacking our servers to extract our legitimate customers’ personal information that you may sell it to the highest bidder! Have fun!”

GOOD BUSINESS SENSE.

12. 2late2die says:

Does anyone find it interesting that it’s the games from Ubisoft that seems to be the most susceptible to piracy (at least according to their developers). Hmmm, I wonder if maybe their “effective” DRM might have something to do with it. Because everyone else seems to be doing just fine with PC.

JayG says:

Very good post Black, not sure I’d agree, but makes u think.

• Blackcompany says:

Thanks. Its a theory. Seems a little early in the lives of many indies for Ubi to be so concerned. But then too, why not get a jump on stopping the erosion of their stranglehold?.
      I just showed a friend of mine with a PS3 and one with an XBOX the Steam Autumn deals. One is upset. The other just bought a high-end gaming laptop.
      If you are Ubi, better to villainize Pc gamers and talk devs into focusing their efforts on tightly-controlled console markets now, before more people realize the possibilities indie devs and PC have to offer.
      But I could be wrong, and it could just be sheer paranoia and an ignorance of how the market works. Ubi and some other devs have spent so long mired in the existing model that a certain degree of ‘normalcy bias’ might have kicked in, making them resist change to a ridiculous degree, and seize on any excuse to do so.

• Machinations says:

I can’t say it is anything more than anecdotal but a bunch of previously console only gamers I know have recently purchased PC’s. They were tempted by:

- Low price point of mid-range hardware
      - Cheaper and often better looking games vs. console equivalent
      - Free DLC (See Left for Dead 2) / Mods
      - The fact that you can actually do shit on a PC other than gaming and fucking around with 8$ streaming video rentals
      - free shit like League of Legends

I predict, with no evidence whatsoever, a reversal of the console dominance of the latter half of the 00′s.

14. ts061282 says:

A game that is significantly hurt by piracy is a shitty game. After playing said game by piracy, people will a) not buy it, and b) tell others to not buy it, but maybe pirate it. Not porting games that will be hurt by piracy is the Industries gift to PC by self selecting shitty titles to not publish on PC.

15. LazyAssMF says:

Well, if you didn’t put that stupid DRM in almost every stupid game, Ubi-Gubi, maybe people would actually buy your ported, unfinished, unplayable games. I have a feeling that this is just an excuse for their poor sales, because PC people f…in hate their crappy ports an DRM and for that, THEM. Look at happy Bioware? They are rolling in money from PC sales because they made a good, well oiled, optimized PC game with good controls not a crappy, rusty port with hated “proteksiown”. You gotta break some sweat, Ubi-mada-Fubi, if you wanna make a PC-lovable and buy-able game. Get a life!!!

16. malkav11 says:

An online multiplayer game I have no interest in playing sure is an excellent substitute for a singleplayer game I….well, okay wasn’t particularly interested in but -might- have wanted to play. Yup.

Oh, but I have consoles, so surely I will be right there with the idea of playing it there if I want to, right? It’s not like it’s a shooter that will be fumbling and awkward on gamepad. …oh wait.

17. SirDimos says:

I’ve never pirated a Ubisoft game (or any game in the past like 5-6 years), and this is it. I’m done Ubisoft. I’m tired of putting up with your bullshit DRM that you claim is reducing piracy, only to then turn around and basically say that any game on PC that doesn’t have a free-to-play model is not worth making. I have to admit – I was tempted to pirate your games AFTER buying the legitimate version just to avoid your god damn DRM, but never did so out of principle.

At this point, I can only pray that someone takes the HoMM (or as you apparently like to call it: MaMH) series out of your hands because I’m so fucking done with you. If not, then I’ll just have to let that series go.

• LostViking says:

By HoMM 3 on GOG, problem solved ;)

I agree with you though, Ubisoft is acting like a little child with fingers in their ears shouting “PC gaming is dead because of piracy, nothing we can do, la la la”.

• automata says:

The only problem: if you buy HoMM 3 now, the money goes to Ubisoft.

18. Mario Figueiredo says:

I think it should be worth exploring why exactly does Ubisoft (or studios developing for Ubisoft) insists in making such a fuss of what appears to be a strong desire to stop developing for the PC.

I mean, this has been going for a good couple of years. And it seems it always escalates to new and more damaging ways of insulting a whole market. I just don’t get it. Frankly, confuses me because the usual corporate approach to these things is so careful and measured.

If Ubisoft wants to abandon the PC platform, please go! Just go. What is hard to understand is why they keep staying while shouting at every PC gamer at the same time.

19. kud13 says:

only Ubi games I shall buy form this time on will be the ones from GOG.

I have also spent well over 500 dollars on games this year so far.
    I used to pirate many games. still may, occasionally (largely for demo purposes)

I have never owned a playbox, nor do I intend to ever own one.

I’m guessing if Ubi doesn’t want my money, well who am I to say no?
    I guess i’ll just support companies like CDPRed with pre-orders instead.

20. Mario Figueiredo says:

Also, a petition for Ubisoft to abandon the PC market signed by a few hundred thousand gamers, if not a million would be great.

A petition thanking Ubisoft for all the years of good and not so good games, but asking for it to please retire from a market it doesn’t obviously want to be in. It’s just that it’s fine if they want to go. We understand, really. Just go. Nobody really can’t stand you anymore Ubisoft. Just go.

21. Zarunil says:

I’m pirating this article. Take THAT, capitalism!

• InternetBatman says:

The sad thing is that rps had a problem with just that for a while. Another site was cloning them and stealing their articles.

22. evenflowjimbo says:

Good riddance. I’ve would’ve regretted buying this game, anyways.

23. mickygor says:

I am a student in higher education. I am a full time worker in the tech industry. I am a moderately successful entrepreneur. I pay my taxes and bills, because I have to, and I shop at Waitrose, because I want to. I have a PC so expensive it’s half of my contents insurance. I have a steam account, that I proudly log into every time I boot my machine. I have a long list of legitimately purchased games, some that I play, some that I don’t.

I’ve never pirated a video game.
    I am the 5%

OccupyDRMSt.org

24. Kleppy says:

It’s just so simple:

MAKE GOOD GAME = MAKE PROFIT. A good developer would want his game in front of as many people as possible, because he is sure in the knowledge that if he would provide a good service, people would be more than willing to pay for it. The reason this game and other don’t make it to the PC is either because of an exclusivity deal, or because that developer knows his game isn’t good enough. Simple as that. I have no idea what kind of messed up world view would make someone go “no, I don’t I want my game, which I have spent the last 3 years working on, to be seen by a couple million of PC users.”

25. bleeters says:

I’m sure I’ll find some way to cope with the gaping void the absence of this title will inevitable etch upon my soul.

You have wounded me to my sad, sad core.

26. AlexW says:

I have no more anger left, just apathy. Ubisoft, I give glowing praise for games you’ve made and give you the benefit of the doubt on so many flawed sequels to the point that I find and argue their good points, and yet you treat me like a pirate at every point: you release games late with rancid excuses and disgusting wheedling, you tie games down with DRM that doesn’t update itself after a few months so that I can’t easily go back to play a game again, you cut yourselves off from reliable revenue streams that you could get by putting tiny teams on creating classic-style games, and you outright refuse to release games on my platform.

I have no more effort left to argue with you, so go on then. Enjoy your smaller revenue stream and total lack of goodwill. Just… go.

27. Stackler says:

Sorry for being so rude, but this guy is a pretentious asshole. Where do the companies get all these idiots from?! Are they growing on trees in the Ubisoft company garden?

Oozo says:

Might not be the first to mention it, but the logic is crooked, ain’t it?
    See, the guys who pirate your game? Not your customers. 100% of your customers pay, if not, they wouldn’t be your customers.

29. Earl of Sandvich says:

Well, Ubisoft drank the most punch of any publisher, so their rants about PC gamers as pirates comes to no surprise for every article about them. Their current behavior, such as this AND one of the devs saying that we “bitch” and that “herp de derp nobody buys PC games”, is why I refuse to do any business with it in the future (aside from Beyond Good and Evil, but that’s beside the point).

30. Yosharian says:

Uh, and this matters why? The Ghost Recon games are bargain bin material at best.

• Sassenach says:

Havn’t you heard? People want their games and films to merge into an archon of pure sensory input untrammeled by substance.

31. StingingVelvet says:

I feel like we’re taking a time warp back to 2005 with yesterday and today’s comments. There was a time when it was all piracy all the time, low sales and “we might as well give up on PC” and shit. I thought we were done with that though, I thought that era was over. It figures it would be Ubisoft that keeps bringing that shit up… they’ve always seemed to take piracy personally for whatever reason.

Good thing Future Soldier looked like shit and I don’t really care. The “Hollywood” he mentions is laughable, and one of the reasons FS looks like shit.

Now, if Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed 3 are canceled for PC, THEN we might have a problem.

• PitfireX says:

I think its sad that gamers have to be disrespected like this before they boycott a game or company…. ubi and EA have been making the same ol same ol not unique or special rubbish for years, we should have left them in the dust years ago. this industry used to be all about invention….how its simply supply and demand

32. Beelzebud says:

I’m 100% sure I’ll never buy (or even pirate) another Ubisoft game, for the rest of my life.

If he thinks it’s some great privilege to play their games, he’s sadly mistaken.

33. Mikkoeronen says:

All this blaming on pc-gamers is making me to think that pc-gamers want more quality games these days, they have started to refuse buying games that have no real value (so called big budget eye-candies).

Look at the Indie genre, Look at Witcher 2, Penumbra.. and other games that actually have value. In fact, their creators trust their product so much that they sell those games DRM-free. There are games that are less about graphics and more about actual content, yet they manage to pull out some quite impressing artworks and graphics. The best part is, these developers do mostly quite well.

Sure I can pay for a quality games. I recently bought Skyrim and Saints Row the third and I have been very happy with both of them. Sometimes we do need a big-budget eye-candy games to enjoy some.

Lately though I have noticed a huge spike on how visible the indie-genre has become these days, which is a fabulous thing. Purely because this is what PC-gaming is really about: Indie-games.
    We players can now fund and support games which we want developed, directly. And the price is usually so small there isn’t much of a risk.

34. PitfireX says:

Am i the only one buying games anymore?

35. Freud says:

What is absurd in their logic is that the whole free2play business model is based on PC gamers actually being willing to pay for things. Not all of them, but enough to make the game viable. It’s almost as if that was analogous to something else. Nope, slipped my mind.

36. testman3 says:

I think we need a poll here. Do you buy PC games?

(I certainly do =D)

37. Dezztroy says:

Gabe says hi.

“In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate’s service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.

Our goal is to create greater service value than pirates, and this has been successful enough for us that piracy is basically a non-issue for our company. For example, prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become our largest market in Europe.”

Ubisoft, when will you learn that piracy wouldn’t be an issue if you just stopped making shit games bloated with DRM?

• Shooop says:

Piracy will always be an issue. Period.

But not making terrible games loaded with customer-punishing DRM would mean the people who do end up pirating the games aren’t doing it because of those two reasons. Which as The Witcher 2 proved, happens to be two very popular reasons.

38. Ren7on says:

Dear Ghost Recon Devs:

Please note that a person who pirate a game is not a consumer, is, by definition the exact opposite. The total percentage of consumers are consumers, not pirates, dumbass.

39. Lone Gunman says:

As a PC Gamer I feel privileged that we get the most controversial of all games news :P

40. Bensam123 says:

Ah my god. What a crock of BS. They don’t make games for the PC anymore and they still blame their low sales on the PC on piracy. That was the scapegoat of the middle 00s before everyone shunned the PC market. Pirates aren’t lost sales, they’re people that never would’ve bought the game in the first place. Make a good game and people will actually buy it (with the exception of the tiny majority of users that don’t buy games on principle, like because of DRM).

‘Good’ being the operative word here. I don’t know about the rest of you, but their last ‘success’, Ghost Recon – Sniper, was a steaming PoS that wasn’t even worth pirating.

41. perablenta says:

First make a game !! FOR !! the PC that is worth buying and that works properly then you will have the right to say something to the PC players.

• Droniac says:

They released that game a couple of days ago. It’s called Anno 2070, and it’s awesome.

• Machinations says:

Quick logic check here:

Anno – Developed by Blue Byte – Published by Ubi

AssCreed – Developed and Published by Ubi

42. ImOnTheRadio says:

*facepalm*

43. Muzman says:

Piracy on consoles, though perhaps not as common, does exist doesn’t it?
    Imagine if bad straw numbers for that were so easy to see.

“Ubisoft shuts down everything but their Appstore wing”

44. MrTambourineMan says:

Who the fuck is Tom Clancy?

45. Beelzebud says:

Console piracy is more rampant than anyone in the industry is willing to acknowledge. You can mod an Xbox 360 really easily, and then the games don’t even require cracks to function. Anyone who thinks that is too hard for people, hasn’t investigated the issue. If you can flash a dvd drive with new firmware, you can do it.

Just look at the game releases form this year. Every single major title was pirated on Xbox360, in some cases weeks before the retail date. On PC its just the opposite, because while Steam isn’t crack-proof, it certainly has kept games from being leaked before their street dates.

• Stackler says:

Pirating a Xshit game isn’t really a problem. There are enough people that offer the whole service package and they will flash your console for the price of the newest CoD title. As you said, most games on consoles are pirated weeks before release, sometimes they are downloadable at the same time the gold master is arriving at the factory.

I am sick of these asshole developers accusing us PC gamers of everything they are angry about. I got games worth of about 10.000 Euro and the only case I “pirate” a game is because these mofos don’t release demos anymore. I always buy games that are good and that I want and the other ones will be deleted after 5 minutes if they are shit.

In the past every game had a demo version and you could try out before buying a shitty game. Today you have to download a pirated version, because the no quality pisspots that call themselves game designers don’t want you to realize that their newest hit is a pile of crap BEFORE you paid them your hard earned cash.

I am sick of these assholes.

46. Thingummy and or Bob says:

You do realize that the developers aren’t actually under any obligation to provide versions of their games to all the different platforms? Their reasoning might be all sorts of crazy and their frustrations misplaced (or even possibly invented), but ultimately it’s their decision. The sense of entitlement demonstrated by certain elements of the “pc gaming community” really isn’t very becoming.

• Machinations says:

Similarly, given Ubisoft’s metaphorical middle finger to all us (generally more affluent) and (generally older) PC gamers, we are under no obligation to couch our opinions in diplomat-speak.

The attitude of Ubisoft is disappointi- no, it isn’t – it’s fucking lazy and counterproductive and ultimately will come back to haunt them.

I own a box of X’s, but it gathers dust since my PC has more – how do we say – balls ; and the online is not a ridiculous walled garden, with kneecapped player counts and aim assist.

I know more people with modded consoles than unmodded. The pirate scene is massive, and totally unacknowledged by the publishers who don’t want any negative press.

I spend probably 100$ ever month or two on Steam. My library in Steam is ridiculously large.

I should thank Ubisoft for having such an intelligent representative make it easier to decide where not to spend money in the current Steam sales.

47. LeBonPainFrancais says:

HI ! Actually i worked on ACB too ! And we had some online tracking system in the game (About the game hu, not about your dark secrets) separated from the gentle DRM, and the point is… yep, we had 250 more entries (Each CD-Key had an unique entry) than games sold on PC… Ayep’, that’s about 96% piracy.

This is some secret stuff, but as my job is “not more necessary” for Ubisoft.

Have fun, but please, try to be honnest. (And please stop the “if they sold X game at 15$, it will generates 15*X$ money for Ubisoft. You know nothing (For almost all RPS reader) of an AAA cost, and how a publisher gets his money back. So, please just stop).

• Pointless Puppies says:

Congratulations! You know absolutely nothing about how to properly track and interpret information regarding piracy of a specific piece of software! Any braindead monkey can compare two numbers, subtract them, and say the remainder consists of ALL THE FILTHY PIRATES STEALING YOUR MONIES HOW DARE THEY. People actually competent at their job can distinguish between the people pirating out of inconvenience (something you CAN fix) and pirating because they can pirate (i.e., people who aren’t even in the market for your game). Any person with one iota of sense will realize that the two are not to be lumped together if you want any semblance of data that is accurate.

But of course, making such primitive tests means you don’t even care about the PC market in the first place. Do us all a favor and GTFO from the platform altogether. You’ve shown time and time again you people simply can’t make it in this platform and have resorted to the most tired and ignorant arguments about PC piracy in lieu of admitting incompetence and inability to compete in this platform.

• Machinations says:

If you hadn’t been down at Foufones getting shit faced maybe you would have realized the flaw in your logic.

Do you have stats (or even the potential to get them) on the number of consoles playing pirated ACB?
      Oh right – it would be impossible to get that, other than looking at total torrent downloads. So, it is impossible to know what percentage of people on console vs pc pirated the game, or even total number of pirates.

Perhaps Ubi should stop worrying about how many people pirated it – on PC OR Console – and worry about how much profit Ubi can make, instead.

Inevitably there are tons of ‘lost sales’ yet I don’t see Ubisoft insulting console gamers over used game reselling or console pirating.

• LeBonPainFrancais says:

Hoho, don’t be so touchy and happy to cry over my shoulder, because i don’t care about all this.

I just gave a number, i didn’t judge, i didn’t blame, i gave the piracy percentage of ACB on PC. You can explain why, how, because you seems to know all about the PC marketplace. I don’t, so i just gave a number.

I’ll be glad to work in your company by the way, with all your seldom and knowledge, you must be number 1. Or if you don’t own a company, this is a terrible waste of your potential !

48. Pointless Puppies says:

I suggest that Ubisoft bigwigs go look at how Nadeo is doing on Trackmania 2 (since, you know, they’re fucking PUBLISHING TRACKMANIA 2) and see that their idiotically ignorant and baseless claims of “LOL PC GAEMERZ PIRATE EVERYTHIN” is a complete and utter lie.

49. GeorgeB says:

Ubisoft… oh ubisoft…

50. wisnoskij says:

The strange thing about how the PC always comes up when talking about piracy is that it is significantly easier to pirate console games (in general).
    You do not even have to wait for a crack or have the potential for a virus, it just works every time.

• Machinations says:

It’s the elephant in the room – I mean, it’s not uncommon at all – but publishers don’t really want any media attention drawn to the vulnerabilities of the consoles – it would only fan the flames.

Really at some point they should realize its about the money, adopt digital distribution and activation and ignore pirates. There is going to be an acceptable amount of loss in any worthwhile venture.

If I was – and I never will be – a shareholder, I would be pissed at management for leaving money on the table.