‘Piracy’ Stops Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC

By Adam Smith on November 24th, 2011 at 5:14 pm.

You don't want this...but you do want to steal it

Is it Thanksgiving or Groundhog day? I could have sworn it was yesterday that news emerged of a Ubisoft title not being released on PC, with anguished claims about rampant piracy being blamed. Now it’s the turn of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and although the quotes given to PC Gamer don’t actually accuse us all of ‘bitching’, they do paint an unpleasant view of the PC gaming landscape. We’re told that Ghost Recon Online is the PC’s alternative to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

‘Why’, you ask? Senior producer Sebastien Arnoult has the answers. Or at least, some answers. “When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game.” Sigh.

There it is. A frank admission that ‘classical’ PC ports don’t have ‘any deep development’ because PC consumers are mostly pirates. Thanks for that. Arnoult claims that Future Soldier was never intended to come out on PC, although the existence of PC-specific forums at the official website suggests there may well have been plans at some point. It’s the reasoning given for not releasing the game that are so bothersome though.

What’s particularly irksome is the seeming faith in the assumption that the vast majority of people who play games on a PC would rather pirate them than pay for them. That must be why Skyrim is selling so badly and why Steam has collapsed under the pressure of operating in an environment where nobody spends any money, ever, for any reason. It’s a horrible place, the world he describes, so I’m glad that reality doesn’t appear to contain it.

But in case you’re thinking that you actually would like to pay for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, don’t worry. You’re wrong, you don’t want that at all. This decision was made because they’ve listened to us! Mr Arnoult tells us how he’s reacted to our demands, while also telling us what we said in the first place.

“We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.'”

The framing of that statement, arriving with the announcement that the game won’t be on PC at all, does make it sound like all PC gamers traditionally acquire games through Pirate Bay. Is it a stretch to suggest that there’s an admission that Ubisoft’s DRM has polluted experiences in the past? If so, it seems an odd solution to remove the thing that was polluted rather than trying to clean it up. Perhaps we should drain the oceans.

What else?

“We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.”

So they are embracing the pirate-ridden wasteland by only releasing free games into it? I’m not entirely sure I understand. Who wins in that situation? Not legitimate customers, that’s for sure, who it seems will miss out on the entire single player campaign of Future Soldier, with only Ghost Recon: Online to play. That’s not to say Ghost Recon: Online won’t be a good game – we’ll be writing about it very soon, having seen it and come away impressed. But the attitude as to why only a free game is possible on PC does rankle. It doesn’t help that we’ve had comments like this two days in a row, of course.

There’s a little more.

“I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform [Xbox] that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.”

You see, we don’t want super-Hollywood content on the PC, or sixty Euro’s worth of game. We just want the scraps. Except we also want the super-Hollywood content so much that we will steal it at the first possible opportunity.

I think I’ll play Serious Sam 3 for a while, obviously spending the whole time wishing that it was more Hollywood.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jack4cc says:

So, we have moved on, first there was the “Oh, let’s not spend more than five minutes optimizing stuff for pc” phase, now we’ve reached the “Oh, I’m too afraid to even try to make money” phase ?

2. DrSlek says:

…..and nothing of value was lost!

Seriously, at this point Ubisoft can leave the PC platform entirely and I doubt any PC gamers would actually care.

3. alilsneaky says:

Well fuck you too ubisoft.
    Downloading the revelations torrent as we speak for my 17yo little brother.

He said he was buying the game on his xbox, now he won’t have to :)

Also bought him just cause 2, ninja gaiden 2 and bayonetta last month to show him that there are other better games than this hold A to have the game played for you babies first videogame shit.

4. Xaromir says:

Statistics are all nice and well, but why would you count people that had no intend to buy the game in the first place, let’s not forget about Russia, Thailand, China etc, or people that buy it later on? I pirated World of Goo, but bought it at a later point, people may still say: It’s piracy, you are the devil! It’s not, according to the companies that usually talk about this as if it’s a witch hunt, usually those do it too but just call it post licensing and crap like that. Well point is: The percentage of people that actually would have bought it, but didn’t because it’s on Piratebay will be quite small in comparison. On the other hand i don’t doubt that kind of behavior is on the rise, i’m getting tempted more and more to do that myself, but mostly because of the crap publishers pull these days. One day my router broke and i had to wait 5 days for a new one – just bought freaking assassins creed 2 a view days earlier and that was after it was available on PB just FYI. Still FFFFFFFFUUUUUU!

5. Spiny says:

Rotters! I’ve bought every Ghost Recon. All of em! Guess I’ll keep giving my money to EA, CD Projekt, Bioware, Activision…

6. Shooop says:

This is why the industry can’t have nice things. Because they assume everyone will rob them of at least 46 times more money than what actually exists in the world.

CelticPixel says:

I have over 200 games, all legitimately purchased. Many games (including Ubisoft titles) I’ve purchased twice; First a boxed copy, then a digital copy from Steam after deciding to ‘go digital’. Some games, like the Dawn of War series, I’ve bought 3 times, because I bought a collected boxed set in between.

Typically, if I purchase a game off an indie dev’s website, then it goes onto Steam, I buy a second copy (Gemini Rue, Revenge of the Titan’s).

Sorry you don’t want my money Ubisoft. I guess I’ll just give it to one of your competitors instead.

8. Hyperion says:

I am about sick and tired of their obsession with piracy and other garbage when outlets like Steam, gamersgate, and GOG prove otherwise.

Next they’ll just move totally to consoles because “nobody can possibly pirate console games!”

There isnt anything that I can add that has been already said. If they are so worried about piracy then maybe they should just shut down completely and sell IP to other developers that would get stuff done. Piracy is something that really cant be stopped and even in ‘these harsh economic times’ people are still willing to buy games.

9. rocketman71 says:

Goddamned Ubi fuckers. This is the last fucking straw. Now I can’t even buy TM2 Valley when it is released because part of the money will go to your stupid cunt suits. Damn you, Nadeo. Damn you to hell. Why did you have to sell to such a bunch of douchebags?.

Ok, Ubi, this is war. This is never ever ever will buy a game from you. And that’s never ever ever not even trackmania. You can’t appreciate how FINAL that is.

And this is pestering all my console friends to make sure that they never ever ever buy any game from you. Not even Rayman.

Oh, god, I can’t even buy Beyond Good and Evil 2 if it’s ever released. See what you did, Ubi?.

FUCK YOU, BASTARDS.

10. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Wow. I always thought the DRM was because they were a bit stupid, had this problem and hadn’t thought it and possible ramifications though properly.

Turns out they actually do fucking hate us (me! they actually fucking hate me !).

Ok. I was going to post something else but now I’ve calmed down. Look, they do have this problem, with the piracy for one, and the pressure to release multi-platform (and the inherent temptation to just port) for two… And instead of maning up and tackling it like professionals it’s this lashing out in frustration. I mean jesus!

These people are supposed to be highly paid professionals working for massive multinational companies, in an industry worth quite a bit of money.

No THEY need to stop bitching and stop blame shifting! What, do they think we are stupid?

11. Captain Hijinx says:

It’s official, Ubisoft have gone off the deep end

12. dannyland1 says:

How empirical are piracy numbers? Everything I see seems to be based purely on speculation and no concrete data to back up their claims. Additionally, ending piracy isn’t going to help sales for media that’s garbage. The media industry has grossly underestimated the value of their customers time vs their money. I used to pirate, but if you look at my steam account with 251 games on it, I’m pretty sure I bought every good game I did pirate and at full price. If anything, pirating helps the industry. The games that are the most pirated usually have shitty sales, but that’s not because people who were going to buy it didn’t because they could get it for free, they pirated it because it was a piece of shit game and if anything, it generates exposure meaning more hype for the next shitty game they roll out.

13. LostViking says:

Brilliant, Ubisoft, I take my hat off to you.

First you introduce DRM-schemes so atrocious (yet so ineffective) that PC gamers are driven either to pirated versions of the game or to outright boycott any PC games from Ubisoft.
    Then you complain about the PC marked being dead, giving yourself a good reason to abandon the platform altogether.

Meanwhile other game companies (Valve, Bethesda, CD project and others) make millions off of PC games. I guess thepiratebay.org was down that day…

14. ZX k1cka55 48K says:

Most of the new UBI games are not even worth pirating, so who gives a fuck :/

I remember playing the shit out of original Ghost Recon back then (bought all 3 addons for it too). The game was amazing, so was the coop.
    Anyway, after seeing what become of Ghost Recon from last games, UBI will probably do us all a favor by not releasing it on PC.

15. evilhippo says:

As the article explains rather well, if pirating is so ubiquitous then explain why Steam is doing so well? And why companies like Bethesda (Fallout/Skyrim etc) and CD Projeckt (Witcher 2) are selling so many units for the PC?

I avoid have little time for Ubisoft because they are, for the most part, purveyors of sloppy crap. But anyone who condones pirating games is condoning thief, pure and simple. A pirate is a thief who belongs in jail like any other thief and the self serving justifications for pirating games should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

16. lamzor says:

ubisoft sure knows warez scene.
    do you remember when they used RELOADED crack as their fix for Fix Rainbox 6: Vegas 2?
    fun times, http://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-no-cd-answer-to-drm-080718/

• Saiko Kila says:

Maybe their vision of reality is skewed because all their friends are pirates, crackers, thieves and hoes. Scratch that, no hoes. Or they do suffer from old, plain paranoia (I’ve heard it’s treatable, by the way)

17. Drake Sigar says:

I never really believed Ubi actually hated us. Until now.

18. k37chup says:

If they didn’t choose ubisoft as publisher then there games wont be pirated.
    As always ubisoft can go f it self.

19. yrro says:

I can’t help but feel that the audience that Ubisoft games are aiming for is the problem here. I was a 14-year old boy once too, and I pirated everything. These days, I buy more games than I have time to play, and I remember the Ghost Recon series with great fondness. If the new GR game came was released on the PC with a co-op mode, it would be an instant sale for me, but Ubisoft seem determined to target the same demographic, rather than maturing with their original audience. Hence, no PC release and no sale.

20. MadTinkerer says:

Silly Ubisoft. Piracy hasn’t prevented us from buying the PC version of Future Soldier. You have. In fact, it wasn’t long ago you prevented me, a customer, from playing From Dust because of your anti-pirate paranoia. Pirates

Piracy doesn’t hurt you as bad as you think it does, and also worse than you think it does, because there is also a lot of console piracy. Pirates are not customers*, just ignore them unless you want to pull a Garry and play the occasional prank on them.

By the way, I own almost every pre-Uplay Ubisoft game, and am boycotting every post-UPlay Ubisoft game. Not pirating, boycotting altogether. Piracy hasn’t prevented us from buying the PC version of Future Soldier. You have.

*Except when they also are**, but I’m trying to keep things simple here.

**For example, I want to buy Megas XLR on DVD but can’t because of a rights dispute. When I can, I’ll buy it, and I’ll just have to be content with the pirate version in the meantime.

21. caddyB says:

I was so enraged by this turn of events I went to the pirate palace to show those Ubi bastards. Just as I was about to press the button to download ludicrous amounts of Ubi games, something inside me said:

“Don’t do it Caddy. It’s not worth it.”

So I closed the window and took a deep breath. It was a close call. But I’ve learned my lesson.
    Sometimes doing things just out of spite might prove other people’s points, gentlemen.

• Machinations says:

The correct action is not to buy Ubisoft games.

I can attest that Ubisoft’s petulant attitude has helped me decide not to buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution today.

Arvind says:

But Deus Ex : HR is an Eidos game!

• bleeters says:

Uhm. DE:HR has nothing to do with Ubisoft.

• sneetch says:

What is it with people’s inability to tell that Deus Ex (the recent one and the original ones) was published by Eidos/Square Enix and not Ubisoft?

• Machinations says:

Damn. It was three AM, thats my story.

That makes me feel better since I wanted to play HR.

22. rockman29 says:

I’ll buy a PC HD re-release of Rainbow Six 3 for a hundred dollars.

But Ubisoft is too effing stupid to make that.

23. yrro says:

The audience of Ubisoft games consists almost entirely of 14-year-old boys. If you told me that that audience is likely to pirate games rather than buy them then I would reply to you, NO SHIT!

I have been a fan of the Ghost Recon games for many years, and if this new game came out on the PC with co-op then it would be a snap purchase.

Once Ubisoft realise that they are pissing their money away in doing shoddy ports of games aimed at console-owning peasants, I will be here to resume buying their games. Until then, I have Ghost Recon, GRAW, ARMA 2 and Operation Flashpoint to complete!

24. Robin says:

When I buy a game from Valve or Bethesda I feel like a valued customer. When I think about buying a game from Ubisoft I feel like I’m considering plunging my arm into a blocked toilet. I don’t think pirates were involved in forming this perception.

• Emeraude says:

I keep saying this since Origin was released: the thing Valve has over the competition isn’t that they’re in a much better position as far as abusing their customers is concerned – they can do it whenever and however they want. Sometimes, they’re even worse than their competitors on some respects. What they have is well and long nurtured *trust* with their customers.

Not to mention the giant inertia that comes from their holding whole library of their customers… it will take some major wrong-doing on their part for people to feel like going against the hassle of leaving the service, but that another problem.

25. Shadram says:

As a PC gamer who hasn’t used any form of illegal software or media file in the last 17 years, I count myself as one of the highly offended 5%. Well, not really, since I wouldn’t have bought the game. Still, up yours, Ubisoft.

I just hope they don’t pull this shit with Beyond Good and Evil 2…

26. StevenM1988 says:

It’s kind of a shame that when a development studio makes the news for speaking out against PC pirates it’s generally UbiSoft, allowing a nice easy strawman for people to ‘argue’ against.

Videogame development can be expensive, and the means don’t always justify the ends – surprise, companies are set up to make a profit and people don’t like being gypped out of money, whether the man calculating his estimated losses (self-justified, of course) works at the gas station or the news site or the development studio. No, not all studios are like UbiSoft! (Some are like Steam or Mojang, with the kind of PR that makes Nintendo look like Microsoft.) But frankly this kind of fallacial, cherrypicking indignation does nothing but give them more ammunition to use against you in future PC porting/production snubs. You’re simply butting heads at this point.

You may suggest that piracy is incredibly difficult to quell, let alone quash (and this would be the closest thing you have to a justification, because any sensible person will take statements like ‘I’m downloading it to see if it’s worth buying’ with a handful of salt), but the same goes for avarice, and it’s clear which side has more financial/industrial weight to throw around.

(Perhaps a better payment method can be suggested, liberally borrowing from Kickstarter…?)

27. Asherie says:

I know someone who has recently bought a NEW xbox because the NEW chip that lets him play NEW pirated games stopped being supplied for his old xbox. He spent £££ to avoid paying £40 for a few new games he is interested in. SOME people will NEVER pay for games; pc, xbox, ps3, wii, whatever! It makes me sad :(

Side note: considering people definitely pirate current generation games, not just pc games. Are they gonna throw another hissy fit further down the line once said pirating becomes more easily accessible, and stop making games entirely? lol

28. Halkyon says:

The versions of GRAW and GRAW2 they adapted specifically for the PC (that me and friends bought for co-op) had some of the best shooting mechanics ever. The feel of the weapons, the ass-sliding at speed when going from sprint to crouch/prone made you feel like a boss.

It’s a shame their management’s attitude has turned to shit.

29. xxccvvmm says:

cccccccccccc

30. SketchyGalore says:

When this happens to mediocre Tom Clansy shoot-em-up #137 or post-apocalyptic survival #84, fine, whatever. When Ubisoft starts sale-blocking truly unique, good titles like Anno 2070 and Settlers 7 with their piracy paranoia, it’s a problem.

• coldvvvave says:

Care to provide links to those 83 Post Apocaliptic Survival games? Because I want one.

31. remoteDefecator says:

Ghost what: Future huh?

Oh shucky darn, I’m going to miss out on another derivative shooter.

32. daf says:

This kind of made me go look how much Hawx 2 sold on PC, as that is the only ubisoft game that I know of that doesn’t have a working pirate version… unfortunately vgchartz doesn’t seem to show any sales simply presenting a 0. Even more odd that seems to be the case with every ubisoft PC title… so one can’t really have any sort of guess to how much they’re making on the pc which is a shame.

Still I suppose one could conclude that the data is bad or alternatively that everyone who cared about ubisoft games has moved on to getting them on the console instead of waiting for the always late pc release and/or insane drm (even if less insane as of late), it’s still a shame has ubisoft once made allot of my favorite game series but each iteration they seem to further pushes them away from the things I liked about them in the first place.

Oh well, I’ll guess I’ll just have make do with my big virtual pile of to-be-played games i bought on steam… i mean downloaded of pirate bay, silly me…

33. Pinky09 says:

I don’t understand this… If 95% of pc gamers will not buy an Ubisoft game, then why are Ubisoft releasing the latest AssCreed on pc???? this insanity is too much…

34. antisocialbratt says:

Considering that everyone who download games from torrents is a pirate is not correct IMO. Even i download some games if they come online before they come in my local shop. But later when they do come i buy them. I just download them early coz i can’t wait for 4 or 5 days more. ;)

35. KaL_YoshiKa says:

We get it Ubisoft, you hate PC gamers, you spend every other press release saying how much you hate dirty filthy PC pirates. I mean sure maybe all that treating your paying customers like dirty filthy pirates and then telling them they’re filthy dirty pirates who don’t even deserve to give them money, well maybe things would be different.

But seriously at this point, just get lost Ubisoft, PC gamers don’t want you any more.

36. Aximili55 says:

And people don’t pirate Console Games? Ubisoft just bite the hand that feeds it. Without PC Gamers, there probably wouldn’t be a Ubisoft.

RobF says:

@LeBonPainFrancais

You sorta lost me at “gentle DRM” y’know?

Anyway, all this reminds me of a chat I was having with a developer a few years back. Bless his cotton socks, he was absolutely convinced that pirates were stealing from him. Not from the company but from him.

Slightly surprised that someone clicking a link somewhere and downloading some data could effect him in such a manner, I asked how was this the case. I expected, to be honest, a “it’s my hard work, they’re taking my hard work” at which point I’d have probably nodded and said “ok, I can see how that’s especially offensive to you regardless of whether I believe piracy is the ultimate evil or not” or words to that effect.

But no, he responded that the pirates were taking his bonus. Because of these people pirating the game, these people who were actually stealing money from his table in real life by pirating the game, he would not be getting paid his bonus.

I found this odd. I pushed it a little further and his bonus was sales based and look at all these people torrenting the game! LOOK AT THEM! So when the game didn’t sell adequate amounts for the pay out, him and a few others looked at the amount of people pirating the game, rationalised that if % of people bought the game, the bonus would have been paid out. No doubt about it with that mindset eased in by the corporate structure itself that paid out said bonuses.

So in his head, he came to the conclusion that pirates were really stealing money from him and if they’d just stop and buy the game, he’d have been able to eat well that month. Ergo, we must stop the pirates. Now.

That whilst his bonus never emerged, his superiors were still rolling up in their fast cars every day. That they were still nipping off on expensive holidays to indulge in their hobbies and quite clearly and visibly not suffering from the same “game not selling” issues he was, well, that didn’t register did it?

That it’s those people who chose to set the bonus structure in the first place yet remained unaffected by the pirates themselves to any discernible degree, well, yeah. That couldn’t be a thing. It had to be the pirates.

It’s one of those conversations that stuck in my mind because it made me realise how fucked some corporate dev structures can be when it comes to piracy. That it’s a great evil and it’s the pirates taking money from the devs can be and clearly in some places is instilled at a corporate level so that it’s business as usual and perfectly normal. Just don’t look over there at us in our fast cars, alright? it’s not us, it’s them.

Given the solid line of 95%, PC piracy, great evil coming from Ubi over the past week, it’s clear that at least in certain studios this is an issue that’s pushed not on a personal level but on a corporate one too. I’m mildly offended as someone who buys games and someone who writes games to be accused of being little more than a filthy scummer from people speaking on behalf of Ubi-devs but behind this, there’s likely something far more insidious because people don’t just jump to these random conclusions off their own backs, right? At least, not everyone tows the same line with such similar stats off their own back.

38. BoZo says:

Occupy Ubisoft?

39. Trapdaar says:

95% Piracy rate for the PC is kinda low.

98-99% piracy rate is more like it!

40. CalleX says:

Let them lose the market, who cares about these idiots anyways.

41. Ovno says:

We are the 5%?

42. remover says:

There is zero conclusive evidence to suggest that piracy hurts their bottom line.

It’s a little different with games say vs music or something, but all the whiners act as if it’s actually hurting them and it’s probably helping them.

If people spent the time they spent fighting piracy, whether it be through developing new DRM or hiring legal teams to prosecute people through creative means… and put it towards innovating new ways of selling things or making better products, the return on their investment would be much greater.

I also contend that piracy is less about getting something for nothing, and often more about convenience.

43. Joe Duck says:

I am later to the comments thread, and I am afraid many of my opinions have already been expressed above, but I might want also to point out Some points that seem to me they have been lost:

First, pirates and pirated games have a particular dynamic that is usually not mentioned and that is the list effect.
    A pirate goes into a torrent site and looks at the new torrents list in order to select what he/she wants. And there, something particular happens. He/she is usually going to download EVERYTHING or very nearly so.
    Why? Because it is free and has no perceived cost. As a result, a pirate will tend to own very big and very full hard disks and he/she will find that he/she cannot play every game, not even a small percentage of what he/she has been downloading. He/she, as most of us, is also interested in games so is also subject to the same publicity and marketing campaigns that companies do in order to spend more than half of their budget. So he/she will install the most hyped games and try them for a while. Day one COD: MW3 and all that. But he/she will not be able to keep at them, because the next day, there will be more new stuff to download and new shit to try. Most pirates are not really gamers, they are hoarders. And they would never, ever buy a game in a shop. Because that is not what they are into, they are into having everything and consuming it fast. It does not matter that it is games, movies or music, they get it all. They have versions of Windows 7 from the home to the ultimate, they have all the releases of Microsoft Office, Photoshop… but they will never use them, it is just for “if the case comes where they need it or want it”.
    Now, to consider these people as sales lost is absolutely ludicrous, as they would never pay attention to your game, even if it has a perfect DRM, because there’s just so much other shit to download and play. They’ll just wait a week and pirate it when it comes.
    On the piracy issue, I’d also like to point out that there are two parties that have a vested interest in keeping piracy alive as a threat and that will lobby the publishers and developers to convince them about how much money they are losing. Obviously the first one are console manufacturers and the second one are DRM developers. Both will strive to sell this image of the world where PC gaming is rife with piracy and consoles are pristine. I think that the reality is much more complex and that we simply do not know how much money is being lost and by who.

Second, as far as I am concerned, Ubisoft is basically doing us all a favour. The last thing we need right now is yet another AAA title for PC and even less if it is a mediocre “realistic modern” FPS and a huge amount of DRM. We have too many games and too much noise in the PC space as it is right now. For the pirates it is even worse than for legal users and god knows I have 187 games in my Steam library and feel guilty about not playing more than half. If 6 or 7 companies decided to do the same, we could have more space for the Project Zomboids, the Metro 2033s and the Portal 2s of the world. This is a pure consumer argument, I know that in principle, a market with more companies and more games is a healthier market but on the other hand, there is something to be said about overdoses, genre saturation and about how thin a slice of the pie can get before it simply is not worth it anymore. How many MMOs are we going to have next year?
    How many are worth our time? Is a market with 10 fantasy based F2P MMO less healthy than one with 15? Why?

And third, I am completely convinced that Ubisoft is using the wrong tools in their decision making process. The PC games business has changed significantly with Steam and now games have much, much longer lives as saleable products. I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind believes than a Ubisoft game sold in a steam sale is going to gross just 50000 copies (this number comes from the “I am alive” discussion). 50k are indie games numbers, not AAA numbers. Games like “Chuthulu saves the world” have sold more than that (and that is awesome). If UbiSoft’s numbers show those kind of sales projections, then they are using the wrong numbers.
    Using Steam well, a good game will sell for a long, long time. And will make a lot of money during sales and it will create value when sold in bundles and it will increase your sales for the subsequent game in the same series. Valve do it, but many others do the same too. And if I start talking DLC, well…
    So they are underestimating income by not counting the long life of the game on shelves and cutting themselves off and DLC they would sell. They are also increasing costs by deciding to include DRM and on top of that they are still deciding to spend a ton on top of another ton of money in TV ads and E3 booths to promote games.
    And of course, the numbers do not add up.
    This is not rocket science, maybe two years ago you would have needed a visionary pioneer to use all these techniques and tools, but today it’s easy to see what people like Valve is doing to give their games a long tail or what people like the guys from Magika or Dungeon defenders are doing with DLC. And for selling a game without TV ads, well, you could send a mail to Notch and ask him. He’ll probably just send you back a link to youtube.

44. Talorc says:

someone who pirates your game is not a consumer. Ignore them and concentrate on producing a product for the people who do pay for your game, being your actual consumer.

For an advanced class – see if you can figure out a way to make some of the people who play the game without playing into consumers

45. KingJason13 says:

I’ve only ever used “Pirating” to demo games I was thinking of buying. Truth is: I don’t feel like parting with 60 quid only to discover the product is shiite and not at all what I thought it was going to be.

In this age of console ports, massive bugs, beta releases masquerading as finished product, overhyped marketing, et. al., the consumer needs a chance to have some hands on before purchasing.

And I have a feeling that 95% of Ubisoft’s “95%” are doing just that. ; )

46. j1yeon says:

I’m just pissed because Future Soldier is a title I was REALLY looking forward to, and playing co-op with a friend of mine. Now… what? Playing on console just isn’t the same experience.

I kind of figured this would happen after I played a bit of the Ghost Recon Online beta. It looked like they were using some parts of the multiplayer system that had been developed for Future Soldier.

47. Onaka says:

I love how Ubisoft is making this self-fulfilling prophecy. If you treat your enemies customers like assholes and thieves, maybe they’ll start resenting you and will go out of their way to be dicks to you. I sure as hell won’t buy anything from a developer that is openly calling me a thief. Hell, I suddenly want to mod my Xbox just so I can pirate Future Soldier, a game I had no intention of playing before now. Wonder where that urge came from? Couldn’t have been that barrage of insults from Ubisoft. I must just be hardwired to be a filthy pirate thief.

48. Daryl says:

Meh, this song and dance is old. Just spend your money elsewhere. I’ll never put money down for an Ubisoft title again.