Proto-Adventure: Pahelika Revelations Demo

By John Walker on November 24th, 2011 at 10:56 am.

Pathetica more like. AHAHAHA!

I have a theory. If you took some babies, raised them isolation – perhaps on the Moon – and gave them no cultural input at all, they’d still eventually develop adventure games. They’re like an inevitability, an unavoidable direction for things to head toward. Don’t believe me? Look what’s happening to the so-called casual market, as every game type starts morphing into proto-adventuring. You can’t get a match-3 these days without it trying to include an inventory. Hell, look at the painfully mediocre L.A. Noire, and its almost sweet attempts to invent the graphic adventure genre as if it had never happened in the 80s/90s, thus making all the same tiresome mistakes as they did in their earlier days. As for the hidden object genre – it’s like a pupa, waiting to emerge. Unfortunately, some of those attempts to convert to a beautiful butterfly are still a little, well, awkward. They’re moths. One such moth is Pahelika Revelations.

The sequel to another game, apparently, that this episode harks back to a little too much when asking $15 for the privilege. But fortunately there’s a demo that offers about half an hour of this peculiar primordial adventure ooze. Presented like a hidden object game, but in fact an inventory-based adventure, it really does feel as though someone looked at hidden object gaming and thought, “You know, if I just tweaked this and this, then…”, once again as if 1988 to 1998 never occurred. So you click in an arbitrary fashion, trying to find that which can be removed from the screen, and then click that on other things.

Rather than tell a story, instead it just sort of has a story, that occasionally flops down from above. In between you try to fathom what it wants you to do not by its prompting, or in order to progress through a path, but merely because there is a thing there to do. You try to get the electricity to work in a house because there’s a box that can power the electricity. You create a spell in a cauldron because you’ve found a spell, some ingredients, and a cauldron. Why you’re casting that spell, what lies on the other side of a locked door, apparently isn’t important. It’s like being a creature that can only know its immediate present, with no concept of past or future.

Yet, solving puzzles is rewarding, so that reward feedback kept me going through until it made me stop playing. I didn’t enjoy any of it, but yet I clicked. However, there are some really bloody silly mistakes. Getting the electricity on, for instance, inevitably involves a pipe puzzle, with your rearranging tiles to get electricity to flow from one point to another. Except, astonishingly, it will generate impossible puzzles. Seemingly redrawing the arrangement of the puzzle each time you open it, tiles that block your progress are randomly distributed. Such that the first time I tried it, it was literally impossible to complete. But being the first time I’d seen it, I was left bemused by what I was supposed to do. Only returning to it later out of frustration did I discover how idiotic it really was. And crappy sentences like,

“This alarm clock is in a obvious need of repairs.”

Don’t endear me at all.

So all in all, it’s rubbish. But it’s interesting. Because it’s like adventure games, despite existing just fine in the specialist world, are trying to burst out in the mainstream, constrained by an ignorance of the genre and stunted development. But their inevitability seems certain.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. rustybroomhandle says:

You know what else is chock full of puzzles? Skyrim.

• Jumwa says:

Friends and I had a discussion the other day:

If you took all the hostile NPCs and fighting out of Skyrim, and just left it a game about exploring, crafting and solving puzzles, it’d be one hell of a game. Truly. Hell of a game, I’m sure. Considering my favourite moments with it have just been wandering around, exploring and finding neat little puzzles, I’m not even sure what taking combat out of it would lose for me.

• felisc says:

Puzzles ? I haven’t encountered any?! do you mean those claws doors with hawk/snake stones ?

• Stuart Walton says:

Puzzles? Like finding the best route through a dungeon that lets me backstab all the occupants and making sure Pack Mule Lydia doesn’t give me away?

• rustybroomhandle says:

The puzzles are more of the ‘find the crib notes’ variety, but there are a few mechanical puzzles. And any inventory puzzles there might be are given away by the quest markers.

• Snargelfargen says:

If you go to the right dungeons, there are quite a few mechanical puzzles. Some are a little… basic, but they do lend a very Indian Jones-esque vibe to the exploration.
      I bet you could make some amazing puzzle scenarios using the construction set, especially since there are a lot of scripted examples of how to make it work in the game already.
      Argh, I want the construction set more than I ever wanted the game.

2. Gwynor says:

I think this take on adventure games sounds a bit harsh. It’s like saying that reading a book is boring and pointless because you only turn pages, without shooting or jumping or leveling up. Some people like stories, interactive or not. LA Noire is in my opinion a labor of love and passion for a genre and an era, and in 6 months people will be able to pick it up for less that 10 € (less than a Blu-Ray).

• sonofsanta says:

I think you underestimate how deep Mr Walker’s abiding love for adventure games runs, and any criticism of these new born attempts at reviving the genre are simply the constructive chastisement of a caring parent trying to encourage them to be the best they can be.

Or maybe Mrs Walker doesn’t let him like adventure games any more and you’re completely right. I am but a random voice on the internet attempting to second guess another man’s thoughts; how could I possibly know?

3. Jahkaivah says:

I for one would love to see what the moon baby adventure game sub-genre has to offer.

4. deadbob says:

It surprised me how much the latest MCF game 13 skulls, seems to have moved to a point and click adventure from the 90′s with FMV characters, item puzzles etc. Not that I got it for myself, mind, the girlfriend loves them….. honest……..

5. GetEveryone says:

*goes back to playing Another World on iPhone*

• bill says:

Ooooh. Is that on Android?

Actually, there seem to be very few “professional” games on android… *sad face*

6. Trapdaar says:

7. bill says:

I’m playing Machinarium now, and I can’t help but wish it’d stayed a bit more Samarost, and not become such an adventure game. Having inventories and traipsing back and forwards between screens doesn’t seem to have added anything…