Entrenched: Gratuitous Tank Battles Diary

By Andrew Smee on November 25th, 2011 at 12:08 pm.

What, go over that lovely green tuft of grass in this giant tank? Not a chance, it'd ruin the azaleas

The lovely Cliffski has put up a new developer diary detailing the forthcoming Gratuitous Tank Battles, this time talking about what exactly Gratuitous Tank Battles is. Which appears to be a blend of the sensibilities of previous fleet commander sim Gratuitous Space Battles with the pathfinding of a tower defence game. No, quiet in the back there, settle down. It isn’t your typical tower defence game, see. Let Uncle Cliffski explain.

There there, all better now. As Cliffski sums up at the end, it’s an “asynchronous tower defence game with customisable units and a built-in map editor where you can play either side and spans World War 1 up to the future with mechs and lasers.” If there was anywhere to go after Gratuitous Space Battles, this is definitely it.

That customisation looks to be acheingly deep, too. I had flashes of Alpha Centurai’s unit designer when presented at the customisation screen at 1:54, only even more complicated. Mmm, delicious complication. Endless amounts of drop-down boxes and custom features to fiddle with on my tanks, that’s exactly what I want.

There’s footage of the map editor at 3:18 and it looks like a breeze to create your own little roads of death. Like Gratuitous Space Battles before it, you’ll be able to post your creations on the internet to challenge all comers, or download other armies and blow apart their inevitably eye watering colour schemes. I don’t know about you, but I like my fashion sense to be delivered at the barrel of a gun.

You can follow development progress of Gratuitous Tank Battles over at Cliffski’s blog.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Joe Duck says:

Looks awesome, I am very interested. I cannot recall any tower defence game that has done a map editor with a touch of social gaming before.

2. pacificator says:

I see a lightsaber on his desk. I always suspected that he was actually a jedi.

3. Uglycat says:

I loved Warzone

4. neems says:

SOLD!

If you’re reading this Cliffski (I know you’re an RPS regular), any idea on a release window? Or even some kind of pre-order play the beta style incentive? I can’t wait.

• cliffski says:

Hopefully releasing in january / february, although that depends on feedback from a beta, which will likely be another pre-order to get beta access thing.

• Gnoupi says:

And since we have you here, niche price, or impulse price? (I know, silly question given the passive and previous experiments, but you never know :P)

• neems says:

Thank you for replying, you’re a gent.

5. bitbot says:

This looks really great. I just wish GSB was cheaper because I’d like to try that as well, and I know it’s on sale now but €10 is still too much for an impulse buy… I mean, Orcs Must Die was €4, that was a price I couldn’t resist! :)

• mondomau says:

If it’s really too much for you to afford, just hang on until the Steam xmas sale craziness – very good chance you can get the complete set for a bit less…

6. Toby says:

This looks great! I never really quite got into GSB but this looks like something I would love. Being a fan of tower defense games this looks like one to watch.

7. Sassenach says:

Can I just say that I thought GSB seemed like a game I really should have liked a lot, but didn’t. I never felt I knew what a given build was missing. I’m sure there was a science to it, it just eluded me, which is odd because I quite like working out systems.

8. BathroomCitizen says:

Me likes the setting of GTB!