Introversion Drop “Treasure Hunt” Clue

By Jim Rossignol on November 25th, 2011 at 7:05 pm.

Hmm! Introversion are up to something. They’ve sent us a mysterious image, which you can see below. They tell us it is part of some kind of treasure hunt thing. PCG have the first image. The email from Introversion reads: “The clues are all from Introversion’s next game Prison Architect, and showcase Ryan Sumo’s amazing art. Some of the clues are buried in the Humble Introversion Bundle.”

Intrigue-o-tron!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

A chap pointed this out in a comment on the bundle article. He found a picture on the side of a building in the city generator. Looked like it was of a murdered couple so fits in with this picture, telling the story of a particular death row inmate?

• The Tupper says:

Yeah that was lastMagi. I’ve just discovered his spooky foresight while looking back at the week’s articles.

• lastMagi says:

Ah interesting, well that makes a whole lot more sense then. Here’s the link again if anyone is piecing this together. Another commenter below found two images, one of which is the same picture I have here. Oddly though, the 4 letters at the bottom are different, and mine is missing the “2 of 5″.

2. sonofsanta says:

Obviously I am a terrible person, judging by my first thought upon seeing that image. A terrible, terrible person.

Or maybe it’s the Catholic Church that’s so terrible for planting the idea in my head in the first place. Still. Eurgh.

3. Xocrates says:

By the way, there’s a thread in the introversion forums with the known info:

4. D says:

From these two images, I’m ready to guess it was the preacher with the gun in the cellroom. Easy.

5. The Tupper says:

They are cellmates. The priest being what I believe is known as the ‘top’.

6. The Tupper says:

Since I had little interest in the game, I refrained from comment during the treasure hunt surrounding Portal 2 (potato sack I think it was called?), but I’d have thought that the meagre results from that PR exercise would have made people wary of investing too much inquiry in similar ventures.

• Xocrates says:

You do realize that people don’t go into these things for a (often inexistent) reward at the end, right?

Heck people worked on Portal’s without knowing there would be a reward.

It’s all about the thrill of the hunt.

• Dachannien says:

The Potato Sack event was flawed in a much different way: it provided a pitiful reward for people spending inordinate amounts of time just playing games, and at the end, it wasn’t even clear that the early release of Portal 2 was even really tied to people’s efforts in the event.

But aside from that fiasco, Valve’s alternate reality stuff has always been pretty popular, even when the only reward was a product announcement.

• elfbarf says:

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but if you earned every single golden potato you received a permanent icon on your profile as well as the entire Valve Complete Pack (which included a copy of Portal 2 and gave you a gift copy for every game you already owned). Unfortunately, Steam trading hadn’t been introduced yet so I ended up giving away most of it for free (it made me feel nice at least).

• The Tupper says:

Introversion are one of the most interesting and deserving software companies in the world and I make no judgment on this particular campaign (which is, after all, at the earliest stages).

I watched the Potato Sack from the sidelines, however, and could scarcely believe that Valve had managed to lever members of its dedicated fanbase into spending time and money in order to be allowed to purchase a product from them 12-24 hours early (if memory serves). If the game was ready to be released, surely it should have been released? And I may be wrong about this (it makes no difference to my main point), but I don’t think the game in the event was released any earlier than originally intended?

I love Valve software – I’m an uncomplaining user of Steam and fan of their in-house products, but I think that had Microsoft or Apple attempted something similar we would all be waving flaming torches.

Anyhow. Apologies for venting, but (as I say) I deliberately avoided comment on the Potato Sack because I didn’t have a particular interest in its outcome. I’m very interested in anything Introversion Software come up with.

• Xocrates says:

@tupper: The game ended up being released some 8 hours ahead of schedule and I believe that was more or less the expected outcome.

That said, valve admitted later that the pre-release event was supposed to start about 24 hours before release, not the 3 or so days it ended up being, but the period was extended because they felt that plenty of people wouldn’t have time to participate otherwise.
      They have admitted that that was a mistake.

• Wulf says:

What Xocrates said, entirely that. Sometimes it’s just the thrill of the chase, for knowledge, for understanding, for the fulfilment of having solved a mystery. When presented with a true mystery, if you need anything more than that, then you’re doing it wrong.

7. The_B says:

Just to mention – I found clues 2 and 5 in the tech demos from the Humble Bundle and stuck them up here.

8. Tams80 says:

Probably a bit late here, but you can see the gun from the PCG image to the right of the first image lastMagi posted. The prisoner in this picture looks like the guy looking over the bed in the picture lastMagi posted.

9. stx says: