Occult Dealings: Cabals – The Card Game

By Adam Smith on November 25th, 2011 at 2:47 pm.

I really wish this artwork heralded a post about an adventure game. It doesn't.

It’s been a long time since I played a collectible card game of any sort. I’ve always meant to play Mythos or the Cthulhu CCG because I enjoy being driven mad by unimaginable and blasphemous horrors, but I’ve never quite found the time. I have spent a little while playing Cabals though, which is free and has an occult theme. You can spend actual money to improve your deck but it’s also possible to earn better cards by playing. Fantastically earnest trailer below.

Those sure are some odd folk and I’m fairly sure I heard ‘assoteric’, which was, quite pathetically, enough to make me chuckle to myself. I do like the art style though and for some reason the use of a board makes this somehow more gripping. I reckon I’m either going to be addicted to it by the end of the month or I’ll have all but forgotten it exists. It is coming to iOS and Android, and will apparently support cross-platform play, which should hopefully ensure a healthy playerbase.

I do want to get into a new CCG, preferably computer-based. The only one I’ve spent a great deal of time and money on is Spellfire. I was at school then and even the kids who played Magic: The Gathering poured scorn on me and my pals as we attempted to hide in the science labs hurling clerics at one another.

I once swapped my best card to borrow a copy of Duke Nukem 3D. Innocent times. I just had a bout of anxiety, fearing that it may now be worth hundreds of pounds. Apparently, it’s valued at $1.25. HA.

Via Indiegamer.

, , , , .

1. Lobotomist says:

Absolutely amazing art direction and writing.

I would love to play this game as RPG.

But card game is good aswell ;)

Rhygadon says:

Interesting imagery, and I appreciate the attempt to mix up the usual faction archetypes. But since you’ve played it … any chance you could tell us a bit about how it plays?

• Adam Smith says:

That would be helpful, wouldn’t it? I’ve only had the briefest dabble though and I’m so out of date with these CCG things I wouldn’t be able to drop in useful references. Best bet is to look at the tutorial – ’tis all free and doesn’t even need a download.

3. Calneon says:

Similar art style to Braid, wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same artist.

4. armaankhan says:

I love the art style and premise/setting, but I really couldn’t get into the game itself. Nothing wrong mechanically with it, but it’s definitely designed for touch-devices in mind. You have to do all sorts of extra clicking to get card descriptions, and the downloadable version doesn’t use the PC’s screen very effectively (the game window is the same aspect ratio as a handheld device and doesn’t take advantage of the wider aspect a PC provides). The timing of the animations (it’s just tokens sliding around a game board, nothing fancy) is also too slow, making the game feel like it’s slow and plodding.

I’ll probably try it again in a few months though, if I have room in my gaming schedule.

5. salejemaster says:

I’ve been playing this since yesterday when I saw it on the indiegames blog, its really addictive and fun….I want to play more :D

6. malkav11 says:

Oh dear, Spellfire. I had some myself, but it was really just an excuse to look at D&D art, what with there being almost no game design and certainly no consideration for balance.

7. Lurpsukka says:

Seems like a pretty decent card game with maneuverability to keep in mind. Played few games against the AI and I was totally lost during the first game but soon after that I catched the games meaning and soon after kicked its butt! Now where are all the human players..

8. Sergey Galyonkin says:

Cabals briefly appeared on AppStore and then got pulled :( Playing on PC then

jrodman says:

Buh, some real gaffes in the interface here. Clicking on some cards then a piece on the board uses the card, while clicking on other cards requires additional steps, such as clicking on a portrait, then the board. Sometimes you have to click on your own name after clicking on a card, while sometimes you have to click on the enemy hero’s name. It all leads to a fair amount of accidental card use and frustrations using cards.

The rules aren’t explained anywhere. How many cards can I place on my base? Why can i move and use an attack ability but not move and then attack? Why can’t i read the cards of my opponent when they’re out on the table sometimes, but sometimes I can? Where am I supposed to click to activate stuff? What does gaining a level get me?

There’s a FAQ but it’s mostly a sales pitch. The forum is starting to gather answers to some of this, but it should be either fixed in the interface in the first place, or explained in the tutorial.

I mean, I can’t complain about the price, but the experience really could use a tune-up.

• sightseemc says:

Cannot agree with you more. The tutorial tells what things do but not *HOW* to make them do it. I spent 10 frustrating minutes trying to play the single player without seeing a simple explanation of how to exhaust/tap a card in play, or what to do. Probably a great game, but I’ll never know.

10. Jii says:

Cabals seems to be pretty good game. I like the depth of it. The whole thing became quite hooking when I started to edit my deck. The art looks also really good. Better than most of the card games I have played before.

For those who need tutorial: http://www.cabalsgame.com/how_to_play.php

11. Cabals says:

Hello,
    I would like to introduce myself, I’m the developer of Cabals.
    You might want to take a look at our latest news:

1) We halved all the prices based on customer feedback
    [When we launched Cabals: The Card Game we announced that we were dedicated to building the best TCG gaming community with you. The pricing discussion has been ongoing and we've been following it extremely closely. Based on the customer feedback, we've made major change to the pricing of Cabals: The Card Game - all influence prices are reduced by at least 50%...]

2) We made an open announcement about our future plans
    [Since we as gamers generally appreciate ever increasing amount of content and features, I would like to shed some light on the things that we have planned for the future...]

It’s entirely up to you, if you choose Cabals, we’re there for you.

Cheers!