OnLive Silly Sale: Arkham 2, Saints 3 For £1

By Alec Meer on November 25th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

Non-steamy windows

Cloud gaming service OnLive is banging its drum for new members in the UK again, so they’re reactivated their remarkable £1 offer (which they’re surely making a massive loss on – they must have ton of marketing money stored up). Your first purchase after joining currently costs just 100 pennies, and that includes the likes of Batman: Arkham City, Saints Row 3, LA Noire, Lord of the Rings: War In The North and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. All PC versions, but tweaked for OnLive – which in Arkham’s case means no GFWL. Woo! OnLive has its issues, but I really rather like it – I’ve played quite a lot through it now, and while the experience differs from game to game for a lot of titles on a decent ISP the experience is pretty incredible. Especially if you have the microconsole thingy and are sat back on a sofa – with your face stuffed directly into a monitor the cracks are that much more visible.

Oh, and if you already have an OnLive UK account, that doesn’t stop you from creating a new one purely to nab a game for £1. Repeatedly, in fact – you just need a different email address every time. Snicker.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Carr0t says:

So if you buy these games for £1 you can’t download them to play locally? You have to play them on the OnLive service even if you later upgrade to a PC capable of running them?

• rvdleun says:

That’s pretty much how it works, yeah. No option to download the game locally.

Steam and OnLive should merge. It’d be grand.

• Boozebeard says:

To be honest once this whole cloud gaming picks up a bit more momentum and our network infrastructures improve I would be surprised if steam and other digital distributors didn’t start offering the same service for a monthly fee but still with the ability to download the game locally as well. It would be pretty grand, you could play with all the trimmings at home on your desktop have your saves stored on the cloud and continue playing when you were away from home on your not so great laptop via the cloud.

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, why would south america ever want to play videogames? Or any other non-first world country, for that matter.
      They need food first, or something to hunt their chickens, right?

Cynicism aside, im quite scared this will take off earlier than most countries will be able to catch up with.

maninahat says:

Games are already too expensive in developing countries – hence why pirating is the default option. In Malaysia, entire stores are devoted to fake DVDs. In India, you can even buy counterfeit copies of Harry Potter (books are expensive too).

If Cloud networks let people play games for much cheaper, than that can only be of benefit to developing nations. Sure, you need good enough internet infrastructure, but that still works out cheaper overall than requiring millions of people to hand over a small fortune for hard copies.

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

stupidheads, why are they not available in germany?

well, at least this way I’m not biting my ass for pre-ordering Batman. I am, actually, but ok.

• Syra says:

I would love to know how you are managing to bite your own ass.

Unless you are a farmer, in which case, PETA will have words with you shortly.

3. Flukie says:

That is an amazing deal, however if you actually want to play this and are on a Virgin line like myself then don’t expect to play when you get home from work, mornings and very late nights. Peak times is out honestly though, uses bandwidth in seconds.

• thegrieve says:

On a virgin line here, 50Mb – play all the time no issue, no delays. In fact, I normally have bittorrent and tv streaming services going simultaneously.

Even managed to get 2 of us on onlive on the same line, but saints rows coop is borked so had to get refunds.

• Boozebeard says:

That’s because the 50mb and 100mb services are the only ones that aren’t throttled. I honestly wouldn’t touch virgin if I wasn’t on one of those packages.

• Syra says:

30mb seems to work fine too, I’m switching down to 10 soon though as I don’t need this much…

I guess I will just buy a couple of games I’m slightly interested in and won’t ever play again (DXHR, splinter cell, random shooters)… for a quid it’s worth a shot.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m on 10mb Virgin and you will not be able to play Onlive on it. Unless it’s past midnight. You will, as already mentioned, hit your limit using Onlive in about 20 minutes. It’s really rather pathetic.

• Megadyptes says:

You don’t have to wait ’till midnight. The throttling times are 10am-3pm and 4pm-9pm. It’s still fucking annoying and a number of times I’ve accidentally gone over the limit, usually because Steam is downloading a huge patch for something and I don’t notice. UK internet infrastructure is terrible.

4. WolVenom says:

Damn, too bad its not released for the rest of europe.

And If they can remove GFWL for OnLive why not do the same for Steam?

• Syra says:

Valve do the very bare minimum to support non valve games?

Also GFWL is a service platform, if the publisher has a deal with MS for retail copies that’s just how it’s gonna be, can’t exclude one DRM if you have to use the other.

5. rvdleun says:

This is how I got my hands on Deus Ex 3, a game that I had really wanted to play since it came out, but didn’t have the finances back then. And I have to admit that I also got a subscription to the PlayBack bundle, seeing as how Fallout 1 was recently added there.

Overall, I am still surprised with how well OnLive works. The FPS isn’t entirely perfect yet, but it’s getting there. But being able to play all these games on my Mac is just fantastic, and the ability to just boot a game without installing anything is pretty mind boggling at times. I’m still hoping that they will release a linux version of their client at some point, I’d love to play some of these games on my netbook as well.

• Syra says:

Yes booting without install or lengthy download (OHHAIRAGEONSTEAM) is quite a novelty. I can see myself being hooked.

• Richie Shoemaker says:

Playing Space Marine on a 3-yr old netbook that I wouldn’t normally even play solitaire on (it’s not great for youtube either) is pretty damn impressive. Would I hunch over a 8-inch screen for a full SP campaign – of course not. Still can’t help but be impressed through.

6. sleep_crime says:

Never thought I’d say this, but I’d rather pay 60 bucks for a game I own than 1 for a game I don’t.

• Gnoupi says:

Saints Row 3 is a Steamworks game. Either way, you don’t actually own it like you would “own” a physical disc from years ago.
      I have more faith in Steam outlasting OnLive than the opposite, but in both cases, if their servers go down, you can’t install and play your game anymore.

So it could be mostly the same thing.

(But I get your point)

• Boozebeard says:

I’m pretty sure it’s been said that if steam was ever to go down they would allow everyone to download all their games with the steam DRM removed/deactivated.

• Kaira- says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen source for those silly “Steam DRM will be deactivated”-claims.

• Iain_1986 says:

And its always also been pointed out that legally Steam don’t have to do that, and there is no guarantee at all anywhere that they will.

• Boozebeard says:

Okay, so they may not have said precisely that they will deactivate the DRM but they have said

“In the unlikely event of the discontinuation of the Steam network, measures are in place to ensure that all users continue to have have access to their Steam games.”

I for one have no reason not to put my faith in Valve and Steam.

Hidden_7 says:

Also it’s worth noting that Steam actually gives you the game files, and has a pretty simple process to let you back them up on a disc. If Steam ever went down, it’d only require the effort to crack your games to get them to run without Steam, which is a far simpler proposition than if OnLive went down, where you would have to source entire pirated copies for every game.

• Kaira- says:

I will trust this random man claiming having contacted Steam and giving this information to him. [/sarcasm]

• datom says:

Probably the best example of Steam’s future proofing is how pre-Leopard Mac users and PowerPc users can run PowerPC games they’ve bought on Steam, even though Steam doesn’t support anything other than Intel Leopard or above.

Oh no. Wait. That’s not right.

If you have a Mac of OS-less-than-Steam’s-currently-supported-level, you can’t play the games, whearas if you bought them from GamersGate and downloaded the installer you could. Indeed, you can’t actually download the files, because the Client won’t run.

But I’m sure this won’t happen with Windows – I bet XP compatability will stay around forever, and that games that don’t run on future versions of Windows will be updated automatically by Steam to make sure they run on new OSes 5 years down the track. So no worries there then.

Steam may still exist. But I wouldn’t be so sure that you’ll be able to play XP- and Windows 7-games you bought from them without resorting to cracking them.

• sinister agent says:

I’m prepared to believe that the current heads of Valve/Steam intend to make everything on steam available should Steam be taken down. I’m not, however, going to assume that the same attitudes will always prevail, nor that even if they do, that they’ll actually be in a position to do this if that situation ever comes about.

However, I’m sure that should steam go down, if you retain the game files, some third party will quickly put together some kind of dummy steam system to trick your installed games into thinking steam is still active. Obviously you’d still lose the games you hadn’t already installed, mind.

• The Ninja Foodstuff formerly known as ASBO says:

@datom I don’t think it’s fair to blame Steam for that. Apple aggressively deprecate all their own hardware at a rapid rate. It’s very difficult now to develop a mac app today that that supports anything prior to10.7, let alone PowerPC architecture.

• datom says:

@ninjafoodstuff. Yeah, I was a bit snarky. I’m not actually that bothered as I don’t assume games to work on pre-Leopard anyway. I should say that I don’t blame Steam for not being backwards-compatable even if the products are.
      That said, I think it’s a prescient warning: there will be a day where the Steam front-end will likely be out-of-sync with its library.

• codename_bloodfist says:

It is both funny and sad, but the only way you can rest assured that you’ll be able to play a significant number of today’s titles in several years’ time is by pirating them. That is, assuming you can still run them on future hardware and actually want to play them as opposed to newer titles. I’m pretty sure that I won’t care about either of the two titles in as little as a year though.

• DrGonzo says:

He doesn’t have a point. Even at 1 pound for a 2 or 3 night rental that would be a fucking bargain for Arkham City or Saints Row.

7. Innovacious says:

Nice deal, but onlive just isn’t plausible for me. Even though i have the speed required, i don’t have the stability. The Internet infrastructure around my area is ancient and doesn’t really work very well at all. But the area i live in is mostly older people and other people who barely use the Internet. Spending money to upgrade it just isn’t cost effective for the ISPs. And that doesn’t even cover the fact that a video feed just doesn’t look as good as what MY PC can do.

*snip* wow, i wrote like 4 paragraphs of crap about onlive in general, then realised it just isn’t relevant to this before hitting send. When i get started, i just cant stop!

8. Omega Xi says:

I honestly fail to see how my connection isn’t good enough for this. But I still can’t ever get it to work at all. Oh well.

Edit: RPS doesn’t like my links either =(

• DrGonzo says:

It says there you have ADSL. So your connection is most likely fast enough, but not stable enough.

9. WMain00 says:

Will my phat 2.8mb of BT supplied, Unicom ISP’ed broadband even be able to cope with such extravagent usage of internet bandwidth?

• WMain00 says:

Barely, apparently. Therein lies the rub with this service. Until the infrastructure of broadband in God Awful Britain improves it’s never going to get the usage it deserves.

If they come back in….ooooh, 40 years, we should have 8mb broadband by then.

• DrGonzo says:

Huh? The slowest connection available for me here in the uk is 10mb. Maybe move to a city?

10. Gnoupi says:

*applauses* for the alt-text pun.

11. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Oh dammit, I had £4 left of disposable income this morning and it’s gone because of the bloody Steam autumn sale, and now they announce this. I was umming and ahhing about LA Noire, so £1 would be worth it to try the service and game out.

• Carr0t says:

Bought L.A. Noire last night on Steam. Apparently you have to launch Steam as an Admin or disable UAC to get the game to load, otherwise it just crashes silently after displaying the splash screen…

• TheBigBookOfTerror says:

I think I already am running Steam as admin, otherwise Borderlands DLC doesn’t authorise. It was something like that or a problem with another game. Thanks for the heads up anyway. I saw New Vegas was going for £3.74 and decided that I’d need something distract me during the other 1 hour each day that I’m not playing Skyrim.

12. CommanderZx2 says:

Does the Batman: Arkham City on Onlive run in Directx 11 and have Physx? I highly doubt it.

13. swiftshlock says:

Would be tempting if they offered it in my country…But I still have a bad feeling about some of their terms of service. Especially the part where they could delete my supposedly “bought” games after three years if no one is playing them anymore (if they do start to remove games from their service is still to be seen, of course).

oceanclub says:

I gave it a try with the LotR: WitN demo and just found it played like, well, I was playing on a low-spec, laggy machine. But like Samuel Johnson’s dog, I’m surprised to find it done at all. I can see perhaps people who aren’t the kind to bother to update the PCs to use it; but for those of us who do, I can’t see why we’d accept a much lesser experience.

P.

• Flappybat says:

Arkham City felt ok but you’d have to be on a pretty low spec computer to feel it was an upgrade. It’s a bit like watching Dark Knight without your glasses if you are shortsighted.

It’s just a real shame that Onlive works but the games are running on the equivalent of low settings and then compressed a lot.

• DrGonzo says:

I was playing Arkham City on my netbook and it looked as though I was playing it on a 360. No 16 gig download, and it’s 1 pound. 1 POUND.

15. Buckermann says:

Instead of these marketing gimmicks they should buy some of them newfangled, faster-then-light neutrinos. That would make me consider using this service.
    Einstein be damned!

16. Kieron Gillen says:

Boo. Won’t accept my credit card.

KG

17. Briggsy16 says:

This won’t work with two different email addresses due to not being able to have the same card on different accounts.

You could use entropay to get a virtual visa or something though.

18. myaltisa says:

Ive signed but cannot see how to claim the £1 deal? If anyone has worked out how to could they let me know please??

• TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Just go to the marketplace and look at featured games. When you go to payment choices it will have Full Play plan and it will be £1. Amusingly you can also choose to pay approx £5 and just rent the game for a week.

• myaltisa says:

Cheers mate!

19. michal.lewtak says:

Thanks, OnLive, but until you let me edit the ini files of my games to play Arkham City without forced 16:9 aspect ratio and 45 degree FOV, I’m not playing it even if you pay me to.
    Also, the games run on lowest graphical settings. I’d buy a console if I were contempt with that.

KingCathcart says:

I think you might be missing the point of OnLive.
      I’ve now got 2 top notch games for a £1 that I can play on a MAC, low spec PC or TV and I’m prepared to take the compromises for the sake of convenience and cheap gaming.
      However some of these games (such as Arkham City and Deus Ex: HR) I’ll pay for the full version on my main PC to get the most out of the experience.
      OnLive isn’t a replacement for your console or Gaming PC but it does provide another choice and it will be interesting to see how this service develops as the technology moves forwards.

20. GetEveryone says:

…Wait a minute.

So the raw processing power isn’t even coming from your PC when running a game through OnLive? It’s just displaying it?

If they ever get it ironed out to a smooth experience (granted, I haven’t even used the service), it deserves to catch on.

21. Toothball says:

Does anyone happen to know if you can stream games from OnLive with 3D support? I’m curious to see what LA Noire is like in 3D, but not tempted enough to buy a second copy of it as I already own it on Xbox and it made me pretty angry there.

• The Ninja Foodstuff formerly known as ASBO says:

Not possible. Probably won’t be for a very long time- it effectively doubles the required bandwidth and there would be a multitude of visible artifacts in any case.

• Toothball says:

Not unreasonable I suppose. Even if the bandwidth was there, there probably still aren’t that many 3D gamers around to make it worthwhile.

22. mongpong says:

The problem is that it uses soooo much bandwidth. They don’t advertise this on their FAQ’s but I read some articles and forum posts from people who have actually tested it and they were saying it works out as 3 GB download and 50 MB upload for every HOUR or more! Onlive have said that they use “a constant 3 – 6 Mb/s, depending on how much bandwidth is available”.

I’m not slgaging them off at all just be careful if you are not on Unlimited Broadband – saying that these unlimited packages are often not unlimited so all should be carefull i guess.

I bought Deaus Ex in the first sale they did and played it for a while but for me the ever so slight lag got very annoying very quickly so I gave up. Running on an 11 Meg connection.

• mcol says:

If you’re on BT broadband, it doesn’t count in your monthly allowance.

Also for BT customers, you get 3 months free full membership thing on onlive still, and a reduction on purchases. So your £1 purchase becomes 70p. I bought mafia2 for 70p. Quite possibly my best ever bargain!

23. beikul says:

Edit: reply fail

24. Enef says:

I accidentally bought homefront for £30 instead of redeeming the 5 day free pass :/ spoke to their support and apparently have to wait till after the weekend for a refund :/

25. Shortwave says:

How do the devs make money if people just play they game for a buck?
    I’m confused, ha.

• Megadyptes says:

Because the Publishers pay developers regardless of the price of the game.

26. D3xter says:

Don’t fall for it… they just want to lure you into using their service and you’ll pay for it thousandfold later if you do and services like OnLive get their “Exclusives”… we already know UbiSoft and some other publishers would totally be up for it and then it’s bye bye Graphics Configuration/Customizations, bye bye Mods, bye bye any control over your “bought” product and basically bye bye anything that constitutes PC gaming…

I’d rather buy a dozen consoles than support… this…

• DrGonzo says:

You’ve completely missed the point of it haven’t you?

It isn’t going to steal your precious games away from you. It isn’t even trying to rival PC gaming. It is trying to take on consoles. From that standpoint its amazing and a vast improvement. No generations to worry about, you won’t have to update your console. The games are cheaper. Can play them anywhere, no discs etc.

• D3xter says:

You’ve completely missed the point xD

It can’t “take on consoles”, because the platform holders won’t allow it and they have final say in the matter, they can only run x86/x64-based PC games in their server farm or did you see any of those “console exclusive” games pop up at any time?

It’s in direct competition with other Digital Distribution platforms on the PC and not much else and it represents the ultimate form of DRM, the one where you don’t have any control whatsoever over any games you might buy/own and they can cut you off whenever for whatever reason and there’s nothing you can do about it.

“No generations to worry about” is also funny, seeing as most games running on their servers are usually configured to run at medium settings at best to save processing power, add to that the video compression and lag and I’d rather play the games on a console xD

If this ever gets the user numbers/sales numbers of Steam for whatever and games that for instance are Steam-protected start popping up as “Onlive Exclusives” PC Gaming is royally screwed.

27. Wetworks says:

I bought Saints Row 3 for $1 and tried to play it. I’m sorry to say but graphically it looks like a Wii version. Not to mention the amount of lag I get while trying to play it. I want my dollar back.

28. rkb53 says:

Just to point out that if you want to play this coop, make sure that the people you want to play with have also purchased the game onlive. This is because onlive is isolated from the others.

29. Squirrelly says:

Someone may have pointed this out (I didn’t read, sorry), but it worked for me in the US