Expandalone! Shogun 2: Fall Of The Samurai

By John Walker on November 28th, 2011 at 4:12 pm.

He's expanding, alone.

I love saying “expandalone”. Say it out loud. Sometimes those cute little terms that spring up can be nauseating, but expandalone is the best. EXPANDALONE! Creative Assembly have announced an EXPANDALONE for Total War: Shogun 2, called Fall Of The Samurai.

Out in March, sez Eurogamer, the poor old Samurais are falling in the face of industry. Those darned Brits, Americans and Frenchies have only gone and figured out what beats swords. It’s Gatling guns.

You’ve six new factions, I’m reliably informed, one of which is called Satsuma, and that is FUNNY. Your campaigns can now extend further North, with new technology trees, and apparently railways and naval bombardments. I’m just copying at this point. There are new boats. Oh, just read the EG article for all the rest. And then watch the trailer here!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. danimalkingdom says:

Oh wow oh wow oh wow oh WOW

When they announced Shogun 2, I said aloud that I hope they do a Satsuma Rebellion/Boshin War expansion. And now they have so YAY! Definitely going to buy this. Presumably, if it’s expandalone, I can own it without needing Shogun 2?

EDIT: Just looked at the TW website: frickin’ ironclads? Royal Marines? First person mode? Yes pleasey please

• danimalkingdom says:

I think the two Shogun expansions have bookended the period well. The TW game system is not suited to any warfare in the 20th century, and they shouldn’t even try going that way.

Definitely should do a Renaissance TW next, 1500-1700 or so. Pike and shot, and actual total war in the case of the Thirty Years War.

• glocks4interns says:

Yeah I really like having the expansions as a pre and post script to the game itself. As far as where Total War goes next I’d be interested in any or all of the following:

Rome 2
      Medieval 3
      (I think that Rome and Medieval 2 are the high points of the series.)

There are a number of new eras/areas that could be explored but I think it is hard to pick ones that would be entirely fresh. I think there are two other areas I’d like to see:

Licensed games; I’m sure it’d be a nightmare to set up the rights but who wouldn’t buy Total War: Lord of the Rings or Total War: Game of Thrones?

One-offs; I’d love see see smaller titles that focused on one area/war. The map would be much smaller than typical in these games with less content and a lower price point. I could see myself buying a yearly release if they were along the lines of:
      Total War: War of the Roses
      Total War: Austrian Succession
      Total War: The Civil War

Having these come out once a year at $30-40 would be pretty sweet and then every 3-4 years they could do a big project with engine updates and the like.

• danimalkingdom says:

@glocks4interns

If CA did Game of Thrones or LotR games, they’d be up against two very decent mods. Regarding an Amerian Civil War TW, there are mods for that but I think Scourge of War nailed it.

• Cinnamon says:

I’ve never seen someone so excited for turret sections in a game.

• Jockie says:

It’s not the most exciting or original thought, but I think we’re ready for Rome 2.

Either that or an Ancient World Total War – I’m thinking of the ancient epic battles that blur with mythology like the greek wars with Troy and Persia.

I really feel they should stay as far away from gunpowder based battle as possible, it just doesn’t work as well in the the Total War games for my money. Hence why this expansion doesn’t excite me as much as others.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Dune:Total War

The spice must flow. Good god man, holster that Lasgun…they’re using shields over there! Blades only!

• ManBroPig says:

My god a dune total war would be amazing… ornithopters’s and sandworms… fremen and sardaukar… oh man the possibilities…

• AlwaysRight says:

What about:

Total War: Taipan!?

2. ZIGS says:

I like to expand alone sometimes

3. Kandon Arc says:

The important question: will Tom Cruise be a controllable general?

4. OJSlaughter says:

Nice, the Satsuma Rebellion: Japan had freshly signed the Alliance with the United Kingdom at this point. So I guess Britain, America and France will have a role in this expansion. This is the most modern Total War to date (very late 19th Century), so we are approaching the First World War fast! I think they will have to start go backwards now, this kind of technology is past the point of the playability for the game.

Still, I will be getting this expansion for my favourite PC Game series…

5. The_Great_Skratsby says:

And there will be Tom Cruise DLC no doubt.

Looking forward to it!

6. DarkFenix says:

The big question for me is this: Is this another mini-standalone campaign? If so, meh. I don’t want their silly mini-campaigns, I want them to make the grand campaign better.

7. caddyB says:

I thought he was really really fat until I noticed the horses.

8. Rico021 says:

If only the samurai had lightsabers…

9. Myros says:

Expandalone – aka we want to charge full price for a game built on the same engine with re-skinned models.

If the game boots up in under 5 minutes I might actualy consider it ;p In 15 years of gaming Ive never seen a game that takes longer to load than shogun 2 .

• Chris D says:

Yeah, all those people who say don’t waste your money on an SSD because load times don’t matter? None of them have ever played a Total War game.

10. BioSnark says:

I can’t wait to watch two lines of little men standing a mile apart blowing smoke at each other, again. Enough with guns already!

Medieval, Rome or earlier… :(

11. GenBanks says:

This is awesome!!

Just yesterday I was scouring forums and the internet for any whispered hints at further content for Shogun 2.

I hope we get at least a few more Shogun 2 DLCs/expandalones before the next step in the franchise. (Korea pleeaase!)

12. Kevin says:

I’d like to know of a great big RTS other than World in Conflict that was along the lines of the book Red Storm Rising. You know, endless columns of T-72s rolling across the East Berlin border, A-10s lighting them up like the 4th of July, SA-2s and ZU-23 tracer fire streaking across the night sky, that sort of thing.

13. magichicken says:

I just finished a (hopefully) published paper on this exact topic.
    This preview has made my week.

14. alundra says:

Interesting, certainly nowhere near the level of historical accuracy of the base game, people are right and it should feature Tom Cruise as a playable general, while the movie a great movie on it’s own, did poorly to depict Japan’s passage into the 20th century.

Along that line, there is no reason to complain about the use of firearms on this or the base game, the samurai were using arquebuses way before the satsuma rebellion, in fact, the satsuma rebels where using the same weapons as the meiji government.

With that said, if they ever move into the post WWI era they’d have to make substantial changes to the mechanics of the game.

• Jonith says:

They could probably use the same mechanics that they use in this Expansion for a WW1 game, but it would have to be set before the more well known Trench Warfare (It would also have to start in about 1890 around the Boer War period otherwise the game would only be 2 years in leghth before the Trench Warfare starts.)

Then again that idea still sounds boring for me, but I also found Empire and Napoleon boring, because I prefer Total War games with either no guns, or just as much as Medieval 2 or basegame Shogun 2

15. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

Finnaly!, a full on expansion pack (or in this case an Expandalone). im getting tired of all of these silly overpriced DLC’s

16. karumpa says:

Total War: The Elder Scrolls. Once the facepalm wears off……

Plenty of lore, plenty of geography. A bunch of neutral baddies, factions. Would be sweet.

17. Brumisator says:

Gaijin stay out of my Japan! I don’t want you gruff generic American pigs in my land!

I don’t even allow Christianity in my Empire!

Comment on this story