Gilbert Reveals Art For Double Fine Project

By John Walker on November 29th, 2011 at 4:01 pm.

It's only a story because it's those two.

Obviously we’ve known that Ron Gilbert has been working with/at Tim Schafer’s Double Fine for over a year now, but ON WHAT we’d regularly scream at the sky. Then Double Fine revealed they were basically ignoring the PC for all their games, and we crossed them out of our Christmas lists and spank banks, and got on with our lives. Then they threw us all by releasing Costume Quest on PC, raising hopes that further projects will also reach our shores. So it is that I hold hope in my belly that this Gilbert/Schafer project will be adorned by my PC. Because apparently it’s an idea that predates even Maniac Mansion.

Don’t forget that it was the combination of Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer that brought us the Monkey Island games. That’s why it’s a partnership worth noticing, even if Schafer maybe isn’t working directly on the project. Gilbert posts on his blog,

“Here are a couple of fine pieces of concept art from the game I’m making with the amazing folks at Double Fine. I’m so excited. This is an idea that has been in my head for a long long long time. It predates Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island. It’s a game that needed to be made… That’s all I can say right now, but more will follow later.”

Those pictures are here:

, , .

1. Drayk says:

Gilbert and Schafer together ? Hell yeah ! Brings back good memories.

2. julianbenson says:

Slim brogues + chunky chin = win

3. Tams80 says:

I had to look up ‘spank bank’. =S

4. Drinking with Skeletons says:

We just need a Psychonauts sequel. And when I say sequel, I mean one in which the passage of time since the first game is acknowledged (returning characters are older, etc.). One of the strengths of the Monkey Island games–which seems to be rarely mentioned–is that Guybrush actually evolves from the first game on, becoming older and more well-rounded as a character, to say nothing of his shifting relationship with Elaine. From his bearded attempt at manliness in LeChuck’s Revenge to Tales’ admittance that, yeah, he’s at least semi-competent after all of his adventures, he’s one of the more believable and relateable characters in gaming, despite being basically a cartoon.

So yeah, we need more of that.

• Gnoupi says:

Shush. We need a Grim Fandango’s sequel (or prequel) (or just anything, really)

• wisnoskij says:

I would be happy with a simple port of Stacking to the PC.

• fenriz says:

well-rounded confounded.

For me Guybrush is an avatar of “a ’90′s kid”, i liked him cause i could give him my voice and manners.

his attempt at manliness isn’t “well rounded character”, it’s an any 90′s kid growing.

• LionsPhil says:

I want Psychonauts remade as a visceral and cinematic first-person shooting experience point-and-click adventure game, personally.

• DrGonzo says:

I agree about guy brush being an any man. He was only a good character in the first two games too. As soon as he spoke he became an irritating bellend.

Would love another psychonauts. Keep it as a platformer though, but have point and click elements between levels. It already did that to an extent though I suppose.

5. Xocrates says:

It’s perhaps noteworthy that those are “two of the playable characters”.

Which only serves to further pique my interest.

6. S Jay says:

Predates Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island. Oh. My. God.

• Bhazor says:

He had the idea for the game when he was six months old. Those are two plastic figurines, the game is to get them all the way up your nose before mum gets back.

7. Nighthood says:

I’d love it if it was Psychonauts 2, but I’m not expecting it to be.

Any Double Fine game is OK in my book.

• DrGonzo says:

I used to think that too. But they haven’t made a decent game since psychonauts unfortunately. Haven’t ‘got’ any of their games since. They were neither fun to play, nor funny.

8. pyjamarama says:

I’m not getting my hopes up, last I heard Gilbert did the IOs app for Psychonauts, and he expressed more the once is love for IOs and ObejctiveC programming, my money is that it is an IOs game, sorry to disappoint.

Mo says:

Objective-C compiles on Windows too… I agree that it’ll probably be an iOS release, but I suspect it’ll make it to the PC soon thereafter.

9. Hoaxfish says:

Grim Fandango with flesh?

10. Swabbleflange says:

If the idea predates Maniac Mansion then surely it’s likely to be steeped in the game designs of that era. I mean, it’s not going to be a 3D platformer or an online action game, is it?

Of course I’m just hoping it’ll be an old-school adventure game, because I’m all stuck in the past and stuff.

• woodsey says:

Depends on how heavily reliant the idea was on mechanics. If it focused mainly on story/characters/setting/tone/whatever else, then it shouldn’t matter that much.

Rikard Peterson says:

Ideas from the early nineties must be re-imagined as an FPS!

But that doesn’t sound like Double Fine, so I’m optimistic. :)

• MSJ says:

That depends. I imagined Fallout 3 as a first-person game when I was playing Fallout 2 in 1999.

11. Skabooga says:

Specula-Tron engage!

So, we have perhaps a doctor/scientist and a mobster-looking fella. Under what circumstances would their two paths cross? Maybe there was an attempted hit on the Boss, so he is at the hospital, being treated by the doctor and guarded by the mobster when . . . something happens.

12. juandemarco says:

I would be happy with an old school point and click adventure, but they’re probably going to do an FPS…

13. ChainsawCharlie says:

Double Fine hell yeah \m/

14. fenriz says:

I appreciate the “quest” denomination. :)

And i near it with a vague and much possibly wrong Sierra reminiscence in the look of those chars.

15. Synesthesia says:

HHHNNNNNNetc.

16. JackDandy says:

This can only end well.

17. edit says:

Many times yes. Gilbert and Schafer were pretty much childhood heroes of mine. I didn’t know much about them as people but I was obsessed with their creations. Wonderful to see them working together again.