WoW Updates A 4.3rd Time: Hour of Twilight

By John Walker on November 29th, 2011 at 3:34 pm.

Dragons are the new zombies.

Remember World Of Warcraft? Coo, those were the days. Well, you may be surprised to learn the game is still running after all these years, and it’s still being updated! The latest patch for the Cataclysm update, as Eurogamer reports, is called Hour Of Twilight, and adds stuff.

So 4.3 brings us the end of the Cataclysm story, including a big old fight with the implausibly named dragon, Deathwing. Come on, what chance did he have with that name? What were mummy and daddy dragon thinking? And according to EG, to beat him you have to travel back in time. Blimey, when I played WoW it was all wandering around fields and picking up fur.

You’ve also got new raids, and a new means to find people to play them with the Raid Finder. There’s also a new feature called Transmogrification for customising gear. Void Storage is what they describe as a “deep storage” system alongside the bank. And then of course there are a bunch of significant tweaks to all manner of bits and pieces, which you can read about here. Meanwhile, have a trailer:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Squirrelfanatic says:

Needs more sparkling vampires.

2. Freud says:

Ohhh, Edward!

3. Alphabet says:

Is Bobby Kotick the ultimate weapon?

4. JackShandy says:

Going back in time would make sense of the fact that thousands of people defeat him in turn, at least.

• bleeters says:

As far as I know, you go back in time to get the weapon to defeat him in the present, in order to prevent the future.

• Xocrates says:

I can’t stop wondering if the reason they didn’t have the weapon in the present/future in the first place is because some bastards came out of nowhere and stole it in the past.

• Dragon Master says:

Wasn’t Deathwing immune to the very said weapon(Dragon Soul) as part of the deal to prevent him form using it?

• Nevard says:

The Dragon Soul was filled with the power of all the Dragon Aspects but Deathwing, which made them unable to harm him and him able to infinitely harm them.
      The raw power contained in the artifact was too much for him to contain though (as it was meant to be part of like six dragons instead of one) and started him on the path to becoming the barely-solid melting abomination he is today.
      Underneath those metal armour plates he is mostly lava. The Dragon Soul is unable to harm Deathwing himself but it’s perfectly capable of blowing up his clothes, which are the things holding him together.

Once Thrall blows off bits of his armour with the Dragon Soul, you clamber up onto his back and pry off more until he crashes into the ocean. The rest is all up to you then!

• bleeters says:

I look forward to the ultimate victory being attributed to some NPC who ultimately did squat the entire time.

Yes, Tirion Fordring, I’m still looking at you.

5. Swanny says:

Should be fun- can’t wait to fight Deathwing (eg, be killed by him four hours a week, for eight weeks till he gets nerfed).

Was anyone else looking at the fiery appendages on his back and wonder that Blizzard was thinking?

• caddyB says:

Hentai?

• Hoaxfish says:

I was wondering “why doesn’t he just turn over and let gravity get rid of everyone?”

• Proximity says:

He does do that though. If you don’t secure yourself to his back before he turns, you fall off and die.

• archimandrite says:

It’s a Lovecraft-type thing. Deathwing(then named something-or-other-the-Lifewarder) used to be a Lowly Investigator Dragon, but after delving too deeply into the lore of the Old Gods, his sanity reached 0% and he got all Cthulhu-fied. And named himself Deathwing. Or something like that.

• GeneralSalad says:

Deathwing(then named something-or-other-the-Lifewarder)

Neltharion the life warder :)

Yes I have the books about how he came to be deathwing…

6. caddyB says:

Oh, yes. Our raidgroup is ready tomorrow to take this bastard head-on.
    Hopefully we’ll clear it soon so we can keep proving that only logging in for raids 3 times a week can still be successful, if not very fast or competitive.

• Erucan says:

Raiding thee times a week can be as fast and competitive. If you got a good group of friends/people you really know it can go fast. Even our guild who only raids three days a week on a server with almost no activity got 3/7 hcs in firelands down.

Anyways, Deathchin is going down!

• Koozer says:

*only* 3 times a week? Christ.

• Makariel says:

When I was raiding I was busy 4 to 6 days a week with WoW. And still we only managed to beat ragnaros as third on our server. That were dark times with no regular hours, too much alcohol and microwave pizza (i.e. me still being student ;-))

• daf says:

It really depends on how many hours you’re actually putting weekly, my guild does 3 2h blocks every week for a total of 6h, overall for a mmo that’s really not much because at this point most raiders are mostly just doing that (someone playing skyrim could easily do more then that).

We got 5/7 heroic this week and we had a month of almost no activity due to summer sloth, so we’re pretty happy, other guilds however prefer to push harder so you get 5 days a week 3h a day raiding guilds, others just raid 1 hour a week.

Currently wow supports both kinds of guilds :)

• Stephen Roberts says:

Well, that’s the raiding time. But what about all the milling around in FactionCity or farming reagents and bits for your raid. Or just monging on vent.

How dare you mong on vent when other perfectly good games are there waiting to be played. How very dare you.

• daf says:

With the new guild perks and crafty use of resources and donations pretty much all things needed for raids are provided by the guild including enchants, gems and all those things. So as far as raiding is concerned all that’s needed is to show up and play to the the best of one’s ability.

But yes, I would be lying if my unplayed list on steam wasn’t getting frighteningly big as I slowly try to play trough it (currently on limbo and coop saints row the third) but I’d hardly be able to pass on that trill of overcoming a challenge and eventually slaying the big dragon with friends (my particular guild is made mostly of dear friends), but ei, look on th bright side, when I get around to games they’re already fully patched and with a healthy dose of mods available, hardly a bad thing :P

• sneetch says:

If you could actually do this raid content as 5-man heroics I’d probably still be playing. Or maybe not.

7. Jonith says:

I’ve played Wow since it’s release, i’ve gone through it’s highs and it’s lows, but at this moment in time, i wouldn’t care if it died. I may shed a tear for it because at heart it’s a good game, but recently it has gone down hill.

I hope that this final fight and Mists of Pandaria change it back to the good old WoW I knew, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Blizzard can do it, if they listen to their fans, and I don’t mean the vocal minority which constantly whine. (And no i’m not an TOR fanboy, that seems to have many of the same problems that WoW also has.)

• caddyB says:

Most of us playing since release are only here because we’ve made so many friends all around the world that quitting the game would be giving up a lot of things.
      It’s still more fun to crack fart jokes on ventrilo in raids than killing something for 100th time hoping for that chestpiece. ( Curse you, heroic alysrazor )
      But it makes sure that 10 of your friends will be there, for social interaction as long as the raid lasts.

WoW still is the best interactive social networking software.

• Jumwa says:

That’s definitely the main–and often only–reason many people stick around. It’s what kept my partner and I playing long after we would’ve stopped; all our friends there. Though with Cataclysm, the game just became a fun-void that started becoming more of an impediment than necessary, so we left, then our friends left, and we’ve kept in touch through our own little forum and Steam community, so we can still play games together and chat.

Which is probably why they’re so worried about the decline in subscribers that’s come with Cataclysm. They know this. And as more people leave, their friends become more likely to ditch as well.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

“It’s still more fun to crack fart jokes on ventrilo in raids than killing something for 100th time hoping for that chestpiece.”

I guess it says something about a game if cracking fart jokes while playing it has more entertainment value than the game itself.

• caddyB says:

Doesn’t it though?

• DK says:

You mean changing it so each character is literally reduced to 9 decisions over the span of 80+ levels? Because that’s what they’re doing. Seriously.

• Proximity says:

@DK As opposed to what now? There’s not really many choices in the talent system as it stands. There are mandatory talents, and when those are all done, you have 1, maybe 2, talents that are optional. Furthermore, that’s a little sensational considering that gearing and actually playing your character are still a factor.

• Jonith says:

Yeah, one of the reasons I stopped playing WoW was because my guild fell apart as a lot of people decided to quit the game. It was fun just sitting on vent with them, but after that it became boring.

• FKD says:

It reminds me of what my spouse said. I was having a “good time” with WoW until they pointed out that all I was using it as was a glorified chat room. That is not to say that it is not a good game or that is all is usefull for because I honestly did have a great time when I was first playing it, I just got burned out and the only thing that was keeping me “playing” was talking to people and it is kind of pointless (to us) to pay $15/mo to just talk when there are other means of doing it.

8. Ostymandias says:

The main problem with WoW is that it is WoW.

9. Azdeus says:

Killing Deathwing? Whatever.

Transmogrification? FUCK YEAH!! Whoo! I’ve been wanting that for ages now, can finally get rid of that ugly look on my gear!

• Dominic White says:

Guild Wars 2 needs to stop announcing its features early – by the time it comes out, World of Warcraft will have stolen all of them.

• Milky1985 says:

Yeah got myself the alliance 2 handed PVP level 60 weapon lined up ready for transmogfrication, its a stupidly huge sword that kinda reminds me of clouds sword so any sword I have from now on is looking like that.

Also as a tall death knight its even bigger and draggs along the ground, it is truly silly.

• Dragon Master says:

Isn’t PvP gear untransmogrifiable(..the fuck) as to allow players to know the gear level of their opponent?

• Nevard says:

PvP gear is totally transmogrifiable

• Stephen Roberts says:

The restrictions and red tape of this system happily underline to me that the developers have stopped enjoying doing their work. I believe the quote effectively says something like: You won’t see warriors tanking in a wedding dress, to which I lament the future of the game and pity all the people still bitterly locked up in it.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Yes. I was extremely disappointed to find I couldn’t use my fish weapons.

10. Tolkfan says:

That trailer is crap. Compare it to the trailer for Lich King (also the last patch in an expansion):

They said that there’d be in-engine cinematics for the raid fights (think wrathgate or worgen/goblin intros). That’d better be the reason for the suckiness of this trailer ;[

• Hoaxfish says:

I remember when Blizzard trailers were all “they should make a film, this animation is amazing”… now it’s kinda lazy in-game engine fly-overs and “DRAMATIC NEW DANGER” statements

• bleeters says:

They still do those for expansions/full games and the like. Individual content patch trailers have always used ingame models and footage, as far as I remember.

I’ll certainly admit they’re much less impressive or memorable, though.

• Xocrates says:

@bleeters: I would argue it’s more because other companies have finally managed to catch up to them in the past decade or so than them being worse. Despite its dodgy writing, the ones in Sc2 are still pretty damn amazing, it’s just not as noticeable nowadays.

• InternetBatman says:

I thought that too. It sounds so generic.

• Nevard says:

Yeah I remember that time too Hoaxfish, it wasn’t that long ago.
      It was patch 4.2 in fact, the last one they released!

Honestly this is the first Blizzard trailer to disappoint me in a long time. I am sure the content in the actual patch is going to make up for it but I was still hoping for something more dramatic for the final encounter. There isn’t even any kind of voice over :(

• qwiggalo says:

@Hoaxfish Did you not see the first Diablo 3 cutscene they released? It’s extremely impressive.

11. Dana says:

They will need greatest weapons ever forget. Untill next expansion, that is !

12. cpy says:

You know you should try listen to worgen female jokes.

13. InternetBatman says:

That was not a good trailer at all. It makes WoW sound like even more generic fantasy than it is. Personally I think Lich King should have been the last WoW expansion and they should have been making a new game that happens at least three generations later. The lore is getting so tired.

14. TODD says:

WOW is the PINNACLE of the MODERN MMORPG

just look at its SUB #s… some people CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH IMO wich is SAD… that wow is the popular b/c it is the BEST… best pvp, best raiding, best daily quests, best fishing, best mounts, best races (cept for fgt belves tbhtbthbththbthbh

cant w8 for pandas

• coty says:

The best trolls.

• Nevard says:

Yeah I agree Coty.
      I prefer purple guys with Cuban accents and tusks to, for example, grey ones with candy corn horns or stone ones with diamond teeth.

• Wulf says:

In the future, archaeologists of the Tech Caste will spend decades trying to decipher the pseudo-languages used by WoW fans. They will come to the eventual conclusion that the quotient of actual wisdom or worth in these texts is so infinitesimal that it’s not really worth their time.

Following that, they’ll enjoy some time unwinding with a quality old MMORPG, like Guild Wars 2.

:P

15. Beelzebud says:

OMG you acted surprised that WoW still has players and is updated. I wonder how many people from other sites will now write huge essays on how unfair that is to the WoW community as a whole, and lovers of all things fair and decent.

16. Carra says:

The game still looks surprisingly good seeing how it’s 7 years old.

And I’ve been wanting to replay it again lately… but Star Wars is out in month…

17. alilsneaky says:

Love the lollore discussions.
    You guys realise there are better stories to be found than this fan fiction tolkien esque crap right?

What’s a boo-ook you ask? google it.

• Nevard says:

I read books, play WoW and also know how to express my opinion without insulting people with ridiculous blanket statements!
      I think you’re missing more than one of those qualities.

• Wulf says:

Given the defensive response, I’d actually say that his trolling pretty much hit a sore spot.

The intelligent response would have been to enquire as to which books he believes are of a higher standard of lore than WoW, just to put him on the spot and see what happens.

• Nevard says:

Why? I already know a fair few books that have better lore than WoW, I don’t need to ask him.
      The implication that because a better work of fiction exists that it is pointless to talk about anything else is a bit of a confusing one too, and needlessly confrontational.

I am also unsure of what your point about “I think he hit a sore spot” is meant to mean.
      Firstly I am dubious of your claims to be a psychic, it is always somewhat inadvisable to attempt to judge someone else’s mood over the internet because text is notoriously bad for communicating tone, inflection and emotional meaning.
      Secondly… would it matter even if I was angry? This is a place for discussion, not a point scoring contest. You don’t get an achievement for upsetting someone, you’re just a bad person.

18. Rii says:

Well I thought it was pretty cool.

19. chaos4u says:

sometimes i just wanna resub so i can spread panda hate through the forums …

20. Caerphoto says:

The scene on Deathwing’s back reminded me of silt striders.