Taking A Swing: Tour Golf Online

By John Walker on November 30th, 2011 at 4:44 pm.

See, this is what I figured it would look like in action.

On seeing the news that there was to be a golf game made with the CryEngine3, my heart went a-pitter-pat. I’ve never been a golf game player, beyond the utterly wonderful Mario Advance Golf for the GBA (WHY NO SEQUEL, NINTENDO? WHYYYYYYYY?!), so it’s not like I’m craving playing this generation’s Links. It’s just, well, I’m craving looking at this generation’s Links, I think. Remember when that game came out, with its confusion of photographs and videoed humans made of seventeen pixels? It was like looking at real golf, if you squinted to the point of closing your eyes and imaging real life golf. And while the sport holds no interest for me, I still find it utterly calming, that expanse of green, the satisfaction of seeing the ball fall in the hole… Imagine it. And carry on imagining, because the enigmatically named Tour Golf Online (crappy Facebook page instead of real website, unfortunately) seems to think all the detail should be far, far in the distance.

Of Korean origins, and featuring Korean Professional Golfer’s Association players, the game is currently being tested and, er, details get a bit sketchy really, with just a Facebook page for information. Game Campus, who are publishing it Westside, and issuing press releases, seem to have forgotten to mention it on their own site.

It’s an odd choice to take this epic engine, recognise its abilities for the extreme background details of flowing waterfalls and mountain ranges, and then keep the foreground an expanse of bland. Sure, I realise options are limited in a game predominantly played in large patches of green, but watch the video and you’ll see what I mean. The tiling is so awkward you can see the grids as the ball rolls.

I dunno. I think this might still be prettier:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Herzog says:

A new golf game for PC would be nice as I cant find my Links 2003 cd anymore. This one doesnt look so good though…

2. McDan says:

They’re doing it wrong, it’s foot-to-ball not club-to-ball.

Amateurs.

Colonel J says:

CryEngine3? I hope it still lets you do things with physics and chickens.

4. alundra says:

Ah, golf, there were a few very playable and very nice golf games besides Mario Golf, Hole in One for the SNES and Hot Shots Golf for the Sony PSx consoles.

If the game is Korean chances are it’s going to be an MMO golf game, I will be passing this one up.

Mr. Walker if you liked Mario Golf then you need to check the Hot Shots Golf series.

5. Wooly Wugga Wugga says:

As long as it allows me to create my own courses like the games of yore I’m in.

6. Mistabashi says:

Experience of Professional Golfer.

BathroomCitizen says:

That Links game sure has a smooth engine!

8. bildo says:

100% not surprised the game was made entirely by Koreans. MFW I know at least 6 Min Jeong Kims’ :) This game looks good. They should make sure they get back to their English teachers at some point though :P

9. Skusey says:

If you hit the trees do they fall over? I sure hope so.

10. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Ah, good old Links. It was my Grandad who taught me how to use a computer and he loved golf games (and Road Rash amusingly), and Links was his favourite so I have a bit of a soft spot for the series and made sure I kept his collection safe (he passed away 6 years ago). They suddenly went a bit mad and made some strange ones involving bombs and giant crazy golf courses.

The first golf game he had was Jack Nicklaus on our old Amstrad 1512. Videogame Jack was a gobby git and I didn’t like his sarky comments. Mr Arnold Palmer was much nicer to me when I kept trying to putt with a driver or would smack the ball in the opposite direction. I liked to try and explore the courses so would hit the ball into crazy places and rotate the view around to see what I could find. If they just made a golf game where you could wander about and drive the buggies, I would start playing them again.

Kasper says:

They totally need to make a golf game where you have to drive the golf buggy from hole to hole – GTA style. Including golf/road rage, hidden jumps and drunk driving.

11. Leandro says:

Didn’t think I’d see Mario Golf Advance get some love around here. As a PC player, the GBA is my favorite “console” ever, and this game is truly amazing.

I never understood why Nintendo never puts the awesome RPG elements of portables in their home console version of sports. Nor can I undferstand how Mario Golf and Mario Tennis never really made their way to the DS and Wii.