RPS Asks: Games For The Weekend?

By Jim Rossignol on December 2nd, 2011 at 4:42 pm.

The RPS games room, yesterday.
What are you intending to play this weekend, eh? That copy of Terraria you just bought in the sale? Skyrim again, more, faster, again? Perhaps something else stacked up from a sale? I’m going to be mysteriously messing with some unreleased puzzle game with punctuations of Serious Sam 3, Alec’s adrift on that Terraria/Skyrim angle, and Mr Smith? Well, he’s all over both Sam AND Skyrim. The tart. John, I believe, has invented his own game based on a 2000-year old rulebook he found in an old building in the middle of town. I dunno what it’s all about, but it seems popular!

Anyway. Speak your games!

__________________

« | »

1. db1331 says:

In no particular order:

Terraria
    BF3
    Skyward Sword
    Ocarina 3D
    The Witcher 2
    Ico
    Possibly Skyrim (I may have burned myself out on it)

2. Edawan says:

I plan to finish Dawn of War 2‘s campaign, then maybe start Deus Ex 3 which I bought in the last sale.

I’ll also bang my head against the Binding of Isaac a few times along the way.

3. steve19137 says:

Skyrim, Dungeons of Dredmor, Greed Corp, replaying Portal 2.

4. ChainsawHands says:

Saints Row 3 in coop. Oh yes.

5. WMain00 says:

Blood bowl at the moment, due to one of the steam daily deals. Currently trying to learn it and not be so awful.

6. crawl says:

Skyrim, Dungeon Defenders, Starcraft 2 .. oooh yeah..

7. SmoothUK says:

Skyrim, Brink, CS:GO, Tribes Ascend, Skyrim.

8. Rinox says:

Skyrim, Solium Infernum, TF2.

9. 4026 says:

Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Waves, Skyrim.

10. GrandmaFunk says:

Minecraft and Mount&Blade:Warband – Prophecy of Pendor

11. sonofsanta says:

Fallout 3 some more. 50 hours in and I reckon I’m about halfway. Then I’m only 3 years behind the current release schedule. This is what two years in New Eden does to your backlog :(

Got Napoleon: Total War ready and waiting for the Xmas hols though. For some reason Christmas always makes me want to play strategy games. Something irresistible about sneaking away after a massive Christmas lunch and losing 3 hours of quality family time to Civ 4′s Next Turn button instead.

• TheJohn says:

I’m currently finishing Fallout:New Vegas, allowing my self to get lost in the side quests and the cheap DLC I was able to pick up on the cheap.
      Being late to the party saves me both money and the inevitable grief of waiting for a game to be patched up and actually functional, but at times I wonder what it would be to able to sit at the cool kids table and talk loudly about Skyrim and dragons and giant glitches.

Ah, nevermind. I still got some Borderlands DLC to finish.

12. Wang Tang says:

Anno 2070 multiplayer.
    And some TF2 and Orcs Must Die! inbetween.

13. Meedoc says:

Cave Story +, and a lot of old games thanks to the exhibition Game Story in Paris :D

14. SMiD says:

Europa Universalis III; picked it up during the Autumn sale. I’m almost through the manual, and I’m hoping to turn Poland into a world power soon. Hussars, ho!!!

Also, Sanctum.

15. ArcaneSaint says:

I’m going to play “studying for exams”. If I’m posting here, that means I’m not very good at it.

• tormeh says:

I hate this game.

• LostViking says:

Aw, I stopped playing that game many years ago, and I have never looked back.

The boss fights sucked! Some times they could be 6 hours long, and only the constant chugging of rejuvenation potions (also called coffee) kept me going while slowly chugging away at the beasts defenses.

• firefek says:

Good God! I just finished playing that game. Not going to have to bother with it for another 2 years till I have to pick it up again.

16. Icarus says:

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Terraria.

17. fauxC says:

I’ll be playing Working in Retail so Working all Weekend and Hating the World

In breaks from that I’ll be trying to 5-skull the last few maps on OMD! Nightmare mode.

18. JusticePS says:

More Hyper Princess Pitch. Thank you so much RPS for posting a new Remar game!
    Blood Bowl (tabletop, local league playoffs start Sunday)
    Battletech: Firestorm (VR Arcade)
    Super Monday Night Combat

Skyrim
    Saints Row 3
    Skyrim
    TF2
    Skyrim
    Killing Floor

and last but not least, Skyrim.

20. disperse says:

Mount and Blade: Lord of the Rings Last Days Mod

21. Unaco says:

Skyrim
    Darwinia/Multiwinia
    Might finally learn to play EUIII
    Maybe some Witcher 2, maybe some Deus Ex HR.

Dunno if it’s a definite, but a member of the ARPS community has been working on a campaign for us, in the Invasion ’44 environment for ArmA2 – Able, Baker and Charlie fire teams, nick names, Garands, Tigers and Camaraderie. Saturday is meant to be the day for it.

We also have a massive Combined Ops session planned in the ArmA 2 Community for Sunday evening, with multiple groups participating and around 80 people expected.

22. Ian says:

Skyrim and Football Manager, because clearly I only like short, snappy games that are done in a few hours.

23. Elltot says:

Gratuitous Space Battles, Back to the Future: The Game and maybe SPAZ (played demo last night, enjoyed it).

24. FCA says:

No computer games for me this weekend, I’m going to run after kids to scare them, dressed up as a black slave.

No kidding, we do that here every year, or if you’re so inclined, you can dress up as a Catholic bishop and let small children sit on your lap.

25. deadly.by.design says:

Skyrim.

If my friends are online at the same time, we might actually continue our Dead Island playthrough.

26. bleeters says:

For various reasons (it has Victoria Kruger doing voice overs HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS BEFORE), I finally got around to playing Trine. Assuming I don’t finish it, which I suspect I almost have, that. Possibly Trine 2. I have no idea when that’s actually released. Is it released this weekend? I guess not. Probably some Skyrim, depending on whether it’ll work.

All in-between playing I Have An Assignment Due In Next Week, of course. That one’s so fun. I can’t stop playing it.

• westyfield says:

I got Trine in a Humble Bundle a little while ago. Started playing, the Thief opened her mouth and instantly I recognised Victoria Kruger’s voice from Dragon Age 2. She’s quite a good voice actress, methinks.

27. Dzamir says:

Assassin’s Creed Broterhood, Orcs Must Die

28. pakoito says:

Dominions 3, Terraria 1.1, Nehrim. Maybe some dota2. Street Fighter 4 for sure.

• phanatic62 says:

Is Dominions 3 worth it for single player? Looks like a really in-depth, awesome game, but I’ve also read that it’s really just for multiplayer (slow internet connection prevents me from playing online). Every so often I check that site to see if they’ve dropped the price at all, which they just about never do.

• Xerophyte says:

Dom3 is not worth it for single-player, no. About all you can use the AI for is practicing your expansion strategy, it can’t do anything complicated.

On the other hand, if you’re willing to play it with people in the first place then it really doesn’t matter one fig what your connection speed is. All multiplayer is essentially just transmitting your order file once per turn. It’s a couple of KB worth and most games are played at a languid pace of 1 turn/day, at that rate I’m pretty sure I could recite the transfer in hex over the phone if I had to.

• phanatic62 says:

Thanks Xerophyte. So it’s basically just PBEM? I can certainly play that! Now the next question is whether or not I would play enough to warrant buying a $50+ game. Digital distribution sales and indie game packs have warped my perception of the price to pay for games.

29. airtekh says:

Pretty much Batman: Arkham City, and nothing else. I’m obsessed with it; it’s definitely my game of the year.

30. kifter says:

Batman: AC, and maybe some Skyrim.

31. Demiath says:

Semi-realistic weekend plans: Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City and a tiny bit of Saints Row 3.
    Unrealistic weekend plans: The above plus also FEAR 3, Grey Matter, Dungeon Defenders, Brink, Mafia II and Battlefield 3.
    Realistic weekend plans: Skyrim. Period.

32. Maldomel says:

Probably some Skyrim, a bit of various indie games I bought these past weeks, and a lot of Terraria since 1.1 is out.

33. lunarplasma says:

Playing the Starcraft 2 campaign.

34. Bluerps says:

Skyrim (unless the patch broke it) and Terraria (which was hopefully not broken by its patch).

35. Faceless says:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Killing Floor and Dead Island. If I feel exceptionally masochistic, Storm of Zehir and Vindictus.

36. ResonanceCascade says:

Marathon. I went and downloaded them after the article yesterday, and they’re a ton of Doomy fun. With an actual plot to boot.

37. Sirnizz says:

Skyrim and the Indie Royale Bundle I just baught so it will be :

Cthulhu saves the world
    Eufloria (this game is really good worth alone the price of the bundle) I enjoy this game when I’am stoned and it’s pure joy
    And a bit of Really Big sky for relaxing

38. Wizardry says:

I’m going to play a CRPG called Dark Sun: Shattered Lands this weekend.

• 4026 says:

Is that some sort of Skyrim mod?

• vecordae says:

Pretty sure that’s the sequel to Might and Magic: Dark Messiah.

• EOT says:

Nah, he said CRPG. So it’s obviously some Mass Effect rip-off.

• Zork says:

I certainly hope you’re applying the label “CRPG” to “Dark Sun: Shattered Lands” with a fair bit of tongue in that cheek of yours. News flash: a fancy graphical interface does NOT an RPG make. The minute you graphics hounds started clamoring for on-rails worlds hemmed in by extensive graphical limitations, you people killed off the true CRPGs.

Going from narrated worlds bounded only by the player’s imaginations, and truly abstracted proper RPG systems, to fancy 3D graphical whatsits like Dark Sun that lead us by the nose through pinched little predefined worlds and distill our dicerolls into fancy pixelated loop-de-loops? I guess young cusses like you call that progress.

I call it crap.

39. cloudkiller says:

Terraria
    Fallout NV (DLC from last steam sale)
    Minecraft
    …and wishing I had Skyrim

40. sinister agent says:

I will be trying not to play Skyrim, as it just creates more work, but will inevitably cave sooner or later. But until then, I’ve finally started playing Jagged Alliance with the 1.13 patch properly, and it’s been rather disastrous. So I’ll be seeing how long I can last as a tiny, roving band of guerillas with too little money to hire anyone.

Might be giving Second Sight another go, too.

41. caprisundad says:

I think Red Read Redemption is coming from eBay today, so probably some of that. Arkham City. Terraria. Maybe some Titan Quest for old time’s sake. I might even break down and buy a used Wii and Skyward Sword.

42. actionthom says:

LoL and the SW:TOR second Beta!

43. n. says:

Baldur’s Gate 2.

44. oceanclub says:

Air Buccaneers! Am hoping there’s a crowd on the Ludocraft server tonight.

Back to Minecraft as well – I rage-quit in a strop the other day as creating a portal from The Nether back to the normal world left me in an abandoned mine miles from home with a load of wrathful spiders, where I prompted died, leaving many nice shiny diamond-made things. I may just cheat and go back to an earlier backup.

Air Buccaneers also left me in a multiplayer mood, so I may jump into Day of Defeat:S for a few games of dod_avalanche, and may even show off my PC Gamer hat while building mah sentries in TF2.

45. mineshaft says:

TF2
    Football Manager
    Oblivion mods
    VVVVVV
    Agricola
    Dominion

(what has happened to Cardboard Children)

46. woodsey says:

L4D2 (me and my co-op buddies rediscover it every few months), Payday: The Heist, and probably even more Skyrim in between the co-op jollies.

47. LieutLaww says:

SWTOR Beta all weekend long :p

48. Deano2099 says:

Skyward Sword
    And maybe Trenched (or whatever it’s called now).

49. Bureaucrat says:

I’ll be playing the “assmble a new PC” game.

If it works well, the video card came with a free copy of Arkham City. As I never got around to finishing Arkham Asylum, I will perhaps play that. (Or, maybe I’ll buy Skyrim.)

If it doesn’t work well, I’ve got a Baldur’s Gate 2 game in progress on the older machine.

50. Spiny says:

A witchering a witchering a witchering 2 I shall go, with a bit of BF3 on the side.

Comment on this story