Looking For People To Game With?

By Jim Rossignol on December 3rd, 2011 at 11:58 am.

I know what you're thinking, but he's peering, not staring.
There is a way, you know. It means signing up on our forums and getting involved in one of the many groups and games that get organised over there. The forum in question is this one, where a number of your fellow RPS readers gather to play the games that require more than one person to play. For instance there’s a large Blood Bowl community, for the sporting deaths of ogres and dark elves alike. Then there’s a meticulously organised unofficial Minecraft server, which is well worth a visit. There’s even a gang playing Arma 2, and some folks getting RPS’d in D&D Online. You might not find quite what you are looking for in the RPS gaming communities, but I am betting you can come close…

1. Maiq the Liar says:

M’aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk.

2. Baka says:

The unofficial Minecraft server is one of the most creative and dedicated servers I ever visited. Only mega-projects like rebuilding entire Middle-Earth can overshadow it. It sucks that I don’t have the imagination to build anything more than mining tunnels or a block house but that doesn’t keep me from visiting it every few weeks. There’s always something new to marvel at.

3. Drake Sigar says:

Single-player gaming has spoiled me. I want to be able to pick people up like toys and discard them at my leisure.

4. RealoFoxtrot says:

I got into the Beta for Tribes Ascend recently and reading this has made me think…

RPS needs it’s own clan when the social side is released

5. Colonel J says:

This is not complete without a recommendation for the community’s unofficial Mumble server which I used for the first time in the BF3 game last night, it really works very well.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Yeah the mumble is good I’ve used it for minecraft a few times. Is it cool to just randomly go in the BF3 channel and ask to join other people’s game, or is it a bit more cliquey than that?

• Alex Bakke says:

Everyone is welcome to join in. If you see some strangers in the channel, drop in and ask if they’d mind you joining. If they do for whatever reason, then there should be sub-channels – Or you could create your own.

• President Weasel says:

remembers there’s an RPS steam chat-o-tron channel too, generally where the ARMA players can be found but it’s far more than just an ARMA hangout, it’s for other games too.

• Colonel J says:

Last night on the RPS BF3 server was a lot of fun and so much better with voice. Would be good to have people to squad up with in BF3 more often, come say hello if I’m on Mumble.

6. coldvvvave says:

I wish we had some kind of DoW2 community. Acrually, we probably have one but I forgot to pay attention.

7. Bodge says:

There are so many people wanting to play BF3 we have had to start a 3rd platoon! It is here –

the first two are here -

We use the mumble server to communicate.

The arma community is by far the best way to play Arma 2 online (or at all for that matter).

8. Raziel_Alex says:

Anyone here still playing Bad Company 2? I don’t yet have the PC for BF3, so I just picked BC2 one week ago and it’s probably my favorite MPFPS.
    I’m Raziel Lysander in the game, add me so we can live some cinematic shooting together. Also, is the RPS server still alive?

• The Tupper says:

I’m still playing BFBC2 when my ongiong exploration of Skyrim allows. I’m in the same boat, I suspect, being the owner of a reliable-but-somewhat-elderly-system that still runs Windows XP.

I’m really rubbish at playing Battlefield, but I make up for it with enthusiasm: enthusiasm grenades.

• Raziel_Alex says:

I’m sometimes good and sometimes I want to rage quit… with pride. I would make it up with enthusiasm C4, but sadly as Assault you can only have it with shotguns, which sucks.

9. HexagonalBolts says:

We’re always looking out for friendly Starcraft 2 players of any league to do team games with:

Also I’ve just started to run a small friendly Minecraft server under the vague rule of ‘no gigantic sonic pictures, make buildings’ if any RPSers wants to join us!:

• HexagonalBolts says:

In fact, if you play starcraft 2 team games add me: HexagonalB / character code: 596

10. CMaster says:

No mention of the monthly (ish) Frozen Synapse Leauge?

11. Hanban says:

Us gents playing EVE are always up for helping out anyone looking to try the most amazing game in the world. So if you fancy giving space a shot find the thread in question on the forum and shout up!

12. man-eater chimp says:

Can we restart a Terraria world, especially with all the new bosses and whatnot!

• shitflap says:

Seconded

• therighttoarmbears says:

Thirded. Hmm, made all the better by how easy it is to host a Terraria server…Lemme think about it…

13. President Weasel says:

There are two blood bowl leagues, and there’s currently a stunty cup competition going on as well. I seem to have promised to run a full-size cup competition once the stunty one has run its course too.
    It’s often quite easy to pick up Blood Bowl Legendary Edition for a tenner in Steam sales or on play.com (many many other retailers are available).
    There’s also an RPS community for the free to play alternative version of blood bowl, FUMBBL, which I have yet to play but am sure is good – I’ve played other games with some of those FUMBlers and they’re lovely people.
    There’s an RPS eve corporation (RPS Holdings), a band of RPS ARMA2 heroes which has regular events on Tuesdays and Sundays but can often be persuaded to play an ad hoc game on other evenings, there are at least a couple of games of Solium Infernum going on at the moment and I am sure you’d be able to find players to start a new one off with, whatever your level of skill.
    I believe someone mentioned the Frozen Synapse league too, a game I own but shamefully have only ever played five minutes of.
    A group of us* are playing the free to play MMO Dungeons and Dragons Online in the guild ‘Rock Paper Shortbow’ and they’d welcome new players and shower them with gifts.

And there’s Jupiter’s Folly, and Sword of the Stars…

No matter your tastes, if you have a PC and want to play games on it with other people you’re very likely to find conducive other people on the forums.

Just start here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?10-Game-Clubs-And-General-Sociability-Ok and if you don’t see something for the game you want to play within the first couple of pages, why not start a thread?

*I say ‘us’, but I haven’t played in a fortnight because SKYRIM

14. bartleby says:

sam fuller. good taste.

15. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

The only rule is that you have to change one of the words of Rock Paper Shotgun to a word relevant to the game, like Rock Paper Secession, which is based around Scourge of Hiking: Courier Crash.

16. sabrage says:

I’m happy to report that 11 new members (or more than a third of our original base) have joined the US Battlefield 3 platoon in the last two days! Was a little confused by the influx until I saw this post.

17. Gerbick says:

There’s also the LOTRO gang.

Which needs a few more people.

So it’s not just me.

Please…

18. EOT says:

I’ve missed the ARPS lot. I’ve not had proper internet (apart from pass-through via my phone which works out at about 1.2MB/s) since mid-september :(

• Joseph-Sulphur says:

We still love you! Even though I’m not sure exactly who you are. But rest assured that we still love you.

• EOT says:

Blastvader

19. Xerian says:

Thanks for mentioning us over at the uRPS Minecraft server – We’re not the biggest bunch ever, but all of our players are good folks, and we always enjoy visitors and we welcome newcomers, so if you feel like buildin’ some small-scale stuff, making huge builds, chattin’ with lovely people, or just love explorin’ then you should definitely drop by the forum and leave us a message – then we’ll pop you on the whitelist and let you have a go at it! (You can, ofcourse come take a look around without being whitelisted ;p)

20. Xerian says:

Thanks for mentioning us over at the uRPS Minecraft server, Jim :]
    We’re not the biggest bunch ever, but all of our players are good folks, and we always enjoy visitors and we welcome newcomers, so if you feel like buildin’ some small-scale stuff, making huge builds, chattin’ with lovely people, love explorin’ or simply gazing upon the small and huge builds of others, then you should definitely drop by the forum and leave us a message – then we’ll pop you on the whitelist and let you have a go at it! (You can, ofcourse come take a look around without being whitelisted ;p)