Beta Blockers: Minecraft Turns Lego

By John Walker on December 5th, 2011 at 5:15 pm.

This would require an awful lot of Lego.

You know how Minecraft is a bit like the world’s biggest and most elaborate Lego set? Except here you start with more green and brown blocks than even Simon Lego himself owns. Well, monolithic megacorp, Mojang, are discussing a deal with the Danish blockmasters to release official Minecraft Lego. They are only next door to the Swedish devs, after all. The news comes via Mojang bod Daniel Kaplan’s Twitter feed, who reports that they’ve gotten past the first stage of Lego’s peculiar means of developing specific themed packs. Via LEGO CUUSOO, someone’s idea for a Lego set appears in a Kickstarter-style site, except here all people are pledging is their support for the idea. Get to 10,000 votes and the idea gets looked at by Lego. And now Kaplan reports they are now chatting with Mojang about the prospect.

Those who get picked get a 1% cut of the profits, which Mojang say they’ll be giving to charity. As they throw another wad of thousand dollar bills out the window to shoo away the pigeons. So they’re after votes again, apparently. Although I’m not sure why.

Is it a good idea? It seems like Minecraft rather supercedes Lego for me. It’s a bit like releasing a plastic rendition of Peggle, with one set of pins and no exploding rainbows. But is it something you want? Clearly lots of others do. And when I look at the pictures on the Cuusoo site, I do rather want some.

In other news, Americans, stop saying “Legos”. You sound ridiculous.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

I already have Lego (aka LEGO)… isn’t this just Lego themed Lego. Le’ go o’ ma lego.

Though I suppose even Lego is less blocky than Minecraft.

• limboing_leper says:

I’m inclined to agree, I don’t really see what an official set would include to make it more Minecraft like. Perhaps some of the ore and redstone blocks. Although it could be a whole new type like Lego Duplo as the minecraft proportions don’t really fit standard lego ones

• sneetch says:

“isn’t this just Lego themed Lego”

That’s a good point… I mean they’ll have to make a Creeper somehow but surely this would just be a lot of 2x2x1 Lego blocks in a bag surely?

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, I want this to go ahead just for the minifigs.

• ananachaphobiac says:

Isn’t it more, Minecraft but offline?

• bear912 says:

I would say that, when considered architecturally, Lego pieces offer much more variety and depth than the cubes of Minecraft. On the other hand, when considered as a dynamic system, Minecraft seems the clear leader. You would be hard-pressed to implement a working 16-bit ALU with Lego blocks, but you’d also have a hard time creating something as structurally nuanced as this with Minecraft.

• vexis58 says:

It would be pretty cool if you could get a set that’s just the square blocks, except they’re specially painted or something to look just like the default minecraft graphics. A grass block with partially-grassy sides, a gray textured stone block, a blue translucent water block, etc. Might be hard to get the paint to stick to the plastic in a way that it won’t just rub off when you try to connect the pieces though.

• LostViking says:

@bear912

I am pretty sure you could build a 16 bit ALU in technics lego. The problem is you would have to buy a crapload of bricks!

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

After decades of moving away from simple blocks building anything, and moving towards one-trick-pony Lego parts, are they now actually jsut releasing the standard simple Lego blocks again with a huge rabble about them being licensed Minecraft blocks?

• Hoaxfish says:

They always did the proper ones. Those other ones are the idiot-proof lego, much like Ikea is idiot-proof carpentry (as long as you’re really snobby about what doesn’t constitute an idiot)

3. FCA says:

Minecraft is what the Lego MMO should have been….

They should make an offline version of Wordfeud. That would be totally rad.

• BSG11 says:

This.

I’m confused why Lego and Mojang don’t see the potential of a sandbox game using a hybrid of Lego and Minecraft. Mine Lego terrain for Lego resources, refine and craft said resources into building material, construct building and vehicles.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

What You’re describing sounds like a more limited minecraft.

The problem is, The video game is in this case less constricted than the real thing. That is Minecraft’s thing, basically. why make a more constricted version of it?

• InternetBatman says:

Really? It sounds like Minecraft with vehicles. I could get behind that. I never did try the horse mod though.

4. Vinraith says:

Construx were better.

5. oceanclub says:

On the one hand, it seems superfluous.

On the other hand, you could then render your most prized creations from Minecraft in reality.

I vote YES.

P.

6. LTK says:

Personally I think it’s criminal that ‘Beta Blockers’ was never used as a title in the entire time Minecraft was in beta.

7. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Shouldn’t that be Ian Lego?

Also, cue misuse of “Legos”

8. Urthman says:

Having pretty much always used high-res textures packs, just about all Minecraft-themed knock-off products have zero emotional appeal for me. I’ve played hundreds of hours of Minecraft, but I’ve never played a game that looks like that.

9. hypercrisis says:

Pre-orders drying up so theyre moving into merchandise?

Cuddly creepers are next I’m sure.

10. Bishop149 says:

How very meta. . .

11. Faldrath says:

To the Moon reference, John? Clever!

• Skabooga says:

I am thinking that myself, although a Google search reveals that they are indeed a real compound. But I still prefer to think of it as a reference.

12. youthful cynic says:

aaaaaaand the snake eats itself

13. ninjapirate says:

What’s next? New Lego computer games based on the Minecraft Lego sets?

14. Jake says:

Wouldn’t it be better to do this the other way around? Instead of making Lego uglier by having it look like Minecraft (I really struggle to see why you would need to buy instructions to build a pile of rocks with some grass nearby) why not make Minecraft prettier by having it look like Lego?

15. LuciusAxelrod says:

I’ve always wanted a version of Minecraft with microtransactions. Now I can pay for every block!

16. Barman1942 says:

Leh

Gos

Legos!

17. MythArcana says:

So…we just send in $10 each and wait for 2 years for an unfinished Lego kit to be released then?

18. Walter Heisenberg says:

The Search for More Money
    I never thought I’d begin to loathe indie darlings…

19. Bob Sacamano says:

How is this different from regular legos? I don’t understand the world anymore…

20. Dervish says:

I like how people are acting superior about “lego” as a pluralization when that equally misses the point that LEGO is a brand name and shouldn’t be used as a mass noun at all.

See also: BAND-AID brand adhesive bandages.

• Dervish says:

1) a trademark being genericized has nothing to do with how to pluralize it, only what other products people use the term to refer to
      2) LEGO isn’t even on that list
      3) Band-Aid is on that list, and yet people say “I have 56 band-aids” and not “I have 56 band-aid” (see #1)

I don’t know what you’re attempting, here.

21. Tony M says:

I heard Blizzard is doing the DRM. You won’t be able to play Lego unless you’re logged into battle net. They want to make sure nobody builds something that isn’t one of their pre-approved designs.

22. Ryn Taylor says:

Legos.

Just so you know, half the reason I read RPS is so I can enjoy at all the Britishisms.

23. LostViking says:

How cool would Minecraft be if it had all the Lego bricks?

I love Minecraft, but I do find the selection of shapes a bit limiting. Having arches, cylinders, triangles, tiles and all the good stuff you have in Lego would open up even more possibilities.

Comment on this story