Bigging It Up: Wargame European Escalation

By John Walker on December 5th, 2011 at 10:39 am.

WAR GOES BANG!

R.U.S.E. creators Eugen Systems are nudging closer to releasing their next war-themed RTS, the rather literally named Wargame: European Escalation. It’s due in the first fourth of next year, and it features tanks and bangs and splodes. It’s also rather pleasing on the eye, as is evidenced below with the collecting of five new screenshots. Stare at them at will.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. HexagonalBolts says:

It does look beautiful, but – It’s being released in a couple months and all they have are five screenshots…?

*edit* ok, and two brief trailers on their website, but it still seems like very little two months-ish from release.

• caddyB says:

They gotta escalate their pr efforts!

• Moni says:

Where was the teaser trailer for this screenshot release!?

• Jnx says:

Well this was announced ages ago with a trailer. Also it was supposed to be released in november ’11 but got pushed to next year.

2. Moni says:

I quite like RUSE, and I quite like World In Conflict’s modern day setting, so this looks like an auto-win to me.

WARGAMEFACE.

• Paxmayne says:

Somehow RUSE managed to pass me by, but I absolutely loved World in Conflict and modern day RTS in general.

How did the gameplay in RUSE compare to world in conflict?

• Moni says:

In a vague sense, it actually felt quite similar. The ruse powers are basically the tactical aids, and the general scale and pace of battles are quite similar.

I guess a lot of the similarities come from the fact the games are both just based around infantry, armour, artillery and airplanes. Sort of can’t get too much distinction out of that.

• Moskau50 says:

Yeah, but World in Conflict had a much more direct tactical aid. RUSE cards were all primarily support abilities. TA in WiC is calling in airstrikes, artillery bombardments, and the occasional paratrooper or air-deployed tank drop in a strategic location.

lurkalisk says:

Actually, Ruse operates on a significantly larger scale, and doesn’t really play much like WiC at all.

WiC is mostly a small scale, tactics heavy game. Ruse is genuine macro-heavy strategy at the grandest scale I’ve seen in a real time game. You rarely have a purpose for zooming in far enough to even see the units you command. Ruse also involves base building, unlike WiC.

3. Dominic White says:

RUSE was remarkably good, but nobody played it. The misinformation surrounding it was… well, worthy of the game, including people angrily campaigning against UbiDRM long after the game removed it (before launch, even!), telling people not to buy it for that reason.

Hopefully this one doesn’t get scuppered by those tools.

• Mavvvy says:

Indeed, item 1 funny and true. Item 2 sad but true.

• bigdeadbug says:

The single-player was shockingly bad though. The lack of an editor really peeved me off as well. The multi-player was good but I never got into it enough for it to be worth the RRP at launch. If you can find it cheap its certainly worth trying.

4. Ivan Joukov says:

It’s in closed beta but there’s a NDA that not allows screenshots.

5. UnravThreads says:

Anyone else think it looks just like R.U.S.E.?

• Wezz6400 says:

It’s an updated version of that engine, and while the setting is about 30 years later they’re still going for realism so it looks quite similar. The gameplay is quite different though, the whole ruse system is gone.

But I think the best change is that this game is not published by ubisoft, so no horrible drm. Marketing could be a bit better though, maybe that’ll change in the coming months.

lurkalisk says:

Ruse dumped said DRM. Just used steamy things.

6. Kollega says:

You could make a decent TPS with those graphics, you know. And this is a large-scale RTS game. The future is here, ladies and gentlemen!

The alternate history setting is good too. When oh-so-many games – Call of Duty, first and foremost – try to play up Russians as a genuine threat despite the collapse of the Soviet Union and the complete inadequacy of Russian military that followed in it’s wake, it’s good to see that someone is taking a more sensible approach.

• jRides says:

I hope so – I generally play most RTSes zoomed out as far as the camera will let me, and even then try to mod it so I can zoom the camera out further – you know so I can see what’s going on in the game rather than how pretty my units are. Yet, whenever an RTS is shown (like here) its zoomed in super close (oh look at the detail on this!). Who plays an RTS zoomed in so close you can see a single tank or helicopter on screen?

Still, Ruse was good for that, so fingers crossed.

7. Dana says:

Im looking forward to this one. Seems like World in Conflict on steroids.

8. lamurt says:

red storm rising with modern orbat; looking nice indeed!

9. lordhughes says:

Awesome, like so many people commenting I loved World In Conflict, and R.U.S.E passed me by. I know its only screen shots but this could be promising :)

• sgnl05 says:

There’s also a few trailers and gameplay videos floating around on youtube. Here’s one that gamespot did:

I played the closed beta and while the game still felt quite unfinished in some ways it was definitely promising. A bit like RUSE crossed with Ground Control and Total War multiplayer. The pacing and scale is different from WiC, but as Moni says the unit balancing is quite similar. Infantry beat tanks in towns/ forests, but lose to them in the open, helicopters counter tanks but are countered by AA, which are countered by tanks or infantry, etc.

Certainly one to keep an eye on.

10. cheeley says:

It looks to me like the stretched twig of peace is at melting point

11. Dances to Podcasts says:

Helicopters, like angry windmills.

12. 1q3er5 says:

So sad that there will be no World in Conflict 2

13. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Quality poster in the making. I like it.