The Darkness II Gets 4-Player Co-Op Reveal

By Jim Rossignol on December 6th, 2011 at 2:42 pm.

Not only will it be four-player co-op, but The Darkness II‘s co-op will be “interwoven” with the main story (although that story itself is NOT playable co-op). The co-operative missions apparently branch off from the single player plot and allow the players to explore other environments that are connected to the story of the core game. And there was me think it’d be a mode where we got to control one Darkness tentacle each! Tsk. You can check out the full co-op reveal trailer below.

, , .

1. Koozer says:

Now I want Octodad 2 to feature 8-player coop.

2. Hoaxfish says:

Evil is now defined as “He’s Scottish”

also, wtf is going on with their facial animations? weird-puppet jaw going on

3. Baka says:

Such an enthusiastic voice-actor, such a dead, wooden face…

Lars Westergren says:

I really like 4 player co-op mode. L4D2 and Payday: The Heist have been a regular weekend event with friends. I approve of more of this.

5. CaspianRoach says:

So, two-barrel shotguns can fire four shells without reloading in the world of “The Darkness”?

6. Inigo says:

The Darkness II‘s co-op will be “interwoven” with the main story

…shrieked Jim, adding “HOW ABOUT THAT MASS EFFECT 3, EH?” as his eyes rolled back into his head and he writhed dementedly in a rapidly spreading pool of his own watery vomit.

maninahat says:

I quite like the Witch Doctor character. More games should have playable witch doctors: ones that do cruel, nasty magic, instead of generic lightning, frost and fire ball attacks.

8. tomatojustice says:

Does anyone else think that dialogue was particularly cringe-worthy?

I hope the whole game isn’t that bad, unless it gets laughably bad. Not that I’ll mind too much if sticking a shotgun in someones mouth is as fun as it looks.

9. fyro11 says:

This game looks about as fun as Tentacle Paradise 4. Very.

Day one.

Btw, this game doesn’t seem to be getting much PC love, relatively speaking. Reasons?

10. grundus says:

This facial animation engine has been lifted straight from Deus Ex, surely? Still, The Darkness was fun enough, even though I only played the demo. If I went back to it now after all these (comparatively speaking) next-gen FPSes I’d probably bleed inside, like I do when I choose to play San Andreas over Just Cause 2, but at the time it was fun; I would hope this has moved it on slightly but I must say, it doesn’t look like it has all that much.

Still, 4 player co-op makes a lot of things more fun than they otherwise would be. Not sure about the gimmicky unique power thing, it looks like the same thing but with slightly different ranges. Also, why does the Israeli Spec Ops woman get a shotgun? Hardly that special unless it’s the Vindicator from Alien Swarm, which it isn’t.