Patch Perk: Skyrim Levels Up To 1.3

By John Walker on December 7th, 2011 at 6:29 pm.

Coo, I made a pretty.

Skyrim has received a rather hurried patch 1.3. How do I know this? Because my game of Skyrim just crashed to desktop for no given reason, and on trying to restart it, Steam’s patcher kicked in. Maybe it will fix random crashes to desktop?! It does offer “General stability improvements”, who coincidentally was a man I served under in the army in the 1940s. So have they addressed any of the litany of issues on everyone’s lists? Well, if the books not sitting correctly on the bookshelves was one of yours, then you’re a winner! If not, well, then maybe not so much.

It does, however, somewhat guardedly suggest it fixes the two new issues 1.2 introduced, if “Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly” means “Buffs work again”, and “Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading” means “The dragons no longer fly backward”.

Here’s the epic list in full:

- General stability improvements
– Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
– Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
– Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
– Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
– Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
– Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

Yes. There’s a couple of other bits and pieces we can think of that might belong on that list. Roll on 1.4.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Drake Sigar says:

So basically, we’re back to where we started. Hooray!

• utzel says:

Sadly true. I started with v1.2 and it crashed after a minute. Just patched to v1.3 and behold: It crashed after a minute.
      Gladly the 4gb starter still works.

Smashbox says:

Indeed 1.2 was much crashier for me than 1.0 and 1.1…. here’s hoping I can stop my constant, paranoid F-fiving.

• d34thm0nk3y says:

I F5 everytime I make the most mundane of actions. See herb? F5. Picked herb, F5. Go round corner, F5. It’s even spilled over into other games that don’t even have quicksave -.-

• Kent says:

Not True! Now you can exit menus with the Escape key!

• sassy says:

@D34thm0nk3y: Years of older Elder scrolls games have trained me to do the same, so far Skyrim has been actually really stable for me with the 4GB patch (I usually get a crash every 3-4 hours which is annoying but acceptable) but I still have to do constant quicksaves. I’m bad enough that I actually bind quicksave to one of my mouse buttons.

• Drake Sigar says:

I currently have saved 2,500 times.

2. Unaco says:

Good stuff! Haven’t actually been playing much myself… at least since before the last patch (I was away, then got GalCiv2 Complete on Steam, and generally had some other things) so I never did see any dragons flying backwards. Looking forward to booting this up again, maybe over the weekend.

3. MikeBBetts says:

To be fair, it really bothered me that my bookshelves didn’t look neat and tidy. (And no, this isn’t sarcasm.)

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

It probably isn’t the tidiness issue that they’re fixing with this. It’s more likely the “you can lose all the books you’ve placed on your bookcase thanks to a bug introduced in the 1.2 patch” issue that they’re fixing. Fixing the tidiness would be nice too, though.

• Jumwa says:

Since one of my favourite things to do with Elder Scrolls games is treat them as a fantasy homemaker game where I decorate my place with my collections of organized books, I feel you.

Seeing it mess with my bookshelves was tragical. ) :

Diziet Sma says:

Me too…. first thing I did upon buying a house was to sort out some bookshelves and remove duplicate copies of books I’d amassed. Then I took a screenshot.

True to life though I captioned it “A collection of books I’ll probably never get around to reading.”

• Davie says:

I, too, am happy that my little library in Whiterun will no longer vanish into thin air. All my collected knowledge on the Dwemer, lost…

• paladintom says:

Pre 1.2 all you had to do was place a large book on the bookshelf last which usually held the rest of the books.

• DigitalSignalX says:

The house in Markarth has the most shelves I’ve seen so far, it actually lets you make a library if you so desire (which I do, oh yes). Very tough to find a vol 6 of The Wolf Queen. So while not as needed as other bug fixes, it certainly is quite welcome.

• Syra says:

Visit QASMOKE
      Loot every book in game
      ????
      Profit

• alundra says:

It’d be nice if they patched the rest of the house decoration with a way to put things in place again, if by for some reason you rushed on the way out and did it beside a table that had some nice jars placed on top it, they will fall to the floor with virtually no way to set them as as they were.

Hey maybe a virtual house keeper mod would work wonders!

• IDtenT says:

I wish they’d let you add as many books as which fit. There are only 4 book sizes, so it’s not like the game will have to measure each book.

• ukpanik says:

I tried decorating my home with a few interesting objects…but they rarely stay in their place.
      I think I may have a poltergeist.

• Crescend says:

@DigitalSignalX
      Oh but I think I might have 2 copies of wolf queen part 6, but the only one which has eluded my grasp is the part 1.. Maybe we should form a book club :P
      I’m an incurable book cleptomaniac, I’ve collected 191 unique books thus far (notes and journals not included) and rising, so this patch is appreciated :)

4. Doesn'tmeananything says:

Fingers crossed that this patch won’t need a patch of its own?

5. Phantoon says:

Well, the magic resist thing WAS actually pretty important.

Since they broke it, and all.

Is Conjuration still impossible as a Breton Atronach?

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Gah! That’s me!
      Was it? I was summoning flame atronachs just fine last night…

• Phantoon says:

Ah, then they must’ve fixed it. The rumor going around was that conjuration spells would fail because they were checked against your OWN spell resistance.

Considering how it seemed to get easier/harder depending on the spell resistance I had at the time, and thus seemed to be true, I just abandoned my first playthrough and started over.

6. Hardtarget says:

BethBlog also says they are adding support for Large Address Aware next week so that’s awesome for those of us with over 4 gigs of ram :D

• TODD says:

Awesome, we’re finally at Far Cry 1 levels of technology.

• Unaco says:

That is pretty awesome.

• tehfish says:

Thats really good news, as i can’t play for more than a few minutes without the game crashing otherwise.

• neolith says:

@Hardtarget

More than 4GB will get you nowhere with Skyrim, unfortunately.
      LargeAddressAware means that a 32bit executable can access up to about 3GB of free RAM. Not more. If you want an executable to access even more, it has to be a 64bit exe. And I don’t think Bethesda are going to provide us with that (which is a pity as most people are using a 64bit OS and have way more RAM).

Diziet Sma says:

@Todd pffffft :)

• Abundant_Suede says:

Well, greater than 4gb system ram lets you actually *use* all of that 4gb allowance for the LAA 32 bit exe on 64 bit OS. 4gb or less the .exe wont get the full amount, because of the big chunk bloated modern OS takes.

Still, even the act of going from 2gb to 4gb for the game makes a big difference in stability and the kind of modifications you can make to the game.

phuzz says:

@neolith
      Actually on a 64bit system a 32bit executable with LAA set can access up to 4Gb (see here).
      Still, makes my 8Gb look a bit pointless, good thing it only cost the same £35 I made from selling my 4Gb kit :)

• Zarx says:

Keep in mind that VRAM is included in the amount of RAM the game can use so by default if you have a 1GB video card and Skyrim uses 600MB of that the game can only use arround 1.4GB of system RAM. With LAA it could use the full 1GB VRAM and up to 3GB of main RAM, which helps a lot with modded HD textures etc.

• Danarchist says:

Funny, I spent the morning arguing with a co-worker about the value of installing a 6 core “Bulldozer” CPU in a gaming rig. Most modern games do not use 4 cores yet much less 6. His only response was….”Well what if I want to run a virtual machine in the background while im playing?”.
      Leave it to a penguin head to take something fairly simple and try to make it as difficult as possible. Why the hell would you need a virtual machine on a gaming rig? Playing multiplayer against yourself??

• Martha Stuart says:

I actually use to run a virtual machine in the background, when i used to play Diablo 2. it allowed me to run 2 copies of the game so i could have one character in a password protected game, and use that to mule items to different accounts. I’m guessing its not very common but i have done it.

• DerekG says:

*Maybe* the 4GB patch will inspire me to get out of Steam offline mode. Sad I can fix up this game better and faster than Bethesda with only Google-Fu knowledge. Sucks not knowing how many hours I’ve played though.

7. Blandford says:

Oh god, this is probably going to break every mod I have installed, right?

Also, this reminds me I should probably organize my own bookshelf.

8. protospork says:

I’d never had any bugs involving the bookshelves. And because I’m a man on the internet, I have to conclude that anyone reporting them was imagining things. Stop wasting time on bugs that don’t exist and fix my CTD issues, Bethesda!

Museli says:

My game never CTDs. Quit making things up.

• elnalter says:

“My Xbox never RROD’d, therefore it doesn’t exist!”

• Burning Man says:

I was actually disappointed with Skyrim’s near-complete lack of CTDs. Oblivion taught me to F5 before leaving a cell, F5 before travelling, F5 before any major quest event and generally F5 every 5 minutes. Skyrim made zero use of my skills, and has CTD’ed less than 5 times. Unlike Oblivion, whose necessary play-with-breaks-every-half-hour CTDs I took as part of the gameplay experience.

• Caleb367 says:

Never had a single CTD and I’m a pc gamer.

• mike2R says:

Zero CTDs. My bookshelves work flawlessly.

Basically I blame you lot for dragon skeletons having epileptic seizures.

• Hydrofoil Goat says:

Mine CTD’s every 15 minutes or so. This won’t fix it, but it was nice of them to notice!

yoggesothothe says:

@ Burning Man
      Unfortunately, I get CTDs when I F5 on occasion. At least, I did with 1.2. But then again, I was going on 76 hours at level 72, so all sorts of crazy was happening. Like random explosions happening in random locations nearby every time I would fast travel. Or dragons refusing to land and die.

• mechabuddha says:

Some days I can go whole hours without a CTD. Others it crashes every 15 minutes.

• dahools says:

I used to get lots of CTD randomly when playing, made the .exe large address aware and never had a CTD again.

google “large address aware” click top reply and follow instructions and d/l the tiny file, it may help may not. It takes 30secs to do and what have you lost if it doesn’t work.

Worth a try fixed my probs.

I’m playing skyrim 1.0 for clarification ;)

9. Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

“Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate”

This is the patch I’ve been waiting far too long for.

• tetracycloide says:

Seriously. If I had a dollar for every minute I spent tweaking the AA settings in this game to find the right balance between frame rate and y-axis sensitivity the game would have been free and there might have been some left over for the inevitable DLCs.

• Ruffian says:

me too. I actually thought it was my rig at first until I realized that it was doing it no matter what I set the game to. good to finally have this at least.

10. Nemon says:

I used to like patches like this one.

• UberMonkey says:

What happened? Some kind of joint injury? Possibly a puncture wound?

• oldkc says:

I’m not content with the ‘arrow to the foot issue’ that this patch fixes. Will have to wait till after Christmas till the knee issues are approached

• djbriandamage says:

I used to like patches like this one…

then I took an arrow to the knee.

• JOURN3Y says:

*Skyrim shot* ba-da-bishhhhh

• Phantoon says:

Hopefully the next patch will make Nazeem stop asking me if I get to the Cloud District often when I’m the friggin Thane.

I get tired of killing the guy in every single play through.

• David256 says:

Hey, Phantoon, c’mon now. I know Nazeem is annoying, but the guy owns a farm. That makes him super awesome in Skyrim. You ever heard the song “I’m on a Boat?” Well, Nazeem owns a farm. If you can’t see the parallel, I can’t help you.

I kill him too, though. At least his wife hates him. You know he ain’t gettin’ nothin’ from her.

• Burning Man says:

This discussion ME GUSTA

ffordesoon says:

The problem with killing Nazeem is that NOTHING IS PAINFUL ENOUGH.

• Grygus says:

I allow him to live in a loveless marriage with a harpy. Nothing he can say to me will ever approach deserving that punishment.

ffordesoon says:

@Grygus:

Yes, but what of the harpy? Must she suffer his constant, unctuous, thuddingly unsubtle assertions of his allegedly hard-earned superiority over the proletariat in silence?

• David256 says:

@ffordesson: Haha, it’s hardly in silence. She tells the DOVAHKIIIIIIN a zinger about her husband indulging in all the pleasures of the Jarl’s backside; I’m willing to bet there’s plenty more where that came from. Perhaps Nareem’s disdain for those he deems (“deem” rhymes with “Nareem”) unworthy stems from a very unsatisfying life at home. After all, if he cannot entertain himself with his wife, all he has left is looking down on the lesser folk.

Qazinsky says:

While I agree that Nazeem can be annoying, the first thing I do with every new character when I reach Whiterun is to sneak into Heimskr’s(sp?) house and brutally stab him to death in his sleep, DAMN his yelling gets on my nerves, heard over everyone else’s daily talk when going to/from Dragonreach.

Durkonkell says:

Ah, excellent. Hopefully the game will refrain from corrupting people’s entire save directories now, that would be grand.

The next update for PC is coming next week and will include Large Address Awareness. I understand that this is a good thing as it will allow me to write to people in other cities than Whiterun.

12. Bart Stewart says:

I’m hoping the Core 2 Duo fix will mean I no longer have to run in Win 95 compatibility mode and set the affinity for the second core in Task Manager. A native fix for the “frequent five-second freeze” would be lovely.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

^^ This. This so very very much.

Edit: This is actually the reason why I ended up turning Steam off. One of the patches hooked the .exe so it wouldn’t run without Steam, and Steam insisted that compatibility mode be turned off. This led to a drastic drop in framerate, stability, and the constant freezing.

Once I replaced the .exe and old files and everything and effectively ‘rolled back’ my installation I had Skyrim back, but it was damned annoying.

• The Tupper says:

I’ve done a few runs between Whiterun and Riverwood (i.e. not very far) and so far the Windows XP freezing issue appears to have been fixed. Superb – that was the only issue I was having (apart from the erm, idiosyncratic interface).

13. smi1ey says:

Thank God the 4GB .exe file lets me launch the game without Steam! I’m sure these updates will kill have the mods I have installed otherwise. I’ll wait until a GOOD patch actually comes out before taking the dive.

• protospork says:

I’ve had my Steam client in offline mode since I heard 1.2 was so broken. It will remain offline until I’ve heard 1.3 is not. Thankfully offline mode actually works these days.

• Avish says:

The 4GB mod stopped working with the latest patch, so you probably made a wise choice.

Edit: Even without the mod the game just stopped working.
      Hooray for Bethesda!!!

• jRides says:

It still works fine for me and I’ve updated.

14. Tyshalle says:

Now if only we could get a fix for the fucking dead dragon dropping out of the sky into the middle of Whitefall every damn time I exit a building.

• Quinnbeast says:

Door-slamming shout perhaps? KERRRRR-CHACK.

I haven’t seen that one personally. Most of my dragons do have various physical disabilities however. The one that kept getting skewered on trees was a favourite (damn sticky-weed etc).

15. wisnoskij says:

I am feeling better and better about waiting to play Skyrim until it is in a stable state and probably 1/2 the price of launch.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

I envy you :) It would be lovely to be able to approach this game fresh, as it’s meant to be played and fully patched with a decent UI…

• Alex Bakke says:

In my experience, Skyrim has been stable since launch. There are bugs, but it’s hardly surprising considering the scale of the game. I haven’t run into any gamebreakers yet.

• Jumwa says:

The game has been incredibly stable for me. I’m quite amazed they made such a massive, sprawling game so well.

The only issue I’ve had so far is I can’t get one totally optional side-quest to trigger on my first character, worked on my second just fine. Must’ve squashed a butterfly somewhere.

At launch for me, it’s in a better state than any of Bethesda’s other titles after extensive patching. And the experience of playing with friends, swapping screenshots and stories as we went, and the draw of getting back into the game every time some new development makes me yearn for it, makes it well worth not waiting for a discount.

Hour-wise, I’ve already got way more enjoyment out of it for my money than a dozen typical games I play.

• Wulf says:

@Bakke

The Esbern one is a total gamebreaker if you run into it. It halts the main quest and there’s absolutely no way to properly work around it. You can’t fix it with the console or anything. And they still haven’t patched that to my knowledge.

I ran into this bug and I was a little put out, frankly. I tried every damn thing I could think of to work around it, and I didn’t want to a command to set the quest as complete (thus missing out on a bunch of content). Instead, I checked the Nexus, and sure enough someone had figured it out and provided a fix.

Bless ‘em.

But yeah, anyone who hasn’t encountered the Esbern bug lucked out.

• Phantoon says:

I lucked out, since I have no idea what bug you’re talking about.

In fact, I’ve had a ridiculously stable playthough so far- one hundred hours, now!

So of course when it does finally break it’s gonna burst into flames, crash into the sea, and ask me if I’ve been to the cloud district lately.

• Xan says:

@Wulf.

I had that bug, fixed it by extracting Skyrim – VoicesExtra.bsa . It seems the bug means that some of the voice files weren’t properly extracted and the quest can’t continue because it can’t play one of his lines.

You can use some bsa extractor tool designed for Oblivion to fix the bug.

• GeneralSalad says:

I can also vouch for what xan says about fixing the esbern bug. I had the bug happen where he wouldnt open the door, did a quick google search found a possible solution (extracting the sound files) and it worked perfectly after that.

16. Mulberry831287542 says:

I’m still seeing broken bookshelves and lack of multi-threading support on core duo despite the executable being patched to 1.3. Can anyone confirm any of these fixes?

• RollingZeppelin says:

Ya, the bookshelf that broke before the patch is still broken. :(

17. Celtti says:

I’m one of those saint-like few who never had any problems what-so-ever with Skyrim. In fact, I’ve logged close to 80 hours without a single crash or game stopping glitch.
    though once, I saw a dragon flying backwards into the side of a mountain! That’s it though.

And now it will not run. Touché?

• melmothulhu says:

Yup, seems to have broken my previously stable install too.

Clicking on the Play button tries to load the game but immediately returns to the Play Game menu.

18. Blackcompany says:

They used to release stable games. Until the lead developer took an arrow to the knee….

• pilouuuu says:

In fact I think they’ve never released a really stable and bug-free game. At least they’re better than Obsidian.

• Wulf says:

Not really. It’s common knowledge in the modding community that New Vegas was far, far less buggy than Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and needed far, far fewer bugfixes. So few, in fact, that a simple compilation of quest bug fixes just thrown together by the community got done what needed to be done. Rather than the epic bugfix mods of yore that Fallout 3 and Oblivion required.

The reason for this is that Obsidian actually hired Oscuro: The guy behind Oscuro’s Oblivion Overhaul. And he worked a lot of what he knew into New Vegas, including how to make Gamebryo not shit. So New Vegas fared pretty well, really. I know people like their memes, but this one is damaging to Obsidian because it’s just delusional.

There were a few bugs in New Vegas, yes, but it was nowhere near the horror that Fallout 3 was at release (I’ve never seen a bug as bad as that one in Fallout 3 where 30% of the map would cause an irreparable freeze to the game if you stepped into it, and it took them over a month to get an official fix out for that.)

And like I said, modders know this. Just ask over at the Nexus. Those guys know what they’re talking about.

Really, I’d take them to know what they’re talking about more than the average person does. And I’m not exactly a neophyte either, I spent my time getting my hands dirty in the Creation Kit, too, and it was fun seeing just how many things Obsidian had to jury-rig to fix Bethesda’s bugs. There was a bunch of complaining in the script. >_> “Well, we can’t do this without Gamebryo flipping a shit, so this is our workaround.”

So yeah, whilst it’s a fun meme, there’s little truth to it.

• Brun says:

The most glaring NV bugs were really more related to Steam/Steamworks integration. Not terribly surprising as it was really Bethesda’s first foray into Steamworks.

Gundato says:

Wulf: Didn’t NPCs have a tendency to rotate their heads 360 degrees for fun? Among many other bugs?

And yes, NV was a lot less buggy than F3 in many respects. Because said features were already patched with F3. That is like saying that Tribunal was less buggy than Morrowind.

What Obsidian spent most of their time on were assets and quests. And isn’t that what the modders fixed with the unofficial patches?

That being said: Obsidian gets massive credit in my book. I was expecting NV to reformat everyone’s computer or something else hilarious. The fact that they managed to make a semi-functional game (and that they provided the needed support) is a really good sign.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

I had a good one in New Vegas. Couldn’t turn left or right. I could strafe, but not turn.

Damn, wish I’d kept that save game. Was more interesting than the actual game.

• Jumwa says:

Looking at the wiki pages for Fallout 3 and New Vegas bugs, New Vegas’ is much longer. Which is in keeping with the experience of myself, everyone I know, reviewers and the game community at large.

Despite using all the tools of Fallout 3, New Vegas was just buggier.

19. hypercrisis says:

How is such a high profile release being so consistently broken? Does anyone know if these issues are extending to consoletoys too?

20. CilindroX says:

“General Stability Improvements” -> this is why I’ll have your children, John

21. ulix says:

So no major changes?

He was my favorite officer when I was drafted, would be sad if he wasn’t included here like in so many other games.

22. Velvetmeds says:

Over 100 hours, stable and hardly any bugs… Guess i’m lucky. Just now with this new patch, i was playing, exited, updated, went back and it’s as if nothing happened except a slightly better framerate (im using a dual core). Mods are still there and working (over 1gb of them). No issues at all.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, you’ve been lucky. I’ve seen a whole bunch of issues. But… like I said, not all of them were bad. I was quite fond of the talking wolves, actually.

Less fond of my bookcase spitting books at me.

23. pilouuuu says:

Will it by chance, fix the “took an arrow to the knee” meme? Really, why couldn’t they create better NPCs? Every character in this game looks the same for me, especially those wandering in towns. I also would like a system where they do more than just wander around. Believable A.I. behaviour this is not. Maybe in Elder Scrolls VI?

At least I hardly had any CTD in this game, unlike Fallout 3 when it was released. They improved the engine a bit, but I really expect them to create a new engine from scratch for their next one.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, I’m waiting for a “Shut the damn guards up!” mod. And then, later on, a “Contextual, intelligent guards.” mod.

I mean, seriously.

“You are the dragonborn, we praise you, we love you! …what do you want… cat.”
      “Ah, so you’re the Harbinger of the Companions. What do you do, fetch the mead?”
      “We used to be adventurers like you, then I and my clone army took ten thousand arrows to their respective knees.”

I also dislike that they’re psychic and they know exactly what I’m good at all the time, what I’ve done, where I’ve been, and they know this the same day. All guards seem to be immediately updated on this, too. They come over as some kind of hive network. It is bothersome, I won’t lie.

Then again, there’s a lot of dialogue that needs context-work badly.

“Oh, we’re sorry about the missing shrine of Tal–”
      “But it’s right there!”
      “Talos worship is banned and–”
      “But the shrine is right there! It’s all okay now.”
      “Talos is just a man, not a god, no matter how much the Stormcloaks may wish otherwis–”
      “BUT THE STORMCLOAKS RULE SOLITUDE NOW.”
      “–so there is no shrine, go worship a real god inste–”
      “THE. SHRINE. IS. RIGHT. THERE.”
      “–you can pray to any of the divines however you want, blah blah blah.”
      “Wait. Are you pulling TNG-style four/five lights mind-breaking shenanigans with me? You will not succeed! THE SHRINE IS RIGHT THERE.

• Mist says:

@Wulf: I know I shouldn’t be reading Skyrim comment threads since I really dislike spoilers, but still: a spoiler warning for the Talos stuff would’ve been nice.

• Ed123 says:

@mist: What spoiler?

• suibhne says:

That’s no spoiler.

• Shih Tzu says:

It’s a space station!

• Prime says:

Wulf, I have to ask: since you’ve done nothing but moan about the game since the very first teaser image was put up on RPS…why are you even playing it? You were clearly never going to enjoy it so is this some kind of masochistic torture you’re putting yourself – and us – through?

• Josh W says:

There’s a pretty common problem; if you think about what you dislike about a game, you think of something else to add to your complaints/analysis on the internet, if you think about something you like about the game you, … go play the game!

The main exception is when you loose your disk or run out of large enough chunks of free time to play a game, and write longing nostalgic posts about it, or you become some kind of games journalist.

• Mist says:

@”what spoiler”: I’ve played the game for a good 100 hours now, and he’s referencing something that appears to be a pretty significant plot-point in one of the quest lines, that I haven’t encountered yet. That fits my definition of “spoiler”.

24. Wulf says:

As is always the case with Gamebryo (or whatever they’re calling it now) games, Skyrim is a buggy mess in a lot of regards. Still, I’ve had some funny bugs occur.

My personal favourite is wolves that can apparently talk and are non-hostile. I was walking around Dawnstar once and I was entertained as one had a particularly long conversation with a shopkeeper before wandering off. If there are bugs that should never be fixed, then it’s bugs like that, because they’re just far, far too funny.

(They also talk when you’re in combat “Did you hear something?!”)

I’m just waiting for this bug to occur with a dragon. I’d be terribly amused to see a dragon just hanging around a chilling somewhere. Well, one who isn’t Paarthurnax, of course, anyway. It’s probably going to happen because whatever bug affects this likely hits all critter types. Though the occurrence with which it happens to wolves is bizarrely common…

25. aircool says:

Have they added a colourblind option yet? Oh wait… That’s BF3.

26. rustybroomhandle says:

Been playing about two hours since the patch and have to say the Core 2 Duo performance thing they did is doing amazing things for my Skyrim happy fun times.

Wallace says:

Same for me too. The lag spikes seem to be gone and my 50+ hour saves no longer take ages to load or just crash, so hurrah!

27. vecordae says:

The 1.3 Mod for Teh Skyrimbs has not fixed the game’s most glaring bug: Lack of Lydia Matrimony. My immersive fantasy gaming experience will not be complete until I can fake marry my favorite functionally retarded combat wench.

• Grubblik says:

get yourself so you can see Lydia, press tilde to bring up the console, click on Lydia

type:

prid 000a2c94

press return and type

addfac 19809 1

and press return again. Job done. You may now marry Lydia

• vecordae says:

This is, word for word, what my relationship councilor told us when Lydia and I went in for our meeting earlier today. Funny old world.

• Ed123 says:

Sadly, this doesn’t work on bears.

• Hydrofoil Goat says:

Yep, I married Lydia. Left her at home though

28. Megadyptes says:

is there going to be a new article for every patch?

• David256 says:

Yes, because everyone wants to know when all the bugs will be magically fixed.

29. Nemon says:

I think I know that the shop owner in Markarth isn’t Arnleif by now. And whatever they call treasures, I sometimes call junk.

30. Shandrakor says:

I’m a bit of an odd duck around here, I suppose. I haven’t played ANY of what I will forever refer to as ‘Those Games about Scrolls'; it’s something I’ve been meaning to get around to for a couple of decades. Given the assorted issues I’m reading about, it seems like the right thing to do might be to wait for a few years and then pick it up at a Steam sale. Or maybe I’ll just wait for 6….though I won’t see the backwards-flying dragons, apparently.

• AyeGill says:

Scrolls? That’s the new game from those minecraft guys, right?

Stellar Duck says:

You know, I’m fine with them patching the game.

However I’m not fine at all with the consistent ignoring that I’ve set the game to not auto update. I had basically a bug free experience on the release version, so I don’t really want to update until they sort their stuff out. Hence I ticked ‘Do not update’. I don’t want them to introduce new bugs, as they have done.

Why must they keep ignoring my pleas to not mess with my game. At this point I’ve considered if it would solve things to just find an unpatched version of a seedy site, but I reckon that might introduce other problems.

So, Steam and Bethesda, please respect my wish not to patch my game, damn it!

• Arglebargle says:

My experiance is that whenever Steam updates itself, it resets all the games to ‘keep up to date’. It did this to me on a game that couldn’t read old saves on updating. I think you have to change the .exe file to read only to get it to stay the same. I have a saved 1.0 Skyrim.exe file, just in case.

32. Soon says:

I had it rain bandits today. I think a dragon had attacked a group of them nearby and hit so hard they flew miles into the air and just happened to land in the area I was in. Unless they used up all their Scrolls of Icarian flight.

33. MythArcana says:

Love the game, hate the engine. To say that the Creation Engine is new is like saying grilled chicken is now a gourmet snack. It’s Gamebryo back in action with the same sack of tricks, I don’t care what they want to call it. Regardless, the PC community will fix this baby up over time as they have already. Give Skyrim approximately 1 year of time and grab the GotY version for $9.99; it will be the best 3D RPG experience to date once the dust settles.

• AyeGill says:

But how oh how do you sustain the torment of everyone talking about it and not being able to play it!? I originally planned to wait for a price drop. I lasted two days before i bought it.

34. Yosharian says:

What about fricking Quick Reflexes… dammit.

35. heebejeebes says:

I guess I have the magic hardware\software configuration because the ONLY problem Ive had with this game is books disappearing from shelves

36. Shooop says:

This is getting downright silly. But at least they are patching it on a regular intervals unlike another major developer we know…

37. ShamelessQcCa says:

For those who experience Crash and/or Freeze. Disable FXAA, it did a MIRACLE for me. Skyrim just about never crashes with it disabled.

• kindawaiting says:

how do u disable it?

• ShamelessQcCa says:

PC ONLY: Open the Launcher, click “Options”. Click the “Advanced…” button, FXAA is there in the new windows.

38. Martha Stuart says:

Dammit!!, reply fail. well ill just tell you my life motto instead.

“Everyone has a plan, until you get punched in the face” (Mike Tyson)

39. Pyrosity says:

“Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate”
    If that does anything to fix the annoyingly slow vertical looking compared to horizontal, I’m very happy.

40. kindawaiting says:

Well im kinda frustrated at the moment. This patch has obviously fked me over mainly because now when i press play all it does is just load the game and before entering the main menu, just disconnect from skyrim all together. All i can hear is the epic music from the bethesda logo which is now a black screen only to await my sudden crash. And i have tried fixing my sound and updating Nvidia but nothing really works. Come on Steam how can a game get worse through patching?

• AyeGill says:

Because obviously bethesda sucking at patching games is steam’s fault

• kindawaiting says:

i guess im just kinda annoyed, i want a way to fix this cos i got nothing to do for a week hahahaha.

41. johnweythek says:

My friend and i each have a computer with the same GPU and his quad core is slower than my quad core and he has half the ram i have but his fps are way better than mine when we both play on max settings. However he has glitches with learning words and other quests where my glitches CTD to where i’ve worn the letters off my F5 key AND instead of backward flying dragons i have flying horses. that was maybe the funniest thing i saw in the game.. To get great frames i have everything at max with shadows at low because they look like crap anyway. Only a bother near fires and when you notice the sun shift. Also i saw that archer faendal who i didn’t help get that chick in riverwood or something walking out of my house (is my wife having an affair? as long as she keeps that coin and homemade pies comin)

42. ultam440 says:

So I’m guessing they didn’t fix my game breaker from Companion quest bug. Purity of Revenge where he wont give you the quest upon returning to Dragonbreach just because you finished the cave before getting the quest? -.-

43. ShamelessQcCa says:

Maybe you people should stop complaining about bugs. Tell people about it so that they and Bethesda are aware, but stop complaining. You don’t know shit about game programming, you’d be drowned in bugs and glitches even when programming a simple Pac-Man or Tetris game. If you’d try to make a game of the size of The Elder Scroll, you’d end-up depressed, burnt out, and you’d end up killing yourself or giving up. And venerating Bethesda for what they make and you’d forgive them the few bugs.

• ultam440 says:

your right, but when whole quest lines are broken just because you did a cave/fortress or whatever, before you got the quest, there’s a problem. its a game breaker when u finish the cave hours ahead of time and start doing the quest line stopping in between to do other things, but then return to quest line right before getting the quest that’s “broken” and not wanting to go back 10+ hours. It’s a game breaker and completely destroyed the game where i was like not wanting to play anymore….

• ShamelessQcCa says:

Hopefully Bethesda will end up fixing most of those bugs, but it might not apply to your current save. Meanwhile, you could try searching in Google “Skyrim [nameofthequest]” there’s quite often people talking about what console commands they used to fix that particular quest (PC only). I did it a two times uptodate.

• ultam440 says:

Oh trust me, I’ve tried just about everything to make it work. Tried skipping to next quest via commands, tried going to cave and resurrecting the guys you need to kill, tryed making questgiver hostile and friendly to gain quest. Nothing seems to work for me. i gave up. My Game Breaker.