The Secret World Reveals What’s For Desert

By John Walker on December 7th, 2011 at 10:17 am.

Cheer up, it's only the end of the world.

A new trailer for The Secret World is out. For some reason it’s only been given to Gamespot, because if there’s one way to advertise your game, it’s to limit it to one website. Fortunately they’ve put it on their YouTube channel, so we can all enjoy! This one reveals a new location – the perhaps not too enigmatic sounding Scorched Desert. Oooh, plains of sand you say? That’ll save on graphics. But wait! As much as it might be brown, it’s pretty detailed. Plus, Egypt is always more interesting when it’s suffering from around ten plagues.

The game’s not out until April next year, which is officially annoying. But we’re sending daily death threats to FunCom and their families until we get access to the beta, so we can have a good explore. Meanwhile, Adam zipped over to their studios to have a good go at it a couple of weeks back, and you can read his findings here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

I didn’t notice that EA was involved in this until now… are we expecting anything like Origin exclusivity?

• D3xter says:

Not sure, would probably depend on their contract with EA, CryTek/Crysis 1+2 were released over the “partnership program” for instance.

• DClark says:

Star Wars The Old Republic doesn’t require Origin, so I doubt Secret World will either. Origin did do a ‘digital deluxe edition’ of SWTOR though which allowed you to get some of the collector’s edition digital extras for $20 over the price of the normal digital edition, so they might do something like that.

• John Walker says:

Apparently not, as this is an EA Partners thing. I can’t remember if that’s confirmed though.

• wccrawford says:

That’s worrisome. I was going to buy the game, but now I have to wait and see if Origin is involved or not, first. -sigh-

• AchronTimeless says:

Same, I’m not letting Origin get its claws into my system. This is probably the only MMO I’ve ever been excited about trying. WoW was too cartoony, everything else was just running around smacking elves and such into the ground, and Eve… well all you have to do is read RPS to see what a mess that’s been. This has hope though, but not if it requires Origin.

2. Crescend says:

I’d really want to love this game, but I’m oh so terribly scared that the combat is going to be boring hotkey-smashing..

• John Walker says:

It’s worth reading the previews. From what I’ve seen, combat involves a lot of running around and dodging, etc.

3. TheApologist says:

Someone needs to ban the ‘monster roaring wordlessly at the camera’ shot. Other than that, this is still looking intriguing.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Amen. So tired of unimpressive roaring monsters.

• bear912 says:

Far more interesting if the camera is inside the monster’s mouth, looking out, a la Natural Selection 2. That way, instead of the monster roaring at the camera, it’s the camera roaring out of a monster!

4. JackShandy says:

I don’t know about the game, but that title screen is fantastic. The music and the fuzzy title – perfect trashy twilight zone style.

5. Ralphomon says:

I’m getting kinda excited about The Secret World. The prospect of being eaten by Shoggoths has never been so appealing.

6. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

I generally prefer single-player experiences (Left4Dead notwithstanding), but the Secret World is the first MMO that’s really tempting me. Judging from some of the previous comments on this site, it looks like I’m not the only one in this position. The collective piecing together of intricate plots borrowing elements from various mythologies strikes me as far more intriguing than grinding, raiding and loot gathering.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

If only they’d release a singleplayer version… Just nerf all the need-a-huge-party monsters and go!

• The Pink Ninja says:

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It looks wonderful, creative, pretty, original… and like the MMO aspects will hold it back.

Still, I am willing to give it a go. Hopefully the content and maybe a good RPS guild will make up for shitty combat, obligatory MMO zone design and grind.

• TensaiBoy says:

Yeah really hope it’s ‘solo-able’ for the most part.

It’s so far off?? Ohhh, they better hurry up, need me some Longest Journey fix!

• Buttless Boy says:

This, yes. There’s been nothing (and I really wish Adam had asked about this in the Big Honkin’ Interview) to indicate that the MMO-ness will be anything but a detriment to the world and the gameplay. It sounds absolutely fascinating, but it will be miserable with a thousand people screaming all over my screen for buffs, parties, and trades.

• sneetch says:

Yeah, I’d like to play through it “co-op” with 2-3 friends, I hope to hell they make it all scalable so we won’t find ourselves at level cap unable to progress unless we find another 6 or 21 or 36 people who want to play when we do like most other MMOs.

@Buttless Boy
      Not to mention the inevitable idiots who think they’re the first people to discover the /dance or /fart emotes and insist on sharing the fact that they’re THE FUNNEST THINGS EVAR!!!

• Colton says:

I’ll give you 10 to 1 odds that Secret World starts off amazing and within 3 months they “Nerf all that reading and stuff” after too many kids complain.

However I’m willing to be happily surprised and hope to get at least 2 or 3 good months of play out of it before that happens

7. Vagrant says:

Complete aside, but that screenshot reminds me of the desert cave from Chrono Trigger.

8. Phantoon says:

Scorched Earth is a better Scorched.

Well, I think so.

9. Josh W says:

For some reason that desert sand reminds me of custard.

It’s also funny, a few years ago I’d be like “ooh awesome, are they going to deal with egypt’s complex religious history in a really interesting way”. But now that’s sort of been eclipsed for me by wishing they’d put something in there towards the amazing stuff that’s happening there politically. They are both tricky things to get right, but the former seems a lot easier now in comparison.

10. Wulf says:

I don’t know why but I can’t become at all excited about this game. It just seems like it would have been better served by a single-player game, as what I’ve seen thus far doesn’t imply the sorts of mad risks that Guild Wars 2 is taking. And somehow, the mundanity of ‘kill ten zombies’ is only compounded by its closeness to actual reality for me, personally speaking.

Not to mention that my sceptical nature would be working overtime on suspension of disbelief, which it wouldn’t be with an obviously not-Earth world. I have less trouble with Atomic Robo than I do with this, and again, that’s due to the realism on offer. It expects me to believe that there could be a world, exactly like ours, but with all this going on and no one ever noticing, ever. Not even in this digital age of the Internet – not one of these ‘truths’ slipping out.

And again, what I’ve seen is of the kill ten zombies variety.

I don’t know, I just like being able to behold the truly fantastic. And I feel that the fantastic elements of this world are suffering for a convoluted plotline. This is why I suspect that Ragnar is not quite as involved in this as he could be. It’s hard to describe how I feel about The Secret World, and even more so difficult to put into words, but it feels… dishonest? I don’t know if I have another word for it. It’s using a convoluted plot to hide a pretty average, modern day tale of impossible conspiracy theories.

I could be wrong, but I can’t see this pulling me away from what I’m already playing, or what I plan on playing. When I have the obviously fantastic nature of Guild Wars 2, well… that just sits with me better. So I’ll be there. I suppose that this is all preference though and there will be people who’ll prefer the complete familiarity of this, but really? It just seems boring. This feels like it’s going for the Left 4 Dead sort of feel, as opposed to doing something utterly more silly, impossible, and just… yes, fantastic. An example from Valve in regards to that would be Portal 2.

I just can’t see myself enjoying this.

“Kill ten zombies then use the magical reality fixer whilst we go and haxx0r the world satellite networks so that they’re not seeing any of this, ever.”

There’s a reason why they don’t do Doctor Who on this scale. And the only time that it ever happened Moffat had to clean it up by erasing it from reality. (Poor man. You’re a terrible person, RTD.) Usually the suspension of disbelief in Who is borne of it being on such a small scale that these things could remain hidden. Or it’s on alien worlds where they can go truly nuts.

But on this scale? I don’t know. I’d kind of need to know how they’re hiding all this. My scepticism would flare up to unacceptable levels, and I just wouldn’t be able to enjoy it.

It just feels like a big con. It’s weird.

And that’s why I prefer games not being set on our little globe. It’s a pretty boring place, as we’ve known forever, and this is why we engage in escapism in the first place. I don’t want to go to another earth unless the other earth is a mad, crazy place.

On a more personal note, I suppose it also seems depressing and counter to escapism to hide the fantastic nature of a world. If all this is really going on, on such a massive scale, then you might as well tell everyone about it. That way you don’t have to use Magic Wands of Anti-Scepticism +50 in order to do all these things without the rest of the world knowing.

On that note, I’d totally be up for an Atomic Robo RPG.

11. BathroomCitizen says:

Please, take my credit card information, I wanna buy you now!