The Ultimate Battle? Dragons Vs. Unicorns

By John Walker on December 7th, 2011 at 3:22 pm.

I'm so proud of my job.

I have this widget that pops up when I get an email, telling me the subject title. I’m sure you do too. I’m not special. An email just arrived, and that subject read, “Dragons Vs. Unicorns”.

If this was going to be one of the 870 emails about iOS games we get every day, I was going to cry. And beat up whoever sent it. But no! While of course it IS for iOS, it’s also coming out on PC! I can legitimately write about a game called Dragons Vs. Unicorns, which is clearly going to be the best game of all time. And they can quote me.

I mean, I’m writing this before I’ve read anything about the game, and before I’ve watched the trailer. I’m currently too excited by the name “Dragons Vs. Unicorns” to focus on anything other than writing about how excited I am about the name “Dragons Vs. Unicorns”. I mean, surely there’s no better combinations? Chairs Vs. Waterwheels? Nope. Carparks Vs. Butterflies? Close, but it’s not there. I think DvU is obviously going to be brilliant.

What the hell was that?

First of all, wow.

Second of all, isn’t this Bat Vs. Fox Vs. Turtle Vs. Bunny? In slo-mo. The Dragon and Unicorn appear to be inactive generals, watching from their fairy tale castles.

Thirdly, did that fox’s head come right off?

Fourthly, what?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Buttless Boy says:

“VS SHOP”

Oh dear.

2. sneetch says:

Cat surely, not a fox(?) I don’t know. I’m confused.

3. Commenter says:

I felt genuinely bored. ON THE INTERNET. How is that possible, damn it?

4. Reynoldio says:

Plants vs Zombies vs Swords & Soldiers – this can’t fail to be amazing

5. lasikbear says:

The trailer seemed to dragon

6. Blackcompany says:

FUS DO RAH!
    Dragon wins.
    Nuff said.

7. Llewyn says:

Why does the unicorn keep wagging its tail and panting? I bet the project pilot was called Dragons vs Poodles until they saw how bad their poodle animation was. “Damn it, Bob. Stick a horn on it and call it a unicorn.”

8. MadTinkerer says:

Do the unicorns have Fluttershy on their team? Because then the dragons wouldn’t stand a chance.

• Bhazor says:

“I promise that though we shall not shrink to the enemies force, that we shall not hesitate to defend Equestria, that we shall stand strong. I promise we shall not deploy the first Sonic Rainboom.”

9. InternetBatman says:

It looks a little cumbersome. There’s a reason Swords and Soldiers automated as much as it did.

10. Dizzard says:

I like how the bunny just walked off and let the unicorn get the stuffing beat out of it.

11. mentor07825 says:

Will there be infinite dragons?

12. yhancik says:

And I’m afraid that’s exactly what they want with this “wacky” association. It’s like making a short film about a pirate who also is a zombie ninja to make sure you’ll be featured on BoingBoing as “the best thing ever”.

</cynical>

• Bhazor says:

Call me cynical but this has “lets get the ironic bronies and Skyrim players” all over it. But then I’m sick of the whole internet brand of humour which consists of just picking nouns out of a hat.

13. Shpydir says:

The animations are surprisingly good for a game that gets the speed of their parallax layers wrong.

14. Bhazor says:

This looks exactly like every single iPhone game I’ve ever seen (except Infinity Blade). Can’t explain it theres something about the awkward quasi Flash floatyness of the characters on the background and the juddery scrolling.

15. pmanpman says:

I want my 3 minutes back, at least I know not to buy this

16. Moraven says:

So Swords & Soldier that involves a lot of touch and stretching to move units. Meh Lots of games like this (Heck, even had Civilization type 4 years ago on my Blackberry).

Comment on this story