Mimimi’s Tink Wins Exciting Award!

By Jim Rossignol on December 8th, 2011 at 1:52 pm.

Nope, it's the colourfulest.
Actually, if I am honest, it’s quite a boring award, what with it being Best Project 2012 at games industry networking event, Game Connection, which was taking place in Paris this week. But that’s not to say it’s not worthwhile – indeed, it nudged me into posting two lovely trailers for the action platformer, Tink, which you can see below. The absurdly-named developers Mimimi say of the game: “Tink is a 3D action adventure game set in Tinkerworld, where everything can be built from basic materials as long as the idea behind it is strong enough. Cities, forests, mountains and seas are crafted from nothing more than color, paper and glue.” Which sounds a lot like how we made RPS! Anyway, the game looks exquisitely lovely, and might actually be the most colourful game ever made. Seems like that’s deliberate.

Tink is apparently destined for Steam sometime next year, if Mimimi can raise the money they need. I suspect they will.

, , .

1. julianbenson says:

It looks strangely edible

2. Hmm-Hmm. says:

More colours than I’ve ever seen!

… I’m missing the brown, though. And a bit more grey, perhaps?

• Elltot says:

Yeah, not “gritty” or “urban” enough for my liking.

• Premium User Badge lasikbear says:

I really want the guy that did the Diablo 3 screenshot super dark retouches to do this whole trailer.

3. Ondrej says:

And I always thought that RPS was created out of nothing but pure love. Oh well.

• Premium User Badge Llewyn says:

Yes, but you need something to hold the bits of pure love together. RPS went for colours, paper and glue while sister site RPSM opted for nails. It all depends what results you’re aiming for.

4. Jackablade says:

Looks very Neverhood, which can only be a good thing. The play-dough aesthetic really needs to be used more often.

• Wulf says:

Yes! This is exactly what I thought. Except plasticine rather than play-dough.

5. db1331 says:

I liked the grey in the beginning of the video, but what’s up with all the bright shit that started popping up everywhere? That looked gay. Also, I couldn’t help but notice the lack of chest-high walls. Where am I supposed to crouch while attempting to make witty comments and blind-firing at aliens?

• Urthman says:

And could we get some electric guitars in that soundtrack? Acoustic instruments are so pretentious.

• Wulf says:

IRE.

Your parodies make Katia sad.

I think these parodies hit too close to home because there are far too many gamers who’d agree with that without realising it is a parody. :P

6. Premium User Badge MonkeyMonster says:

very similar to paint/colour to free the city etc from grey evil peeps as de blob on wii…
    which is/was a very fun game so bring it!

• Gnoupi says:

Yes, that was my thought as well. Great game, very cheerful, De blob.

7. Skabooga says:

Garish? I was too busy bursting with color to look up the meaning of the word.

8. Enikuo says:

What Dreams May Come the video game!

9. Italia says:

Looks like a game for a twelve year old.

• Gnoupi says:

…at heart.

• Wulf says:

Because past a certain age you’re no longer allowed to enjoy the wonderment of a thing as simple as this. Except we all do. And if we don’t, then we bloody well all should.

You don’t know what you’re missing out on, you person-who-acts-like-that-stereotype-that-everyone-has-of-accountants-in-their-head-but-isn’t-actually-accurate-even-though-it-does-serve-the-purpose-of-conveying-a-person-who-has-no-sense-of-joy-beyond-playing-with-numbers-which-sounds-a-bit-like-one-or-two-people-around-these-parts-actually-but-I-digress you.

Really. I never got this idea that once you reach a certain age, you have to be a boring old sadsack. The best fathers in the world defy this notion.

• Acerbjorn says:

This is definitely a reply fail.

10. Mctittles says:

Love the art style. Few things are off, like the poor looking character animations and control. If they work on polishing it up before release it looks like it could be a great game.

11. Vexing Vision says:

I love the art-style, but game-mechanic wise, this looks incredibly boring.

“Do not progress linear path before hitting the button.”
    “Shoot color at switch to make bad creatures move or stop.”

Hmm.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Yes, there’s a risk that the game will fail on bland gameplay, but the video is labeled “prototype demonstration” and it looks like the video comes from a tutorial-style intro, so there’s hope.

I’d also like a good story with great characters in a game like this, so I’m slightly worried on that front too. The main character seems a bit bland despite all the colour.

But if it should fulfil its promise, this could be great!

12. pipman3000 says:

what is this gay shit give me more gray-brown and big titted alien bitchz are you trying to make me and my broskis into faggots dont mess with me my CoD clan will kill you irl

• pipman3000 says:

once again the french devs try to destroy the gamer world with their france

• Wulf says:

I full well realise that that was a parody, but I’m still trying to maul you with the sheer strength of my ire-filled gaze right now. Through the Internet.

Look, if an angry tiger manifests behind you within the next few hours and proceeds to tear you to shreds, you’ve only got yourself to blame.

13. Urthman says:

Seriously, though, this is so beautiful and charming I can hardly believe it’s a real thing.

14. oldkc says:

Where’s Zool?…. or Cool Spot.

I feels it needs a character of a distinctly alternate personality to the surroundings, to add irony and ridicule. Without that, its a bit like the morning after a drinking session mixed with a play doh’ chow down.

15. Wulf says:

So much plasticine.

Well, that does look interesting, and I definitely approve. A colourful 3D platformer… when was the last time we had one of those that wasn’t a remake?

It’s been so long I think that I can barely remember.

(I think that’s why I’m all over this sort of thing. This is the sort of thing we never get on the PC. But with games like this and Pirates of New Horizons, that’s changing a bit. And for the better.)

16. Willie Trombone says:

De Blob / Epic Mickey meets Cargo? Looks lovely, anyway. Not sure at all about all this “Hold RB to go eveywhere!” and “Do what the autohint says to win!” stuff though. If you’re going to build a big beautiful environment like that I’d like the freedom to jump around it however and wherever I please, thankyou.

• Wulf says:

Ya, I’ll concur with that. Hopefully those drawbacks are solely indicative of the holding-hands one might expect of a beginning/tutorial area, eh?

17. Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The absurdly-named developers Mimimi

They hired Beaker as a branding consultant.