Now Proximal: At A Distance

By Jim Rossignol on December 8th, 2011 at 1:12 pm.

Terry Cavanagh’s extraordinary first-person co-op puzzle game, At A Distance, is now available to download for free. You’ll need two networked PCs side by side to play it with a friend or helpful acquaintance. I played it with an Alec, as you can read here. We found it to be something quite special, demanding both considered co-operation, spatial thinking, lateral thinking, inside-out thinking, and boiled thinking, fresh from the pot. It’s remarkably atmospheric, too, and goes a long to way towards showing how minimal first-person visuals can be, while still telling you everything you need to know.

, , .

1. ran93r says:

but now I can’t get Bette Midler out of my head, should have been called From A Distance and be done with it.

2. Deano2099 says:

How tough is this? Would trying to play it with someone who doesn’t game much and found Portal a bit too confusing be an exercise in frustration?

Harlander says:

How well will this work over the Internet?

• Brendy_C says:

“Now for the question I always ask about games designed to be played by multiple people close together, each on their own PC:

How well will this work over the Internet?”

Harlander says:

You seem to have answered the last six words of my question; that’s the information I was looking for, I suppose.

To follow: why not?

(The answer: because you have to look at the other dude’s screen. I wonder if this’ll run under Wine…)

• Qazi says:

It worked well with Hamachi and TS3. You just have to be extra descriptive in chatting to each other. Be especially liberal and inventive with this during the finale.
      However you can just swap roles and play it again as the other half of the brain to experience this first hand.

• Prodirus says:

Just finished it with a friend over the internet, using Skype to communicate. Worked pretty well, but like Qazi said, you’re going to have to be extra descriptive about your environment.

From my experience, only the right player needs to know what the left players environment/screen is like. Left brain doesn’t need to look at the right brain at all.

HermitUK says:

If someone could just mod in a Portal 2 style picture-in-picture function we’d be all set for online play.

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Another question: Does it run on a netbook? it looks simple, but VVVVVV had its problems, so this might be diffucult.

I can’t wait to try it out. Though probably no experience can reach the amount of hype and anticipation that i will arrive with at my friend’s house with this little gem in hand.

6. dorkus1218 says:

What a great game! I thought I heard him talking about doing some follow-up puzzles, and I hope he does. It felt like it ended right when it was getting really good, and I bet there’s room for more complex puzzles in the system of the game.

• ryyne the cat says:

This game is a masterpiece. Game of the year 2011, easily.