The Dark Mod Update, Aiming For Standalone

By Jim Rossignol on December 9th, 2011 at 8:58 am.

Thief-inspired Doom 3 mod The Dark Mod has received an extensive new update over here. What’s most interesting about this appears at the end of the announcement, saying that the build does not utilize the recently-freed Doom 3 source code (and as such requires Doom 3 multiplayer to be installed), but that the team are going to try and start integrating the mod using it, so that they can create a standalone game. The team have asked for help in making this happen: “The Dark Mod can not be a standalone release until all the Doom 3 art assets and animations have been fully replaced. If you wish to help with that effort, please visit The Dark Mod forums and post in the “I Want to Help” sub-forum.”

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SiHy_ says:

I WANT TO HELP!!
    I just don’t have the skills :¬{

2. The Tupper says:

Are they looking only for skills or L33T SKILLZ!!!!! If it’s the latter, count me in, daddio!

3. Detoddcom says:

Awesome. I guess this means it will no longer be The Dark Mod.
    They’d better change the name to just “The Dark.”
    I’d play a game called “The Dark”. :D

• diebroken says:

The Darkening… yesssss….

• kupocake says:

Almost like some kind of “Dark Project”. Oh.

• New Horizon says:

No, highly unlikely we would change the name after more than 6 years. The Dark Mod is still a “Modification” of the D3 source code. It’s still quite reasonable to use that name.

4. Ross Angus says:

This mod is the only reason I bought Doom 3, and I’ve still not installed it. Ah well. Keeps Carmacks in rockets, I guess.

5. swordbreaker says:

hell yes!

6. b1k3rdude says:

Well I am particularly proud, as that screen shot RPSG used is of the updated version of my very first Darkmod mission :-D

@Tupper, get your ass over the to the Darkmod forums then mista, we welcome the extra help.

• The Tupper says:

Hehe. I’d be happy to try out if my, erm, ‘Skillz’ were nearly as ‘l33t’ as I make out. I’m radiating shame.

7. swordbreaker says:

cool avatar b1k3rdude! I see a pink butt and poo under it lol.

and yes, there is always way to help. eg start learning particle effects to replace doom3 particles. It’s a small topic and easy to learn.

8. BobsLawnService says:

I wish they would just concentrate on keeping it as a Doom 3 mod instead of wasting all their effort making it stand alone. The amount of work they have to do converting in means that they may as well be sttarting from scratch. It will take another 5 years to get the new approach to the point the mod is in now.

• swordbreaker says:

I don’t think so. I could speak more clear if I would know how many of the assets are from doom3 but as far as I see, there isn’t very big amount of work for it. I know that zombie is doom3 asset. What else?

• Derpentine says:

Hey there BobsLawnService,
      This is not a complete rewrite or something silly like that, the transition is more one of allowing TDM to be free of the Doom3 prerequisite. While it’s certainly not something that will be easy, a few of us are quite looking forward to at least attempting this, in our small way. For the time being we will be a bit of a hybrid – still being a doom3 mod, using assets, however with the improvements from being able to more closely work with the engine. This allows multiple performance improvements, decreased file size/load times, down to potentially better physics and AI. All the time, incrementally replacing proprietary assets with home grown content.

The goal is one of long term, but the mile markers are set out between the start and finish. Don’t worry :)

That said, we’re always looking for people to help out – Sound, code, animation, models – anything.

• b1k3rdude says:

Serps is that you…..

@BLS – If it that does happen it will be a very long way off, for now we will just ben fixing things that we coulnt pre open-source.

• New Horizon says:

Starting from scratch? In what way? We still have the 6 years worth of assets that we have created ourselves. The only things we need to replace will be any of the Doom 3 animations, textures, sounds or scripting that we currently share. That will require some community help to pull together, but far from 5 years.

9. outoffeelinsobad says:

This would be wonderful.

Garibaldi says:

Anyone remember thievery. Good ol unreal tournament. This looks like its gonna be really good. Id be glad to help out, but all i really have are some mediocre photoshop skills.

11. Faxmachinen says:

Not only does it looks like it’s gonna be really good, it already is really good. The Dark Mod team wanted to make a spiritual successor to the Thief series, and in my humble opinion, they did an even better job of it than the official Thief: Deadly Swimming Shadows.

Also, the soundtrack is just spot on. Listen for yourself:
    T2 intro
    TDM teaser

12. ziusudra says:

I wanna help too damn it. This has great potential. Iam also willing to help write some stories for fanmade missions. Thief deserves it.

13. bill says:

I have a (late) question about this, as i don’t have my doom3 discs to hand.

Is it actually any good? I mean, I know it’s based on Thief (which is good) and it has improved graphics and lighting – but what made theif good was the artistry, level design and style. Does this have that?

And the awesome animated cutscenes and garrett’s voice, which i guess it doesn’t have.

• Guhndahb says:

@bill: Well it depends on the missions, and quite a lot. From an engine and game-play potential standpoint, I think it’s significantly better than the Thief series. Things like mantling, multiple ways of moving bodies, physics/moving object puzzles, interesting lock picking, etc. may sound pretty minor, but they actually enhance game-play tremendously. The first two are so brilliant and game-enhancing I worry I won’t fully enjoy a Thiefalike in the future without them.

But because the missions are fan made and take a lot of work, there aren’t a lot of them that are story-heavy, multi-mission beauties like in the games.

That said, TDM is absolutely brilliant and a must-play for Thief fans in my opinion.