Also: Dukem Nukem DLC On Tuesday

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2011 at 9:08 am.

Speaking of that DLC stuff, Duke Nukem is destined to expand for the price of $10, next Tuesday. The DLC, which is called The Doctor Who Cloned me, features a new single player campaign (although presumably it’s only short compared to the main campaign) as well as a bunch of multiplayer maps. Gearbox explain the setting thusly: “Deep in the heart of Area 51, Dr Proton has been hatching his evil plan. Fueled by new ego boosts, Duke is ready to take on evil clones, aliens queens and anything else that comes his way in order to save the world and his babes!”

Mmm!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MadTinkerer says:

Hmmmm, is this what the second Gearbox Duke Nukem team was working on, then? This might actually be worth money this time around…

But we’ll see.

EDIT: I was thinking they’d be doing a new Duke game completely from scratch, but this would be a lot less riskier considering how badly DNF turned out. A mini-campaign that’s actually good might turn things around for the franchise, and would prove that it would be worth funding another major Duke Nukem project…

But we’ll see.

2. Innovacious says:

If it was free, maybe i would have got it. Not really that interested. Gameplay was interesting enough as a brief time waster, bit its time has gone. I do not regret my purchase of the game, but i will not spend more money on it.

The multiplayer was also not too bad after some patching. Not a game i would play longterm, but its dead anyway. The first DLC was free for a lot of people who were in the first access club. But even with those free players, i saw 6-7 servers after it was released. I played for about 2 hours over a few of the servers, and saw mostly the same 10-20 people across them.

3. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!
    Or, rather, BECAUSE SOMEONE DECIDED IT WAS COOL TO WASTE MONEY!

Seriously, they waited how long after the failed release of this turdgoblet to release this? If it was done ages ago they could have released it when the game released. Waiting this long hints that someone has spent time and money *since the release of DNF* working on this. Are they that masochistic that they would still throw money at a DLC after the game sold like dancing lessons in a leper colony? Yeah, not the best metaphor but it’s 4AM and I’ve been drinking.

• SiHy_ says:

I thought DNF sold quite well despite being critically panned? You know, being a testament to the power of (over a decade of) hype and a brand name/once-beloved character over good design.

• kio says:

It had a pretty high first week of sales but then it dropped off very quickly.

4. LionsPhil says:

…wasn’t the set of people who bought DNF equal to the set of people who somehow missed all the reviews about how awful it was and thought “ooh, I remember DN3D, that were ace” unioned with the set of people who were curious to see the trainwreck and didn’t pirate it/play the demo/watch the Let’s Play instead?

I can’t see how anyone in that set would then be willing to pay for yet more of it unless they have a sexual fetish for awful games. Seriously, if this DLC appeals to you, please explain to us why. For science.

5. Matt says:

The plot outline for this new DLC sounds eerily similar to the plot of the levels that were in the leaked DNF plot synopsis but not in the final game.

6. DickSocrates says:

At least they were sensible enough to make it free… what? It isn’t free?

7. Gap Gen says:

Playing Serious Sam 3 made me realise that they succeeded at doing what Duke Nukem Forever failed to. Not that the games are that similar, but the attitude of Sam and the other background story bits are exactly what Duke should have been gunning for.

8. Bungle says:

New multiplayer maps on what I can only assume is a dead game. Just what gamers are asking for.

9. Thermal Ions says:

Well if the Base Game AND DLC was $10 it’s possible I might consider it – if I’ve had a big night on the grog.

10. Jonith says:

I think Adam Jensen put everyones reaction to this best, in one line in Human Revolution….

11. SirKicksalot says:

I’ll buy it. I’m a hopeless twat that preordered the Balls of Steel edition. I just HAVE to own it.

12. Shooop says:

It’d make much more sense to just buy another copy of Serious Sam 3.

13. buzzmong says:

I’d find it quite amusing if this mini-campaign turns out to be vastly better than the original sp.

Laugh at the reviews mind, I’ve no intention of buying it.

14. ChampionHyena says:

Doctor Proton!!

Oh, man, I got instantaneous DOS flashbacks. I have no assumptions that they won’t balls it up and ruin my childhood memories of the original Duke Nukem platformers, but oh well.

15. Coldblade says:

Goddamit, I thought the DLC had something to do with Doctor Who.

16. Sabre_Justice says:

Pretty sure this is probably just more unreleased content that’s been hacked together and made into a semblance of a playable state. Like the rest of the game, but later. Dr Proton was apparently gonna be the original villain of DNF at some point.

17. Jigsore says:

In honesty i’m not bothered how good it is. After paying £30 on release day for the original when there were plenty of fresh dog shits outside on the pavement I feel i’m entitled to at least 1 DLC free…