Bastion To Get “The Stranger’s Dream” DLC

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2011 at 8:54 am.

Supergiant are apparently fully aware that when talking about Bastion over the summer, they say they designed the original game to be complete, and therefore not really requiring of DLC. Needless to say, that stance has changed a little, as they explain: “HOWEVER! In the weeks following the release of the game, we decided to put a little something together for the holidays as a show of thanks to our fans. So, on December 14, we’ll be pleased to bring you the Stranger’s Dream DLC for Bastion, which should give you some good reasons to come back to the game while preserving the core experience just as we intended.” The Stranger’s Dream will be “a new fully narrated Who Knows Where sequence, bigger and more challenging than the others”, and there are two other new game modes, too.

The Stranger’s Dream is out Dec 14th. It’ll be free, too.

, , .

1. Radiant says:

“Preserving the core experience”!
    The pun that rocked the world.

2. Radiant says:

Also, good stuff Supergiant.

• undead dolphin hacker says:

Great stuff, but it’s time we agree DLC means “paid for stuff,” regardless of its actual acronym. When I see “Bastion adds DLC” I think “wow, they said they weren’t going to milk me for more money. Douchebags.”

Let’s call it “free content.” Or FLC? Freeloader Content?

• Hematite says:

Yeah, I agree that DLC has the connotation of “fork over the cash, losers”. I guess we can blame that on the horse armour fiasco.

Also, shouldn’t DLC be something have you have to go out of your way to download and somehow attach to your game? I gather this expansion / new content / thing will just get patched in magically if you’re using something like steam, or will be built in to new downloads.

Edit: also, *hugs* for Supergiant!

3. Randomer says:

Free, story-enhancing DLC for the best game of 2011? And two new game modes? Well, if you insist!

Also, I love the fact that Xbox users have to pay $1 (Microsoft Policy), while even internet users get the DLC for free.

Aerothorn says:

Has anyone ever figured out why Microsoft has this policy? I just don’t get it. And as someone who bought this on Xbox 360, it’s bumming me out.

There was definitely free DLC on the original Xbox, too.

4. MeestaNob says:

I’d pay for this.

5. JackDandy says:

Free? Kickass. Gotta love those kind of devs.

LTK says:

Yessssssssss

7. povu says:

Awesome, It’ll be nice to learn more about the narrator.

8. Jonith says:

Free DLC, for one of the best games of the year… Hell yeah. (I would have paid money just to support the developers, but if they insist I get it for free, I better not complain)

Thermal Ions says:

The irony of this post being right before one about $10 DLC for DNF made me chuckle.

10. mondomau says:

Good stuff. I quite often spend ages ranting about how great some indie games are to people, it’s nice when I can do the same about developers and then show them things like this. Stay classy, supergiant games – you’re awesome.

11. zeroskill says:

My memory is kinda hazy but i’m pretty sure Supergiant said in one or the other interview they were not planing on releasing any additional content for the game, which made me sad. So this is great news and even better they are being a rolemodel for the industry while doing it! Great stuff, looking forward to it. This is how you build customer confidence, make good games and keep giving goodies to the fans. I for one am buying without any hesitation whatever they come up with next. Keep on rocking SG!

12. Doctor Pandafaust says:

This is great and all, but now how am I going to find excuses to give them more of my money? I’ve already bought the game for several of my friends. Gee, THANKS a LOT Supergiant.

• Sivver says:

I agree.. I mean what’s wrong with them? First they make an amazing game that cost almost no money, and then they expand it for FREE. Some people just want other people to look bad… shame on them.. :3

13. Krupp says: