Death Offers No Peace: Darksiders II

By John Walker on December 12th, 2011 at 10:34 am.

Darksiders II was also revealed at the ridiculous VGA Spike thing. THQ’s sequel to, well, Darksiders, has been quiet since July, when we took a look at it. But it was waiting for the annual fartfest to reveal itself a new teaser trailer, and indeed its release date. Which will be, oh, “Summer 2012″. Well, it’s better than “TBA”.

Jim didn’t get on so well with the original. This time out, Death is the focus of our four-horsey attention, his story running parallel to the first game’s War.

The pointless teaser says, “What starts with War, ends with Death”, which suggests they may be cutting the series short of all four horsemen. Or at least giving themselves an out. Who knows!

, , , .

1. MarineMarauder says:

That thing looks like an unmasked Predator.

• Echo Black says:

It made me think of Soul Reaver. I blinked and then noticed it’s not actually Raziel. :/

• TheOldFirm says:

I agree with Echo Black, I think whoever still owns the rights to Legacy of Kain should be thinking about suing for copyright infringement.

• julianbenson says:

I met Eidos President Ian Livingstone recently and he heavily hinted they’re already working on something in the Soul Reaver franchise

• ZyloMarkIII says:

It wouldn’t be right to have a Soul Reaver game without Amy Hennig (Writer) or Tony Jay (Elder God).

• Ankheg says:

@julianbenson Are you trolling or what? Funbase slowly dying in it’s rottish decadance, and now you are giving Hope? :D

2. soylentrobot says:

are the 4 guys Death War Famine and Pestilence, or the original Death War Famine and Conquest?
    playing as Famine would be jsut weird

• Tuco says:

Neither. They are War, Death, Strife and Fury.

• lordfrikk says:

Darksiders have a bit different horsemen, they are War, Death, Fury (instead of Famine, the Black Rider) and Strife (instead of Conquest, the White Rider). Death is the eldest of the Horsemen in the Darksiders mythology.

3. MeestaNob says:

Cant believe Jim didn’t like Darksiders, it’s a great game.

• Tuco says:

Well, not sure if I would use the word “great” myself… But yeah, it’s a *good* game.
      And one of these (inexplicably) rare Zelda-like games on PC.

• arrjayjee says:

It was a great game in that everything it did was great, but it was very derivative, so nothing felt new or special about it, which only made it good. I’m really looking forward to number 2 though.

• petya says:

Yes! Darksiders was a fantastic little gem, an absolute blast to play. Funny writing, great voice work, great visual flavor, and my favorite type of game mechanic: collectibles, unlockable new abilities/areas etc. Reminded me quite strongly of the Lego [movie franchise] games (also Shadow Man, the Acclaim oldie).

• Thule says:

Darksiders is a great game. Yes, it might be derivative, but it’s not trying to hide it. It took alot of things which were great about other games and mixed them together to create it’s own personal mixture.

Ocarina of Time was one of those games that defined my childhood and Darksiders just gives me a good nostalgic feeling. I can’t really play modern Zelda games anymore, because it’s simply too childish now, but Darksiders fills in that void quite nicely.

• Maktaka says:

It’s a fantastic B+; nothing really NEW other than the setting, and it’s got some quirks and lack of variety to it at times. Jim just got caught up on one of those idiosyncrasies about the game. It’s unfortunate he let it stop him cold. Most games with checkpoints tend to have a situation like that at some point, and it’s really quite a good game.

• julianbenson says:

But it was a bad buggy port. I could never get into why people liked it because the bugs were a pain in the ass

• Nevard says:

I’m always a little confused when people complain about “awful, unplayable ports”
      I played From Dust, Darksiders and quite a lot of other games that are heavily slated on this website with a keyboard and never encountered any issues at all.
      Am I just incredibly lucky?

• paterah says:

Well, guess I’m lucky too then. I played it and encountered zero problems, must be one of those case where if the game involves a lot of hacking and slashing or is an action game then it must be a port.

• lordfrikk says:

I had no problems either. Played with a controller, though, so this might have skewed my experience (in a good way).

4. stevekimbrey says:

“The pointless teaser …”
    Although to some degree I agree, I can’t help thinking no one was saying the same thing about the even more pointless Skyrim initial teaser. Especially at a time when Arkham City’s eye candy trailer was out (the same day I think…)
    Nothing against John Walker of course =]

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this game.

5. skyturnedred says:

I liked the first game, but sadly got stuck very early in the game with no idea what to do. Well, I had a clue what I was supposed to be doing, but think it was a bug of some sort that prevented me from continuing. I should probably give it another go and see if I can get past it.

• Dougal McFrugal says:

theres a crack in the wall that you hang from and shimy to get across the gap

on the not entirely reasonable assumption that I’ve magically guessed which bit you got stuck at…

• The Magic says:

Certainly not a stab in the dark to be fair. I got stuck for a while on that bit too. The colour scheme and level design were often rather… unhelpful

SealedSun says:

I liked the first Darksiders very much. Loved the rich back-story, the art style, the combat (modulus camera control) and especially the voice-acting and animation (seriously, War even looks bad-ass when thrown across the room by a giant spider)

Sure the gameplay formula was copied almost 1:1 from Zeld. Boomerangs and bomb-growing plants felt very silly, but I found the game very entertaining nonetheless.

Looking forward to Darksiders 2