Diggle Deities: Dungeons Of Dredmor DLC

By Adam Smith on December 12th, 2011 at 4:30 pm.

I'm thinking of an alternative and more terrifying ending for Ring right now

It was announced in the recently expired month of November and now, on what should be the day before release, Dungeons of Dredmor’s first expansion has been trailerised. As well as containing graphic closeups of the most formidable eyebrows in gaming, the video provides details on the contents of Realm of the Diggle Gods. New enemies, areas and equipment are present, as one would expect, but did you expect a Werediggle skill line? I didn’t because my imagination is clearly limited and limp. How about eye lasers and the ability to create a character who is a “Vampiric Pirate Hunter-Vegan that dabbles in Demonology”? Oh, and belts! Sounds good. Watch below.

The new achievements are already visible on Steam and I couldn’t help but notice, because I was reading them with a great deal of care, that there is an emomancy skill line. I shall create the saddest hero of all, the hair of his eyebrows styled into emo fringes, and he shall be magnificent.

Provided there are no distribution hitches, the expansion should be on Steam and Desura tomorrow. The base game is only £3.49 and it would be very odd if the DLC was more expensive than that, so you should be able to find enough pennies to buy it between the cushions of your couch. Just pop them into your computer’s DVD drive and they become Steam credit immediately. That’s what it’s for now that you don’t need to put games in it.

, , , , , .

1. Ringwraith says:

I did notice they just updated the game today as well, which includes the adding of HFS, so I dread to think…

2. coldvvvave says:

I bought the game but never played it. is it any good?

• Gurrah says:

I’ve played it for around 60hours, same as Skyrim. Haven’t finished either of them.

• engion3 says:

No, ITSSSSSSSSSSSSS GREATTTTTTTTT

• Gurrah says:

That’s sort of what I meant by my first posting… I’ve played it for 60hours, loved every minute of it but still haven’t finished it, and now there’s an AddOn – DAMN YOU TIME!

• Kaira- says:

It’s shallow for a roguelike, but it’s pretty good introduction point. If it feels too simple for you, I might also recommend Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl (don’t worry, you don’t have to play with ASCII-graphics).

• Nevyrmoore says:

Let me put it this way; it’s the only game I’ve ever played where even though you’re doing everything right in the tutorials, it’s perfectly possible to die thanks to the way the game mechanics work.

3. Coins says:

Yay! I love this game. Tomorrow will be a good day!

4. Ross Angus says:

Staring eyebrows tag? (sorry, Adam: I know you’ve been hassled about this already today).

5. deadly.by.design says:

HEROIC VANDALISM.

Erithtotl says:

The original game never felt finished. I paid for it but didn’t expect to be paying for an ‘expansion’ at this point.

• Vinraith says:

I’m curious, in this fantasy world of yours where new games cost less than $5 and the developers support them without further payment for months or years, how exactly does the dev team eat?

• Teddy Leach says:

Don’t be silly, everyone knows they hunt rats and drink the water in puddles.

• yutt says:

@Vinraith

In the fantasy world I live, Team Fortress 2 is free, and all of the content is available without additional payment. Oh? And indie games with free DLCs? In my fantasy world, they were released for Dungeon Defenders, Killing Floor, Magicka, Bastion, Terraria, Nation Red, and many many more.

But, wait! That’s not a fantasy world! That’s the real world!

Now, given that I’m in the real world, and your experiences are so at odds with mine, maybe you and developers who think free post-release support is optional should reconsider which world *you* live in. It seems in your world, the Humble Bundle would never exist, because it isn’t “realistic” enough.

• ZamFear says:

@yutt
      The fantasy world you live in obviously sprang into existence early this past summer. For the rest of us, TF2 spent four years as a paid product. Moreover, this is Valve we’re talking about. Steam makes them a metric fuckton of money from every other game in existence. They can afford to give a couple away. Not every developer is in such an advantageous position.

Also, as far as I can tell, none of those indie games are under $5, and half of them have paid DLC, so you’re going to have to work harder to find counterexamples.

• Eric_CC says:

I wholeheartedly agree that game was not complete upon release. The game feels pre-alpha and they are releasing an expansion pack. I bought the game as a vote for the genre but I’m not going to spoil these devs just because they made a roguelike.

Anybody reading this: if you like Dredmor, there are games out there that are doing the same thing much much better. Hell, I’d say Dredmor is no better than many 7-day-roguelikes.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Care to expand on why you think it’s not finished? It has tons of content and is perfectly playable.
      Or is it because it does not have all your dream features or is not tailored to *your* play style?

They’re patching the game frequently and will continue to do so, I don’t see what’s the problem with adding content for players who have enjoyed the game and exhausted what it currently has to offer.

Also, comparing it to a 7drl is freaking ridiculous.

• PodX140 says:

I honestly had tons of fun with dredmor (never even got past level 4), but I really have to agree that it felt incomplete. Never entirely sure why, but it really felt like it was missing alot to the dungeons.

• SeeBeeW says:

I went for coffee with Nick just a little while ago, but he was too busy flipping through yachting catalogues trying to select his fourth boat to pay much attention to anything I said. And that was just when my plaintive yelps made it past his solid gold headphones, which he insists on wearing at all times (they emit a constant series of motivational messages officially approved by his spiritual advisor, who I believe has been gold-plated following their success).

So yes, I understand your discomfort at having to pay a modicum of money to back the work of a small studio, when you could buy a competing game’s DLC and still save enough to buy a full third of a latte. But honestly, think of the developers—their diamond-snorting habit isn’t going to support itself.

• Eric_CC says:

@MellowKrogoth
      You’re correct: comparing Dredmor to a 7DRL *is* ridiculous. It’s an insult to many 7DRL’s which are programmed with better balance in 7 days than Dredmor had upon release. Remove all the glitter and reduce Dredmor to ASCII and judge it on gameplay merits alone then see what you’re left with. Just because Dredmor has a talented graphics designer and some good tunes doesn’t mean the game design itself is good. Upon initial release, hiding under the glamour of the animated tiles was a junk game. I’ve played balanced 7DRL’s that know what they’re going for and do it well. I can’t say the same about Dredmor– except maybe that the devs are trying to make a quick buck off of noobs to the roguelike genre.

• jamesgecko says:

It feels slightly unfinished because roguelikes that feel the closest to “finished” have each been in development for at least a decade. For five bucks, actual graphics, and such a short development time, it’s pretty darn good.

Eric_CC: Seriously? Of course a 7drl will be more balanced; they have a fraction of the items and systems to balance. They’re also generally kinda shallow. But you’ve intrigued me. Care to link to a 7drl you feel is superior?

7. Torgen says:

I wonder what Phil Foglio thinks about the protagonist of this game looking exactly like one of his major characters? The devs being named “Gaslamp Games” only makes it more glaring, since Kaja Foglio is the one who invented the term “gaslamp fantasy.”

Big Murray says:

I always felt that the game needed more depth of items. Hopefully they’ve added a nice new bunch of craftables.

9. Nevard says:

It still annoys me that you can’t see your armour on your character

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

• qrter says:

They did talk about this on their blog – from what I remember, the main character’s animations are handdrawn, which would mean complete new handdrawn animations for every combination of armour, weapons, etc.

This is also why it has taken until the expansion for a female version of the protagonist to appear – all new drawings and animation.

10. MythArcana says:

Supposedly, Gaslamp sent the DLC/patch v1.08 to Steam early last week and v@|\/3 hasn’t put it up yet. Still waiting. Let’s hope they don’t end up putting up a beta version when it is finally “approved”. I really and honestly wish Gaslamp would self-distribute this game as I refuse sT3@/\/\ in any form. In the meantime, I’ll be playing Vulture’s Claw Nethack and Stone Soup until reasonable accessibility is in place.

• phanatic62 says:

Hmm, it’s probably because those things are spelled “Valve” and “Steam”. I can only imagine spelling those words with those ridiculous characters probably just sends you to some shady websites.

• aldo_14 says:

So, by refusing to use normal alphabetic characters, are you robbing them of their Evil Power?

11. Synesthesia says:

I’ve been falling down the roguelike rabbithole, and i love it!
    You’ll hate me, but i found about this genre with the binding of isaac. After killing mom 10 times and sheol in a heartbeat i thought i was ready for everything, but i cant get past the 4th level of this thing!

What other good roguelikes are there out there?

• Kaira- says:

ADoM, Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl, netHack and Angband are probably the best known roguelikes there are. I’ve also seen many recommendations to Brogue and Rogue Survivor, I haven’t tried either yet. And then there’s Dwarf Fortress’ adventure mode.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Stone Soup is probably your best gateway drug into the hardcore roguelikes. It’s as accessible as the hardcore roguelikes get, fast (or as fast as you want it to be), compulsively playable, reasonably well balanced (which is not to say fair) and lets you get right back into the action after you die. It also has a functional graphical interface, and many (but not all) of the commands are accessible via mouse. It’s not quite as deep as Adom, or the Hack derivatives, but it is still much deeper than games like Dredmore passing themselves off as Roguelikes. Most importantly, though, it is fun and highly playable. If you get on with Stone Soup, you might branch out from there.

Keep in mind, these games are celebrations of failure and heartache, and obviously not for everyone.

• Moth Bones says:

Another vote for Stone Soup, to which I basically ‘graduated’ from Dredmor. It has a great feature that Dredmor really needs IMO – you can click anywhere on the minimap that you’ve already explored and scoot right back there, stopping automatically if a monster comes into view. Super character/race variety, plus loads of gods to sign up with. I found Zangband too sparse and unrewarding, but Stone Soup really gets the difficulty/fun equation right for me.

• rubybliels says:

Based on my experiences as someone who recently started trying out roguelikes, I would suggest Brogue. It is easy to get into because the controls are way simpler than the usual roguelikes and the game is really transparent about most things (it will tell you an enemies chance to hit and average damage, for example). It also has plenty of terrain features that affect play and some interesting lock/key puzzles.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Doom: The Roguelike is fast-paced (for a roguelike) and fantastic! It even has sound effects.

• Synesthesia says:

thanks for the tips! Guess i won’t be seen a lot by my friends and family now. Oh well.

• Hoaxfish says:

I’d like to throw in Powder as well, nice and friendly pixel graphics with reasonably good mouse support too… and without sacrificing any of the normal roguelike feel.

It’s also on almost everything from GBA to iPhone that the developer could get it on.

12. RauTheLegendary says:

Am I the only one who always plays with random skills and permadeath on? I don’t think I would really enjoy the game with permadeath off.

• Tyraa Rane says:

I’ve been playing with permadeath on from the very first game. It’s just not a proper roguelike with it off. Whether or not I go random skills depends on my mood, though.

• Josh W says:

Permadeath yes, random skills no, I keep using the same builds or switching to others, with names of characters going into “Harry VIII” or “Ingrid V”.

Llewyn says:

My Steam credit is just making clunking sounds when I try to browse the drive to check how much there is. Anyone know how I get a refund out of it?

14. Nevyrmoore says:

As I recently bought the Introversion bundle, I decided to give this a try. Started off with the tutorials…and found that the guys who made this didn’t think either buffing the tutorial character or nerfing the tutorial monsters was a good idea, and that in tutorials involving combat, I die, on average, a good 3 or 4 times.

So I manage to actually complete the tutorials through sheer perseverance, make it to the magic tutorial…and find that I can’t actually complete it because the character is completely incapable of casting the spells I was given.

I’m sure it’s a decent game, but this is really putting me off…

*EDIT* As it turns out, this seems to be an issue from when they went from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7. Nice to know it is, in fact, a bug, and not an actual design choice.

• jamesgecko says:

Bugs? Dieing in the tutorial? Sounds like a fine introduction to roguelikes to me!

15. outoffeelinsobad says:

LUTEFISK FOR THE LUTEFISK GOD

16. InternetBatman says:

I liked the game very much but I’m not sure they’ll be able to sell much DLC since it gets so hard to beat at the end. I haven’t beat it. The reviewer here didn’t beat it. Why would you want more when the original challenge stands? Good game though, I recommend it.

17. Zulthar says:

I love this game. I’ve spent more time in Dredmor than in Skyrim.

jrodman says:

Now, if only they would add some acceptable level of documentation so that I didn’t have to hit the forums to find out how the controls are supposed to work….