Rainbow Six: Patriots – #OccupyClancy

By Adam Smith on December 12th, 2011 at 11:01 am.

At the end, the Rainbow operatives realise the true patriot was inside them all along

The video that first made me aware that Rainbow Six: Patriots would allow me to press square to kiss my wife was a breath of fresh air in the stale confines of this business called game. Tom Clancy’s skill as writer, computer graphics wizard and cinematographer allowed him to deliver a rollercoaster ride. I gasped with delight as foreclosures were topically referenced, screamed in excited glee as a wiggly-hipped woman was held at knifepoint and actually raised my arms and went ‘wheeeee’ as a man wearing a suicide vest was thrown off a bridge and exploded. I was concerned that this level of intensity was impossible to maintain. But, lo! A new teaser trailer shows that Tom’s still got it where it counts. In his willingness to ensure that all promotional materials contain an unarmed man being forcibly blown to bits in an urban environment.

YES! You show those cabbies – they’re more guilty than anyone, with their solid gold gearsticks and names like Hank Fairweather Trumpington Jr III. They’re so famously out of touch, they don’t know anything about what life’s like on the streets for the common man.

Literally my only concern is that this bold take on the harsh realities of modern political terrorism may be too real for some. My advice to them is to get out of the kitchen because Mr Clancy is cooking up a storm I like to call the future. The main ingredient? Wealthy people exploding, forever.

, , , .

1. MarineMarauder says:

So no eeevil Russians?Theyre happy friends with the USA?

• Mavvvy says:

In Tom Clancys world, Russia and the US have been best buds since they joined up and gave China a tonking after they invaded eastern Russia.

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

So you play the people that kill the bankers? that’s cool.

• Nova says:

Yeah. It’s gonna be interesting to see how they want to make the “patriots” look more evil then their targets.

I reckon there will be quite a lot of people who would rather side with the terrorists in this case.

• sneetch says:

I think most of the people will be able to recognise that the ones who are blowing innocent people up (as in everyone who just happened to be on that street) are the real bad guys regardless of how much the gravelly voiced man talks about answering for crimes or being accountable or the sacrifices they made or the blah, blah, generic twaddle.

• Kollega says:

I also wonder about that. Sure, the terrorist guys are a bunch of jerks who seem to enjoy killing people for the lulz, but you can’t expect us to fully sympathize with the financial elite, seeing as they don’t much care for the health of our society and the lives of people they frequently step on to raise ever higher.

In short, in a real-life situation most people would as eagerly beat up the terrorists as their intended targets. I don’t think there’s a “good guy” here.

• HisMastersVoice says:

You don’t see any difference between a stone kold mass murderer and a banker who makes a lot of money on people who should know better not to take loans above a certain level? Kinda different leagues, eh?

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

This is quite simplistic (but no doubt effective) propaganda to try and link reasonable opposition to casino capitalism, massive bank bailouts, rising inequality and so on with an immoral response, mass murder. Thus the message is put out there that all those who oppose the ever growing wealth and power of the 1% are potential terrorists and thus they must be quashed before they do anything bad.

Sadly from the tone of the article it would seem Adam Smith has bought into this myth hook line and sinker. The whole point of the taxis getting blown up is to try and convince people that those who oppose the 1% are a danger to the 99% and thus we should all back the 1% for our own safety.

• sneetch says:

Really, ReV_VAdAUL? You don’t think that the post from Adam Smith was dripping in sarcasm and had it’s tongue so firmly in cheek that it has become wedged in his ear canal?

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Regardles of his sarcasm-o-meter (and his caps button) being slightly off, I do support ReV’s view on this game’s political agenda. Most of Mr. Clancy’s work (and he did make this game with his OWN HANDS) make Call of Duty seem like Ca(r)ll of Marx.

• Nim says:

No, you play as a government backed (therefore corporation backed) elite team of assassins and hit-men using the most state-of-the-art firepower and armor to combat violent freedom-hating terrorists from the group “The Union” that oppose the American Dream.

• Twitchity says:

Huh. Well, R6 had you killing BIOPLAGUE-WIELDING DIRTY HIPPIES for America, so it would be in tradition for their bad guys to be #occupy types. On the other hand, the most likely inspiration, given the length of the average development cycle, would be the Tea Party, also angry about bank bailouts. In either case, I assume that you will be leading a multinational force of elite special forces operatives drawn from Bank of America, the City of London, Deutsche Bank, UBS and Mitsubishi UFJ. I also can’t wait for the RAINBOW SIX: PRIVATE EQUITY DLC, when you storm various manufacturing companies in order to burden them with unsustainable debt and make redundant their employees.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

@sneetch

The problem is the sarcasm is misplaced, Adam is pointing out how bad the terrorists in the game are representing the 99% as if it were a mistake however it isn’t. Hyper right wing author Tom Clancy (even though he no longer writes this stuff he’ll likely have final approval) and Ubisoft, a massive corporation that has consistently shown utter contempt for consumers might just be deliberately showing those who oppose the 1% in a very bad light.

When threatened with opposition governments often threaten anarchy because people even if they don’t like the government they will be afraid of lawlessness etc. The US government of course isn’t anywhere near that yet but propaganda like this contains the implicit threat nonetheless. It is trying to show that opposition to the status quo, however corrupt and unequal that status quo is, is very dangerous for you and me so we should just sit still.

So yes Adam was sarcastic about the message but he nonetheless repeated it and contributed to it becoming part of people’s thought process.

Also: “Oh and I just thought it was a game where a bunch of extremists are killing people and I haven’t drawn any lines between the fictional goings on here and the real goings on in our actual world.”

I really hope this is sarcasm too.

• Metonymy says:

Portraying anyone who questions banks and the organization of our government as unreasonable and murderous terrorists?

How could that possibly be a bad influence on our youth and future as a nation?

• battles_atlas says:

Well said ReV, though I think people have focused on the wrong part of Adam’s post. Its not the tongue in cheek cabbies bit, but the “Literally my only concern is that this bold take on the harsh realities of modern political terrorism may be too real for some” line that bothers me. He’s confused ‘harsh realities’ with Fox reality.

Then again he is called Adam Smith, so maybe this whole thing (by which I guess I mean Adam’s career) is an elaborate trolling exercise. If so kudos for dedication to a cause.

I’d love to see a big budget game portray a morally-complex violent revolution in a corrupt contemporary America. Don’t see it happening in this epoch though.

• Adam Smith says:

“He’s confused ‘harsh realities’ with Fox reality.”

I really haven’t. If I’m talking about a Tom Clancy trailer being ‘too real for some’ I’m not seriously suggesting it is based in anything other than a deluded or message-driven fantasy. For clarity, I shall contact Stephen Colbert to see if he is willing to perform audio recordings of all future Rainbow 6 posts.

• woodsey says:

Pretty sure we play the Rainbow team and the Patriots are the enemies. If anything I thought the trailer was rather Left-leaning. Evidently Mr Clancy’s softened up in his old age.

• Urthman says:

I’m guessing they have visions of a multiplayer game in which players can play “patriots” vs. “occupiers” and will pour the same time and energy and dedication in fighting each other that they do flaming each other on internet forum boards.

• battles_atlas says:

Sorry Adam, I took your use of ‘literally’ literally. The internet is an awfully slippery floor surface at times. I did think it unlikely to be your true intention.

@ Woodsey

“If anything I thought the trailer was rather Left-leaning.”

“With the tone of the voice over in the trailer I’d say its a safe bet that they’re at least going try and question the intentions/morality of each side.”

I’d say its a safe bet that they’re at least going to try and question the intentions/morality of each side, and having established their credibility, conclude by showing the lefty radicals to be murderous anarchists who are better off being rendered to somewhere with a relaxed attitude to cutting off penises with razor blades.

• sinister agent says:

Isn’t it par for the Clancy course to take a legitimate grievance, than make that the motivation for EVIL SATAN TERROR COMMUPAEDOMEN, so that it’s easier to dismiss that grievance and defend the status quo instead? The only difference is that this time the grievance is one that many americans have, rather than one that a lot of foreigners have.

Although thinking about it, in Vegas 1 and 2, the TRRRRSTS have no motivation whatsoever, so this is arguably a step up in storytelling, distasteful though it may be.

• Adam Smith says:

@battles_atlas certainly no need to apologise! I find everything about Patriots so ridiculous at the moment, my response to it tends to be exaggeratedly daft. I laugh at Glenn Beck as well, but only after I’ve managed to swallow the bits of sick in my mouth. Pretty much the same deal here.

• battles_atlas says:

I think I apologise because the exaggeratedly daft is one of RPS’ mightiest tools, and I would hate to think that I might have imperilled your future wielding of it with my misunderstanding. And yes, this does suggest I have an enormously over-inflated ego.

• woodsey says:

““If anything I thought the trailer was rather Left-leaning.”

Were you yawning at the bit where the lefties blew up the street full of good honest hard working families?”

Yeah, blown up with a bomb which they’d strapped a banker to, who they’d gone to the trouble of finding by blowing their way through a dirty great building in the middle of the day, presumably on Wall Street. If you’re going to do that sort of shit then I’m sure you can justify blowing a few innocents up if you think it serves your greater good, whatever that may be.

The monologue is too ‘aware’ to simply be Tom Clancy’s: Hippies Gone Postal-style right-wing rubbish.

Mungrul says:

I wonder if this Ubisoft release, like Assassin’s Creed Revelations and Driver San Francisco before it, will taunt you with a 16:10 1920×1200 option in the graphics menu but then display 16:9 1920×1080 letterboxed?

4. Hoaxfish says:

Why is one of the Terrorists apparently wearing some sort of blue bicycle shorts/clothing/mo-cap suit ensemble, while everyone else is in suit and tie?

Maybe that’s why they blow up the Taxis… because they drove into the cycle lane?

… oh, I guess he was disguised as a cycle courier.

5. Jamesworkshop says:

Ich Will

6. sneetch says:

Jesus! I guess “Rainbow Six: Bunch of Assholes” was already taken then?

They’re pushing this very early aren’t they? It’s down as having a 2013 release date after all.

7. Kollega says:

So in short, it’s like Modern Warfare, only it dosen’t even try to conceal it’s hatred for those dirty commie Nazi hippie liberals. Because there is very little chance said commie Nazi hippie liberals turn out to be the good guys in the end.

• Askeladd says:

Why do I have the feeling the wrong people are always striving for power?

• Kollega says:

Maybe it’s because they scream the loudest… that’s my guess, anyway.

• sneetch says:

I suppose it’s that, in general, only the wrong kind of people actually want power.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I guess wanting power makes you the wrong kind of people.

• Josh W says:

I like power <_<
      a bit anyway…

8. n0rwegian says:

Setting off a huge bomb at the bottom of a tall building you’re currently standing in. Go Patriots!

9. westyfield says:

Oh man, fuck this trailer.

10. Dana says:

They are raping the Rainbow Six franchise, and no one cares. Shame on you all.

lurkalisk says:

That started years ago. I’m having a hard time caring about this newer sort…

Thermal Ions says:

It’s alright, Tom’s name is on the box, so you can be confident in it’s final quality. I’m sure he’d never let someone else write it given his name is on it.

jezcentral says:

Sorry, are you sure this is the right game? It looks more like Hitman: Subtitle, with Agent 47 carrying out one of his hush-hush assassinations, holding a rifle to someone’s head, on the right of the top pic, in front of a load of people.

Y’know, in the new “action” style IO Interactive seem to be pushing.

12. cafe says:

I will not play an american game that has the word “patriot” in it’s title. American patriotism is the new national socialism!

13. Felixader says:

Umm, maybe i am not getting something here (aside from the senseless scaremongering), but what exactly have those hard working cabdrivers done again?

14. matnym says:

After watching the first trailer and now this it seems Ubisofts marketing technique of doing controversial trailers doesn’t work on me. I guess I find it just a bit over-the-top to really find it dramatic. They should take some notes from Bioshock Infinite where there’s at least some character.

15. standardman says:

I can’t wait to play as the good guys who chucked a man off something as he was about to explode to fight the bad guys who chucked a man off something as he was about to explode.

• sinister agent says:

I wouldn’t get too excited. From the looks of it, you might end up having about as much control over the game as the guy who’s chucked off something as he’s about to explode.

16. The13thRonin says:

So basically the protagonist is at best a well-meaning but misguided corporate thug who kills to keep the corrupt minority in power so they can further exploit the little guy?

I don’t see how fighting terrorists for corporate fascists somehow makes us the good guys? I mean what’s the ending going to be like… You won the war soldier, good job, now we can put thousands of people out of jobs for short-term profits while giving the rich tax cuts… But hey… At least you got to kill a bunch of people who tried to stop that happening… Here’s $50… Buy yourself something nice…

Just because you’re fighting bad doesn’t automatically make you good…

17. Zarunil says:

I can’t wait to use the tactical map again. Alpha, GO! Charlie, GO! Breach, flashbang! Pew pew pew! Clear! Secure those hostages!

Right?

18. YourMessageHere says:

I find it almost impossible to actually believe that’s a serious trailer. The voiceover is so unbelievably stereotypical that I was actually surprised when the camera failed to pan up from the ankles and reveal that the suit was being worn by, I don’t know, Bagpuss or something.

Even more depressing than this being a fully serious plot is the fact that there’s going to be tens of thousands of people who buy this game and absolutely lap it up, people who will play the whole thing completely convinced that this is realistic in tone. Mad fucking world, this.

Never caught that appalling first video at the time, either. Repellant politics and illogical gameplay aside, why spend as much money on that ‘vision video’ as they must have done, only to not release it? No wonder they have cashflow problems. Are they seriously employing people so unimaginitive that they need this as an example of what’s wanted? Might want to think twice about blowing huge sums on pointless internal PR before you decide to blame piracy for your revenue troubles, chaps.

19. rocketman71 says:

Ubi. Enough said.

Ok, I will say more. Damn you Ubi, DRM is not enough, you have to keep fucking this dead horse. The first couple of R6s where so good, but this keeps going down the toilet.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Ahem, you may have meant ‘flogging a dead horse’.

20. outoffeelinsobad says: