Assassin’s Creed Rev Adds In The Ancestors

By John Walker on December 13th, 2011 at 5:29 pm.

I'm not sure that third guy can see.

Ubisoft have just dolloped out a dose of paid-for DLC for Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, and by my grandmothers long dead knees, they’ve released the PC version at the same time as the 360! The Ancestors Character Pack is out even before the PS3, which gets it tomorrow. This explains those cracks that have been appearing in the streets, and the low, dreadful rumbling of rising beasts. It is indeed, as foretold in the ancient prophecies, the end of days. Enjoy it while it lasts. Or, perhaps, don’t.

It’s the confusing price of £3.19, offering a collection of new multiplayer characters (Privateer, Corsair, Brigand and Gladiator), along with some “personalised taunts, weapons and stylized assassination moves”, achievements and trophies, and some “customization items”.

Oh.

For money?

Some new character skins for £3.19?

Oh.

Here’s a trailer of that.

, , , .

1. Dzamir says:

Character skins for money?
    They haven’t learned the lesson from Valve, they need to sell HATS if they want to be successful.

• disperse says:

Assassin’s Creed? More like Assassin’s Greed, amirite?

Arvind says:

Extra disguises are just what Assassins Need.

• empyrion says:

New shoes to put on Assassins Feet?

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Pretty sure those pants are the ones in which the Assassin’s peed.

• Milos says:

All I wanted was some new armour for my Assassins Steed.

Mitthrawn says:

All these puns make me long for an Assassin’s mead.

• Freud says:

I have a feeling that character skins for money provides among the highest income/development time.

• McChes says:

It’s not been long since the game was brought out – this DLC has been prepared with Assassin’s speed…

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I just want to play as the professor – the man with Assassins Tweed.

• MrPyro says:

The costumes look a little plain; they could use some Assassins’ Bead-work

• Alliance says:

[Jamaican accent]
      Where can a man find some assassins weed?

• Quasar says:

I used to be an ancestor, then I took an arrow in the Assassin’s Knee(d)

• MrPyro says:

Is there anywhere I can keep constantly updated on news about Revelations? Some kind of RSSn’s feed?

maninahat says:

No more puns, this Assassin pleads.

Anthile says:

comment regarding the evils of DLC and the monocle-wearing villainy of Ubisoft

• Heliocentric says:

Rationalisation of capitalism and the free market economy.

• Twitchity says:

Self-justifying assertion of an inverse correlation between producer price and consumer intent to pirate.

• McDan says:

Immature and unrelated retort on the sexual congress history of your mother.

• Blackcompany says:

Opinionated reply about the pointless gouging of customers by selling character skins and inevitable comparison to Capcom and Street Fighter 19: Pink Unitard Edition.

• Arglebargle says:

Claim of incorrect nomenclature of game as a proper RPG.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Witty nonsequiteur about talking to monsters, question for veracity, amirite?

• Majestyk12 says:

Obligatory, yet remarkably unhelpful, joke about sustaining a knee related arrow injury, and my subsequent retirement from a profession related to the topic of the post.

• Dawngreeter says:

Attempt to make myself feel superior by insisting both sides are equally annoying.

• Persus-9 says:

Repeats something mentioned earlier as if it was a new point, betraying the fact he didn’t read past the first two comments but wanted to have his say anyway.

• AureateFlux says:

Largely ineffectual attempt to mollify disparate sides of an increasingly muddled, incoherent, and vitriolic argument. Invocation of Godwin’s Law.

• ananachaphobiac says:

Disproportionate comparison of members holding contrary opinions to Leader of National Socialist German Workers Party circa 1921-45.

Llewyn says:

semibad says:

• Freud says:

Providing readers of the commentary field with a website address to an online store that sells bootlegged athletic equipment, primarily shoes.

jezcentral says:

Providing readers of the commentary field with a website address to an online store that sells bootlegged athletic equipment, primarily hats.

• Wubbles says:

Draws attention to theme of gimmick thread by some means, thereby ruining the chance the unspoken hope that the thread remains pristine be vindicated.

• MrPyro says:

Complains about gimmicky threads taking up too much space on the first page of comments. States that this devalues the discussion.

• MrPyro says:

Accidentally double-posts.

MonkeyMonster says:

Congratulatory salutations at member comedy postings raising the bar to hither unbeknownst levels of humour

• The Tupper says:

Gratuitously mentions wife in comment as a way to bolster self-image as sexually attractive and socially adept.

3. rocketman71 says:

If you could use them offline, perhaps I’d buy them. And the game.

• Rhin says:

The game is just an elaborate DRM system designed to make sure you only wear your skins/hats online. You’re better off just pirating the skins.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

That’s ok, I already only wear my skin when online.

• Maktaka says:

And now we all know far more than we ever wanted to about Velvet’s browsing habits. Put some pants on man!

4. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

5. Discopanda says:

I love the Assassin’s Creed Revelations multiplayer. I’ve put more hours in it than Skyrim!

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Oh. Does the matchmaking work now? I was very excited about Brotherhood but sadly I was only able to connect to about four games, ever.

• Discopanda says:

It um, well, it does seem to work for me, but when I tried to play with another friend, it REFUSED to search for games while we were partied up. And, sometimes it will refuse to find another game after a round ends… but! You can now change the gametype after a round is over, it’s really quite convenient, and it’s really made me enjoy playing gametypes besides Wanted.

6. Sentient Waffle says:

Why Ubisoft has decided to focus so much on multiplayer for Assassins Creed, I just don’t get…

I didn’t even try multiplayer once in brotherhood, to me AC is singleplayer games, I have other, better multiplayer games if I want to play that.

• Creeping Death says:

I don’t see how you can justify saying you have better multiplayer games to play when you haven’t even tried Assassin’s Creeds multiplayer :/

I rather enjoyed it in Brotherhood.

• glix says:

You haven’t even tried it? Well then.

The MP in Brotherhood added a LOT of replay value to the game for me, I wouldn’t have pre-orded it in the first place if I didn’t think I’d get my moneys worth out of both parts of the game, not just the SP. It was definitely a lot different from any other multiplayer I’ve ever played, and was also a lot more fun, because I was a lot less shit at it.

• Vinraith says:

Speaking as someone who ordinarily can’t stand competitive MP, AC’s MP is pretty brilliant. It’s not typical action game multiplayer, it’s something much more thoughtful and interesting.

• Sentient Waffle says:

I don’t know, it has just has zero appeal to me, not even enough for me to try it.

Kinda like the Saints Row 2 multiplayer, however I did try that once, didn’t like it. Loved the game though.

I’m also pretty picky about my MP games, it more or less has to be made for multiplayer, like BF3, Diablo, WoW, TF2 etc.

In short, I want my SP games to be SP, and my MP games to be MP :)

• Balm says:

I have other, better multiplayer games if I want to play that
      “Other” I understand, but how can you have “better”?
      There are no better multiplayer games then AssBro/Rev simply because it’s one of a kind, there are no other games in that genre.
      No active at least, TheShip is long dead and BloodyGoodTime has been born dead.

7. Creeping Death says:

Did Revelations on pc ever get that Vlad the Impaler dlc that came with the console version? (I think as a preorder bonus or something

Keymonk says:

I don’t hope that’s an official trailer. Someone’s friend logging on while in a trailer is… pretty stupid.

• Kits says:

Was about to say pretty much the same…Both silly and lazy.

• Bromeliad says:

It’s probably because the guy who uploaded the trailer did so by booting it up on his 360 and recording it. If it was from the actual trailer it would have stopped once the scenes were visibly switched a half-second later. Don’t knock it like that without thinking.
      …Not when there are so many other things about Revelations to knock on their own.

9. Kleppy says:

God DLC is so, so stupid. I can’t believe they’re actually making money over this.

jaheira says:

I know what you mean. I can’t stand it when products are offered to me either. Tesco tried to sell me some avocados the other day. I complained bitterly. I don’t even like avocados!

• Kleppy says:

Yeah, except those same avocados are leftovers you’d been getting for free just a couple years ago.

10. Balobam says:

At least this is good DLC, in that you’re not missing out on part of the game for not having it, much like TF2 hats.

It’s when I’m missing out on more game that DLC becomes the bane of my existence.

• CaspianRoach says:

It’s not good DLC, it’s pointless DLC. It adds nothing of value. Good DLC is what used to be called expansion packs.

• Davie says:

My god, expansion packs…I can barely remember the day. The last real expansion for a big-budget game that I can think of was Shivering Isles. I miss them in all their straightforward glory.

• Sentient Waffle says:

Except that Shivering Isles was also classified as… DLC :)

• Resonance says:

Dragon Age Origins also had a pretty decent expansion, but your point still stands.

• Brun says:

Shivering Isles was only DLC in the sense that you could download it from the internet. It was marketed as an expansion.

11. glix says:

I’d be much more interested in some story-based DLC, there’s a hell of a lot of stuff in the Altair sections that happened off-screen.

12. Twilightx says:

Is that a Doctor Who reference, or am I imagining it? :)) I love RPS.

13. Synesthesia says:

I only care if your grandmother’s knees had any arrows in them by the time of burial.

14. hoobajoo says:

“Oh.

For money?

Some new character skins for £3.19?

Oh.”

In fighting games, $5/3 pounds for alternate costumes for the entire cast would be considered GENEROUS. I don’t buy those either, mind, but hardly the worst example of this.

• Strange_guy says:

Killing Floor offers packs of 4 skins for £0.99 (except the Outbreak pack- no idea why that one is more) , though admittedly they are just reskins and these feature “personalised taunts, weapons and stylized assassination moves, achievements and trophies, and some customization items”. Not too terrible as reskin dlc’s go, certainly no horse armour, but still not the best deal.

15. kupocake says:

Now now, you mean ‘character models’ not ‘skins’. It’s ridiculous that we’re paying for this stuff whatever we’re calling it, but there’s no benefit in misrepresentation.

16. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Ubisoft have lost a lot of my respect these past years. They used to make some really fun games. Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil, Brothers In Arms, Dark Messiah. All good fun. I can’t really say I’m enjoying the way they do things these days, or their games for that matter. DRM, shoddy ports, not-so-good sequels, day one DLC. The name Ubisoft frankly just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What a shame.

• Creeping Death says:

Shoddy ports? I’ll admit that the DRM thing is a nightmare and the day one and preorder dlc can be a pain (the not so good sequels I’ll leave as that’s opinion), but I can honestly say I havent played a single Ubisoft game in the last 5 years that I would consider a shoddy port.

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

you might want to do some correcting there. ubisoft published Brother in arms, its developed by Gearbox
      same goes to Dark messiah, Ubisoft only published the game. the devs is arkane studios and two others

• Balm says:

AssBro had broken mouse acceleration in single player that made it nearly unplayable without gamepad. From Dust was broken on PC on release (I actually don’t know if they fixed it).

17. Wubbles says:

YES! I CAN KILL PEOPLE IN SO MANY WAYS NOW.

18. Skusey says:

Are these new animations? I haven’t played much of AC multiplayer, but I was impressed when I noticed that each character seemed to have different kill animations. If these are new, then that perhaps goes some small way to explaining the price.

• Balm says:

In AssRev animations are weapon dependant. Characters are allowed to switch default weapon to different type (cosmetic effect only), but no matter what character wields it all spears have same jumping stab and all maces have AnkleHit>Headbash animations.

I hadn’t saw moves I havn’t seen already in this trailer.

19. gwathdring says:

I like how the corsair temporarily misplaced her pants for the trailer. Or how she wears a revealingly cut skirt in the teaser image … on top of her pants. Oh well. Some people have odd taste in dress.

20. Valvarexart says:

xXEdryXx is online. Really? I mean, couldn’t they just crop it? Or take a new clip? Or was that just advertisement for Microsoft/Xbox?