Mud, Sweat And Gears: Dirt Showdown

By Adam Smith on December 13th, 2011 at 10:07 am.

I wanted to make a reference to Dustforce and it ended up here

Dirt! I’ve always thought it was an odd name for a series of racing games no matter how you choose to muck up its capital letter placement, although I quite like the idea of a snooker game called Chalk. Here is the newly announced Dirt Showdown, a spin-off from the main series that has more of the destruction and less of the speedy driving. It’s the kind of game that the press release informs me will be ‘uncaged’ in May 2012 rather than just released. That should tell you something about how off the hook Showdown is going to be. Cars spin around for your pleasure in the trailer below and I’ve also included some easily digestible details.

I liked the bit when the car did the thing.

Even to those who find the destruction derby aspect entirely offputting, this could actually be very good news indeed. You may remember that Jim enjoyed aspects of Dirt 3 very much but felt the gymkhana events were a bottleneck through which he was forced to pass, displeased and humiliated upon realising that he must make his car dance like a bear for a crowd of yokels. It would seem that Codemasters have recognised the error of their ways and will now put all the extreme events into Showdown, leaving Dirt 4, which we are also promised, to concentrate on the racing side of things.

Here’s the word on what Showdown’s extreme events will be. You must read them aloud, shouting everything in capitals at the top of your lungs in an exaggerated American accent. This applies even if you are already American.

NO HOLDS BARRED RACING EVENTS – Trade paint and use nitrous to blast past rivals in DiRT Showdown’s racing modes. Courses are littered with obstacles, pinch points, multiple-routes and ramps to deliver adrenaline-fuelled racing across spectacular courses.

BONE CRUNCHING DEMOLITION DERBY EVENTS – Crash, smash and bash your way through a range of demolition derby events, pushing our stunning damage engine to its spectacular limits.

EDGE OF CONTROL HOONIGAN EVENTS – A new accessible handling system lets you go wild in free-roaming, freestyle stunt parks. Compounds flooded with obstacles play host to a range of new challenges, from performing trick runs to competitive stunt events, explorations challenges and more.

Clearly I’m being dense, but can anyone explain ‘hoonigan’? A hooligan who has the appearance of former Parliamentary Chief Whip Geoff Hoon? Uncanny.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. chiroben says:

So does that mean that when nobody buys this that they will stop putting this rubbish in the “actual” game?

• chiroben says:

Oh… you already said that. That’ll teach me to read the first half-dozen words of an article and going into righteous indignation mode.

• Sweedums says:

and i was about to agree with you before reading your own reply to your comment and then the first dozen words of the article.

oh well. I agree. yes.

2. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

this.. in the times where repetitive sequels rules the market, this is rather unusual.

• EmS says:

take a look over to ea they split the need fro speed ip into 3 separate games so they can release one game per year (at least criterion does one of 3 so at least one decent nfs title)
      it highly probable that the same will happen to dirt (or maybe they go back to colin mc Rae when the rallying was the important bit and there were more than 30 minutes worth of track in the game)

3. Untruth says:

This reminds me – what happened to Demolition Derby?

• Reynoldio says:

Can people please stop writing ‘derby’ as, thanks to Adam telling me to use an American accent, I can’t stop hearing it in my head as ‘dur-bee’.

Thanks.

• Axess Denyd says:

OK, now I’m lost. How would you prefer to hear it? Dar-bee?

• Surgeon says:

It’s gotta be dur-bee.
      Demolition Dar-bee sounds like a bunch of charva’s hooning around the East Midlands, causing total carnage in a propa barry boy’d Scoob.
      No doubt with the ICE pumping out some serious Dubstep.

4. LimEJET says:

I can’t help but think that they’ve gone off in completely the wrong direction.

5. evilhayama says:

In Australia a “hoon” is a hooligan in a car, seems like it means the same in the dirtiverse too.

• Adam Smith says:

Thank you kindly.

• Inigo says:

Or they’re referring to the noise Ents make.

• Thany says:

Ken(ny from the) Block made the word hoon globably known with his gymkhama series and “hooning is not a crime” quote.
      hooning in dirt / ken block universe is pretty much everything you do in gymkhama, powerslides/drifting, donuts, handbreak turns, small jumps and such, whatever you can do with a car on en empty parkinglot, burns rubber and makes a lot of noise.

• Creeping Death says:

@Inigo Well that’s more of a hoom :)

My mind is now trying to wrap itself around the feasability of some kind of ent based mario kart

6. hazywaze says:

This is probably a step too far for me. I actually like a lot of what codies have done–for me striking the balance between realism and arcade. I don’t like the arcade type games with rubber banding and ridiculous physics and too much attitude–but so far codies stayed just on the right side of the line.
    Having said that dirt 3 freezes my hd4890 after around half an hour–no other games do so not sure if it is them or my struggling psu??

7. Skeleton Key says:

The music on the trailer reminds me of Angelos Epithemiou’s bit on Shooting Stars.

8. Flameberge says:

“I liked the bit when the car did the thing.”

Man, I liked it when the car did the stuff.

Dude. Erm. It was rad.

9. sassy says:

Hope the game has better crashes than that trailer. Sure the crashes had impact but the cars kind of just suddenly stop. I would expect much more deformation of the car and since this is a game, I want pieces flying everywhere as the cars bounce off each other and careen into parts of the environment. Burnout knew that a crash deserves lots of fanfare, this game better learn that lesson fast.

• Felixader says:

Burnout 3 – Takedown did know that. The Game after that made crashes comcial and races more like pinball and the game after THAT made it uselessly complicated and convoluted to find races at all and when you did they were on pretty boring, samey tracks.

10. prinzipi0 says:

hmmm scheiß logo

11. prinzipi0 says:

so and now a poll plz about; should be rps in german

• EmS says:

no! and I’m from germany

• Felixader says:

No again. And i am also from Germany.

Ich bin nicht wirklich ein Fan unserer Politiker aber wie unsere Angie derzeit versucht unser Geld nicht einach rauszuschmeissen finde ich trotzdem relativ gut.

12. deadstoned says:

Hope they drop GFWL on this one, I keep thinking about trying out some of the Dirt game’s then I remember GFWL and promptly look for other games.

13. Axess Denyd says:

Let me see if I can extra American it for you:

Add “SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY” to the beginning before the other yelling begins

Also end with “YOUR TICKET BUYS YOU THE WHOLE SEAT, BUT YOU’LL ONLY NEED……..THE EEEEEEDGE!!!!!!!”

14. RyuRanX says:

Nice move from Codemasters. They are separating the X-Games game from the Rally game, so they can release a Dirt game per year.

15. pmanpman says:

Or maybe we can just give up on codemasters entirely…The only really good half decent racing game they ever made was fuel and even that was flawed.

I wish the FIA would give someone good (like SimBin or Slightly Mad Studios) the rights to an F1 game because then we would get something that works.

16. fgjfgj says: