Alan Wake PC: Really Real, Early 2012

By Alec Meer on December 14th, 2011 at 4:11 pm.

Yes, squinty torch-waver Alan Wake is indeed headed PC-wards. Specifically: Q1 2012, on Steam. As suspected. Clicketh yon image above for a larger version, and see below for the first details.

Not too much info as yet (and perhaps there doesn’t need to be, given how long the game’s been around on console), but: “Coming in early 2012, the game will give PC gamers the Alan Wake experience they have been patiently waiting for. Remedy is a developer with deep roots in the PC space (Death Rally and Max Payne 1 and 2), so the game will have the high resolution polish that longtime fans will expect.”

The PC version will include both The Signal and The Writer downloadable content. As for why Rememdy changed their mind about the PC edition of the game, here’s their explanation: “We weren’t going to release a PC version… then we took an arrow to the knee.” Can’t argue with that.

Here’s an old trailer for The Writer DLC, just because.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. C418 says:

Well finally. I have been spoilered enough without even having been able to play it.

• Baka says:

I’m happy now that I only watched the first chapter of a Let’s Play for it. Even though it’s nothing like what was promised at first, the story looked pretty captivating.

• Flint says:

I read the plot through out of interest quite some time ago but it’s been such a while I’ve completely forgotten about it, so I’ll be able to play this nice and fresh nonetheless.

• 2late2die says:

I just hope that releasing it this much later than the original will mean it’s a proper PC port with proper and fully customizable controls, a rich array of graphics options and no “press any key to start” anywhere in sight. (oh and I would’ve also mentioned “bug free” but these days it seems like that’s a ridiculous expectation)

2. StingingVelvet says:

Good news. As a PC only guy it doesn’t really matter when or where it came out before, it’s a new game for me and I like having more games to choose from.

• dsch says:

Tomorrow’s headline: Mysterious attacks on Rockstar SD employees; arrows fired.

• Inarborat says:

Supposedly, the code for RDR is a complete mess and it’s a miracle the game was released at all. Infinite sadface because despite the sub-sub-sub HD PS3 version I played at my buddy’s place, the game was fantastic. :(

Good on Remedy and I’ll be there day 1.

• DrGonzo says:

If RDRs code is a mess I would hate to see GTA 4s!

3. abigbat says:

Original was excellent, looking forward to this.

4. neolith says:

I didn’t play it, but wasn’t Alan Wake’s gameplay described as… mediocre?

• PatrickSwayze says:

The game as a whole was greater than the some of it’s parts.

• Moni says:

There’s not much variation in the gameplay, but it’s solidly competent, and a bit different from the usual man-shoots. There’s probably three or four really good set pieces too.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The fighting is very fluid and satisfying when I got the hang of it, but there wasn’t enough variation in it to keep me interested for long periods. The game itself is organised into “episodes”, which make good points to stop and come back to.

• DocSeuss says:

No more mediocre than Max Payne’s.

5. Dzamir says:

At first I read “Q4 2011″ and I was happy. Then I read “2012″ and I became sad. Finally I noticed the “Q1″ and I became happy again.

6. skinlo says:

I guess they didn’t make enough from the console release so are trying again. Might pick this up on sale, its not a must buy for me. Also, from the screenshot, whats up with the light?? Doesn’t look particularly realistic.

• Moni says:

Volumetric lighting is pretty expensive, so they would have to be using an imperfect implementation. It adds a good amount of atmosphere to the game though.

• Screamer says:

@Skinio
      My thoughts exactly.

7. Flukie says:

BETRAYAL!

Only kidding, but this game was shown running on PC over 5 years ago.

Took their bloody time, still hope its as good as it looked back then.

8. RiptoR says:

Oh the b*st*rds…

First they’re like “No, we will never release it on pc, hell will freeze over sooner than that happening”. (NOT an actual quote before anyone whines :p)

So I bought the 360 version, which I still have to play some day (too many good pc games in my backlog).

Now they’re like: “Want to borrow our global warming Satan, to help with unfreezing hell?” (again, NOT an actual quote before anyone whines :p)

9. oceanclub says:

Considering it was a bit dissapointing when it originally came out and didnt’ sell that much (100K on XBox, was it?) I’m not sure there’s going to be a huge clamour to buy it when it comes out. Better late than never, I guess, and perhaps it’ll be a Steam sale pickup for me at some point. I will drag my couch over to my PC desk so I can get the optimal experience, of course, har har har I kill me.

P.

• Harkkum says:

I guess that you have somewhat outdated information. I guess that the latest figure puts their sales to around 1.5 million copies which makes it a decent seller by any standard. Therefore, I don’t think that the bad sales would have been the reason for them to port the game over to PC. I’d rather imagine that the decent sales was what guaranteed them with the assets to focus on porting it over to PC.

• DocSeuss says:

Alan Wake sold 500k in the first month of release, and a million in the year after that. That basically puts it at the same range as the extremely beloved Demon’s Souls.

Part of the reason it sold poorly was because Rockstar moved up their release for Red Dead Redemption, arguably the most anticipated game of 2010, by a few weeks, so that it coincided with Alan Wake’s launch.

Then you had people who were angry that Alan Wake was a horror game in third person–they continually berated it for not being scary or relying on survival enough. Basically, people were expecting Silent Hill 2, and when they got Max Payne by way of Stephen King (which is what the game was always going to be), they were really upset by that.

As a game… well, it’s like Max Payne, except that you use light to regenerate health, not pills. Also, the cutscenes are done regularly and not like comic book cutscenes, but that’s about it.

For what it’s worth, I consider it to be 2010′s best game and have replayed it three times. I’ll be playing it once again when the PC version hits.

10. Deadpool46 says:

Please don’t have Games for Windows Live *fingers crossed*

11. Vayl says:

But wasn’t the “most compelling way to play” on the XBOX” and “macthing the game to the rigth platform”? Wonder what changed….

12. elfbarf says:

-snip-

13. db1331 says:

Someone dig up one of the old articles where they gave their reasons for abandoning the PC release so that we can mock it. I don’t even remember if it was piracy, or the Xbox allowing for more depth somehow. It should at least be worth a laugh.

• oceanclub says:

“Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience “Alan Wake” was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive.”

P>

• Unaco says:

Couches.

The developers claimed the best way to play was while sitting on a couch. In front of a big screen. They realised “the most compelling way to experience “Alan Wake” was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive.” It wasn’t suited to the intimacy of the PC.

• oceanclub says:

I find this especially ironic since, playing Wii on my coach, I have to lean forward so the Wiimote is picked up by the console. This is far more uncomfortable than my PC chair, and certainly not an optimal experience.

P.

• db1331 says:

Hahaha, wow. The couch excuse was better than anything I could have imagined. I guess I need to pass on this game then, since I only have a chair at my desk. I guess I could get my wife to help me carry the loveseat upstairs. Would that at least give me a somewhat-compelling Alan Wake experience, if not the full blown-compelling experience a full-sized couch offers?

• oceanclub says:

If they’re clever, they’ll issue an _actual_ couch as DLC; mail delivery from IKEA, maybe.

P.

• Paul says:

Yes, MS idiotperson said that idiotic drivel. Remedy guys always wanted PC version, but they were out of money, took MS’s helping hand, and MS canned the PC version.

I suppose Remedy are self-funding the PC version.

• Milky1985 says:

“Let’s mock them by taking photos of ourselves having dragged our couches up to our PC desks to play “Amnesia”.”

Difference is here that you dragged the couch up so that you could hide behind it for amnesia.

Then you realised it was dark there and your sanity was dropping but you knew the monster was still there and you shouldn’t turn around but you had to to see if you could run your character to the nearest wardrobe to hide in but the screaching was still happening!

Basically they have different uses

• oceanclub says:

I’m old enough to remember when Doctor Who was really scarey, and actually remember hiding behind the sofa (as we call it over here), peering around (probably with one eye closed, just in case).

P.

14. Ysellian says:

Wondering how this game will stack against Amnesia.

• PatrickSwayze says:

It’s more a constant atmosphere of unease than anything…

15. PaulOHara says:

I haven’t bought Alan Wake because I was hoping it would come out for PC. But now I can stop hoping, but planning to maybe finally buy this game.

16. Hakkesshu says:

Good for them, but I hope they sell it cheaply, because it’s really, really inconsistent and the combat basically sucks for the most part.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Combat was actually pretty good. Lots of ammo and a bit of item management…

17. UnravThreads says:

I’ll probably get it, but I won’t be getting excited or anything until it’s sat next to me. If MGS are publishing it, which I would be expecting, then… I don’t know. I’ll remain on the fence, their previous published titles have been rather poor in quality for the most part.

Yes, Fable III, I’m looking at you. Get back in your corner and put your dunce hat back on.

18. shoptroll says:

YAY!

Now port Death Rally iOS to a platform that uses proper controllers, please?

• Harkkum says:

I have my original CD here somewhere…I could have imagined that you would get it from GoG or somewhere.

• shoptroll says:

The classic version was released as freeware by Remedy a few years ago, but they contracted a couple other developers to work on a revamped version for iOS. Which is great and all, but a virtual joystick just doesn’t work well with this game type. I’d love to see the new version on PC or the consoles.

• kyynis says:

I was going to sarcastically link this installer at Remedy’s site, but there’s a new Death Rally? Why the hell isn’t it on Steam already? They have too much money or something?

19. Chris D says:

Due to my strict “If it’s not on PC it doesn’t exist” policy (There’s only so much disappointment a man can take), I have no idea whether this is exciting or not.

20. deadly.by.design says:

Nice! But will they expect us to pay full price?

21. airtekh says:

This looks like something I’d be interested in, but the lukewarm response to the console versions has me slightly concerned.

22. Hodge says:

The belated PC release of an ancient console game is something I could really get behind… if it was the right game.

23. magnus says:

I’ll buy it all that needs to happen now for starbreeze to do a PC covertion of the Darkness. (the original one)

• Apples says:

Yes. I played it on the 360, but The Darkness is (I think) a better game than Alan Wake and should really be ported over. In fact I thought it already had been for some reason…

• Dreamhacker says:

And Heavy Rain! Don’t forget it just yet!

24. ananachaphobiac says:

Oh fine! Alan Wake just thinks he can flick his hair, flash a smile and I’ll come running back. Well it ain’t happening, he broke my heart once already and I’m not going to let him in a second time. *sniff*

• PatrickSwayze says:

Don’t cut your nose off to spite your face…

• ananachaphobiac says:

But if I get the finger snap thing just right, I can go on the Jeremy Kyle show!

25. Carter says:

Literally the reason I bought an Xbox, really enjoyed it the gameplay got a little trite towards the end but the story, the use of music and TV style flashbacks worked really well I thought

26. morrigan says:

I’m not really that excited, or interested in Alan Wake anymore. I was certainly when they showed off that impressive tech demo way back when Intel was pushing their Quad line, but after dropping the PC version near the last minute, and now abruptly announcing it just makes me feel indifferent.

Oh well.

27. Phinor says:

I’ll go ahead and say that Alan Wake’s success on PC comes down to price. Year ago brand new X360 copies of Alan Wake were available for less than ten pieces of your local currency ($, €, £). Are they going to try the L.A. Noire route and go with full 50€ price (and most likely fail to sell any meaningful amount) or perhaps try something like 30€ as the initial price? Having played some hours of the X360 version I know my price point is in the 15€ range but that will probably take until Steam Summer sales.

We’ll see. Supposedly they are bundling Death Rally with Alan Wake at least on Steam but that shouldn’t affect the price much.

28. rocketman71 says:

Ok, I can maybe take a couch to my PC, but installing Vista?. No fucking way!.

Because Vista is still necessary to play this, right?. RIGHT?.

29. Demiath says:

Like many other RPS readers, I felt the game fell way short of its potential and overstayed its welcome with shallow repetitive combat and a plot which started out as a reasonably promising Twin Peaks knock-off but became too convoluted and downright silly for its own good. Nonetheless, the atmospheric environments could do with a facelift given the controversial sub-HD visuals of the console port (incidentally, a Google search on the term “sub-HD” gives Alan Wake as the first result), so I will probably end up grabbing the PC version as well. At least I never did get around to those DLC packs..

Oh, and the live action mini series “Bright Falls” which preceeded Alan Wake’s initial release was surprisingly competent and to some extent a more worthwile experience than the game itself…

30. Nick says:

I want to play the Alan Wake they teased for months in PC gaming magazines, with a scarf and no gun.

31. Figday says:

About friggin time..
    5 years eh. Better late than never i guess.

32. thereisnothingleft says:

Hi all long time reader first time poster!

I think what this may show is that there is actually money in pc gaming no matter how much so many developers cry poor. Though I think it is also mostly because of steam which, by the way, does anyone else think of this song when it comes to steam?

could be just me and me addiction. But one thing steam does is make it so easy to buy a game that even if you don’t buy on release its always there, just a steam sale and a click away… cant wait for the next steam sale =)

finally love this site, the writers, but also the commentors, it is a great community.

p.s. i know there is money is pc gaming, its all one big crock.

33. Moni says:

The most interesting part of the Alan Wake character is that he’s voice by someone who isn’t Nolan North.

34. TotalBiscuit says:

I’m not interested, sorry. If you flat out ignore the platform, you don’t get to come crawling back a year later offering an old game for full price. I recall Epic trying that with Gears of War and ballsing it up completely, then blaming piracy.

• Kaira- says:

I do believe you should point your blaming finger towards Microsoft. They were publisher and funded pretty much all of the Alan Wake.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Exactly my thoughts. Had the game sold 4 million copies we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Games that actively ignore the PC platform that magically come out on PC way after the publisher realizes that the game completely flopped are incredibly easy to spot nowadays, and Alan Wake is most certainly one of them. Sorry, MS, we’re not exactly desperate to play the shit that didn’t sell on your console. You canceled the PC version fully aware of what you were doing, you own up to that mistake.

35. Tuor says:

I’d *love* to play this, but, well, I was told that the experience wouldn’t be as intimate as it deserves and that the whole thing will suffer from being on the PC, so I think I’ll pass.

My more honest response: yeah, whatever.

36. Spiny says:

Does anyone care any more? It’s two years old. I was hot for this on the initial release but I wasn’t going to buy an xbox for it. Now, notsomuch.

37. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I bought it for the console of my choice, but when I found out how annoying and invisible the collectibles are… I just gave up. Damn you, gaming OCD. Some day, Alan!

38. Eynonz says:

Well i’m glad that I completely avoided this game on the XBOX 360 and videos of LP’s on youtube.

39. Etherealsteel says:

Not interested.. already have dozens of other games backlogged that I need to finish and are way… better. Bastion.. for example.

40. Freud says:

This is the proof of Microsoft are serious when it comes to PC gaming that we have been waiting for since the last time they were serious about PC gaming. Might have involved Alan Wake that time too. Don’t remember. It’s hard keeping track.

41. TheEggplant says:

Gee guys I already ponied up for the collector’s edition. I’m really not interested in buying it again.

42. Bungle says:

I have seen the mountains and valleys of Skyrim in DX11. Alan Wake no longer interests me. I would have bought the hell out of that game when it was new if they hadn’t let Microsoft buy them and squash the PC version.