Drakensang Online Adds “Agile” Rangers

By Jim Rossignol on December 14th, 2011 at 8:15 am.

Moderately-entertaining free multiplayer-only browser-based Diablo ‘em up Drakensang Online is going to expand before Christmas. Bigpoint have told us that “The NORLANDE expansion update is bringing several new quests, more than a dozen new levels, numerous monsters and champions, new bosses, and new character items and equipment to the game.” More importantly, there’s now some additional class variety with Rangers. These chaps are “agile archers, but also pack a punch.” According to the info “The Rangers will be accompanied by a whole new skill system that makes skills easier and better to use”. This is, apparently, part of increasing the currently limited skill sets for all characters, and making the game’s customisation have a bit more depth. So that’s good!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Zakkeh says:

Need more updates to free to play games. That’s what keeps people around.

2. Xaromir says:

Notch wrote something interesting a while ago about free to play titles. I have to say that i find it quite sad to see a promising franchise like that go like this. While not all free to play titles are bad, most are. I hope they didn’t buy the Black Eye together with the Drakensang name.

• UnravThreads says:

Drakensang Online has nothing to do with the Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye ruleset. It’s being made by BigPoint Berlin (who were Radon Labs, the developers of Drakensang/The River of Time), and the only other link to the previous Drakensang games is its name.

3. Bluerps says:

Is it really “Norlande”? Because “Nordlande” would make more sense, since that means “northern lands” in german.

4. Bungle says:

There is a new generation of high quality free games that will make all this stuff just disappear. I’m currently in the Super MNC beta and it is an awesome game. The level of polish and production value makes these old ones look like dinosaurs.

5. adonf says:

@Jim: The previous post on RPS about this game stated that the beta was open but you guys never said anything about the game going live. I know it’s your site and you post what you want to, but as an avid reader I wished your coverage of games were more reliable. Why cover the beta but not the launch, how is it more newsworthy? It’s not just this game too, it happens with most games that don’t get an Impressions or a Wot I think; there could be tens of posts until release but nothing once the game is out. And I know it’s not just this video games site that’s guilty of this, but it’s almost the only one I read so I’m relying on you for this kind of information.

In this case I wanted to try Drakensang Online and couldn’t be bothered with the open beta but I missed the launch and now have lost all interest. I doesn’t have to be a full post each time, but a weekly list of games that you have been covering and were recently released would fill the part.

(I hope this comes out as “constructive criticism” and not as “entitlement” because I really enjoy reading this site and I’m grateful for it.)

• HisMastersVoice says:

I guess not mentioning the final release could have something to do with it being exactly like open beta, only with a new sticker on the box, so to speak.

Not to mention you haven’t missed much. The game’s mechanics are okay in the short run, when all you want is to swing the axe at zombies a few times but turn out to be very shallow once you get by the first stage and there are ginormous gaps in content, causing you to grind the same dungeon endlessly to get two more levels to progress to the next area where you’ll do the same. The loot is generally boring and useless as you’re constantly short on in game currency you need to buy identification crystals, so you’ll run with a backpack full of high level gear you can’t use and wont throw away, while actually wearing mundane crap that’s barely better than the things you can buy from merchants.

• dawnmane says:

@hisMastersVoice: Having played the game for a while, Ican confirm that your description is incredibly accurate!

• Baines says:

The open beta seemed pretty shallow even before I reached a spot where I needed to grind. UI wasn’t great. It was a little buggy. And it was simply fairly boring.