LittleBigBunchLaunchesAtLast

By Alec Meer on December 14th, 2011 at 2:07 pm.

Sorry, but can't bring myself to write BIG in capitals every time.

“What did you do during the great bundle wars of Winter 2011, daddy?”
“I posted about them, sweetheart. I posted about them all. I… I’ve seen so much. I’ll always carry that with me.”

We already know about pay-what-you-want charity bundle LittleBigBunch, but until 2pm today we weren’t able to so much as look at its website. Now we can, for it lives and is live. It’s a grand old package of PC games – Frozen Synapse, Explodemon, Serious Sam Double D, Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee and New Star Soccer 5. A pleasantly varied package, I’d say.

Unlike other bundles, not a penny of your self-selected amount of cash goes towards the bundle providers (who in this case are digital distributors GetGames). All of your payment goes to the games’ developers and excellent charity GamesAid, which corrals the games industry to raise money for and otherwise support children and young people in the UK.

You just pick how much goes to each. Hooray for philanthropy/making indie developers a little more comfortable. FYI: FZ, Explodemon and Munch are DRM-free, while Soccer entails and activation key and Sam has Steamworks DRM.

QUOTES FROM IMPORTANT MEN:

GamesAid trustee and Eidos life president Ian Livingstone OBE: “This is a great initiative for GamesAid and I would like to say a massive thanks to the indie developers who have kindly put their games into littleBIGbunch. These are great games and I am sure littleBIGbunch will be well received by gamers everywhere.”

Miles Jacobson OBE GamesAid co-founder and Sports Interactive bossman: “GamesAid is a uniquely democratic charity and this method of making these great games available follows those values. Hats off to Get Games and the devs for making this happen.”

LBB will run until January 2nd, so you’ve got a little while.

, , , , , .

1. The Tupper says:

I played the time-limited demo of new Star Soccer and (despite not liking football at all in real life) thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s proper old-school, that is: jackets for goalposts etc.

2. SiHy_ says:

I either already own the games or don’t really want them. But I’m just addicted to buying these indie bundles! Damn these no good goodie good doers.

• Suits says:

Shame you can’t customize lower than 1.50, its either that or 0 and that just costs them money.

The email they sent me didnt have any activation keys.. -.- no ”resend” button

3. Bhazor says:

Just want to say Munchs Oddysee is brilliant. Along with Stranger’s Wrath it was one of the best games of last gen and this from someone who never liked the first two games.

Not sure how good the port is though.

4. DeanLearner says:

BUNDLE ALL THE THINGS!

5. nn0r says:

No Steam keys? Probably gonna skip this one then, since I already own Munch’s Odyssey and Frozen Synapse.

• Suits says:

Serious Sam uses SteamWorks so it does get added to your account then i think

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

As silly as it is I’m feeling the same way when I already have FS and won’t get to the rest of them for months I’d much prefer they all be located in one easy to find place like Steam or Desura.

6. Kdansky says:

That’s a hard sell with all these titles that make me go decidedly “meh”*, and another seven hundred billion (give or take) unplayed games on the list.

*Except Frozen Synapse, which I own.

I still believe that it was a mistake of the FZ guys to ever get into the cheap bundles. That game should be able to sell for a few years at 10$ or so. Now, they’ve saturated their customer base, I fear.

7. whoistheprotagonistofthehalflifeseries says:

What should I do with a bundle that has no steam keys? I’m captured in logic circle I want those games but theres no steam. what should I do? help!

• SiHy_ says:

Buy them, install them, add them to your Steam library and back up install exes to dvd?

Colthor says:

Relish not needing Steam to play them?

• whoistheprotagonistofthehalflifeseries says:

actually steam is somewhat the holy grail for someone like me who is playing games across 8 boxes and 3 plattforms. all pc of course. macs are only pcs with support wheels that is.

lhzr says:

no steam keys means no achievements and no library increase. might as well get them from piratebay.

bought all the other bundles, though, even if i had most of the games already (from the devs, at launch), just to be able to add them to steam, even if i probably won’t play them again.

none of my gamer acquaintances would even consider getting a non steam game, so yeah, being able to offer steam keys is a pretty big deal.

edit: oh, and to answer your question, whoistheprotagonistofthehalflifeseries, wait for another “normal” bundle, of course

@SiHy_: sure, right after i finish ordering this santana greatest hits collection that i just saw on the shopping channel..

• FCA says:

@lhzr: Not sure if you’re joking…
      No achievements: I don’t care for them, but I might wrap my head around that some people enjoy getting them if they’re there. But no achievements => no buy? WTF? Many games, even on Steam, do not have achievements at all. Is that a reason to pirate them?
      No library increase: OK, I get it now, your Steam account is your e-peen.

I don’t get the “Steam key or no buy” mentality. I like Steam to buy games, and I understand not wanting to give out credit card details to too many 3rd parties, but even for people with many computers, Steam is actually restrictive (flaky offline mode, no 2 logins at the same time), and you’re giving your credit card details to the bundle people anyway (or to Paypal, or whatever) even if they send you Steam keys.

lhzr says:

FCA, yes, achievements seemed like a vacuous consolish thing to me too, until i ran across some that were more than “here’s a medal for passing the tutorial”.

have you played binding of isaac, for example? without the achievements pointing the way to the unlocks you’d have to keep alt-tabbing to a wiki to see what else you can find. also you’ll need to open notepad to keep track of which you’ve got so far. and you won’t be able to compare your progress to your friend’s.

also the library size is a personal pride thing, i see e-peen as something to brag about online and i don’t do that because i don’t have online friends. i just like to see games that i like on that list. it makes me feel good for knowing i supported the devs who made stuff that i enjoyed.

phlebas says:

@lhzr: without the achievements pointing the way to the unlocks you’d have to keep alt-tabbing to a wiki to see what else you can find.
      In the bad old days we’d just have had to keep playing the game to see what else we could find. Maybe talked to friends away from the computer to see what they’d found. Maybe doubt their dubious claims of having found the trailer in Lunar Jetman. Maybe never be sure we’d found everything there was to find. Thank goodness achievements have saved us from all that!

lhzr says:

>>In the bad old days we’d just have had to keep playing the game to see what else we could find.

i’ll agree with you that school children don’t need achievements, since they have school-mates and playground pals. achievements are big boy/girl stuff !

• D3xter says:

I’m actually with him on this one, was thinking about getting this too as I haven’t got Frozen Synapse, which would be the only thing I’m mildly interested in.

It’s got nothing to do with “no Steam, no buy” though as much as it does with simple convenience, I’ve got Steam running most of the times nowadays and even set up categories like “Games to Play” so I find the stuff I’m actually interested in starting at any given point I feel like playing easier. I usually get bigger releases Retail, cause they’re cheaper there and I’m pretty sure I won’t forget I was meaning to play that, also use GoG for some downloads, but aside from that, especialy on low-price/indie download stuff they would probably permanently end up somewhere in the unending depths of one of my harddrives for me to never look at again…

I’m also pretty sure I will still have my Steam account in a few years, while I can’t say the same about an e-mail I got from some website or downloads I got from there, hell I had enough problems losing some of my big games that came in a box and everything before Digital Distribution turned up, I’m even rebuying some games I already own if they’re cheap enough for the sake of convenience xD

• FartFarticus says:

@D3xter: If only there was some way to store our games online WITHOUT steam!

One can dream!

• MellowKrogoth says:

Fuck Steam, seriously. I don’t mind it much on my main gaming PC, but on my 1GHz/1Gig RAM netbook the amount of RAM it uses (100+ MB) and the time it takes to start is ludicrous. And gods forbid I forget to put it in offline mode while still online before moving to a place with no wifi. Can I just play my game please?

(Thankfully you can bypass Steam and directly start a few games that don’t use Steamworks and your blasted achievements… like Cthulu saves the world, but those are rare.)

What I DO want though is guaranteed redownload for life from somewhere… like Gog.com or Gamersgate who don’t enforce DRM on all games. Or even redownloads “for the foreseeable future” like the Humble Bundle offers from their site. Or, at give me the DRM-free game AND a Steam key, so I can rely on Steam in case I lose the game archive.

• Gnoupi says:

GetGames lets you redownload your games. So they are stored online, with a way to recover them later.

We are at a surprising age. We feel more sure about stuff which is hosted on a server lost somewhere, from a third part firm which can stop service anytime, than about storing something you bought on your own DVDs or HDs.

Weird.

8. Jockie says:

New Star Soccer and Serious Sam and Munch make this the standout indie bundle of the last 3 days for me, despite quite sturdy competition.

Shame I already own Frozen Synapse about a zillion times.

9. SiHy_ says:

Is the link to download Serious Sam Double D not working for anyone else? It just keeps opening the same page in a new tab.

• SiHy_ says:

Never mind. Checked my emails and it appears that you’re given a Steam code for Serious Sam Double D.

• oh_wayne says:

They haven’t sent me any emails so I can’t get Double D, what a pain.

10. BurningPet says:

Am i the only one who is bothered by the page graphic design/?

• whoistheprotagonistofthehalflifeseries says:

is it awakening your inner rorschach? If it conveys any messages like “rape” or “kill” or “buy ps3″ feel free to ignore it.

• BurningPet says:

Sorry, just cant read it with the font who was never designed for screen reading or the tad overdone “notebook” look. no biggy, seems like a good bundle.

• Suits says:

The game desciptions were in white font on a white background originally, smart..

11. TheGameSquid says:

Don’t think I’ll be picking this up. I already have Frozen Synapse, Munch (on Xbox AND PC) and Serious Sam DD. I’m not really interested in the soccer game (I don’t like soccer in general), so I would only be buying this for Explodemon…

12. Jabberwocky says:

I have bundled a half eaten hard-boiled egg, a broken shoe-lace, three squirrels, and one mostly unused tissue. Pay-what-you-want available. You may choose to pay me directly, or else contribute to my “vodka and cigarettes” personal, er, charitable fund.

• Cim says:

I already have a broken shoe-lace, three squirrels and one mostly unused tissue… so I’d only be buying it for the half eaten hard-boiled egg, so I think I’ll have pass on this one.

13. adonf says:

Payment is by Paypal or Visa/MC. Why do they have to use Paypal, it’s the most evil corporation in the world!

jezcentral says:

Surely the most important thing is, as you highlight, YOU don’t have to?

• Jabberwocky says:

Sometimes to play the game, you gotta dance with the devil.

• johnpeat says:

You have ‘PayPal’ next to Visa and Mastercard and you describe the former as ‘the most evil corporation in the world’…

This suggests you’re about 3 years old or massively ignorant of history – either way, go learn things…

• Starky says:

Fucking spam filter – stop eating my comments. Useless bloody thing.

Visa and master card have ruined the lives hundreds of thousands of people, and are in a very major way responsible for the “loan first, questions later” banking philosophy that almost brought entire world to financial ruin.

So yeah, what John said.

• adonf says:

Yes, I’m 3 years old and massively ignorant of history.

Still, Visa and MC do not sell credit, they sell a card network to banks. Their customers are banks, not people. I’m sure they’ve done some evil stuff but they’re more enablers than the real bad guys. They’re not the one convincing poor people to get a credit card with a 20% interest rate and charging them insane fees when those people get behind on their payments.

Paypal on the other hand deal with actual people and they are not as regulated as banks can be. They do the actual damage by blocking accounts for silly reasons and asking their customers to jump though hoops to get their money back. Seriously, everyone at Paypal’s customer service should be shot and then burnt to the stake. Then shot again.

Also you may look up the meaning of the word hyperbole.

• TensaiBoy says:

To be fair the general internet discourse makes it pretty hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.
      Also, yummy OpiNions on my pizza.

14. Girfuy says:

Excellent, I’ll get this later tonight for Frozen Synapse alone, I’ve heard great things about that game.

15. netizensmith says:

404 on that http://www.littlebigbunch.com/ link. I assume it’s the crap DNS we have here or is anyone else getting this?

16. Alien426 says:

Ordering didn’t work for me, so I took at a look at the page’s source code. Horrible. I’m reconsidering that purchase.

• johnpeat says:

Thanks for sharing – no idea WHY you did but I guess you feel better at least…

• Alien426 says:

Well, I think when we see an RPS article tomorrow about how messed up that Get Games system is, you’ll see this differently.

“DRM free”? Then why do I have to log in to the Get Games account to install Explodemon?

Why do I have to start a special downloader to get the Munch’s Oddysee files? Why does that download result in my virus scanner going off?

Why could I not download Serious Sam: Double D on the same page that all the other games were downloadable from?

The trouble with littlebigbunch.com should have been the first indication. The non-working Buy Now button the second. THIS INDIE BUNDLE IS BAD!

17. Suits says:

Ugh, just donated to someone at the door

phlebas says:

Recommended by the Warlock of Firetop Mountain? Nice.

19. Xaromir says:

I’m officially over saturated.

20. rubybliels says:

This makes me sick. The charity is based in the UK and mainly supports people in the UK?! It is a WORLDWIDE bundle, the charity should be WORLDWIDE (unlike this joke which very prominently calls itself “a UK video games industry charity”, no I can’t swallow this one). The audacity of some people!

• shindeiru says:

Oh, you mean like how the humble bundle goes to the American Red Cross and is also a Worldwide bundle? Not really sure why your hating on a charity anyway just because its based in the UK, its operations may well go beyond the UK and if it doesn’t it is still helping people out regardless of nationality.

• adonf says:

@shindeiru: Have you had your sarcasm detector checked recently?

@rubybliels: I think I’m one of the guys you’re making fun of. The thing is I have no problem with Child’s Play, or maybe Games Aid (although it’s not as clear to me what they do). Sick kids are sick kids, whatever country they live in. Helping 100 American kids is just as good as helping 50 American kids and 50 British kids. And that kind of charity that brings video games to sick kids is always gonna be a local initiative. Humanitarian relief on the other hand is more a global issue.

• shindeiru says:

Didn’t see any sarcasm. Maybe trolling in which case I was a victim.

• TensaiBoy says:

Shindeiru your name is kinda depressing :o

While i would prefer an organization that acts worldwide (if they do disregard) i agree that shitting on charities (unless they are thieves) is silly, actually am seeing this happening somewhere else at this moment and it’s a bit sad.

People in need are in need, Spend Spend Spend!
      At this rate I will be in need in no time, bundles bundles bundles.

21. MythArcana says:

Five failed attempts using two different web browsers and still no confirmation email. That page won’t work with Firefox 3, had to use to incredibly evil IE9 just to use their links. No clue if the page was secure or not. Now, no email confirmations of anything of the sort and no download links to speak of.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

*Going back to playing Stone Soup and Vulture NetHack. Say goodnight, Gracie.

22. fauxC says:

Gah. I paid for this an hour and a half ago, got myself addicted to NSS and I’m still waiting for the email :(

• Zockeredwin says:

Same here. No email for about 4 hours. That means no key for Serious Sam, too :(

• ChainsawCharlie says:

Same here. sadpanda

• oh_wayne says:

I just got a whole bunch of emails at once after ordering it and some other games around 4 hours ago, apparently they’re having problems keeping up cus of piracy or something, but they know you’re waiting.

23. SquareWheel says:

“while Soccer entails and activation key and Sam has Steamworks DRM.”

Well, I would have bought it otherwise.

24. LintMan says:

“What did you do during the great bundle wars of Winter 2011, daddy?”

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Direct X installers on fire off the shoulder of Steam. I watched DRM-beams glitter in the dark near the Gamers gate. All those moments will be lost in time… like tears in rain… Time to die.

25. FS-regular says:

If you’re getting this bundle, you can also get Frozen Synapse’s strategy and tactics guide for half its price with the coupon code “getgamesgo”.