Doublefine’s Stacking Is Coming To PC!

By Adam Smith on December 16th, 2011 at 2:07 pm.

The graphics in the PC version are incredibly realistic

When Costume Quest arrived on PC, I hoped it meant Doublefine loved us again. Now, in a characteristically jolly announcement during the X-Play Best of 2011 awards, it has been revealed that the beautifully characterised and wonderfully inventive Stacking is on its way too. All that remains is to sulk until Trenched Iron Brigade stomps onto PC as well. Stacking, for those who do not know, is a game wherein the player controls “Charlie Blackmore, the world’s tiniest Russian stacking doll” and “jumps into more than 100 unique dolls”. It’s set within one of the finest worlds I’ve played around in for some time. The news happens in the video below. Skip to 1.02 to get straight to it.

If that’s being a pain in the backside for you, you can watch it here. Perhaps you’d like a trailer for Stacking as well? I happen to have one concealed within this doll which is concealed within another doll which is concealed within the toy chest that contains the secret shame that is my doll collection.

No date yet, but I’m tempted to say ‘rush and all is forgiven’.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

thekeats1999 says:

Loved this game on the PS3. Will probably pick it up when released.

Presentation is excellent, almost guarantee there is mothing else that looks like it. A silent movie with sepia colours using russian dolls (can’t remember the proper name for them).

Particularly enjoyed the boat level.

2. jellydonut says:

Matrushka dolls.

In any case.. what an odd game.

thekeats1999 says:

Thanks. While it basically an adventure game using dolls rather than inventory to solve problems the look alone makes it feel so unique.

3. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Loved this game for a while, until my general loathing of xbox has prevented me from firing it up. It’s been so long that I might be tempted to buy it again on a superior platform, or ISN’T THAT JUST WHAT THEY WANT ME TO DO?

thekeats1999 says:

Oh and while trenched looks a good game i would still rather have Brutal Legend (crappy rts included) as i loved the combat system and driving around in the car.

Plus the rts possibly wouldn’t be too bad with a mouse.

Excellent soundtrack as well.

Not very likely though.

DevinH says:

I would double dip on Brutal Legend, but it’s not going to happen. Double Fine said they’d have to relicense all of the music in the game for a PC release, which would be way too expensive.

• D3xter says:

This. I don’t care about Trenched, but I would totally dig Brütal Legend, unlikely as it may be.

• FakeKisser says:

I know Brutal Legend won’t happen, but I also would love to see it on PC.

Lars Westergren says:

YES! When I first saw trailers from this, it really gave me the quirky-and-original vibe I got from Psychonauts. And I was really sad that it didn’t launch on PC at the time.

Please people, support original IPs and independent developers and get this game.

6. Shazbut says:

Yayifications!

7. Khemm says:

Wow. Some GREAT news today for a change. First Alan Wake getting a PC version, now this.

Unfortunately, the video doesn’t load for me.

• Adam Smith says:

Sorry about that – the embed code seems to get mangled in transition. I’ll throw in a link as well and as soon as I find a copy somewhere more friendly, I’ll replace it.

8. Igor Hardy says:

Great! I was long waiting for the PC version’s announcement. Also I enjoyed Costume Quest way more than I expected to.

Hodge says:

This is good news indeed.

TheApologist says:

Great – I never quite got around to this on PS3. I might well give it a go on peecee

11. asshibbitty says:

I played the demo on one of the consoles and it had terrible input lag. Hope that’s fixed.

12. Untruth says:

This really is an absolutely wonderful game. It has some flaws in the standard Double Fine fashion where you suddenly think “wait, haven’t I done this task before?!”, but this is so heavily outweighed by such magnificent art direction and a truly unique concept.

13. johnpeat says:

I really liked the demo on 360 – seemed genuinely clever and inventive with solutions actually making sense without being terribly obvious.

Never really felt the need to play the full game – not really my cuppa – but if you like the idea you’ll almost certainly love the real thing.

Mechanicus_ says:

Trenched/Iron Brigade has been spotted in a Steam registry update, and was also recently rated for release on PC by the ESRB; sounds pretty certain we are getting that too (awesome).

Next, Dark Souls please?

• Khemm says:

Darks Souls – made by From Software, in Japan, published by Namco Bandai. The chances are close to zero, have they ever made a PC game?

• Buemba says:

@Khemm

From Software released Ninja Blade for the PC. Too bad that game was apparently terrible.

• johnpeat says:

No point bringing Dark Souls to PC – the “it’s a console game” whingers would explode (as it is, resolutely, a console game).

It’s also a pastiche of PC RPGs anyway – it would resolutely need a controller (or have to change radically in terms of how it works) – it’s just not worth the effort.

• Khemm says:

@johnpeat
      I don’t know… I’m getting some serious Severance Blade of Darkness vibes from Dark Souls, and that is one PC game I love.

Mechanicus_ says:

They have been asked about Dark Souls for PC and have basically said they are keeping their options open. Whether a Japanese game gets ported to PC mostly has to do with how appealing it is to a Western audience; Dark Souls has proved very popular with that audience. I’m fairly certain they will also have seen the articles contrasting Dark Souls favorably against Skyrim, and then seen that Skyrim sold megabusters on Steam. They aren’t idiots.

The idea that the controls are impossible to do on a mouse and keyboard is hilarious.

• db1331 says:

This is one franchise I would LOVE to see come to PC. What those guys are able to do on the consoles is amazing. Dark Souls looks incredible. Unfortunately it suffers from framerate issues when you have too much going on, though. But on PC, it would be a real thing of beauty. I suppose you COULD play it with a mouse and keybaord, but there’s no way I would want to. I actually played it last night for the first time in a month and made some real progress. Love that game.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

There are very few console games of this generation that I would love to have on The Correct Platform. Dark Souls is pretty much at the top.

• Tuco says:

@Raiyan: Yeah, same goes for me.

thekeats1999 says:

Can I ask what makes Dark/Demon Souls “Resolutely a Console Game”? I plug a wireless controller into my PC and plug my PC to my HD TV and play Arkham City or Saints Row the Third on it and my PC becomes a glorified PC. So what makes Dark Souls so alien to PC gamers.

I have always viewed the Dark/Demon Souls (and by extension the Kings Field games) as a more streamlined (but more combat focused) version of the likes of the Gothic series.

This is something that has always annoyed me, we can play the full spectrum of games from Zynga’s overly simplistic Facebook games all the way through to complex spreadsheet simulators like the X series, yet God of War for some reason is only suited to a console or Alan Wake is only suited to a console.

No game is only ever suited to a console, especially when I can plug a controller into my PC and plug my PC into the HD TV that my PS3 is plugged into (which my PC already is).

PS I apologise if this seems overly harsh. I currently have alcohol (paid for by the company I work with) coursing through my system and I will be lucky if this maeks any sense at all.

15. InternetBatman says:

I’m really glad this is coming, but I hope they promote it better. Costume Quest took me completely by surprise, and it made me kind of sad to see it fall from the list of top sellers so quickly. Just an interview or two and a couple of press-releases would probably raise consciousness of it on PC. Many significantly smaller indie studios manage to drum up more enthusiasm.

Then again I’m hearing about this before it actually comes out so that’s a plus.

16. diebroken says:

For some reason, I’m getting a Bad Influence vibe from that image…

17. chiablo says:

I want Trenched (Iron Brigade)!

Lambchops says:

Was pretty indifferent about Costume Quest (unless someone cares to correct me!) but this looks wonderful.

• Untruth says:

Costume Quest is ADORABLE. It’s just so lovingly created, cute, heart warming and gentle to play.

But, it’s not for everyone. It really is by every definition, a ‘my first RPG’. It has the collectables that get you hooked, the adventure, the progression, but it lacks the depth that really makes you invest in it beyond just completing it. Despite such intricate worlds, they also feel… sparse… there’s just never quite enough things to do. Compare it to the old top-down Zeldas and I think you realise how sparse it can feel.

I love it but it isn’t without faults. It was also the perfect, perfect franchise to have huge DLC packs with totally new themes (Christmas, etc) but Double Fine really haven’t “gone there”, which is a shame.

• InternetBatman says:

Well there is Grubbins on ice which goes into Christmas. I think the simple gameplay couldn’t support a full sized game, but it’s the perfect length to show off its great atmosphere and good writing.

19. pupsikaso says:

Nothing to be really excited about. Played the demo on the PS3 and found absolutely nothing in that would be worth it’s price.

20. armaankhan says:

I just just just yesterday started playing this on my brother’s Xbox, and it is awesome. I didn’t care much for Psychonauts (it’s a horrible horrible game people!!), so I was expecting this one to be overrated as well, but it’s actually very charming and addicting, to the point that I’m actually taking my time going about and doing all the superfluous challenges and whatnot, and I usually stay away from superfluous content in games. They just seem so… unnecessary.

See what I did there?

Nogo says:

The hyperbole backup generator had to be switched on so there’s enough for the rest of the internet.

21. CLD says:

If they’re going to release it a year later and with no demo, i think i’ll pass. We’re not second class gamers, Double Fine.

• Masem says:

Double Fine’s choice of initial publication is up to their publishers.

Schafer said they wanted to press on THQ for PC release, THQ didn’t want to and thus didn’t fund it.

Now that contract terms have probably expired, Schafer + co are free to release as they see fit and/or with THQ’s late blessing.

22. Odeon says:

Am I the only one that read the last line like this?:

No date yet, but I’m tempted to say ‘Russian doll is forgiven’.

23. Suits says:

Too bad Brütal Legend will never happen on PC

24. RagingLion says:

My feelings are summed up by noting that as soon as I comprehended the title of this article I instincitvely punched 2 fists into the air.

25. phenom_x8 says:

What the hell is happening on our platform??

Every game company that said it was not worth supported years ago suddenly cameback and beg for our mercy (or money) ?

Do special investigation for this, RPS! So that we knew what their true intention all this time!

Lars Westergren says:

Doesn’t require investigative journalism: They though it wasn’t worth it. Now they think it is. Simple as that. No conspiracies needed.

26. foda500orama says:

I love how this is and Costume Quest PC were banked by a rich canadian dude. Bless him.

• Nick says:

This is exactly what I would do if I were superbly wealthy. Good on him.

(and some medical research too of course)

27. Shadowcat says: