Helihatred And Cannibalism: Prototype 2

By Adam Smith on December 16th, 2011 at 4:42 pm.

A man with crustaceous arms flies over New York looking for people to consume and become. Never change, interactive entertainment.

A new dev diary for Prototype 2 makes it look more interesting than some of the previous tentrailacle-themed gorefests. The men who speak in it appear to have good ideas about both hunting and killing, and the kind of freedom on offer, even if it will eventually lead to bloody murders in every instance, is something I can imagine myself enjoying. It’s also worth noting that I don’t think I’ve heard a better quote from a developer this year than: “Someone just fell out the sky and landed on a guy and then ate him”. That comes complete with excited hand motions, as you’ll see if you join me below.

The seriousness of the talk combined with the utter nonsense of the game footage is a juxtaposition I enjoy. I particularly like the fact that the “more and more cool and crazy things you can do” culminates in beating up a helicopter, which as far as I’m aware is the second most common activity in the game, pipped to the post by falling out of the sky and eating people.

I look forward to performing both activities at some point in 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Brun says:

The original Prototype felt like Assassin’s Creed 1 to me – incredibly fun at first and then extremely repetitive.

Hopefully Radical can succeed where Ubisoft failed and make the sequel engaging for more than half of the game.

• Zyrxil says:

I completely disagree- Where Assassin’s Creed was repetitive because the missions were repetitive and outside the missions, combat wasn’t at all hard or entertaining. Prototype had some great missions, even if some of the defense ones sucked; plus, the combat was interesting enough to sustain interest while just roaming around.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

It did have an utterly awfully paced first hour or two, a whiole checklist of wrong:
      -Powers taken away after short taste. Check.
      -Incomprehensible plot. Check.
      -Nightmarishly difficult boss fight in atypical terrain. Check.

Bloody good fun after that, but still.

2. Shooop says:

Honestly, if you don’t want to fall out of the sky and eat another person I don’t know what to tell you. I’d be so very deeply saddened and disappointed.

• Muzman says:

I wish you did actually eat people though. It sorta looks like you absorb them in a squidgified way.
      I wanted to see him swallow them with a huge distended mouth/stomach apparatus like some disgusting sea creature.

3. Odeon says:

This looks what I can only call Interesting!

What I wonder about is how much of what is shown in the video is “cut-scene” and how much is actually playing. The portion where the helicopter gets told to bugger off looks like a cut-scene with little or no player interaction. The portion where the dude walks up to the truck to begin hacking looks like more cut-scene, but it’s possible that there’s some kind of mini-game going on immediately after that.

4. Bhazor says:

“Imagine the effect this will have on the guys around him”

5. Calabi says:

Do they deal at all with the fact that this guy has been turned into a monster. I mean is the protagonist not even a little bit disgusted with himself, what he is. Or is he just “Yeah I’m bad arse”.

• mouton says:

“I am just betrayed and misunderstood and I am in REAL hurry so I think I am sorry about all those people I filleted randomly and drove over with a tank”

6. mouton says:

I wish game/film writers wouldn’t resort to utter stupidity when in need of some plot element.

I mean, secret network access vans parked around like kebab stands with no one around them and with screens full of secret data open to the world. Yyyeah.

7. Richeh says:

Mmmm, funny to watch them get all enthusiastic about the amazing new stuff that was all in Prototype 1. All they have to do is re-release Prototype with a non-shit main mission set, and I’ll play it.

For me, the only thing that broke the old one was the periodic confiscation of your badassery.

• Commisar says:

me too, this first one got really repetitive, but this one is looking good

8. Doctor Nil says:

Is it just me or are the devs actually scarier than anything in the game? They seem to lurk in dark rooms thinking up terrifying new power-trip ways to hunt down and kill random people, all the while growing their facial hair…

“We wanted to give the player the opportunity, not just to seek out their target, but to find out about their target in the first place. So this kind of talks to this concept of Black Net… and then you gain rewards in the form of mutations!”

9. Pinky09 says:

I loved Prototype 1, and i still play it.

On video: Alpha Gameplay? isn’t the game 4 months away? they’re still in alpha?

• Doctor Nil says:

“So this kind of talks to this concept of Black Net…”

10. Hatsworth says:

Wow, more than 30 seconds before the “visceral” marketing speak was uttered! This might be some sort of record.