Legolas At last: Lego Lord Of The Rings

By Jim Rossignol on December 17th, 2011 at 9:10 am.

Sorry mate, they don't come in your size.
While this isn’t actually a game announcement as such, the confirmation that next summer is the summer of Lego Lord Of The Rings does rather suggest that there will be a Lego LOTR game. I’ll be looking forward to Lego Ents, Lego Balrog, Lego Orks, Lego Eye Of Mordor, and, of course, Legolas. It also strikes me that the minifigs will need to be extra-mini for Lego Hobbits and dwarves. Hmm.

, .

1. RogB says:

there’s always been ‘extra mini’ minifigs, they just use shorter (immobile) legs. (eg jawas, ‘child’ characters like anakin, the current dwarfs in the castle range)

edit: oh, and Yoda

2. Prime says:

Yay! These games speak to my inner eight-year-old. Here’s hoping we get a Lego Ride of the Rohirrim! Lego ponies for the win!

3. Miker says:

Excellent headline, Jom. Keep up the good work.

On topic: I’ve yet to play a Lego game. If I had to play one, which should it be?

• westyfield says:

Everyone says Indy is terrible, so it’s probably best to skip that, but otherwise I’d say play them in order. Star Wars episodes 1 to 3 was the first.

• PearlChoco says:

I Only played Lego Indy, and I loved it!

bear912 says:

I didn’t hear great things about Batman, either. I played Lego Indiana Jones and it was alright, but a bit uninspired. I’d definitely start with one of the Lego Star Wars games, probably the “Complete Saga” (which is basically the first two games, both excellent) or the Clone Wars, which I hear is excellent as well. Lego Harry Potter was fantastic as well, but my experience with it was marred by a few frustrating bugs. I also highly recommend playing them in co-op if you can, since they’re oodles more fun to enjoy with other people. Play them with a child, a sibling, a roommate, or a significant other, whichever is applicable to you. I haven’t played any of them since the first Lego Harry Potter game, sadly, but I hear they are fantastic as well.

I also recommend playing with a controller if it’s convenient, since the lack of analogue movement with a keyboard makes some of the platforming a bit tricky. Not necessary, but it will probably improve your experience.

• DigitalSignalX says:

I found the lego star wars to be a bit un-intuitive, and relied a bit too much on QTE’s and the tedious going back and forth to previous levels with characters you unlock later on in order to advance the “plot.”

The Harry Potter series though has been pretty good, and actually follows the books decently rather then just basically being a series of themed set pieces.

bear912 says:

When were there QTEs? I don’t remember any quicktime events, to be honest.

• RakeShark says:

I believe Lego Indy has a wonderful cathartic activity of smashing Short Round into a dozen pieces over and over again until you don’t find the brat annoying and can forgive Speilberg for that transgression.

Jebediah Adder says:

I’d like to praise Lego Batman, as no one else does. I think it’s by far the funniest of the lot, and the level design really benefits from not being based on a movie.

4. hypercrisis says:

Lord of the Rings strikes me as a relatively bleak choice for Lego. The movies were rather dark I thought. Certainly lacking in the humour typical with things made into Lego.

5. Roshin says:

No, no, NO! I want Lego Terminator or, best of all, Lego Aliens. Goddammit.

• Prime says:

Lego Doctor Who.

• GallonOfAlan says:

+1 LEGO Doctor Who. What’s the point in LEGO Terminator or Aliens? They’re far too adult for the target audience, and they don’t have the ready-made range of characters and abilities you need for a LEGO game, which is why the Indy ones were fairly shite. Doctor Who is a perfect franchise for it.

6. TomEllinson says:

Brikwars.com

That is all I have to say related to this.

bear912 says:

Excellent news! Perhaps new game to feed my hobbit of buying Lego games! They’d better release one, or elf I might have to do something drastic.

8. CaspianRoach says:

I’ll wait for Lego RPS.

9. bill says:

Sweet! That’s the kid’s birthday and christmas presents sorted for the next 10 years. Poor lasses…

10. Jabberwocky says:

T’was in the first Age, when Morgoth sang his disharmony and cursed the Legoverse. Forevermore, lego builders everywhere could never find that one last friggin piece they need to finish their lego castle, pirate ship, or space fighter.

11. jaquelined says:

Such an wonderful topic for me.
    Overstock Promo Code

12. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Fantastic! This will be the first Lego game I buy. :D COLOUR MEH EXCITED.

13. Creeping Death says:

Orcs…

Er anyway, I’m already sold on this :)

14. Kantorai says:

So where will they fit the Lego logo on that ring – along the side perhaps?

15. Freud says:

You can’t spell Smeagol without lego.

16. FunkyBadger3 says:

Fucking yes.

17. Jahkaivah says:

Why do I have the feeling this isn’t going to be the end of the Legolas jokes….