The RPS Bargain Bucket: All Vindicated

By Lewie Procter on December 17th, 2011 at 12:39 pm.

Are you ready? Things are kind of quiet at the moment, aside from the constant distant humming of bundles bundles bundles. Next week is when everything starts going crazy, and the Christmas sales seasons really kicks off. Word on the street is a 20th of December start for the Steam Christmas sale, but you didn’t hear that from me. Read on for the best download deals around this weekend, and you can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk to steer you through the upcoming assault on your gaming budget.

Saints Row: The Third – £13.99
Apply coupon “pcgamer20″. Registers on Steam.
You may actually prefer to hold out until the 23rd, when you should be able to get this for roughly the same price (£14.99) via the THQ store, as it will come with all of the DLC that early adopters do not get for free. I’m not sure of the regional availability on this offer, but it should be data smuggle friendly. Here’s wot John thought.

GOG Christmas sale
There’s far too many items on sale here to list, almost everything in the GOG back catalogue has received a 50% discount. Classics like Planescape: Torment, The Fallout series, Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, Outcast, The Longest Journey & more at all available for just a couple of quid each. What’s you favourite old game that everyone should check out?

The Blackwell Trilogy: Remastered, Dino D-Day, Eets, GreenTech+ & The Oil Blue – £2.33/€2.78/$3.62 at time of writing.
Disclaimer: I work for Indie Royale/IndieGames.com.
The latest Indie Royale bundle comprises of the newly remastered Blackwell Trilogy, with new voice acting, audio commentary and other enhancements. Perhistoric/WW2 mash-up FPS Dino D-Day. Cute puzzler Eets, and Weirdo oil station management/sim The Oil Blue.

Bit.Trip.Runner, Cave Story+, Gratuitous Space Battles, Jamestown, NighSky HD, Shank & Super Meat Boy – £3.43/€4.09/$5.34 at time of writing.
Beat the minimum to get all the games, or pay any price to get all but Cave Story+ & Gratuitous Space Battles. All register on Steam, and come with their soundtracks.
Another amazing bundle from the humble lot. Cave Story+ is a relatively new release (Albeit a remake of an earlier freeware game), Super Meat Boy was my favourite game of last year, and the rest are all solid titles too. Like all Humble bundles, these are for PC, Mac and Linux.

Deal of the week
Crysis 2 – £3.75/€4.47/$9.95
Here’s wot Jim thought of this manshooting sequel:

Ultimately, though, this is a moderately magnificent game. (Apart from those moments where it’s a game about being stuck in a room listening to people talk. Why do you do that, developers? Why?) In its campaign mode it is a straightforwardly linear shooter, and fenced in by all the scripting and expectations of that genre, but I can’t help feel that its setting and scope are far more interesting and entertaining than any of the modern military shooters. Sure, it has moments of nonsense and the villain might as well be wearing an “I’m With Evil” tee, but that’s all vindicated. Just the destruction of Manhattan, and Crytek’s vision of that, is worth playing this for. It’s far more inventive and intelligent than I expected, and even though none of the combat was genuinely challenging (at least on normal difficulty) the capacity to leap, slide, vault, mantle, (even lean, in a context-based way) and actually explore little bits of the environment make this entertaining to play with… I recommend it.

It’s totally a must play at that price. I think it’s less ambitious than the first game, where it counts, but still a hell of a ride.

Also of note:
Explodemon, Frozen Synapse, New Star Soccer 5, Munch’s Odyssey, Serious Sam: Double D – Pay what you want.
Magicka – £1.99/€2.49/$2.49

Hit up SavyGamer.co.uk whenever you fancy a cheap game to play.

1. Dominic White says:

Crysis 2 is severely underrated, IMHO. And at that price, it’s ridiculously good value, especially now the DX11/Hyper-detail pack is out (an extra 2.3gb download here – http://www.mycrysis.com/dx11), as well as the mod/editor toolset, and a bunch of player-made single and multiplayer levels.

It might be slightly less ambitious than the first game, but I’d say that the actual quality of the gunfights is much higher, due to them being more actively designed, rather than just a big sandbox where you’re encouraged to exploit AI holes, rather than fight directly.

Interestingly, most of the user-made levels are jungle themed, Crysis 1 style. Apparently it’s much easier to make those than Crysis 2 style urban environments.

I bet this thread will be completely derailed by Origin/Direct2Drive moaning, though.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Aye, it’s a decent shooter.

• SquareWheel says:

Hate to say it, but not being on Steam is reason enough for me not to purchase. It’s just so damn convenient. Though I’d pay $20 right now if it were DRM free altogether, even if I don’t get those Steam conveniences.

Picked up The Witcher 2 for this reason the other day (though I somewhat regret it now with their suing of innocent people and whatnot).

• Gonefornow says:

Well I tried Crysis 2 on GaiKai (managed to remember the name..) yesterday for the first time and some things felt over simplified.

Nano suit has only two modes (or three if you count “normal”), which made using the radial menu (middle mouse )completely useless. Now it’s just E and Q which used to be the lean keys. Why take the lean keys away developers? WHY! They designed lean to work with the aim key (mouse 2), but that has to be context sensitive then and those go wrong so easilly and what if I want to aim to a wall or lean in the middle of the street.

“Can’t do that sonny and why would you even want to?”
      Well I just want to be in control ‘daddy’.
      “Ur crazy!”

Yeah thanks a bunch streamlined control scheme. I wonder why a revered studio like Crytek doesn’t make the remaps possible for the PC port, after all they had them in Crysis 1? It’s all in the days work for a coder to implement them, right?

To the game’s credit it felt solid and playable.
      (I tried Sniper the Ghost Warrior straight after that.*Shudders*)

@Dominic White
      Well, I tried it again and indeed it allows you to adjust exposure slightly with movement keys and mouse which is nice and dandy.

Unfortunately there is no “activate lean” key to speak of.
      Leaning is activated by pressing “zoom” and only works in context sensitive areas, such as chest-high walls and crates. That makes it less usable that lean keys or a fluid stance key (that’s what they called it in R6 3) as you can’t lean past a car, for instance, or any other object.

• Dominic White says:

They took away the lean key and replaced it with analogue leaning instead, which is far more flexible. Being able to poke the barrel of your gun JUST over cover enough to take a shot but not an inch more is far more useful than being able to digitally switch from standing straight vertical to a 45-degree torso bend.

Leaning in the original was of very, very little use. Now it’s absolutely common sense to use it.

• mrjackspade says:

Anyone getting a stupid phone validation thing for buying Crysis 2? None of the phone numbers I’ve tried works, then it directs me to a useless customer service page.

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Nope, I’m unable to buy from D2D either because of their asinine phone verification thing. They shouldn’t need my phone number anyway.

One small lost sale now, but this guarantees I’m not going to bother trying them again. Way too much effort.

• Casimir Effect says:

Anyone know if this will register on Origin? MoH did which I got from D2D a few weeks back so I’d be surprised if this didn’t.

Edit: For people having issues with the phone validation I had that problem too a few weeks back when trying to buy Medal of Honor. Emailed the customer service after my phone numbers not recognising and within a day I had a reply to say my game was activated. So they are pretty damn good from what I’ve seen, to give credit where it’s due.

Edit2: It registers on Origin. And I had no phone woes this time.

• Jockie says:

Relevant if only because of the Calendar and because they’re both corridor shooters that pretend otherwise – I had much more fun with Crysis 2 than I did with Rage

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

I got the phone verification issues as well, but a quick e-mail to support solved it.

• Yosharian says:

Crysis 2 – terrible game. Do not buy.

Considering all the great games out at the moment, I don’t see how anyone can justify spending a cent, or a minute, playing this game.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Yosharian

I disagree, I thought it was a rather entertaining shooter, ticked all the right boxes, maybe didn’t quite grab me like crysis 1 did, but, that is almost to be expected.

It’s a great game, with a lot of good moments, and definately worth sinking some time into, if you liked the first one/sp fps games. Although, I probably wouldn’t want to be paying full price, it never ‘grabbed’ me enough to finish it completely.

In saying that though, there is some hefty competition at the moment. Skyrim, Minecraft (still) :/
      I haven’t even had time to install/play dues ex D:

• Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

Seriously considered picking it up at that price but alas, D2D and EA continues to refuse to accept money from Australians for most of its decent sale items – this included.

• djbriandamage says:

I bought Crysis 2 for $10, got about 2/3 of the way through I’d guess, and left it there. It’s vastly dumbed-down from the original game and it insists on subjecting you to numerous unskippable in-engine cutscenes that I just don’t care about (as well as numerous skippable prerendered cutscenes). It’s certainly a looker, though, and I do prefer shooting humanoid aliens than floating squiddies.

Am I sorry I spent $10 on it? Not yet, but I probably will be when I see what else I can buy for that much.

• grundus says:

I got Crysis 2 recently when it was £7.50 on Origin (£3.75! Why do I even buy games?), played up to a point but realised I’d only done about an hour on the first game. I never really planned to buy it, but I thought it was cheap enough and I had nothing else to buy at the time (little did I know the onslaught that was to come the week after would ruin my gaming budget…). I approached it with very low expectations, but so far I’ve really enjoyed it. Ok, it’s not perfect, but I’m looking for some relatively brainless shooters to play between the massively long RPGs I have to get through.

One thing I don’t like: Why did they have the change the suit voice from the first game? And why does the suit now talk to you ALL the time? Ok, two things.

• yourgrandma says:

Crysis 2 wasn’t even 1% as fun as Crysis. All the suit powers are nerfed/scritped because of the much smaller and enclosed level design. It doesn’t allow you to be nearly creative or have nearly much fun with the ai (which is just truly awful). I recommend giving far cry instincts/predator a try for the original xbox or 360. That game was developed for consoles exclusively and it still managed to retain some of the open level design and fun from the original far cry and it even has Crysis like powers (super speed/strength/jump) before Crysis did. Some how those games are better squeals than Crysis 2 is.

2. Ice-Fyre says:

I’m so gonna get Magicka in the Steam xmas sale, once I get some money lol

• myca77 says:

Well it’s cheap as chips for a few more hours in the daily deal, was tempted myself, but I’m being good and not buying games that I won’t get around to play, no matter how cheap they are.

3. The Codicier says:

Anyone have any experience with the THQ store? Good? Bad? or otherwise?

Free DLC pass for Saints Row: The Third in addition to that discount & & Space Marine(which will get the discount 50% on the 19th -20th) are both very tempting to me. And from what i can see Space Marine should also register on steam.

• Premium User Badge RobF says:

I picked up SR3 from it before launch, it’s a bog standard Digital River affair so it’s fairly uneventful and fine really.

4. sinister agent says:

Gog games I’d pick for variety and general goodity: Psychonauts, Darklands, Jagged Alliance 2, The Last Express, Hostile Waters. All excellent (and none of which I played when they originally came out, so it’s not nostalgia talking), and if you don’t like at least some of them, you are a bad person. Yes.

• airtekh says:

Hostile Waters has been absent from GoG for a few months now. Don’t know why it disappeared. :(

• sinister agent says:

Oh damn, you’re right. It’s still appearing in my list for download, which is something at least. Presumably there’s been some kind of legal challenge somewhere. That’s a real shame. It’s a terrific game. I can’t think of anything quite like it.

Edit: For reference, I’ve found a post on gog’s forums from one of their staff:

Let me assuage your ill-omened feeling. Interplay is involved in a kerfluffle over the rights, so they have asked every digital distributor–which includes GOG–to delist the game. Once things have settled down, we’ll look into offering Hostile Waters for sale again.

Everyone who’s purchased Hostile Waters will still have it on his or her shelf and will continue to be able to download it as desired. We’re sorry if this has ruined your plans for a Hostile Waters-themed LAN holiday party or whatnot, but we don’t know yet whether the title will be removed from GOG or not in the end, so we haven’t made a formal announcement.

We’ll keep you updated as we know more.

It’s dated a year ago, so who knows. But hopefully it’ll be back on sale somewhere, as it’s well worth playing.

• mbp says:

Ah … pity. Hostile Waters (Atares Rising to the Yanks) was a criminally underrated game. If memory serves it had a rather unusual control scheme that put a lot of reviewers off.

• Skabooga says:

I’d like to throw in a recommendation for Little Big Adventure 2 on GOG during the sale, an old action-adventure game bursting with joy and imagination.

5. Shake says:

Does anyone know if the Saints Row: The Third comes with separate codes for the DLC? If so I was planning on giving the base game to a friend (for co-op funtimes) and using the DLC codes on my own already-registered copy on Steam.

Thanks in advance!

• Premium User Badge RobF says:

I don’t know about this one but the one I picked up from THQ had all the DLC as separate codes.

• Shake says:

Thanks, RobF!

I should have specified that I meant the version from the THQ store – I plan to take up the offer on the 23rd-24th, so sounds good!

6. Leeroy says:

Is anyone else finding that their browser grinds to a halt on the D2D website?

7. Duckee says:

My country IP is blocked from purchasing Crysis 2 :( Norway..

• Avish says:

I got that message too, so my 10$ went to Shogun 2 (steam sale) instead, with the hopes of playing it one day.

8. Quasar says:

I’ve been replaying Dungeon Keeper, which I grabbed along with a sack of other childhood classics from the GOG sale. It’s still just as brilliant as it was then, by the way.

9. BarneyL says:

FEAR 3 is down to £9.99 over on Green Man Gaming.

10. oh_wayne says:

I don’t like the PCWorld download store. Either give me my product key or don’t take my money!

11. Risingson says:

I don’t know why you never mention http://www.dotemu.com . They have now a bunch of great deals, where the highlight is a “Dotemu collection” with the Silmarils games, the Nicky Boom games and some more. But there are also other interesting adventures in the deals.

12. Moni says:

Direct2Drive seem to have run out of Crysis 2 keys, which is a little bit infuriating.

13. RogB says:

crysis 2 seems to be completely unavailable. which is a bugger as ive been waiting a while for this (after it was leaked) and ive been out all day.. >:(

14. quijote3000 says:

“The current product you are looking for is currently not available” Either region locking, or they ran out of keys. Don’t you hate when you have money, and they refuse to take it?

15. Premium User Badge Aerothorn says:

Longest Journey isn’t actually on the GOG sale in the USA. Damn – was gonna make a friend buy it.

• johnpeat says:

Have you checked the actual game page for the price – it’s just a lot of Gog’s pages are still showing the ‘full’ price – but the game pages are updated with 50% off!?

16. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Hmm, hope there’s no problem ordering from the UK THQ store in the states since the “deals” are complete garbage in comparison. There’s always that nagging itch as good as it is to gamble on Steam knocking it down even more but that’s probably unlikely this next go round.

17. TulipWaltz says:

Say, anyone know if the original GalCiv is available for download anywhere? And I mean the first one, not the second, which I know was released on Steam recently.