Doctor Who: Worlds In Time Semi-Launches

By Adam Smith on December 20th, 2011 at 5:00 pm.

The Doctor has kissed everyone in that picture, including himself

There’s been another MMO launch today, sort of. The ‘open preview’ of Doctor Who: Worlds In Time can now be played over here. With The Old Republic now available, it would be fun if this was turned into a clash between widely loved sci-fi franchises but that is not to be. The two games are as different as two games can be, unless one were hopscotch and the other were the clash of Empires that was The Great Game of the nineteenth century. Doctor Who: WIT, you see, appears to be in the same mould as Three Rings’ previous title Puzzle Pirates. There’s a Doctor to dish out missions, themed puzzles and a bunch of familiar worlds to investigate. Could be fun. Sign up here, watch trailer below.

I’m quite happy to indulge in a bit of collaborative puzzling and jeer all you want, but I actually quite like the art style so I’ll probably give it a shot. It depends how pervasive the dreaded microtransactions are. The full release is due in the first quarter of 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Lewie Procter says:

Microtransactions? I’ve already paid for a TV license.

• timmyvos says:

They still have those in Britain? I didn’t know you were that behind the times, we got rid of them in the 70′s.

• Chris D says:

I’d still rather have TV made by people whose job it is to make interesting programmes instead of just pulling in the largest audience by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• FriendlyFire says:

Well, it does let them enjoy proper state TV, but hey, enjoy your partisan news channel eh?

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Hey, we’ve got to keep Attenborough in hookers and blow somehow.

• Wulf says:

@FriendlyFire

We’re talking about Fox News, right? I’m sure we are, because the BBC absolutely hates all politicians everywhere, with the vengeance of a thousand burning stars.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

God, a choice between paying a few quid a year to get high-quality programming or having my mind disintegrate into the sludge that is little mushy bits of wet towel by the inane drivel sandwhiched in between hours upon hours of advertising about other bits of inane drivel is no choice at all. You guys have reached the point where there is nearly MORE advertising than show. That is so very very wrong.

I don’t think anyone envies American TV. You have the money to fund shows, but all the good ones seem to get cancelled straight away. R.I.P Firefly, Arrested Development, and hopefully not Community.

• MadTinkerer says:

Hulu trumps them all. One or two commercials per break, and everything on-demand.

The only broadcast TV I watch anymore is during my lunch break because the break room television isn’t hooked up to a PC.

P.S. “Partizan” news channels* and too many adverts aside, it’s better than having TV run by the Ministry of Truth. If the BBC were competent news-wise, the popular view of Mad Cow Disease wouldn’t be 180 degrees away from the medical facts. (e.g. the fact that people can’t ever get CJD from BSE because they are two separate diseases. Prion-based diseases, not even a virus. You idiots.)

*Bashing Fox from England is especially silly, since Fox is the exception and most other American news channels are hippie lefty crap. You should be praising us for our ability to support multiple left-leaning news channels without resorting to government sponsorship.

• Tams80 says:

@ timmyvos

And we get the BBC as a result. I would not trade it for anything.

Next you’ll be saying our National Insurance is outdated. ¬.¬

@ timmyvos

The BBC is not the only TV news outlet. The other main ones are ITN (ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 news – Channel 4 is particularly good) and Sky News.

As for Hulu being better; the BBC iPlayer has no advertisements at all. Channel 4 OD only has two or three very short advert breaks.

Oh, and it’s the UK, not just England.

• FriendlyFire says:

Not just Fox News. While I have a clear left leaning, I know that all American channels have fairly high bias towards certain political parties, in large part due to them being privately funded and organized.

The BBC might get criticized all the fucking time, especially by British people, but they don’t realize the luck they have to have a neutral state television that doesn’t even have commercials. They can actually spend money on things that might not necessarily optimize views.

• tremulant says:

.The BBC justifies its funding with Radio 4 alone, anything else is just a bonus.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Awww I love these fun transatlantic banter sessions : ) I hear in the states, if you need a life saving operation but cannot pay, you get left on the street – like in medieval times. How quaint! In the UK, we have these things called taxes that pay for a health service available for all, for free. We are really futuristic in the UK, and have been since 1948. I know the US has taxes too, but over there they are meant for military spending so that you can conquer another set of foreigners. An admirable quest, and one we did back in the 1800′s – but gave up in the 20th century what with it being a bit behind the times. Still, america – well done. All we ever got out of it was tea. You got a load of oil and spawned the Modern Warfare series.

2. Chris D says:

I was going to try this but then it asked me for my date of birth and I was too embarassed to continue.

• Wulf says:

I’m not being nasty here, but wouldn’t it be more embarrassing to play a game where you kill so many people that it would make games of the 16-bit era blush (as so many games are today), than it would be to play something like this?

I don’t know, I think I’m the inverse. I’d be able to happily play something like that without feeling embarrassed at all. I suppose I don’t tie embarrassment to visuals, though.

• Chris D says:

It’s not that it’s a kids game. It’s that it’s an online multiplayer kids game. It’s the same reason I don’t hang around playgrounds just as school finishes for the day.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Hey! In my FPS-loving defense… I’m not the only war criminal around.

And anyway, if you’re not bullying kids into giving up their see-saws so you and your mates can have a go in the playground, you’re missing out. So this Dr Who:WIT obviously gets a thumbs up.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

For a brief, horrible moment I thought this was going to be another arrow in the knee comment.

Never has a meme become so ubiquitous and so hated so quickly. The meme-a-tron worked in overdrive on that one…

• The Tupper says:

I used to make arrow-in-the-knee comments, but then I got an arrow in the knee.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Do certain words ever suddenly strike you as odd? “Knee”. It looks weird written down. I have a suspicion it may be swedish in origin.
      ETYMOLOGY IS FUN.

3. wccrawford says:

Warning: Social Networking Game! You’ll be asked to buy energy to continue, like Mafia Wars.

4. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Hmm… It all looks a bit Club Peladon.

5. akeso says:

The real question we all want to know is “whether or not we can play as Tom Baker?”

Also,
    Are jellybabies a mirco-transaction item?

• phlebas says:

Nope, you’re a companion. And it’s post-RTD, so a will-they-won’t-they dynamic is no longer compulsory.

6. Dare_Wreck says:

Can’t wait for the Doctor Who: WIT: WIT post.

7. Vexing Vision says:

Oooh… like Puzzle Pirates? I love Puzzle Pirates.

This will be checked out, oh yes.

8. Wulf says:

Anyway, like it has been said… if this is anything at all like Puzzle Pirates then I’m likely going to lose a portion of my life to it, as I did with Puzzle Pirates. Because this is a Doctor Who-themed PP, and I did not ever think that such a thing could exist.

If the Judoon are a playable option, then I may lose ever increasingly ridiculous amounts of time to it.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how someone reacts to emulated Judoon language. Which is something that I would certainly do in a game, given the chance.

9. Joof says:

Doctor Who game by the Creator of Puzzle Pirates? Sounds like the best thing of all time.

10. neolith says:

That game looks like it does to Doctor Who what Episode1 did to StarWars.

11. wodin says:

The TV licence pays for the BBC. Which means all those who listen to the world service owe me money.

• Quine says:

IIRC it’s the foreign office that pay for World Service output- soft power and all that. Although I think there are moves afoot to fund it through the license fee coming up.

On topic- never played Puzzle Pirates but I met some of the team recently and they’re jolly nice chaps, so good luck to their endeavours in the Whovian space.

12. Mozai says:

Oh dear. Something I really liked about Three Rings Design is how they would use Java applications for their games (and well-written ones, too!), so the games would be fast and could be patched quickly and easily.
    This game… is using Macromedia Flash, and using it poorly. When a game depends on reaction time, having 4-8 frames per second is a disaster. I’m also surprised that the “Medium” display size is larger than my monitor’s display area, even when I’ve told my web browser to use the full screen. Furthermore, one of the minigames requires using the mouse scroll-wheel (the barricade game, and there’s no keyboard alternative), which my web browser also receives, sliding the whole viewing area up-and-down while I play.

I’ve done two missions, and it seems very pleasant, but the decisions for the technology to use is a rather big millstone around my neck if I wish to play this game any more. Such a pity, since Three Rings did so well with the technology for Puzzle Pirates and Spiral Knights.

13. UnravThreads says:

This.
    Is.
    Crap.

Seriously. Ugh. It decides to not respond quite often, and the puzzles are so tedious and drawn out that I got bored of the first fight with an Auton. Jeeeeeeeeez.

Does look good, though, and I could play a lady Silurian, so I was kinda happy about that.

• Ronin says:

So you’re telling me the open preview of a not finished game isn’t great.

M’right.